PDA

View Full Version : Question for the scouts on minor league pitching

Frater Perdurabo
06-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Scouts,

Given the, ahem, bullpen concerns on the major league team, are there any minor league pitchers (starters or relievers) who you think might be able to come to the big leagues now and pitch one or two innings of solid relief at a level above what we've seen from the Sox middle relief corps of late?

I know there isn't a lot of sentiment for "breaking in" a young pitcher while trying to defend a World Series Championship, but I'm wondering if a Tracey, Liotta or Broadway might provide better results than what we've seen out of the bullpen.

Thanks, as always, for sharing your insights...
:smile:

He gone
06-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Maybe Jeff Farnsworth or Javey Lopez. We've already seen Montero :?:

Frater Perdurabo
06-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Maybe Jeff Farnsworth or Javey Lopez. We've already seen Montero :?:

What about the top prospects among the starting pitchers? Does anyone believe any one or two of them could "apprentice" in the Sox bullpen, much like Buehrle did for the Sox in 2000, and perform at a higher level than Politte or Nelson has so far?

CHIsoxNation
06-02-2006, 05:41 PM
What about the top prospects among the starting pitchers? Does anyone believe any one or two of them could "apprentice" in the Sox bullpen, much like Buehrle did for the Sox in 2000, and perform at a higher level than Politte or Nelson has so far?

Isn't that sort of what Brandon is doing already? And that hasn't worked out that great as of yet. Between Jenks, Brandon, Thorton, Cotts and when Logan was up...we had to have had one of the youngest pens in the league. I don't know if that is such a good thing when you are trying to repeat a championship.

IMO...If they are going to add anyone to the bullpen, it should be a proven veteran through a trade if it's possible. Otherwise, we sit and hope the pen we have now finally gets it together down the stretch.

Frater Perdurabo
06-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Isn't that sort of what Brandon is doing already? And that hasn't worked out that great as of yet. Between Jenks, Brandon, Thorton, Cotts and when Logan was up...we had to have had one of the youngest pens in the league. I don't know if that is such a good thing when you are trying to repeat a championship.

IMO...If they are going to add anyone to the bullpen, it should be a proven veteran through a trade if it's possible. Otherwise, we sit and hope the pen we have now finally gets it together down the stretch.

You're concern about a "young bullpen" certainly is valid. I'd like to see a sure-fire, lock down veteran reliever in the pen, too. Yet the Sox swept the World Series with a rookie closer.

Yes, McCarthy is "apprenticing," and has done quite well in the role, apart from bombing in four appearances: two in Cleveland, one in Anaheim, and one in Seattle. He has been dominant at the Cell (1.26 ERA).

I'm more concerned about the veteran Politte: he's been pretty bad at home (6.75 ERA) and got hammered in very brief appearances in Toronto and Kansas City.

And in an admittedly tiny sample size, the curmudgeonly Nelson has been brutal against righties while doing OK versus lefties. This merits close scrutiny in the games ahead...

tm1119
06-03-2006, 07:43 PM
I think Broadway is too valueable to bring up right now. His future is too bright to risk it when it can be solved in different ways. Maybe for a September call-up its worth a shot but right now id much rather see him starting in the minors.