PDA

View Full Version : Ran into BA and McCarthy tonight

mbwhitesox
06-02-2006, 03:30 AM
Me and a couple of buddies closed down Duffy's on Diversey and as we were leaving we walked through a group of people and I look up and this guy is the spitting image of Brain Anderson and I say to him "hey are you Brain Anderson?" and he says "no if I was Brain Anderson I'd be hitting better" and then my very drunk buddy asks him for an ID to "prove" he's not BA and then we turn around and right behind us is Brandon McCarhty talking to a couple chicks and as soon as we saw him we knew who they were.

Both very cool guys, McCarhty seemed more interested in the girls he was talking to than us and my friends (understandably so) but Brain Anderson was cool as hell, as the bouncers were trying to kick us out he motioned us over and we did a shot of Jager with him, toasted to the Sox, and to hitting above the Mendoza line :redneck

Great night. Incidentally I ran into Neal Cotts at the Diversey Rock n Bowl the other week after he blew the game against the Cubs, he was not as much fun as BA and McCarthy were.

Mr. White Sox
06-02-2006, 03:51 AM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:O7DOlylGY-q8iM:www.ninjaturtles.com/profiles/prokrang.gif
Brain Anderson, eh?

He definitely seems like a cool guy. START HITTING! :smile:

DumpJerry
06-02-2006, 06:59 AM
You ran into them a few hours after they got done playing in Cleveland?

Talk about quick getaways. Must be Southwest Airlines.

jenn2080
06-02-2006, 07:03 AM
Im assuming that this was not yesterday since they are in Cleveland.

johnny bench
06-02-2006, 08:18 AM
They got back to Chicago at 11:30 Thursday nite...

CPditka
06-02-2006, 08:39 AM
Slightly irritating seeing as I had to cancel a trip to Duffys with my boys last night because I stayed in and worked. I guess that means I definetly will be leaving work early today.

jenn2080
06-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Pretty pathetic that they hang out at one the worst places in Chicago

DaleJRFan
06-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Me and a couple of buddies closed down Duffy's on Diversey and as we were leaving we walked through a group of people and I look up and this guy is the spitting image of Brain Anderson and I say to him "hey are you Brain Anderson?" and he says "no if I was Brain Anderson I'd be hitting better" and then my very drunk buddy asks him for an ID to "prove" he's not BA and then we turn around and right behind us is Brandon McCarhty talking to a couple chicks and as soon as we saw him we knew who they were.

Both very cool guys, McCarhty seemed more interested in the girls he was talking to than us and my friends (understandably so) but Brain Anderson was cool as hell, as the bouncers were trying to kick us out he motioned us over and we did a shot of Jager with him, toasted to the Sox, and to hitting above the Mendoza line :redneck

Great night. Incidentally I ran into Neal Cotts at the Diversey Rock n Bowl the other week after he blew the game against the Cubs, he was not as much fun as BA and McCarthy were.

blah... Neal Cotts is a lot of fun. He's just really passive. I ran into him at a bar in Cubland. I forget which, but he was really cool and very down to earth.

Awesome story, though.

miker
06-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Pretty pathetic that they hang out at one the worst places in Chicago
Maybe their choice of hangouts is affecting their performance on the field...

chisoxfanatic
06-02-2006, 09:57 AM
blah... Neal Cotts is a lot of fun. He's just really passive. I ran into him at a bar in Cubland. I forget which, but he was really cool and very down to earth.

Awesome story, though.

Totally agree with your assessment of Neal Cotts. Of all the baseball players at ISU, he was the one who would talk the LEAST. He is a very nice person who won't hurt a soul.

If I blew a game against the Cubs, I wouldn't be super-chipper right afterward.

bigsqwert
06-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Maybe their choice of hangouts is affecting their performance on the field...

Maybe it's not where they are hanging out to drink but the fact that they are going out and drinking? I know my work is affected the next day whenever I go out to the wee hours of the morning and pound a few.

voodoochile
06-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Maybe it's not where they are hanging out to drink but the fact that they are going out and drinking? I know my work is affected the next day whenever I go out to the wee hours of the morning and pound a few.

Who says they were pounding?

What time do they need to be at the ballpark today anyway? 4:00? Should give them plenty of rest time.

The Immigrant
06-02-2006, 10:08 AM
McCarthy probably needed some Wild Turkey to forget Belliard's ugly mug.

In all seriousness, if this story is true it does not reflect terribly well on these guys' professionalism, especially considering how last night's game ended.

Jerko
06-02-2006, 10:10 AM
About a month ago, a girl I know saw those 2 at Punchinello's and had them sign her jersey. We were at the game the next night and I was teasing her about Anderson and boom, he hit a homer. I should do that more often.

woodsdavid
06-02-2006, 10:11 AM
They got back to Chicago at 11:30 Thursday nite...

how do you know this, sox stalker?

miker
06-02-2006, 10:12 AM
I guess it all depends on what you do...what's more dangerous: hungover stockbroker or hungover schoolbus driver?

MsSoxVixen22
06-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Sounds like Brian Anderson and McCarthy need to concentrate more on baseball. If not they may find themselves on a bus back to AAA

bigsqwert
06-02-2006, 10:15 AM
I guess it all depends on what you do...what's more dangerous: hungover stockbroker or hungover schoolbus driver?

I guess I expect more from my athletes. I want them to have every edge possible. Going out drinking late in the evening isn't giving you any sort of edge. They get paid a heck of a lot of money to perform. I would expect them to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

miker
06-02-2006, 10:19 AM
I guess I expect more from my athletes. I want them to have every edge possible. Going out drinking late in the evening isn't giving you any sort of edge. They get paid a heck of a lot of money to perform. I would expect them to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
I'm with you...but I also remember what I was like as a single in my 20s and I could burn the candle at both ends every night.

tweek57
06-02-2006, 10:27 AM
How can you deprive a 23 year old, who's making ~$300K a year and is relatively famous and good looking of late night fun. I wouldn't expect them to jump off the plane and then immediately get home and go to bed, they're professional athletes, it's just silly to expect anything else.

kwolf68
06-02-2006, 10:30 AM
How can you deprive a 23 year old, who's making ~$300K a year and is relatively famous and good looking of late night fun. I wouldn't expect them to jump off the plane and then immediately get home and go to bed, they're professional athletes, it's just silly to expect anything else.

If McCarthy was pitching better I'd agree. :redneck I don't expect him to get to bed, but some extra work on the mound may not hurt.

Dan Mega
06-02-2006, 10:35 AM

Possibly a bar called "Mix" which is near Halsted and Wolfram. I have seen him there on more than one occasion. The last time I ran into him, we were ooo-ing and aaah-ing the high powered hand dryers in the men's bathroom:tongue: .

jenn2080
06-02-2006, 10:36 AM

I dont see them still be hung over by 4pm if so they got problems

bigsqwert
06-02-2006, 10:37 AM
it's just silly to expect anything else.I guess I have high expectations.

jenn2080
06-02-2006, 10:37 AM
:?: If McCarthy was pitching better I'd agree. :redneck I don't expect him to get to bed, but some extra work on the mound may not hurt.

Do you expect him to go to the stadium with AJ and start practicing pitching? I doubt that.

goldglovesox
06-02-2006, 10:48 AM
If McCarthy was pitching better I'd agree. :redneck I don't expect him to get to bed, but some extra work on the mound may not hurt.

So you expect them to go to the park at 11:30 at night and start practicing? Also this has nothing to do with professionalism. They are young guys who have jobs just like any of us. The wins and losses do not matter as much to them as they do to us. Simply because they know that they will go out there the next day. I remember in the minor leagues, you win and its like hey man lets celebrate go to the bar. You lose man lets go to the bar and forget about this one. I would expect nothing less of these guys. When you start staying in and thinking about everything is when things go south and you become miserable. Lay off these guys.

Chicken Dinner
06-02-2006, 10:49 AM
:?:

Do you expect him to go to the stadium with AJ and start practicing pitching? I doubt that.

Batting cages........interleague is coming. :wink:

jenn2080
06-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Batting cages........interleague is coming. :wink:

They would have to go to Sluggers :-) Pretty positive they would not get noticed there.

CurtisEBear
06-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Didn't David Wells say he pitched that perfect game in '98 with a "skull rattling hangover?"

Baseball and drinking go hand in hand. Back in the old days, some of the players were :gulp:during the games.

Smoked in the dugout, too.

White Sox Randy
06-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Is there really anyone that believes that the best ballplayers go directly to their hotel room after the game, go right sleep, then wake up and go to the park and start working out ?

Have you ever met a ballplayer ? They are actually human beings.

peeonwrigley
06-02-2006, 11:07 AM
I didn't go out last night, but I have seen these two out in Lincoln Park together a couple of times in the past (once for dollar bottles night... are you kidding me?). Usually it is right after a road trip ends. McCarthy drives a very nice car.

I sure hope Ozzie reads this thread and puts an end to any fun underperforming players may have.

Yeah, they're pros... if this was before a day game I might be a little put off by it. But chances are of everyone at Duffy's late last night they could sleep in the latest.

Jose.Contreras
06-02-2006, 11:07 AM
They would have to go to Sluggers :-) Pretty positive they would not get noticed there.

I'd recognize them. I live 1 block from Sluggers and I've been going there for years. One of best friends manages the bar. His family owns the joint. Sluggers is where I get to witness moronic Cub fans all day long. It's hilarious wathcing these idiots drink and drink and rink and have no friggin' clue about the actual baseball team that plays acorss the street. Hilarious

jenn2080
06-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I'd recognize them. I live 1 block from Sluggers and I've been going there for years. One of best friends manages the bar. His family owns the joint. Sluggers is where I get to witness moronic Cub fans all day long. It's hilarious wathcing these idiots drink and drink and rink and have no friggin' clue about the actual baseball team that plays acorss the street. Hilarious

You would and any Sox fan but not anyone else

skobabe8
06-02-2006, 11:38 AM

In all seriousness, if this story is true it does not reflect terribly well on these guys' professionalism, especially considering how last night's game ended.

:rolleyes:

DaleJRFan
06-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Possibly a bar called "Mix" which is near Halsted and Wolfram. I have seen him there on more than one occasion. The last time I ran into him, we were ooo-ing and aaah-ing the high powered hand dryers in the men's bathroom:tongue: .

I was pretty far gone by the time I got to the place so I don't remember, and even if I do, I don't know that side of town too well to identify it by cross streets...

It was a bachelor party for a dude I went to highschool with... he was Cotts' catcher at ISU and he also works for the Bulls/Sox Academy as a catching instructor. I just so happened to stumble into the bar and they were all there. Strange occurance since I hadn't seen half those guys since highschool.

Vernam
06-02-2006, 12:01 PM

In all seriousness, if this story is true it does not reflect terribly well on these guys' professionalism, especially considering how last night's game ended.:rolleyes: C'mon, a couple of single young guys having a few drinks on a Thursday night while trying to meet girls? Maybe instead of the Sox we should root for the Rockies (http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060619/zirin), who are getting good press for their clean living.

Brian might not be long for the Show, so he needs to chase big-league ***** while he can.

Vernam

kittle42
06-02-2006, 12:10 PM
:rolleyes: C'mon, a couple of single young guys having a few drinks on a Thursday night while trying to meet girls? Maybe instead of the Sox we should root for the Rockies (http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060619/zirin), who are getting good press for their clean living.

Brian might not be long for the Show, so he needs to chase big-league ***** while he can.

Vernam

Seriously. The recation of some of the posters in this thread to baseball players being at a bar (egads!) is laughable. What planet do some of you live on?

The Immigrant
06-02-2006, 12:29 PM
:rolleyes: C'mon, a couple of single young guys having a few drinks on a Thursday night while trying to meet girls? Maybe instead of the Sox we should root for the Rockies (http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060619/zirin), who are getting good press for their clean living.

Vernam

My reaction was solely based on these two single guys hitting the bars after a tough loss. If McCarthy had shut down the Tribe last night instead of wasting Dye's 3-run shot, I wouldn't give a flying **** if he stayed up all night slamming jaeger shots. Hell, I'd join him in a heartbeat. Call me hopelessly naive, but I would have expected that a loss like last night's would bother these guys as much as it bothered me. That's all.

ilsox7
06-02-2006, 12:32 PM
My reaction was solely based on these two single guys hitting the bars after a tough loss. If McCarthy had shut down the Tribe last night instead of wasting Dye's 3-run shot, I wouldn't give a flying **** if he stayed up all night slamming jaeger shots. Hell, I'd join him in a heartbeat. Call me hopelessly naive, but I would have expected that a loss like last night's would bother these guys as much as it bothered me. That's all.

So you've never had a tough day at work and had a few at a bar afterwards?

SouthSide_HitMen
06-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Seriously. The recation of some of the posters in this thread to baseball players being at a bar (egads!) is laughable. What planet do some of you live on?

Serious POTW candidate.

bafiarocks03
06-02-2006, 01:01 PM
ahemm....and where did you happen to just run into them at!?

FielderJones
06-02-2006, 01:02 PM

You're under-age.

Shift
06-02-2006, 01:02 PM
After that road trip, they need to go out and get bombed. They should have a few before tonight's game also. I have no problem with this whatsoever.

voodoochile
06-02-2006, 01:03 PM

At a bar at like 2 AM from the sound of the post.

southside rocks
06-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Ditto that. I'm re-reading "Ball Four" this summer, and the book is 35 years old, and even in 1970 this behavior was totally typical of ballplayers.

It's a long season. The players are guys in their 20's and 30's who have money, time, and are away from home, most of them. They aren't going to turn in every night at 10 p.m. and wake up at 7 a.m. and drink a protein shake and jog three miles -- and if *I* found last night's game so bad that I reached for the wine bottle, how much worse must it have been for the Sox team.

I've heard from friends of mine who've met him that BA likes to chase the honeys and that he is fond of Jaeger shots. He's young. :D:

bigsqwert
06-02-2006, 01:18 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12856484&dopt=Abstract

The effects of alcohol hangover on cognitive functions in healthy subjects.

Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, Catholic University of Korea, Buchon City, Kyunggi Do, Korea.

A hangover is characterized by the constellation of unpleasant physical and mental symptoms that occur between 8 and 16 h after drinking alcohol. We evaluated the effects of experimentally-induced alcohol hangover on cognitive functions using the Luria-Nebraska Neuropsychological Battery. A total of 13 normal adult males participated in this study. They did not have any previous histories of psychiatric or medical disorders. We defined the experimentally-induced hangover condition at 13 h after drinking a high dose of alcohol (1.5 g/kg of body weight). We evaluated the changes of cognitive functions before drinking alcohol and during experimentally-induced hangover state. The Luria-Nebraska Neuropsychological Battery was administrated in order to examine the changes of cognitive functions. Cognitive functions, such as visual, memory, and intellectual process functions, were decreased during the hangover state. Among summary scales, the profile elevation scale was also increased. Among localization scales, the scores of left frontal, sensorimotor, parietal-occipital dysfunction, and right parietal-occipital scales were increased during the hangover state. These results indicate that alcohol hangovers have a negative effect on cognitive functions, particularly on the higher cortical and visual functions associated with the left hemisphere and right posterior hemisphere.

manders_01
06-02-2006, 01:23 PM

Sorry, but I could not agree less. Based off that statement, it could easily be said that anyone who has to work the next day is unprofessional if they go out and that if things are stressful and/or not going well at work, it's even worse. Plug in any career - it just doesn't make sense.

SoxFan64
06-02-2006, 01:27 PM

Could be. But folks under 25 bounce back three times faster than us ol' farts.

Also their body clock is not on the same schedule as someone who starts work at 8:00 AM. Their work day generally begins about three hours before the first pitch so that means 4:00 PM is the start of their work day.

Translation: if you had drinks at 5:00 PM and had to be functioning at work at 8:00 AM the next day could you did it if you are were 25 years old.

Heck I know some forty year olds who drink to midnight and still get to work at 8:00 and function.

So how about cutting them some slack?

ilsox7
06-02-2006, 01:29 PM
How about we don't turn WSI into Us Weekly. Baseball players are normal people. If you see them out at a bar, shake their hand, buy them a beer, and head back to your table. I'm sure many of us here could talk about where some of the guys hang out on a regular basis, but that's poor form, IMO.

bigsqwert
06-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Could be. But folks under 25 bounce back three times faster than us ol' farts.

Also their body clock is not on the same schedule as someone who starts work at 8:00 AM. Their work day generally begins about three hours before the first pitch so that means 4:00 PM is the start of their work day.

Translation: if you had drinks at 5:00 PM and had to be functioning at work at 8:00 AM the next day could you did it if you are were 25 years old.

Heck I know some forty year olds who drink to midnight and still get to work at 8:00 and function.

So how about cutting them some slack?

I hear where you're coming from. I'm just playing the devil's advocate. And if I were batting .164 in the major leagues I would do anything possible to get my ass in gear...including cutting down on the late nights. The sluggishness of a hangover may be a reason why is struggling to connect on a 94mph fastball.

SoxFan64
06-02-2006, 01:31 PM

You are going to have to explain this one to me. Are you saying that anyone who drinks is not a professional? Is it that they drank after work that makes them non professional? Is it that they should sit and home and think about the loss and how they are going to get better?

I am not trying to start a fight but I would like to know what you mean by professionalism?

SoxFan64
06-02-2006, 01:36 PM
...including cutting down on the late nights. The sluggishness of a hangover may be a reason why is struggling to connect on a 94mph fastball.

But it is NOT a late night. They start work at 4:00 PM. So drinking even to 5:00 AM (and I am not saying that they stayed out to five -- the original post was at 4:00 AM) is the same as a 8:00 to 4:00 person drinking until 6:00 PM the night before.

And the second part, what they can never go out???

Do you only go out after you have a great day at the office? Do you only go out if you met your quota? And if you don't you won't even go over to a friend's house to talk?

Come on cut the guys some slack. I sure hope your boss cuts you some slack.

bigsqwert
06-02-2006, 01:39 PM
But it is NOT a late night. They start work at 4:00 PM. So drinking even to 5:00 AM (and I am not saying that they stayed out to five -- the original post was at 4:00 AM) is the same as a 8:00 to 4:00 person drinking until 6:00 PM the night before.

Do you only go out after you have a great day at the office? Do you only go out if you met your quota? And if you don't you won't even go over to a friend's house to talk?

Come on cut the guys some slack. I sure hope your boss cuts you some slack.When you have a few drinks your body loses REM sleep. That affects your entire next day. This is especially troublesome for a job where physical activity is required.

ilsox7
06-02-2006, 01:39 PM

Come on cut the guys some slack. I sure hope your boss cuts you some slack.

While I agree with your sentiment about this topic, ballplayers do not begin their day at 4 in the afternoon. Even for night games, they are at the park LONG before 4 PM.

kittle42
06-02-2006, 01:41 PM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12856484&dopt=Abstract

Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, Catholic University of Korea, Buchon City, Kyunggi Do, Korea.

A hangover is characterized by the constellation of unpleasant physical and mental symptoms that occur between 8 and 16 h after drinking alcohol. We evaluated the effects of experimentally-induced alcohol hangover on cognitive functions using the Luria-Nebraska Neuropsychological Battery. A total of 13 normal adult males participated in this study. They did not have any previous histories of psychiatric or medical disorders. We defined the experimentally-induced hangover condition at 13 h after drinking a high dose of alcohol (1.5 g/kg of body weight). We evaluated the changes of cognitive functions before drinking alcohol and during experimentally-induced hangover state. The Luria-Nebraska Neuropsychological Battery was administrated in order to examine the changes of cognitive functions. Cognitive functions, such as visual, memory, and intellectual process functions, were decreased during the hangover state. Among summary scales, the profile elevation scale was also increased. Among localization scales, the scores of left frontal, sensorimotor, parietal-occipital dysfunction, and right parietal-occipital scales were increased during the hangover state. These results indicate that alcohol hangovers have a negative effect on cognitive functions, particularly on the higher cortical and visual functions associated with the left hemisphere and right posterior hemisphere.

Sigh.

Insane Sarcasm Time! : Maybe they should ditch the booze and take 'roids instead - I hear those improve cognitive functions.

bigsqwert
06-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Sigh.

Insane Sarcasm Time! : Maybe they should ditch the booze and take 'roids instead - I hear those improve cognitive functions.I was just providing scientific evidence that a late night of boozing is detrimental to the human body. Given that Brain Anderson rarely makes good contact with mlb pitching I thought that perhaps he isn't doing everything he can to give himself the best chance to succeed.

The Immigrant
06-02-2006, 01:48 PM
You are going to have to explain this one to me. Are you saying that anyone who drinks is not a professional? Is it that they drank after work that makes them non professional? Is it that they should sit and home and think about the loss and how they are going to get better?

I am not trying to start a fight but I would like to know what you mean by professionalism?

It's the latter - the effect last night's loss should have had on these two professionals, whose job is to win ballgames. I'm not saying they should hit the batting cage at 3 a.m., but they also should not hit popular Lincoln Park hangouts hours after half of Chicago saw them lose a tough one.

This horse has been beaten enough, so I'll shut up now.

kittle42
06-02-2006, 01:49 PM
I was just providing scientific evidence that a late night of boozing is detrimental to the human body. Given that Brain Anderson rarely makes good contact with mlb pitching I thought that perhaps he isn't doing everything he can to give himself the best chance to succeed.

Would you argue that no athlete ever be out drinking?

SoxFan64
06-02-2006, 01:50 PM
I was just providing scientific evidence that a late night of boozing is detrimental to the human body. Given that Brain Anderson rarely makes good contact with mlb pitching I thought that perhaps he isn't doing everything he can to give himself the best chance to succeed.

So all Sox players should refrain from drinking until November?

Should this be part of the CBA between owners and players?

ilsox7
06-02-2006, 01:50 PM
It's the latter - the effect last night's loss should have had on these two professionals, whose job is to win ballgames. I'm not saying they should hit the batting cage at 3 a.m., but they also should not hit popular Lincoln Park hangouts hours after half of Chicago saw them lose a tough one.

I'll ask again. You've never gone to a bar after a crappy day at work?

bigsqwert
06-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Would you argue that no athlete ever be out drinking?No. Just the ones who look like they don't belong on the roster from lack of execution.

bigsqwert
06-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I'll ask again. You've never gone to a bar after a crappy day at work?How about this question: Are you more or less productive the next day after drinking the night before?

SoxFan64
06-02-2006, 01:54 PM

So if you win you can go out and drink? But if you lose you have to stay in your room and sulk?

Is that how you perform best at work?

If they don't perform both of these players have the ultimate hammer over their head -- they both still have options left and could be sent down to Charlotte on a moments notice.

So far I have not seen anything but professionalism from these two guys (and I have never met either one of them). I say cut them some slack.

The Wimperoo
06-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Anderson never even plays so who cares if he is out drinking.

ilsox7
06-02-2006, 01:56 PM
How about this question: Are you more or less productive the next day after drinking the night before?

Ah yes, never ask a question you don't know the answer to. In my former career, we went out after working 12-14 hour days almost every day of the week. And we kicked some serious ass on the job. But that's corporate America for you.

The point is, this thread is a new low at WSI IMO, which says a lot. No one here has any right to try to tell people how to live their lives. One day, I hope some of the people on this thread have someone invade their lives and post about it on a public forum. Baseball is a sport. It's fun to watch and fun to be passionate about. But taking it to the Us Weekly level is utterly pathetic.

The Immigrant
06-02-2006, 02:00 PM
I'll ask again. You've never gone to a bar after a crappy day at work?

Of course I have, but I don't perform my job in front of television cameras and I'm not easily recognized by thousands of people. Here's an analogy for you, based on my chosen profession. If George Ryan's lawyers went out partying on Rush Street right after his verdict was announced - they clearly had a "crappy day at work" - that would not have been a very professional thing to do, right? On the other hand, they could all go and get a quiet drink somewhere to lament the loss, that would be acceptable for someone in their position (and I'm sure that's what some of them did).

So, you see, your question completely missed my point.

IlliniSox4Life
06-02-2006, 02:00 PM

:rolling:
The original post was made at 3:30AM. Lets assume he took at least a half hour from seeing these guys to make it home and post. That would put them drinking around 2-3AM. 3 AM+ 16 hours = 7PM. Looks like they timed it perfectly. You should be giving the players more credit for their math skills.

kittle42
06-02-2006, 02:04 PM
No. Just the ones who look like they don't belong on the roster from lack of execution.

That's what I thought you'd say, but doesn't this defeat the whole thing about the physical effects of drinking? Those should apply across the board. I mean, for example, let's say Albert Pujols drinks the night before a game. No matter how well he performs the next day, could not the argument still be made that he should refrain from drinking the night before because of the physical effects? After all, how do we know he would not have performed better had he not been drinking.

voodoochile
06-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Of course I have, but I don't perform my job in front of television cameras and I'm not easily recognized by thousands of people. Here's an analogy for you, based on my chosen profession. If George Ryan's lawyers went out partying on Rush Street right after his verdict was announced - they clearly had a "crappy day at work" - that would not have been a very professional thing to do, right? On the other hand, they could all go and get a quiet drink somewhere to lament the loss, that would be acceptable for someone in their position (and I'm sure that's what some of them did).

Okay, so it's not the drinking you have a problem with, it's the appearances we present.

It is better to look good than feel good as it were.

I'm sorry, that doesn't make any sense at all...:?:

kittle42
06-02-2006, 02:05 PM
The point is, this thread is a new low at WSI IMO, which says a lot. No one here has any right to try to tell people how to live their lives. One day, I hope some of the people on this thread have someone invade their lives and post about it on a public forum. Baseball is a sport. It's fun to watch and fun to be passionate about. But taking it to the Us Weekly level is utterly pathetic.

But what would we ever do without faux morality?

bigsqwert
06-02-2006, 02:06 PM
That's what I thought you'd say, but doesn't this defeat the whole thing about the physical effects of drinking? Those should apply across the board. I mean, for example, let's say Albert Pujols drinks the night before a game. No matter how well he performs the next day, could not the argument still be made that he should refrain from drinking the night before because of the physical effects? After all, how do we know he would not have performed better had he not been drinking.You are absolutely correct. If I were the owner or GM I wouldn't want any of my valuable assets going out getting hammered when there was a game the next day. Our payroll is what? $107 million? As an investor I would want to maximize the most out of that +$100M investment.

Frater Perdurabo
06-02-2006, 02:08 PM
What planet do some of you live on?

Did kittle42 just end a sentence with a preposition? :tongue:

ilsox7
06-02-2006, 02:10 PM

So you think that people who may be recognized in public by a segment of the population should change the way they live their lives. I happen to disagree with that viewpoint.

Also, your analogy is quite flawed. A trial is the culmination of many months (or years) of work. A losing verdict in a trial is on par with losing the World Series for a baseball player. A bad game for a baseball player is more like a defense team losing their 615 Motion to Dismiss: it's part of the process and likely to happen, just as losing a baseball game is part of a long season and will inevitably happen throughout the season on several occasions.

voodoochile
06-02-2006, 02:10 PM
You are absolutely correct. If I were the owner or GM I wouldn't want any of my valuable assets going out getting hammered when there was a game the next day. Our payroll is what? $107 million? As an investor I would want to maximize the most out of that +$100M investment.

And for the most part that investment on this season is already maximized. Very few seats on a percentage basis remain. TV and Radio deals are long since signed and salted away (probably past next year too). The Sox are looking like playoff contenders at the least so barring a major falling out over the next few months next year will have a good percentage of ST holders reupping.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with ROI, period. Besides, both of these players are indentured serfs. Both make the league minimum for their number of years of service. Strictly based on money spent vs results, both of them are WAY down the list of issues to the investors because together they are well less than 1% of the team payroll.

More crap arguments.:?:

The Immigrant
06-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Okay, so it's not the drinking you have a problem with, it's the appearances we present.

It is better to look good than feel good as it were.

I'm sorry, that doesn't make any sense at all...:?:

Thanks for intentionally misinterpreting my posts.

Do you actually believe that appearances don't matter for athletes and other public figures?

miker
06-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Reading this thread reminded me that watching White Sox baseball has been the cause of my drinking many times over the years! :gulp:

voodoochile
06-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks for intentionally misinterpreting my posts.

Do you actually believe that appearances don't matter for athletes and other public figures?
I don't think they should matter at all. I understand that it matters for politicians. That's the nature of the beast, but anyone who decides to pattern their lives off of pro athletes is setting themself or their children up for a huge letdown. Charles Barkley said it best, "I am not a role model."

Which part of your post did I intentionally misinterpret? You said it was okay to have a few drinks, but not in a public venue. That reads to me that it isn't the action you disagree with (the drinking) but the place you do it and how it might be perceived (the appearance of drinking).

It's a crappy way to evaluate actions, IMO. Too much we judge others because of what our own sense of morality or our own sense of right and wrong. It's their lives. Let them live it.

ilsox7
06-02-2006, 02:17 PM
It's their lives. Let them live it.

At least I'm not alone on this one.

MsSoxVixen22
06-02-2006, 02:20 PM

That's what I was trying to say....I agree with you! :D:

drewcifer
06-02-2006, 02:27 PM
At least I'm not alone on this one.
Far from it.

These guys (though really just in the infant stages of it) are still at the most elite level of their profession. If they feel they can handle a few drinks (whether in their hotel room or out in public), than so be it.

None of us here has any justication to say **** about it. Unless you are Ozzie, JR, KW, or anyone else who is in their charge, you should just can it and keep your unqualified opinions to yourself.

Hell - David Wells threw a perfect game against the Twinkies years back when he was hung over as hell. In fact, he stunk so bad nobody in the dugout would sit near him.

Maybe the whole friggin' bullpen should have been there, now that I think about it....

The Immigrant
06-02-2006, 02:30 PM
So you think that people who may be recognized in public by a segment of the population should change the way they live their lives. I happen to disagree with that viewpoint.

Also, your analogy is quite flawed. A trial is the culmination of many months (or years) of work. A losing verdict in a trial is on par with losing the World Series for a baseball player. A bad game for a baseball player is more like a defense team losing their 615 Motion to Dismiss: it's part of the process and likely to happen, just as losing a baseball game is part of a long season and will inevitably happen throughout the season on several occasions.

So it would be acceptable for two young lawyers to go "partying with honeys" until closing time at Duffy's after losing a motion to dismiss, even though they have to work the next day? Now imagine that these two lawyers are well known and that their antics would be noted, and might get back to the assigning attorney? You really think this would reflect well on their professionalism and would bode well for their career path? If not, why should we hold young ballplayers to a lower standard than other young professionals (many of whom make more money than Brian Anderson)?

Have some pride in your work and respect for the position you've been put in (and the people who put you there), or go back to AAA.

Do you really think that Ozzie and KW would not be at least a little bit bothered by this story, given last night's loss? Come on...

IlliniSox4Life
06-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Far from it.

These guys (though really just in the infant stages of it) are still at the most elite level of their profession. If they feel they can handle a few drinks (whether in their hotel room or out in public), than so be it.

None of us here has any justication to say **** about it. Unless you are Ozzie, JR, KW, or anyone else who is in their charge, you should just can it and keep your unqualified opinions to yourself.

Hell - David Wells threw a perfect game against the Twinkies years back when he was hung over as hell. In fact, he stunk so bad nobody in the dugout would sit near him.

I definately agree. Even IF they were drinking heavily (there's nothing to suggest they were, they could have had a few drinks and that's it), there were 16 hours between them being out at the bar and gametime.

Also, I know it's been mentioned here before, but wasn't there a pitcher who threw a no hitter or perfect game while on acid or something like that? Babe Ruth was a notorious drinker.

Also, do any of you saying they shouldn't have been out think that maybe a relaxing night would have a good psychological effect on them? I don't think Anderson's problem is his athleticism, he's a great athlete. Sometimes staying inside and killing yourself over the mistakes you made does more harm than good.

voodoochile
06-02-2006, 02:39 PM
So it would be acceptable for two young lawyers to go "partying with honeys" until closing time at Duffy's after losing a motion to dismiss, even though they have to work the next day? Now imagine that these two lawyers are well known and that their antics would be noted, and might get back to the assigning attorney? You really think this would reflect well on their professionalism and would bode well for their career path? If not, why should we hold young ballplayers to a lower standard than other young professionals (many of whom make more money than Brian Anderson)?

Have some pride in your work and respect for the position you've been put in (and the people who put you there), or go back to AAA.

Do you really think that Ozzie and KW would not be at least a little bit bothered by this story, given last night's loss? Come on...

You are also equating hitting a baseball to defending a former Governor. The two obviously have much different weights in our society.

In addition, you are completely blowing off the differences in hours.

Attourneys get off work by 6 PM and have to be at work by 9 AM. That leaves 9 hours for drinking and 5 hours for sleep in your example.

Baseball players start work at 4 PM and don't have to be truly on until 7 PM. They finish work around 11 PM (in this example the two probably got to the bar around 12:30). That leaves 4 hours for drinking and 12 hours for sleep. (in this example we are actually talking about 2.5 hours of drinking time - that's like the lawyer in your example being home by 8:30 PM).

Again, none of this actually holds up when you stop throwing generalizations at it. Stop seeing things in black and white and start looking at the specific example that happened here.

3 hours of drinking time followed by at least 12 hours before they even had to be at the park (maybe longer, I don't know what time they have to be there). Given that Anderson probably won't play tonight and McCarthy might pitch for an inning (maybe) this whole thing is just ridiculous...

Jerko
06-02-2006, 02:40 PM
I think if McCarthy threw 3 scoreless inning last night and BA was batting .300, nobody would give a rat's ass when they go out. But because both are struggling, I think that's why some are making a big deal. I'm sure AJ goes out too, he's batting what, .320? Can't let him do it and then tell the others no.

ilsox7
06-02-2006, 02:41 PM

In the Corporate America I've worked in and the big firm lawyers I know, the boss would be out next to those two young lawyers, buying them rounds of drinks. As long as they were at work early the next morning, it'd be fine.

As for Ozzie, um, remember opening day a year or two back? When the Sox blew a big lead to the Royals in the bottom of the 9th? Yea, Ozzie told his team to go get drunk.

Unless a person's actions outside of the workplace actually impact their work performance, I do not give a damn what they do. So, if I'm the assigning attorney in your hypo. and I felt the motion was well-researched and argued to the best of the attorneys' ability, I couldn't care less what they did, as long as they were at work when they needed to be to get their job done.

What you seem to be advocating is that an employer should be able to control an employee's life 100% of the time. I know you'll say that is not what you mean, or that I am grossly misinterpreting your statements, but when you look at what you've said, it certainly comes across that way. On the other hand, I am of the opinion that, when someone has a tough day at work, they need to learn from it and then put it behind them. How they do that, I don't care.

kittle42
06-02-2006, 02:46 PM
So it would be acceptable for two young lawyers to go "partying with honeys" until closing time at Duffy's after losing a motion to dismiss, even though they have to work the next day? Now imagine that these two lawyers are well known and that their antics would be noted, and might get back to the assigning attorney? You really think this would reflect well on their professionalism and would bode well for their career path? If not, why should we hold young ballplayers to a lower standard than other young professionals (many of whom make more money than Brian Anderson)

I am an attorney at a big firm. It is understood that people go drinking on work nights at times. Some do it more frequently than others. As long as you're not calling in sick or skipping something you were assigned to do, no one cares. Partners are sometimes the worst offenders.

Also, motions are won and lost all the time. Just like baseball games. In fact, I'm writing one right now. If I had planned on going out, I would whether the motion eventually won or lost.

And Brian Anderson makes $330K. You have to be a partner to make that kind of dough here.

Bottom line: none of these arguments that ball players should not go out and have a few brews is convincing. If teams were really concerned, they would include clauses in their players' contracts regarding this behavior (just like they do with riding motorctycles, engaging in pro wrestling matches, etc.) The owners obviously do not consider it a priority to curtail their "investments'" drinking habits. Neither should any of you.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-02-2006, 02:47 PM
When you have a few drinks your body loses REM sleep. That affects your entire next day. This is especially troublesome for a job where physical activity is required.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/hofer_bios/images/ruth_babe_4.jpg

Drillrod!

miker
06-02-2006, 02:47 PM
I am an attorney at a big firm. It is understood that people go drinking on work nights at times. Some do it more frequently than others. As long as you're not calling in sick or skipping something you were assigned to do, no one cares. Partners are sometimes the worst offenders.
Wait a minute...lawyers drink? :o:

dickallen15
06-02-2006, 02:50 PM
If they are just at a bar having a couple of cocktails and chasing "the honeys", it really is no big deal to me. If they are getting hammered and staying out until all hours, and doing it often it might explain their poor performance. There's no evidence of that. These guys have strange hours. They are used to going to bed at 3 AM. Didn't Ozzie once say after a tough loss, either his first or second game as manager of the White Sox, that the team should go out and get drunk? I do agree that appearances matter, but let's face it, we would have no idea what these two did last night if a poster didn't happen to be closing down Duffy's on Thursday night. BTW, what's his deal closing down Duffy's?

dickallen15
06-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Wait a minute...lawyers drink? :o:

Denny Crain.

The Immigrant
06-02-2006, 02:53 PM
So, if I'm the assigning attorney in your hypo. and I felt the motion was well-researched and argued to the best of the attorneys' ability, I couldn't care less what they did, as long as they were at work when they needed to be to get their job done.

I think we're getting closer to the middle ground here, I really do.

However, do you really think that McCarthy pitched to the best of his ability last night, or that BA has been playing the best he can - or that either has been "getting the job done"? I don't, and that makes the above example irrelevant. Like I said in an earlier post, if McCarthy had saved last night's game we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Meixner007
06-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Denny Crain.

Say it again.

white sox bill
06-02-2006, 02:57 PM
I definately agree. Even IF they were drinking heavily (there's nothing to suggest they were, they could have had a few drinks and that's it), there were 16 hours between them being out at the bar and gametime.

Also, I know it's been mentioned here before, but wasn't there a pitcher who threw a no hitter or perfect game while on acid or something like that? Babe Ruth was a notorious drinker.

Also, do any of you saying they shouldn't have been out think that maybe a relaxing night would have a good psychological effect on them? I don't think Anderson's problem is his athleticism, he's a great athlete. Sometimes staying inside and killing yourself over the mistakes you made does more harm than good.

IIRC Doc Ellis claimed to have thrown a no no while tripping in the early 70's.

The Immigrant
06-02-2006, 03:02 PM

Also, motions are won and lost all the time. Just like baseball games. In fact, I'm writing one right now. If I had planned on going out, I would whether the motion eventually won or lost.

And Brian Anderson makes $330K. You have to be a partner to make that kind of dough here.

Bottom line: none of these arguments that ball players should not go out and have a few brews is convincing. If teams were really concerned, they would include clauses in their players' contracts regarding this behavior (just like they do with riding motorctycles, engaging in pro wrestling matches, etc.) The owners obviously do not consider it a priority to curtail their "investments'" drinking habits. Neither should any of you.

Okay, but what if your firm lost the motion because you ****ed up, but you nevertheless went out and celebrated (and word of your celebration trickled back)? In other words, what if your job performance had absolutely no impact on how you conduct yourself outside the firm. Win or lose, kittle42 parties. At my firm, people would not take you very seriously.

Oh, and I know associates who make Brian Anderson money with bonuses.

drewcifer
06-02-2006, 03:03 PM
IIRC Doc Ellis claimed to have thrown a no no while tripping in the early 70's.

Ok, but did he decide to trip as the result of a previous win or a loss? Because if it was a loss, than that was problem and was very unprofessional but if it was a win, than we [shouldn't] "be having this discussion". :rolleyes:

unclegary
06-02-2006, 03:06 PM
This is a really stupid thread. What the hell is this, People Magazine?!:gulp:

Jerko
06-02-2006, 03:10 PM
http://wgngold.com/photos/caray-harry-250w.jpg

"Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Lemme hear ya. Those fella are handsome young lad. Let em party. B.mac spelled backwards is droabkcalbanoslianregnif. Raaaaaaaaay. Lets get some run. Drinking never bothered me".

kittle42
06-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Okay, but what if your firm lost the motion because you ****ed up, but you nevertheless went out and celebrated (and word of your celebration trickled back)? In other words, what if your job performance had absolutely no impact on how you conduct yourself outside the firm. Win or lose, kittle42 parties. At my firm, people would not take you very seriously.

Oh, and I know associates who make Brian Anderson money with bonuses.

You must work at Kirkland.:cool:

One's job performance should have no impact on how one conducts oneself outside of work. I like to have a clear separation between work and personal life as much as is possible. I believe the issue is instead if one's personal life affects one's work.

This whole argument about image is bull****. If you **** up a brief, assignment, meeting, etc., that's what reflects positively or negatively on you. "Losing a motion to dismiss, going out to get drinks after, and word trickling back to partners who would then think badly of you as a professional?" This is not the reality.

steveironcity
06-02-2006, 03:44 PM

Baseball players in a bar? I thought they just bathed in champaigne and lit cigars with 100 dollar bills!!!

steveironcity
06-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Ok, but did he decide to trip as the result of a previous win or a loss? Because if it was a loss, than that was problem and was very unprofessional but if it was a win, than we [shouldn't] "be having this discussion". :rolleyes:

He has said that he tripped because he wasnt pitching until the following day. But he was so screwed up that those 24 hours came quick and he was still in the clouds during the game.

white sox bill
06-02-2006, 03:57 PM

I think he was a Pirate. Imagine him pitching a no no for the Sox and in the 7th inning Dick Allen launches one, the pinwheels go off, the loud fireworks, Doc is looking at them "Cool Man like wow the flashing lights freaks me":D:

SoxFanPrope
06-02-2006, 03:59 PM
This thread is hilarious. Please, lets try to stop acting like Anderson and McCarthy's parents. They are grown men, capable of making their own decisions, and being responsible for the decisions they make. Lighten up.

Chicken Dinner
06-02-2006, 04:00 PM
I wonder how many they pounded down on the plane ride back to MDW? :o:

ilsox7
06-02-2006, 04:09 PM
You must work at Kirkland.:cool:

One's job performance should have no impact on how one conducts oneself outside of work. I like to have a clear separation between work and personal life as much as is possible. I believe the issue is instead if one's personal life affects one's work.

This whole argument about image is bull****. If you **** up a brief, assignment, meeting, etc., that's what reflects positively or negatively on you. "Losing a motion to dismiss, going out to get drinks after, and word trickling back to partners who would then think badly of you as a professional?" This is not the reality.

Thanks for saving me the time to type this. This is exactly the point I am getting at.

And now that I think about it, maybe some of the attorney's who filed these briefs I am reading drank heavily before putting them together. Man are these awful.

getonbckthr
06-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Sounds like Brian Anderson and McCarthy need to concentrate more on baseball. If not they may find themselves on a bus back to AAA
Ya and I should worry more about my construction job and not drink the night before.
As long they show up to the game sober and coherant then its not a problem. If they are out til 5 am before a 1pm start then thats a problem.

Frater Perdurabo
06-02-2006, 04:36 PM
I just hope Anderson's not dropping acid. How would he know which batted ball he sees is the one he has to catch?
:redneck

IlliniSox4Life
06-02-2006, 04:44 PM
This thread gave me a new idea for a tag. I don't really know what the procedure for making/adding them is, so if anyone likes it enough, feel freeto upload it but here it is:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/kshanks2/bloodymary.jpg

oeo
06-02-2006, 04:46 PM
I think we're getting closer to the middle ground here, I really do.

However, do you really think that McCarthy pitched to the best of his ability last night, or that BA has been playing the best he can - or that either has been "getting the job done"? I don't, and that makes the above example irrelevant. Like I said in an earlier post, if McCarthy had saved last night's game we wouldn't be having this discussion.

McCarthy was one of only two guys (him and Jenks) that were reliable at the beginning of the year. He had a couple of bad outings, it's not the end, he'll be fine. I still think he needs more work than he's getting, but that's just me.

And it's not like they're not trying. Is Brian playing to his potential? No, but he's having a tough time. I'm pretty sure he doesn't just purposely go out there and hit weak groundballs and swing at bad pitches. Two young guys that are still learning, they will both be fine.

Sargeant79
06-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Ummm...IIRC (it was a while ago since this is a long thread), the original poster's buddy was drunk, not Anderson and/or McCarthy. Now maybe they were or maybe they weren't, but there was nothing in the original post suggesting it.

As for the argument at hand, it wasn't too long ago that I was BA and McCarthy's age. When I was, I could go out and have a several drinks, get buzzed, and still wake up feeling like a million bucks the next morning as long as I didn't overdo it.

Every person's body reacts differently to alcohol...some people have to drink significantly more than others to have it adversely affect them. Some people are like I described above, and others like my girlfriend can have two drinks and are useless for a day and a half.

As it pertains to BA and McCarthy, this is really a non-issue. If there was a problem, I don't doubt for a second that Ozzie would be dealing with it.

Layla
06-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Gee, these guys are young, have money, and living in the big city. Give them a break.

Besides, I'm sure the library was closed.

spiffie
06-02-2006, 05:47 PM
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/kshanks2/bloodymary.jpg
:cheers: :worship: :drunken: :moonwalk: :dancers: :thumbsup: :supernana: :gulp: :D:

You win the internet.

mbwhitesox
06-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Wow this thread got a lot of replies. For the sake of clarity, I don't think BA and McCarthy were at Duffy's the whole night, but instead had just arrived as the bar was closing and all the "regular" folks were being shuffled out the door.

I was pretty drunk at the time so I could be wrong, but it didn't seem like either of them were drunk when I met them, but who knows how many more shots they did after my buddies and I were "asked" to leave.

Either way, I don't see what the big deal is. They were both very cool to me and my friends and I don't see the problem with them blowing off a little steam after a tough road trip. They're both young guys, they should go out and have fun, just like every other young person does. :gulp:

santo=dorf
06-02-2006, 06:15 PM
You are absolutely correct. If I were the owner or GM I wouldn't want any of my valuable assets going out getting hammered when there was a game the next day. Our payroll is what? $107 million? As an investor I would want to maximize the most out of that +$100M investment.
Who says they were "hammered?" :?:

I'm gald you're not the owner of the Sox because Ozzie Guillen would have been fired after his first game where the bullpen blew up against KC. Didn't Guillen tell his players to get drunk?

:rolleyes:
:fireozzie

santo=dorf
06-02-2006, 06:21 PM
http://www.worldwide-web.com/JeffreyBabad/Simpsons/Quimby/quimby.gif
"Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine.”

Mercy!
06-02-2006, 08:58 PM
I can't decide whether it's stalkerish or just reeks of girls going all ga-ga when they see the latest teenage heart throb in public - but rushing home from seeing a couple of ballplayers in a bar to tell everyone about their drinking and girl watching behavior and what bar they frequent is pretty creepy.

TaquitoElGoocho
06-02-2006, 10:10 PM
So it would be acceptable for two young lawyers to go "partying with honeys" until closing time at Duffy's after losing a motion to dismiss, even though they have to work the next day? You really think this would reflect well on their professionalism...?

I am an attorney at a big firm. Also, motions are won and lost all the time....In fact, I'm writing one right now.

In the meantime, both The Immigrant and kittle42 engage in unprofessional conduct by billing their clients for their time posting on WSI…:redneck

Chisox003
06-02-2006, 11:28 PM
This thread is hilarious. Please, lets try to stop acting like Anderson and McCarthy's parents. They are grown men, capable of making their own decisions, and being responsible for the decisions they make. Lighten up.
This is exactly why I shouldn't have opened this thread. I knew exactly where it was going, saw how many replies it had, and still had to go for it.

Regrettable now, because it's frustrating to see people acting like this. Get a grip. Two 22 year old guys going to a bar, is that your ****ing business? Sure isn't.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mr. White Sox
06-03-2006, 12:40 AM
Well this thread was a waste of 10 minutes. G'night! :gulp:

Chisox003
06-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Well this thread was a waste of 10 minutes. G'night! :gulp: :o:

Watch out with that :gulp: or you're going to get scolded!

....or worse, grounded!

DeadMoney
06-03-2006, 01:24 AM
This thread is ridiculous, but I'll add my two cents anyway.

First, Major League Baseball players are together and working for 7 months straight with NO BREAK and one VERY SMALL vacation (more like 3 days off in July for those who aren't in the ASG). People in 'normal' jobs take vacations, have weekends off, get sick, take days off, etc. If these guys want to go out after a 7 day road trip, then so be it.

They are all working a grueling job that has its share of both mental and physical pains and strains DAILY. They both, after having a tough week on the job, decided to take a break (and a VERY small one) when they got back from a tough trip - who freaking cares?

Finally, it's ridiculous to criticize something that some people obviously take for granted when this team plays. Go and swing a bat or throw a ball for two days straight and see how you feel. These guys do it for more then 200 days straight and are expected to both work out and work hard while at the ballpark EVERY one of those days. They deserve ANY and ALL time away from the field - and IMO - can do WHATEVER they want with it.

PalehosePlanet
06-04-2006, 10:43 PM

Sluggers is owned by a Sox fan (business is business.) He told me that Minnie Minoso hangs out w/him and the staff in the kitchen on a fairly regular basis.

miker
06-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Sluggers is owned by a Sox fan (business is business.) He told me that Minnie Minoso hangs out w/him and the staff in the kitchen on a fairly regular basis.
Well any place that Minnie hangs out at can't be all bad...

jenn2080
06-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Who cares that they were out drinking. They are human. I can see if they were getting into fights or something that is one thing but get over it. If I have a crappy day at work I d like to go out and have a drink. Just because they dont sit at a desk all day does not mean that they are not working . Dont be fooled....Rowand use to go to till ties till 4 all the time which is an after hours bar in Lakeview.

MikeLove
06-05-2006, 07:39 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/pro2/legendofwadebog/

miker
06-09-2006, 02:08 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/pro2/legendofwadebog/
Interesting...I thought Mr. Boggs predilections were limited to eating chicken and cheating on his wife.