PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield may be out the season

SouthSide_HitMen
06-02-2006, 01:57 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060601&content_id=1483456&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Sheffield's wrist sends him back to DL
Doctors will try therapy first, but surgery is a possibility

DETROIT -- Gary Sheffield will miss at least the next couple of weeks with a torn ligament and dislocating tendon in his left wrist, as the Yankees will try a conservative approach, splinting the wrist as he undergoes therapy.

That's the good news.
The bad news? If the wrist doesn't respond to that approach, Sheffield will likely need surgery to repair the problem, costing him a couple of months -- if not the remainder of the season.

Banix12
06-02-2006, 02:26 AM
Their minor league system is still pretty barren as I recall. Trades might be more difficult this time.

SoxFan76
06-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Think they'd take any of the sox outfield prospects (and another throw in) for a vet? Myers, Villone, Farnsworth?

I usually hate trade speculations, but it makes sense. Yanks need an outfielder, Sox have a lot of them, even though they're young.

Trav
06-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Their minor league system is still pretty barren as I recall. Trades might be more difficult this time.

Andy Phillips is finally coming around with no where to go. But I am partial to him because he went to the U of Alabama and I watched him play for a few years.

Maybe Gary Shefield is milingering so he can get traded. You can't tell with him because of his track record.

IlliniSox4Life
06-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Matzui out and now Sheffield? Ouch.

FedEx227
06-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Think they'd take any of the sox outfield prospects (and another throw in) for a vet? Myers, Villone, Farnsworth?

I usually hate trade speculations, but it makes sense. Yanks need an outfielder, Sox have a lot of them, even though they're young.

Please, PLEASE no Farnsworth. I would definetly take Myers and maybe another pitcher for a prospect though.

StockdaleForVeep
06-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Well, karma of bein a ****ty teammate has finally came back to take him out of the game.

mccoydp
06-02-2006, 03:37 PM

Mariano Rivera for Brian Anderson. :D:

Baby Fisk
06-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Mariano Rivera for Brian Anderson. :D:
Rivera injured his back yesterday, apparently while bending over to tie his shoe. That's why Farnsworth was there blowing the game in the 9th last night. The Yankees are slowly crumbling. Steinbrenner's dream of another world championship with the current team is slipping away. Good times for Yankee haters.

ewokpelts
06-02-2006, 04:04 PM

I usually hate trade speculations, but it makes sense. Yanks need an outfielder, Sox have a lot of them, even though they're young.YOU WANT VILLONE?

are you on crack?

SoxFan76
06-02-2006, 04:08 PM
YOU WANT VILLONE?

are you on crack?

I've heard McCarthy's on the block...I just can't bring myself to trust Nelson yet...beggers can't be choosers.

And no, I'm not.

edit, let me clarify. I don't think McCarthy's going to be traded, but it is possible if Anderson doesn't step up. I know Anderson will be a great player down the road, but this team isn't in a rebuilding phase. They're designed to win now.

Lip Man 1
06-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Didn't Sheffield have a wrist problem last year or two years ago? I think one season he played through the pain. Perhaps this is a continuation of that injury.

Looks like the Yankee payroll is about to go up again after they acquire some outfielder or two (or three?)

Lip

Fenway
06-02-2006, 04:53 PM
If Boston doesn't win the division this year, they never will

Trav
06-02-2006, 06:14 PM
If Boston doesn't win the division this year, they never will

This would be a good time for the Jays to step up.

RKMeibalane
06-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Didn't Sheffield have a wrist problem last year or two years ago? I think one season he played through the pain. Perhaps this is a continuation of that injury.

Looks like the Yankee payroll is about to go up again after they acquire some outfielder or two (or three?)

Lip

He played most of '04 with a bad shoulder.

Paulwny
06-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Rivera injured his back yesterday, apparently while bending over to tie his shoe. That's why Farnsworth was there blowing the game in the 9th last night. The Yankees are slowly crumbling. Steinbrenner's dream of another world championship with the current team is slipping away. Good times for Yankee haters.

It appears that Torre has lost faith in his pen, with Rivera hurting he used Wang as his closer today against the O's. Torre no longer looks like a genius when he has some ave/below ave players.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
She acting single, I'm drinking doubles.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------