PDA

View Full Version : Singleton/Drays scouts

getonbckthr
06-02-2006, 02:54 AM
Singleton said today during the game that the DRay scouts told him they were salivating at the idea of Mccarthy in their rotation. Now I really don't know how scouts work if they scout everyone or just teams that they have been or they expect discussions to occure with. Could this be a possible indication of a potential trade or just Singleton talking words with no meaning again?

MERPER
06-02-2006, 03:03 AM
I just saw on ESPN that Carl Crawford's name has surfaced again in trade rumors... I am personally a huge Crawford fan so I'd love this trade.... he can play CF....

MrX
06-02-2006, 03:09 AM
Including Tampa there are 29 other teams in baseball that love the idea of having him in their rotation right now.

It's just Singleton preventing dead air on the broadcast.

IlliniSox4Life
06-02-2006, 03:41 AM
I'd say we need more bullpen help, not less.

SoxFan76
06-02-2006, 09:20 AM
The only way that would go down is if Hermanson was coming back. THEN that would be a pretty sweet deal (assuming he can be half as good as '05)

EastCoastSoxFan
06-02-2006, 10:34 AM
There are plenty of ideas that make me salivate, too; but that doesn't mean there's a snowball's chance in hell of any of them ever actually happening...

kevingrt
06-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Giving up McCarthy for Crawford I am not a huge fan of. Gaining Crawford w/o giving up McCarthy I am a fan of. I think McCarthy has way too much potential however Crawford would be a huge addition in this lineup and in CF. We will see what KW can think of.

Sox-o-matic
06-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Giving up McCarthy for Crawford I am not a huge fan of. Gaining Crawford w/o giving up McCarthy I am a fan of. I think McCarthy has way too much potential however Crawford would be a huge addition in this lineup and in CF. We will see what KW can think of.

Why? He's mediocre at best in the bullpen. For him to excel he needs to be in the starting rotation. Garland, Javy, and Jose are locked up. KW and the Sox would be stupid not to extend Mark and Freddy. So, why keep him in the bullpen? Ship him out for a star.

I know the common response will probably be to keep Brandon since he'll be cheap and send off one of our starters in the offseason, but there are two big problems with that:
1. We need help NOW, not in 2007.
2. Even if Garland or Javy are dealt, your options are very limited considering that there will be quite a few marqee free agents in 2007 AND only teams with high payrolls will be able to pick up such a contract AND those teams will probably not be willing to part with young star players.

Frater Perdurabo
06-03-2006, 12:03 PM
File this in deeppink pipedream territory, but I'd love to see Carl Crawford on the Sox. Crawford would be so good that he would make Pods expendable as the leadoff hitter. This year, Crawford has played better on the road (.328 AVG, .842 OPS in 2006), than in Tampa Bay (.262 AVG, .706 OPS in 2006). McCarthy for Crawford? I'd do it, but the Sox definitely would have to make another deal to bolster the bullpen because there would be two holes to fill.

TaylorStSox
06-03-2006, 12:07 PM
File this in deeppink pipedream territory, but I'd love to see Carl Crawford on the Sox. Crawford would be so good that he would make Pods expendable as the leadoff hitter. This year, Crawford has played better on the road (.328 AVG, .842 OPS in 2006), than in Tampa Bay (.262 AVG, .706 OPS in 2006). McCarthy for Crawford? I'd do it, but the Sox definitely would have to make another deal to bolster the bullpen because there would be two holes to fill.

You're probably underestimating BMac's trade value. We could probably get Crawford and a solid reliever for BMac and another pitching prospect.

I'm a huge fan of Brandon's, but pitching out of the pen is detrimental to his development. He needs to be starting somewhere.

kevingrt
06-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Why? He's mediocre at best in the bullpen. For him to excel he needs to be in the starting rotation. Garland, Javy, and Jose are locked up. KW and the Sox would be stupid not to extend Mark and Freddy. So, why keep him in the bullpen? Ship him out for a star.

I know the common response will probably be to keep Brandon since he'll be cheap and send off one of our starters in the offseason, but there are two big problems with that:
1. We need help NOW, not in 2007.
2. Even if Garland or Javy are dealt, your options are very limited considering that there will be quite a few marqee free agents in 2007 AND only teams with high payrolls will be able to pick up such a contract AND those teams will probably not be willing to part with young star players.

Your point is well taken, I mean Garland did not neccisarily lose that game last night. We should be able to score more runs versus a pitching staff like the Rangers.

I know Crawford is a good player anyone that hits .300 and drives in 80+ RBI's for the Rays has to have some talent, but I feel there is too much to let go in McCarthy especially after seeing some of his nasty stuff last year.

I guess it's reallly just all a matter of personal opinion on how well you think McCarthy is going to become as a starter. And don't you think we should get somebody good out of the bullpen as well. They have a dude named Shawn Camp who has a low ERA, but no one is real enticing me in their bullpen. And I feel we need much more help in our bullpen then we do in CF.

Can everyone agree with me on that statement?

TaylorStSox
06-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Your point is well taken, I mean Garland did not neccisarily lose that game last night. We should be able to score more runs versus a pitching staff like the Rangers.

I know Crawford is a good player anyone that hits .300 and drives in 80+ RBI's for the Rays has to have some talent, but I feel there is too much to let go in McCarthy especially after seeing some of his nasty stuff last year.

I guess it's reallly just all a matter of personal opinion on how well you think McCarthy is going to become as a starter. And don't you think we should get somebody good out of the bullpen as well. They have a dude named Shawn Camp who has a low ERA, but no one is real enticing me in their bullpen. And I feel we need much more help in our bullpen then we do in CF.

It's not how we think he projects. It's that pitching in the pen is bad for both Brandon and the Sox.

TomParrish79
06-03-2006, 12:16 PM
I dont wanna lose Brandon but my heart wouldnt be broken if we got Crawford and a good relief pitcher for him....someone to preferably take the place of Jeff Nelson

Ol' No. 2
06-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Brandon McCarthy isn't going anywhere...but into the 2007 Sox rotation.

TomParrish79
06-03-2006, 12:33 PM

that works too

Sox-o-matic
06-03-2006, 12:45 PM

Crawford is a great player and if I could get him for McCarthy I'd do it, even though I think McCarthy has a chance to be very good also.

The thing about a trade for Crawford is that he can play center now, take over for Pods later, and still allow us to keep developing Anderson. Certainly, more moves would have to be made after this, but I think KW could pick up a couple of nice RHP's for the middle of the bullpen by trading some of what we have in AA and Charlotte.

The other thing this trade would do is give us more speed at the top of the lineup and allow Tadahito to move lower in the lineup where Ozzie can do what he wanted to before in taking advantage of his power and speed.

gr8mexico
06-03-2006, 01:10 PM
I would say trade Brandon for Carl then turn around and trade Brian Anderson for Bullpen help and prospects.

getonbckthr
06-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Personally I would like to see Mccarthy for Crawford. I understand Mccarthy will most likely end up being a good major league pitcher however I wanna win a championship again this year. Also Anderson could be developed similar to Rowand was as a late inning defensive replacement for Pods. As far as a replacement for Mccarthy in the pen we have to see where Hermy is in his rehab. If he isn't an option then 3 guys who got yanked from their closers role but haven't been bad in other relief appearances are Foulke in Boston, Cordero in Texas and Valverde in Arizona. Also if there is a veteran starter possibly available I wouldn't mind pushing Garland, who has struggled this season, to the pen.

DickAllen72
06-03-2006, 11:09 PM
I like Carl Crawford a lot and would love to see him in a White Sox uniform. But why is everyone so certain he would be an above average centerfielder. He primarily plays left field with the D-Rays. Has anyone here had a good look at him in centerfield? I haven't.

Save McCuddy's
06-03-2006, 11:36 PM
As long as we're dreaming, can we give them Garland for Crawford instead?

SweetnesSox
06-04-2006, 12:03 AM
can we give them Garland for Crawford instead?

umm no thanks. as much as I'd love a hole in my starting-five... Was the fifth starter a problem for the white sox before last season? I don't remember.

mmmmmbeeer
06-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Crawford is young and extremely talented. McCarthy is a bust out of the pen and there isn't room in the rotation. You gotta make that deal if it's on the table. Then turn around and you have the ability to deal away Anderson, Sweeney, or Owens being Crawford would become a fixture in our OF.

Save McCuddy's
06-04-2006, 12:29 AM
umm no thanks. as much as I'd love a hole in my starting-five... Was the fifth starter a problem for the white sox before last season? I don't remember.

Hole? Have you missed the whole discussion of what to do with McCarthy? At some point before the all-star break, KW will deal a starter if he can. For my money, I'd put McCarthy in Garland's spot, ship out the 18 million we owe him over the next two seasons and get an already explosive 23 yr old outfielder who's signed for about 4.5/year for the next three.

mmmmmbeeer
06-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Hole? Have you missed the whole discussion of what to do with McCarthy? At some point before the all-star break, KW will deal a starter if he can. For my money, I'd put McCarthy in Garland's spot, ship out the 18 million we owe him over the next two seasons and get an already explosive 23 yr old outfielder who's signed for about 4.5/year for the next three.

garland has a no-trade clause for this season. either mccarthy or freddy will be the sp to go, if KW deals. personally, I'd keep freddy and his years of experience for the quest to repeat, while dealing the "wet behind the ears" mccarthy in attempt to fill the bullpen, uribe, or anderson hole.

MERPER
06-04-2006, 01:02 AM
First and foremost, this is a win-win situation.... either we keep McCarthy and watch him become a stud in the rotation or we acquire an extremely young and talented ballplayer...

I have been a huge fan of Carl Crawford since he came up...(little known fact about this kid is that out of HS he was drafted in the first round of the MLB draft by the D'Rays, had a full scholarship to UCLA to play point guard, and had a full scholarship to Nebraska to play QB).... talk about an ATHLETE...

Anyways, the kid is just beginning to tap into his potential... with his speed and hitting ability, he can be our LF or CF for the next 10 years...

Let's be honest about 2 things: Pods is almost at the end of the road because his legs are running out of steam and his legs are his ticket in the big leagues... Also, Brandon is not a quality bullpen guy and we have no room for him in the rotation for the forseeable future... in 3 years when Jose, Jon, Freddy and Javy may all be gone we have 7 pitchers in the minors peforming well to replace them.. Let's assume we re-sign Mark and 3 of those kids can go we are in good shape meaning Brandon is extremely tradable... then KW can make another deal for bullpen help...

BadBobbyJenks
06-04-2006, 01:28 PM
I think its hilarious some of you think we shouldnt do mccarthy for crawford if that was an option. You got to be kidding me, if KW got that offfer he would do it in less than a second.........

SABRSox
06-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Ahem... Carl Crawford is a terrible leadoff hitter. Way too agressive at the plate, not nearly a high enough OBP. He's a prototypical 2 hitter, and he'll probably shift to a 3 once his power develops.

As much as I love Carl Crawford, I'd rather hang on to McCarthy. I bet Crawford will come cheaper trade-wise once he becomes arbitration eligible.

walrus
06-04-2006, 01:57 PM
long as we're dealing with the devil dogs, how about mccarthy and anderson for crawford and kazmir?

Bump34
06-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Haven't heard anything about CC moving on... and he won't be any cheaper anytime soon... he signed what was essentially a 6 year contract last season...

Ahem... Carl Crawford is a terrible leadoff hitter. Way too agressive at the plate, not nearly a high enough OBP. He's a prototypical 2 hitter, and he'll probably shift to a 3 once his power develops.

As much as I love Carl Crawford, I'd rather hang on to McCarthy. I bet Crawford will come cheaper trade-wise once he becomes arbitration eligible.

Lip Man 1
06-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Dave:

Good to hear from you! Hope all is well for you in Florida!!

Lip

White Sox Randy
06-05-2006, 01:48 PM

On this, we agree.

White Sox Randy
06-05-2006, 01:51 PM
I think its hilarious some of you think we shouldnt do mccarthy for crawford if that was an option. You got to be kidding me, if KW got that offfer he would do it in less than a second.........

Wrong. McCarthy will not be traded. The Sox will unload one of our starting pitchers after the season so Brandon can start.

The only thing this team NEEDS now is bullpen help and prospects will get that done. The problem is that KW may have to wait until July 31 to get a good deal done and by then who knows how many games our bullpen will blow.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I think we forget how desperate for offense we were last year. If Kenny didn't trade McCarthy for offense last year, I can't see him doing it this year.

Going forward, Kenny needs payroll flexability. A starting pitcher making close to the minimum for a while probably won't go anywhere.