PDA

View Full Version : These fans are a little flat

moochpuppy
02-04-2002, 08:18 AM
This is an excerpt from the ESPN article about the signing of Lofton:

Lofton, who has 20 leadoff homers in his career, can earn an additional $375,000 in performance bonuses and $1.4 million in bonuses based on the team's home attendance.

If I were Lofton I'd invest in some cardboard cutouts for the upperdeck seats. :D:

pearso66
02-04-2002, 02:32 PM
who in the world puts that in a contract?? ive never heard of such a thing, what is lofton gonna go out and buy tickets so the attendance goes up?? i dont think getting him is gonna make ticket sales rise, so why does reinsdorf put such a stupid incentive into the contract?

bjmarte
02-04-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
who in the world puts that in a contract?? ive never heard of such a thing, what is lofton gonna go out and buy tickets so the attendance goes up?? i dont think getting him is gonna make ticket sales rise, so why does reinsdorf put such a stupid incentive into the contract?
This is a brilliant move from a cheapskate perspective, you only have to pay the incentive money if you are making more money off of ticket sales. It doesn't matter if ticket sales don't go up, if they don't then he doesn't have to spend the money.

voodoochile
02-04-2002, 02:46 PM
Some fans will come out to see Lofton. He is local to the Chicago community and has been a star in the league for a number of years. He may well draw a few extra thousand fans this summer by himself.
Lofton is a brand name African-American star. If he starts lighting it up and the Sox start rolling, it might take on a life of its own.

nut_stock
02-04-2002, 03:31 PM
It seems to me that power hitters, and high strike-out pitchers are about the only draws any more.

RichH55
02-05-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
It seems to me that power hitters, and high strike-out pitchers are about the only draws any more.

Dont forget the Star quoitent out there as well...>>>Cal was drawing them in last year......