PDA

View Full Version : Look what we've gone and done

MERPER
06-01-2006, 10:44 PM
I love this team more than anything, but they are making me sick... there is too much talent on this team to be playing like this... In the last 3 days we have:

--Failed to gain any ground on the Tigers and currently stand 2.5 games back

--Seen the Red Sox and Yankees close to with in 1.5 games of the wild card

--Single-handedly woke the Indians up and probably changed their entire season (we are 3-6 against them this year btw)

I know it's too early to watch the standings but that isn't even what concerns me most... This team is freakishly starting to resemble the 2004 team, relying on all power with little pitching... the starters are not holding leads or going very deep into games (6 innings is not a huge achievement)... the bullpen is an absolute joke... the defense has regressed and they aren't laying down bunts or moving runners along

Suddenly, this team has a load of questions surrounding it as we enter a part of the schedule that is extremely hard... if they don't figure something out fast we could get buried right here...

Hawk and DJ keep saying that the 33-20 record is based solely on talent, so great job by KW on assembling this team... but Ozzie better figure out what the problem is FAST if that is the case because there is no rhythm or fundamentals being shown

I am not being a dark cloud, I am simply being realistic here... I still believe in my heart that this team is the best team in baseball, and I suppose that is what makes this all the more frustrating... At some point in every team's season fans get frustrated and have questions... I hope, like last August/September, this is the only time this season

Hopefully, the Cell will provide them with the lift they need over the next 9...

FarWestChicago
06-01-2006, 10:47 PM
I am not being a dark cloudNo, actually you are. But, go for it. It's your time and you are entitled to some time in the spotlight.

:darkclouds:

MUsoxfan
06-01-2006, 10:48 PM

I'm as pissed as anyone. However, start talking to me about the wild card exactly 3 months from today

1951Campbell
06-01-2006, 10:48 PM
--Are we convinced the Tigers are for real? Hmm? Totally convinced?

--Easy hoss, a little early to be wildcard-watching.

--I don't think we "woke the Indians up", they just played fairly good ball against a Sox team that played slightly flat ball.

thomas35forever
06-01-2006, 10:51 PM
I thought we agreed not to compare this year's team to the 2004 team. One lousy road trip and you're basing our season on that.

MERPER
06-01-2006, 10:52 PM

--Easy hoss, a little early to be wildcard-watching.

--I don't think we "woke the Indians up", they just played fairly good ball against a Sox team that played slightly flat ball.

--I never said I am convinced the Tigers are for real... but they have beaten up on the easy teams and just like us, only play the Yankees and BoSox 7 times... well, they just lose 3 of 4 and we failed to gain ground

-- It's way too early to be wild card watching, I agree... that point was simply made to show how bad the last 3 days have been

-- If you listened to Hawk, DJ, and even Farmer... the Indians were neding a series like this to spark them and give them a mental boost that they can handle the Sox.... they did just that... they mixed in good hitting and good pitching after game 1 and basically dominated us...

HartmanSox
06-01-2006, 10:55 PM
at this point i'm concerned. imagine this team without Thome. we'd probably be hovering around .500 if that.

starters need to step it up and the bullpen, well, it needs a major shakeup.

Jjav829
06-01-2006, 10:56 PM

The Tigers are not for real. Maroth is now gone for 3 months. Verlander was hit around tonight and isn't going to continue this pace when he is on pace to pitch 80+ innings more than he has ever pitched in a season. Plus the Tigers would have to be insane to let him throw that many innings. Rogers will go downhill in the 2nd half. Bonderman will probably improve, but that isn't enough to offset the other three. The Tigers are not this good. I still think the Indians will be our main competition when all is said and done.

thomas35forever
06-01-2006, 11:02 PM
The Tigers are not for real. Maroth is now gone for 3 months. Verlander was hit around tonight and isn't going to continue this pace when he is on pace to pitch 80+ innings more than he has ever pitched in a season. Plus the Tigers would have to be insane to let him throw that many innings. Rogers will go downhill in the 2nd half. Bonderman will probably improve, but that isn't enough to offset the other three. The Tigers are not this good. I still think the Indians will be our main competition when all is said and done.
Be careful with what you're saying. It could come back to haunt us later.

whitesoxwilkes
06-01-2006, 11:05 PM

Just like last year...and we saw how awful that turned out.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Wilkes:

As the Sox themselves said as early as spring training, 'this is a different team this year.' Last year doesn't automatically fortell anything the next season.

Lip

Chips
06-01-2006, 11:15 PM
He looks up

http://www.focusgallery.nl/albums/Frank_Peters/Last_light_under_dark_clouds_North_Sea.jpg

infohawk
06-01-2006, 11:15 PM
The Tigers are not for real. Maroth is now gone for 3 months. Verlander was hit around tonight and isn't going to continue this pace when he is on pace to pitch 80+ innings more than he has ever pitched in a season. Plus the Tigers would have to be insane to let him throw that many innings. Rogers will go downhill in the 2nd half. Bonderman will probably improve, but that isn't enough to offset the other three. The Tigers are not this good. I still think the Indians will be our main competition when all is said and done. The Tigers are a good team, but their stellar team ERA is slowly but surely starting to rise. They would have lost tonight if Rivera pitched the ninth instead of Farnsworth. Also, we are actually outperforming them offensively.

A baseball season is really divided into thirds. The first two months are spent figuring out what you have. The next two months are spent figuring out what you need. The final two months is a pedal-to-the-metal drive for the playoffs with whatever upgrades were made at the trade deadline.

The capstone to this team team will be an upgrade to the bullpen. The team (and fans) went into the season knowing that the bullpen was a question mark. Everyone was right. Kenny will fix it. In KW I trust!!!

goon
06-01-2006, 11:16 PM

meh, i actually agree, i also don't think the indians have what it takes to sustain "long-term" success, either. the tigers starting rotation is beginning to show it's true colors, especially with rogers having some bad outings, maroth now gone for a LONG period of time, bonderman having some tough outings and verlander cracking under the pressure/getting beat up by a good, but injured, offense. i SERIOUSLY doubt the tigers are in for a 90+ victory season because most of their wins have come from stellar outings from that rotation, doesn't look like that is going to be the case for long.

on that note, the indians have shown that their rotation is considerably weak, they simply don't have the horses to complete the workload that a starting rotation needs to handle... and with that bullpen, they are going to need to score a lot of runs in nearly every game to have a chance to win. unfortuantely for them, offenses slump, no matter how good they are.

from my estimate the only thing that is going to beat the white sox are themselves and if they continue to, dare i say, go out there and play without fundamentals, intelligence and heart they are going to have to battle for first place. that may get us into the playoffs, but it isn't going to win a world series.

p.s. i got tickets tomorrow's game, anybody else?

Soxfanspcu11
06-01-2006, 11:29 PM
p.s. i got tickets tomorrow's game, anybody else?

I'll be there. Holding it down in my season tickets in the bleachers, section 163.

9 games in 10 days and I will be there for all of them. I LOOOOOOOVE season tickets!!!!

Oh, and by the way, MERPER, I guess that we also "woke up" Tampa when we allowed them 2 of 3 right?:rolleyes:

MERPER
06-01-2006, 11:45 PM
I'll be there. Holding it down in my season tickets in the bleachers, section 163.

9 games in 10 days and I will be there for all of them. I LOOOOOOOVE season tickets!!!!

Oh, and by the way, MERPER, I guess that we also "woke up" Tampa when we allowed them 2 of 3 right?:rolleyes:

Come on man.... Tampa can't be woken up... and they aren't in our division... Cleveland is a divisional rival that has been struggling all year.. they just took 3 of 4 and 3 straight... 2 games we lead by 3 runs at one point and they came back to win and another they just completely dominated us... how you even throw that out there is beyond me...

JB98
06-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Come on man.... Tampa can't be woken up... and they aren't in our division... Cleveland is a divisional rival that has been struggling all year.. they just took 3 of 4 and 3 straight... 2 games we lead by 3 runs at one point and they came back to win and another they just completely dominated us... how you even throw that out there is beyond me...

Yeah, Cleveland won 93 games last year. I don't think they are as good as they were last season, but they are obviously still a threat. Tampa Bay is obviously a non-factor.

oeo
06-01-2006, 11:47 PM

Finally some people are starting to realize this. If Yankees pitching didn't suck so much today, they would have swept the Tigers. They will be in third place at the end of the year.

oeo
06-01-2006, 11:49 PM

I hope you didn't think the Indians were going to hover around .500 all year. That team has too much talent to only be a .500 team. I still think they need another pitcher if they want to win the division, but they're the serious threat, not the Tigers.

Jjav829
06-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Finally some people are starting to realize this. If Yankees pitching didn't suck so much today, they would have swept the Tigers. They will be in third place at the end of the year.

Finally? Finally? I've been preaching this since people started talking about Detroit's start and I will continue to until the Tigers prove me wrong.

Jjav829
06-01-2006, 11:52 PM
I hope you didn't think the Indians were going to hover around .500 all year. That team has too much talent to only be a .500 team. I still think they need another pitcher if they want to win the division, but they're the serious threat, not the Tigers.

I have to think Jeremy Sowers could be that boost in the 2nd half. I know they are paying a decent amount of money to Byrd and Johnson, but they can't keep trotting both out there every 5 days with they way they are pitching. Sowers is tearing up AAA. Add him in and figure that Cliff Lee is bound to improve and there's the real threat to the Sox.

Frontman
06-01-2006, 11:55 PM
I'll worry if we keep dropping 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 when on the road. Otherwise, one bad roadtrip isn't the end of the season. As my wife put it, "Hopefully these past few weeks of weak Sox baseball is this years August 2005."

My concern really is Ozzie announcing that Paul will sit for all the away games during the Interleague play coming up. Granted, Thome will just crush the ball out of Wrigley and the other smaller stadiums, but without seeing him play first since last year, I hope that's not a major gaff. (Not in the sense that just Thome might stink, but I don't want our best bat getting nailed my an errant Raphael Furcal/Derrick Lee/knocked on his rear and onto the DL moment.)

Gload at first today scared me enough.

We just played some lousy ball this week. Hope we can get back on track against Texas. It's not like Garland is starting the series.....wait. Nevermind. Where's that "the sky is falling" photo? Noooooooooooo.......

;)

Frontman

Jjav829
06-01-2006, 11:56 PM

Unless the Tigers are putting my posts on their bulletin board in the clubhouse, I don't think anything I say here is going to haunt us.

oeo
06-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Finally? Finally? I've been preaching this since people started talking about Detroit's start and I will continue to until the Tigers prove me wrong.

Sorry, I guess I've missed it under all the "Tigers are the 2005 Sox" posts. I feel and have felt the same exact way you do about the Tigers. They will not touch the division crown, not even close.

MERPER
06-02-2006, 12:07 AM

Of course I didn't think they were going to hover around .500 all year... but here's the concern... we are now 3-6 against them with 9 left... as we know from last year, games within the division are the most important... look what we did against cleveland last year and you have the SINGLE BIGGEST reason we won the division... A split in this series and we keep the Tribe 8 back with only 9 head-to-head to go... now they are 6 back of us... and it's not like we can go back and make-up these games...

voodoochile
06-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Of course I didn't think they were going to hover around .500 all year... but here's the concern... we are now 3-6 against them with 9 left... as we know from last year, games within the division are the most important... look what we did against cleveland last year and you have the SINGLE BIGGEST reason we won the division... A split in this series and we keep the Tribe 8 back with only 9 head-to-head to go... now they are 6 back of us... and it's not like we can go back and make-up these games...

I'm guessing 6 of those 9 are at home?

All they did was hold serve...

oeo
06-02-2006, 12:12 AM
It's only 9 games, who says the Sox won't win the last 9? Come talk to me when the Sox are 3-12 against them.

And you also have to add in that the Sox have also beat teams that they didn't last year. Angels (sweep in LA) and A's (sweep at home) come to mind. They will win more games against the Indians, the Indians just caught them at the right time.

DSpivack
06-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Indians were motivated in a series at home, against their division rivals who also are defending champs, they closed to within 1.5 games last year, we have their former star player as our best hitter.

Now we're going back home against the Rangers. Relax, we're fine.

Mohoney
06-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Verlander was hit around tonight and isn't going to continue this pace when he is on pace to pitch 80+ innings more than he has ever pitched in a season. Plus the Tigers would have to be insane to let him throw that many innings.

Bingo. I doubt that Leyland would fry this kid's arm.

Mohoney
06-02-2006, 12:34 AM
I'm guessing 6 of those 9 are at home?

All they did was hold serve...

In all fairness, they took 2 out of 3 from us in our park, and split a 2 gamer and won 3 of a 4 gamer in their park. They're playing well against us this season, they're a better team than their record would indicate, and I'll definitely give them credit where credit is due.

In other news, I have developed insane hate for Grady Sizemore. It seems like every time I look, the guy is on base. How many runs has this guy scored against us this year?

QCIASOXFAN
06-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Is he going to start comparing Jenks to Billy Koch the next time he blows a save? Its to early in the year to be getting all wound up!

Tigerslover
06-02-2006, 01:28 AM
I don't know if it means much but I saw on ESPN that in the history of baseball the team that leads their respective division at memorial day, has won that division 53 percent of the time. Just a little food for thought, probably doesn't mean much really, but take it as you will.

fuzzy_patters
06-02-2006, 01:33 AM
I don't know if it means much but I saw on ESPN that in the history of baseball the team that leads their respective division at memorial day, has won that division 53 percent of the time. Just a little food for thought, probably doesn't mean much really, but take it as you will.

I guess that means that 47% of the time they don't win it. That's only a difference of 6 percentage points. That seems like a pretty meaningless statistic.

oeo
06-02-2006, 02:19 AM

That's a great statistic!

You can look back at this when you're thinking "what could have been" in July, August, September, and watching the Sox in the postseason again.

peeonwrigley
06-02-2006, 02:20 AM

Well ****, who wants my tickets?

HotelWhiteSox
06-02-2006, 02:25 AM

Standings on June 1, 2005 http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/standings/index.jsp?ymd=20050601

Standings at the end of the year:
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/standings/index.jsp?ymd=20051002

*cough* Look at the AL East and West*cough*

Point, the past has no bearing on what will happen this year. In the end, it's about winning, not history, curses, etc

StillMissOzzie
06-02-2006, 02:48 AM
Standings on June 1, 2005 http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/standings/index.jsp?ymd=20050601

*cough* Look at the AL East and West*cough*

Point, the past has no bearing on what will happen this year. In the end, it's about winning, not history, curses, etc

****! Baltimore was 32-20, just like the Sox are today!
The Sox are doomed! DOOMED, I say!

SMO
:rolleyes:

StockdaleForVeep
06-02-2006, 02:56 AM
I love this team more than anything, but they are making me sick... there is too much talent on this team to be playing like this... In the last 3 days we have:

--Failed to gain any ground on the Tigers and currently stand 2.5 games back

--Single-handedly woke the Indians up and probably changed their entire season (we are 3-6 against them this year btw)

I know it's too early to watch the standings but that isn't even what concerns me most... This team is freakishly starting to resemble the 2004 team, relying on all power with little pitching... the starters are not holding leads or going very deep into games (6 innings is not a huge achievement)... the bullpen is an absolute joke... the defense has regressed and they aren't laying down bunts or moving runners along

Suddenly, this team has a load of questions surrounding it as we enter a part of the schedule that is extremely hard... if they don't figure something out fast we could get buried right here...

Hawk and DJ keep saying that the 33-20 record is based solely on talent, so great job by KW on assembling this team... but Ozzie better figure out what the problem is FAST if that is the case because there is no rhythm or fundamentals being shown

I am not being a dark cloud, I am simply being realistic here... I still believe in my heart that this team is the best team in baseball, and I suppose that is what makes this all the more frustrating... At some point in every team's season fans get frustrated and have questions... I hope, like last August/September, this is the only time this season

Hopefully, the Cell will provide them with the lift they need over the next 9...
Right, 1st day in june and somehow losing to cleveland has woken them up

Lemme ask u this chet, why werent the Jndians woken up when they beat us a few times in august last season?

Take yer valium and calm down

Also u do realize indians arent even contending yet, this is like losing to KC, meaning little

Tigerslover
06-02-2006, 03:07 AM
That's a great statistic!

You can look back at this when you're thinking "what could have been" in July, August, September, and watching the Sox in the postseason again.

I have every belief we will be in the playoffs this season. Be it the division or the wild card, we will be there.

Grzegorz
06-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Please drop the talk about the wild card...

Hoping that the competition will come back down to earth is a really a sad way to look at our opportunity to win the division.

The White Sox have to play better. Hoping that the Tigers collapse, or that the Indians/Twins are too far back is pollyanna.

The answer in in our dugout and our front office.

And no, you do not trade BA or Brandon McCarthy.

mccoydp
06-02-2006, 07:25 AM

Go ahead, flip a coin.:cool:

MadetoOrta
06-02-2006, 07:31 AM
I'm as pissed as anyone. However, start talking to me about the wild card exactly 3 months from today

Agreed. A wee bit early on that.

harwar
06-02-2006, 07:57 AM
The White Sox are clearly not only the class of the AL Central,but the entire American League.
I think the indians and tigers will produce good records this year but they are in no way built for the long haul as the White Sox are.
The only thing that worries me at this point is guys like Konerko,Pods,or any of our starting staff playing in the all star game because these guys are clearly tired.They played close stress-filled games all last year and almost to november.
Thankfully we have a manager who will play his bench players so that those who played so many innings last year can get as much rest as possible during the first half.

Frontman
06-02-2006, 08:20 AM

Statistics provided by the network that brought you "Bonds on Bonds."

Heh.

Frontman

White Sox Randy
06-02-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm concerned also BUT :

We are still only 2 games off last year's pace.

The Tigers are good but not THAT good.

We only have 2 areas of concern right now - the bullpen and CF. There probably is NO other team in baseball that can say that.

The bullpen has been bad and does not look like a championship pen but that could be remedied with ONE lights out righty added.

Atleast we have an excellent GM that is well aware of these things and can and will get a deal done when we need to.

Enjoy the season, the Sox are going to win 95-100 games. They will also lose about 65. That's baseball.

Law11
06-02-2006, 08:50 AM
I thought we agreed not to compare this year's team to the 2004 team. One lousy road trip and you're basing our season on that.

I agree this aint 04 but its been more than 1 lousy road trip.
Remember the last one with the games we gave away at Minnesota and Tampa? We are a flat out average team on the road right now.
The sight of a decent pitcher seems to throw these guys on both sides into a slide.
20 losses and 14 are on the road..

DaveIsHere
06-02-2006, 08:53 AM
We almost look like Boston last year, great at home and horrible on the road.

This game last night was the first time this year I was really pissed that we lost. I am going to clear my head today and get ready for the game tonight.

As a side note, I thought all home games were in HD, tonights game is on Comcast+ (CLTV) and I dont think there is a channel for that:angry:

Frater Perdurabo
06-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Ah yes, I love the smell of pants pissers and dark clouds in the morning.

Here's my rational quantitative and qualitative analysis:

The Sox have given up 236 runs, for an average of 4.45 per game. In their 20 losses, the Sox have given up 145 runs (an average of 7.25 runs per game). We definitely need to bench or demote the #9 hitter for this! In their 33 wins, they have surrendered 91 total runs (2.75 runs per game).

The Sox have scored 293 runs this season, for an average of 5.53 per game. (On average, they are outscoring their opponents by more than one full run per game.) In the 20 losses, they have scored 71 runs (3.55 per game). In the 33 wins, they have scored 222 runs (6.72 per game).

As the pitching goes, so go the Sox. Let's blame the slick-fielding center fielder.

For those who are worried about the Sox offense failing to do the "little things," consider this: there is little reason for Podsednik or Iguchi to try stealing a base with Thome at the plate. Opposing pitchers already prefer to walk him. If first base then is open, they will walk him to take the bat out of his hands. Konerko's good, but with Thome on first, it's just as likely that he will hit into a rally-killing GIDP (in fact, that's what the opposing pitcher will try to do by throwing sinkers).

Moving over a runner via a sacrifice is great if you only need to score one run (as the Sox often only had to do last year). But in their losses, the Sox have found themselves down by a wide margin late in the game (often because the bullpen has thrown gas on the fire). Taking the bat out of the hands of Thome, Konerko, Dye or even AJ is not smart in that situation. Instead, the smart thing to do is to take your chances that one of the boppers will hit a big homer or even an RBI double. Playing "small ball" works well for teams who don't have much power, as the Sox demonstrated in April and May of last year (Paulie, Dye and Crede got off to bad starts, and Everett was the #3 hitter). However, to play that kind of game when down by three or more runs late in the game - because the starter has had an occasional bad game, or more often because the BULLPEN HAS BLOWN IT - doesn't make sense.

Put the blame squarely where it lies: the Sox often lose when their bullpen pours gas on the fire. Hey, but benching Brian Anderson will fix it! If the bullpen doesn't improve, rest assured that Kenny Williams will address it, either by promoting a promising minor leaguer, or more likely, via trade.

ode to veeck
06-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Unless the Tigers are putting my posts on their bulletin board in the clubhouse, I don't think anything I say here is going to haunt us.

It's only the :darkclouds: that will eternally haunt us

SoxFan78
06-02-2006, 10:49 AM

http://images.quizilla.com/N/nanabush500/1108183162_BRIAN.jpg

Brian Fantana (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0748620/): They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

MarySwiss
06-02-2006, 11:12 AM
I have every belief we will be in the playoffs this season. Be it the division or the wild card, we will be there.

And I have every belief that I will win the lottery tomorrow. Guess we'll both just have to wait and see, won't we? :rolleyes:

tebman
06-02-2006, 04:26 PM
<snipped excellent analysis...>

Put the blame squarely where it lies: the Sox often lose when their bullpen pours gas on the fire. Hey, but benching Brian Anderson will fix it! If the bullpen doesn't improve, rest assured that Kenny Williams will address it, either by promoting a promising minor leaguer, or more likely, via trade.
Frater, this is the best summary I've seen this season. The White Sox aren't an invincible death star -- they have a weakness right now, and it's the bullpen. Nobody knows that better than Ken Williams, and you can bet the farm that he's been on the phone for the last few weeks trying to improve it.

It's a long season <insert a lame-cliche tag here>. The Sox might lose. But they're certainly not trying to, and the team is as well-equipped as any in the big leagues. If we were somehow told that nothing was going to change (no trades would be made, no Charlotte call-ups, nobody breaking out of a slump, etc.), then I'd be upset too.

I hate seeing the Sox lose games as much or more than anybody. But like it's already been said, that's baseball; they're going to lose around 65 games, and they're within a couple percent of last year's pace. So let's enjoy the games. Most of us have waited our whole lives to be able to have this conversation.

The Wall
06-02-2006, 04:39 PM
So all it took is one 3 game losing streak to end May and the mightiest of dark clouds are back? Just like how it is outside right now?

Come on man...its not like this team fell off the face of the earth overnight. It still has a great starting staff and an awesome closer. We need to shore up the pieces that will get you from your starter to your closer. Cotts, Politte, Nelson, McCarthy (and to an extent Thornton) need to work through this situation. There is plenty of time to do that.

And we still have that little thing of playing the kitties another 16 times. They are swatting away the one decent team they played at the same time.

1951Campbell
06-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Ah yes, I love the smell of pants pissers and dark clouds in the morning.

Pissed Pants Posts!

http://image.com.com/mp3/images/cover/200/dre300/e389/e38938v60jy.jpg

"You down with PPP?"

"Yeah, you know me!"

ilsox7
06-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Frater, this is the best summary I've seen this season. The White Sox aren't an invincible death star -- they have a weakness right now, and it's the bullpen. Nobody knows that better than Ken Williams, and you can bet the farm that he's been on the phone for the last few weeks trying to improve it.

It's a long season <insert a lame-cliche tag here>. The Sox might lose. But they're certainly not trying to, and the team is as well-equipped as any in the big leagues. If we were somehow told that nothing was going to change (no trades would be made, no Charlotte call-ups, nobody breaking out of a slump, etc.), then I'd be upset too.

I hate seeing the Sox lose games as much or more than anybody. But like it's already been said, that's baseball; they're going to lose around 65 games, and they're within a couple percent of last year's pace. So let's enjoy the games. Most of us have waited our whole lives to be able to have this conversation.

Very, very well said.

TDog
06-02-2006, 05:30 PM
... Put the blame squarely where it lies: the Sox often lose when their bullpen pours gas on the fire. Hey, but benching Brian Anderson will fix it! If the bullpen doesn't improve, rest assured that Kenny Williams will address it, either by promoting a promising minor leaguer, or more likely, via trade.

I honestly don't see a trade helping the bullpen. Most of the relievers who are available are pitchers who have had trouble somewhere else. Even if they are currently successful, it doesn't mean they "have found it" because relievers are just as likely to lose it again. Pitchers you've never heard of are just as likely to be successful if they have a good pitch or two that no one has seen. The most successful reliever against the Tigers last night was a guy brought up from Columbus the night before. And because their ace hurt his back getting dressed (right), the Yankees were left without their top closer. Bullpens used to be full of guys who couldn't break the starting rotation. Expansion and specialization in high school and college has contributed to a breed of pitchers that on their best days have a ceiling of 3 innings.

Every team has bullpen weaknesses. Cleveland blew a 2-run lead last night after the Sox bullpen blew one lead and before the Sox bullpen blew another. Almost never do you know what you get when you call in a relief pitcher who may not have sufficiently warmed up or may have trouble throwing strikes on a strange mound. This isn't an excuse for an underperforming bullpen, it's reality.

And the White Sox are experiencing the reality of a pennant race. Even the best Yankee teams didn't go wire to wire every year.

Lip Man 1
06-02-2006, 05:45 PM
TDog:

First off we have no idea whom may be available with any certainty in the next month. As teams fall out of it, you never know whom may be on the market and for what reasons (including financial not performance...)

This is where Kenny earns his salary. He's pulled off some deals that no one predicted before hand. I have every reason to think he may be able to do something again.

Bottom line, the bullpen as currently constructed simply can't go on costing the team games they way they have been.

Kenny really doesn't have any choice in the matter.

Lip

SouthSide_HitMen
06-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Pissed Pants Posts!

http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~joel/attic/images/Winona.in.gray.gif

"All the Dark Clouds do is ruin their pants, maybe not even that. Can you bleach out urine stains?"

chidonez
06-02-2006, 06:08 PM
I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said. But I wanted to go on record as NOT a dark cloud.