PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Mike Sirotka and Jim Parque?

PKalltheway
06-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Since there are a lot of knowledgeable Sox fans here, I thought I should ask what happened to these two. They contributed to the success of the 2000 team and I was wondering what became of those two.

Baby Fisk
06-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Sirotka is a dirty word in Toronto. He was traded in the 2000 off-season to Toronto as part of the David Wells deal, and arrived as "damaged goods". He never recovered from an arm injury, and the Jays were left on the hook paying the salary for a player that never took the field in their uniform. They paid him $3 million in 2001 and $3.8 million in 2002. He never pitched in the majors again after 2000.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/sirotmi01.shtml

Ol' No. 2
06-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Butter never really recovered from his arm problems. He pitched for the Sox for two more seasons after 2000, but not much and not very well. They tried him out of the bullpen in 2002, but he wasn't much better there. He started 5 games for the Drays in 2003, but was even worse than he was with the Sox. Five starts and 17 1/3 IP is all you need to know about that.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/parquji01.shtml

JoeyCora28
06-01-2006, 04:46 PM
:nardi

Why's everyone looking at me?

PKalltheway
06-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Thanks you guys, I knew I could get the information I wanted!:D:

White City
06-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Teach him not to do a thorough physical!:D:

Milw
06-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Teach him not to do a thorough physical!:D:
Dumbash is now the assistant GM for the Brewers. Guy looks like an absolute tool.

infohawk
06-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Sirotka is a dirty word in Toronto. He was traded in the 2000 off-season to Toronto as part of the David Wells deal, and arrived as "damaged goods". He never recovered from an arm injury, and the Jays were left on the hook paying the salary for a player that never took the field in their uniform. They paid him $3 million in 2001 and $3.8 million in 2002. He never pitched in the majors again after 2000.

I'll add that Sirotka signed with the Cubs two or three years ago but obviously never made it back to the bigs.

miker
06-02-2006, 11:28 AM

After his ignominious stay in Chicago, I'm not so sure David Wells was the "good" part of that deal.

DrCrawdad
06-02-2006, 12:44 PM
I'll add that Sirotka signed with the Cubs two or three years ago but obviously never made it back to the bigs.

Remember those Cubune articles and other media reports about Sirotka signing with the Cubs? Remember how they said Sirotka would be up and contributing to the Cubs early in the season? Then Sirotka silently disappeared?

IA_soxfan
06-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Remember those Cubune articles and other media reports about Sirotka signing with the Cubs? Remember how they said Sirotka would be up and contributing to the Cubs early in the season? Then Sirotka silently disappeared?

The cubs love to eat the scraps off our table. Jason Bere anybody? Just think, they suck now, and soon the clock will strike midnight and Howry will turn back into this:

:gascan

Max Power
06-04-2006, 12:47 PM
After his ignominious stay in Chicago, I'm not so sure David Wells was the "good" part of that deal.

Talk about a high profile trade that benefited neither team. Didn't the Sox throw in a prospect after Sirotka's injury came to light? I'm pretty sure none of the prospects in the deal did anything worthwhile.

Wsoxmike59
06-07-2006, 07:07 AM
I remember going in to the 2000 ALDS playoffs how banged up our pitching staff was. Eldred was out, Sirotka and Baldwin were nursing sore shoulders and Jim Parque was deemed the healthiest of the starters so he got the nod in game 1.

I've always admired the 2000 Sox starters for taking the ball and giving it what they had in the ALDS, and the Sox battled the Mariners tooth and nail in that series.

The part that really pissed me off however was, knowing that Sirotka had a bum shoulder, the Sox then allowed Mike to participate in the All-Stars tour of Japan in Nov of 2000!

I was screaming like a banshee about it over at whitesox.com back in 2000 and said that it made no sense whatsoever!

I thought "rest" should have been the order of the day for Mike Sirotka, and he never should have been allowed to pitch in that series. (IIRC I think he logged one start and went 6 innings)

Shortly after the Japanese Tour, he was traded for David Wells.

slavko
06-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Compare the arms on that 2000 team with current staff and you get a better feeling about what Jerry Manuel's team did that year. Although they did coast home the second half of 2000 and disappeared in the playoffs. (When the ace of your staff is Mike Sirotka....)

RKMeibalane
06-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Talk about a high profile trade that benefited neither team. Didn't the Sox throw in a prospect after Sirotka's injury came to light? I'm pretty sure none of the prospects in the deal did anything worthwhile.

I want to say Brian Simmons, but I'm not positive. Can someone help me out?

spiffie
06-07-2006, 11:47 AM
(When the ace of your staff is Mike Sirotka....)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, at least in 2000. Sirotka had a 3.79 ERA in a year where the AL ERA was a ridiculous 5.17, giving him an ERA+ of 136. He was tied for 3rd in the AL in ERA that year with Mike Mussina, and only .09 behind Roger Clemens for 2nd place. (Pedro was first with a mind-boggling 1.74). For comparison only one pitcher last year for us had a better ERA relative to the league, Buehrle with a ERA+ of 143.

Sirotka was finishing his second straight year in the top 9 of ERA in the AL, and if he hadn't blown out his arm who knows what he might have been able to do. But to imply that the 2000 team was weak with him involved is just not fair.

Chez
06-07-2006, 12:18 PM
I want to say Brian Simmons, but I'm not positive. Can someone help me out?

It was definitly Brian Simmons. And Kevin Beirne

ChiSoxLifer
06-07-2006, 12:51 PM
The White Sox also amended the trade after Selig's ruling. Here's the link:

http://www.spitter.com/spitter_sirotka.htm