PDA

View Full Version : Surgery Time for Mike Maroth

patbooyah
06-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Mike Maroth will undergo arthroscopic surgery Friday to remove bone chips in his left elbow.
How things have changed for the Tigers the last few days. Bone chips are a lot better than ligament damage, but Maroth still might miss two to three months. The Tigers aren't currently providing any timetable for his return. Roman Colon is filling in for him in the rotation. Jun. 1 - 2:10 pm et
Source: Tigers.mlb.com

too bad for the tigers. but this will make it hurt less when the rest of their staff returns to form.

Chez
06-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Makes you appreciate the good health our starters have enjoyed the last few years [reaches for wood to knock on]. Can you imagine how crowded the ledge would be if this had happended to one of our starters?

D. TODD
06-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Wow I never like to hear about key injuries for anybody. That defiantly weakens the Tigers though.

TDog
06-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Makes you appreciate the good health our starters have enjoyed the last few years [reaches for wood to knock on]. Can you imagine how crowded the ledge would be if this had happended to one of our starters?

I can imagine the jubilation among a lot of WSI posters if it were Jon Garland.

oeo
06-01-2006, 02:56 PM
I can imagine the jubilation among a lot of WSI posters if it were Jon Garland.

Nah, Garland gets a lot of crap for basically nothing. His expectations are pretty high and he's getting there, I think he'd be missed in the long run. They could put McCarthy in the rotation, but then that means the bullpen is weakened, and we don't need anymore weakening of the bullpen.

ilsox7
06-01-2006, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't expect Maroth to be of any use for the Tigers the rest of this season.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2006, 03:48 PM
The story that I read on MLB.com said he could return in late July. They used Carl Pavano as an example.

Well, we'll see if the Tigers owner comes through. He publicly stated money would be there (i.e. picking up salary) if needs arose as the trade deadline approached.

Lip

patbooyah
06-01-2006, 04:10 PM
The story that I read on MLB.com said he could return in late July. They used Carl Pavano as an example.

Well, we'll see if the Tigers owner comes through. He publicly stated money would be there (i.e. picking up salary) if needs arose as the trade deadline approached.

Lip

based on the way the pitching is falling off in detroit and their schedule for the next week and a half, i expect the tigers to be a seller by the time the deadline rolls around.

06-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Damn...he was on my Fantasy Team

MUsoxfan
06-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Damn...he was on my Fantasy Team

Mine too....mine too.

However is injury is for the greater good of the Sox

SBSoxFan
06-01-2006, 06:07 PM

Lip

How well did that work out?

CashMan
06-01-2006, 06:18 PM
So, should the Sox try to block a deal with the A's for Barry Zito? Maybe trade for him, then send him to the NL? IF the Tigers get Zito, then the Sox have a problem!

Ol' No. 2
06-01-2006, 06:32 PM
So, should the Sox try to block a deal with the A's for Barry Zito? Maybe trade for him, then send him to the NL? IF the Tigers get Zito, then the Sox have a problem!Beane wouldn't send them Zito for nothing. He's going to want at least two young major-league players (one almost certainly a pitcher, e.g. Verlander, Zumaya, Rodney), plus at least one good prospect. Depending on who those players are, it doesn't necessarily make the Tiggers that much better.

champagne030
06-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Beane wouldn't send them Zito for nothing. He's going to want at least two young major-league players (one almost certainly a pitcher, e.g. Verlander, Zumaya, Rodney), plus at least one good prospect. Depending on who those players are, it doesn't necessarily make the Tiggers that much better.

I agree BB is going to ask a lot, but the teams going after Zito will be in the race and BB will be forced to take prospects. No team in the race is going to give up two starting players and a prospect for anyone. Arizona, Dodgers and LAA are in the best position to provide the prospects. He won't go to the Angels and the D'backs and Dodgers have a surplus of talent in the minor leagues. BB is looking for talent where the Kitties might be looking for a salary dump.

My Point: I agree he's not going to the Tigers.

gf2020
06-01-2006, 07:44 PM
With so many NL teams in it and the AL West still winnable, I doubt Beane would send Zito to a place where could hurt the A's this year in the playoffs.

HomeFish
06-01-2006, 07:56 PM
This makes very little difference unless the Sox actually start winning games again.

FarWestChicago
06-01-2006, 09:02 PM
This makes very little difference unless the Sox actually start winning games again.Well done, HomeFish. The season is O-V-A! :thumbsup:

Ol' No. 2
06-03-2006, 12:31 PM
I agree BB is going to ask a lot, but the teams going after Zito will be in the race and BB will be forced to take prospects. No team in the race is going to give up two starting players and a prospect for anyone. Arizona, Dodgers and LAA are in the best position to provide the prospects. He won't go to the Angels and the D'backs and Dodgers have a surplus of talent in the minor leagues. BB is looking for talent where the Kitties might be looking for a salary dump.

My Point: I agree he's not going to the Tigers.The Sox gave up Olivo to get Freddy Garcia a couple of years ago. If they need a pitcher badly enough, they'll do it.