02-04-2002, 01:17 AM
Rookie Talk

http://www.espn.go.com/gammons/s/2002/0203/1322255.html

kermittheefrog
02-04-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Rookie Talk

http://www.espn.go.com/gammons/s/2002/0203/1322255.html

Gammons is such an idiot. I can't believe he would actually list Malone among guys to watch for midseason when Malone has just 19 AA innings udner his belt yet not mention Borchard or Rauch. The guy's mind is backwards. Considering how the Sox have rsuhed Parque and Buehrle to the majors of late I wouldn't be that surprised to see Malone in our pen in the second half but it's still a stretch.

hold2dibber
02-04-2002, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Gammons is such an idiot. I can't believe he would actually list Malone among guys to watch for midseason when Malone has just 19 AA innings udner his belt yet not mention Borchard or Rauch. The guy's mind is backwards. Considering how the Sox have rsuhed Parque and Buehrle to the majors of late I wouldn't be that surprised to see Malone in our pen in the second half but it's still a stretch.

Why do you think they "rushed" Buehrle to the Bigs? It is certainly true that he got to the majors in a hurry, but it seems obvious to me that he was ready. I mean, he had some early struggles, but he showed flashes right off the bat, and he settled in at the end of 2000 as a critical contributor. And, obviously, he was fantastic last year. And although Parque hasn't had the success that Buehrle had, he has been okay -- I'm not sure if you're implying that the Sox hurt the development of either of those guys by bringing them along quickly, but I don't see any evidence of that.

kermittheefrog
02-04-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Why do you think they "rushed" Buehrle to the Bigs? It is certainly true that he got to the majors in a hurry, but it seems obvious to me that he was ready. I mean, he had some early struggles, but he showed flashes right off the bat, and he settled in at the end of 2000 as a critical contributor. And, obviously, he was fantastic last year. And although Parque hasn't had the success that Buehrle had, he has been okay -- I'm not sure if you're implying that the Sox hurt the development of either of those guys by bringing them along quickly, but I don't see any evidence of that.

I didn't mean they hurt their development, they just brought them to the majors really quickly. Obviously Buehrle has worked out very well.

Randar68
02-04-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Honestly, if our pitchers stay healhty this year, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see any of Malone, Ulacia, Rauch, or Wright all season.

The numbers game just isn't adding up, to me. We have a bunch of mediocre veteran guys in pen and are keeping Parque as a 4th or 5th starter, but how can we justify Parque keeping some of these guys out of the rotation by mid-season?

By the end of May, we are going to be asking ourselves how we are keeping one of these young stud tearing up AA or AAA out of the majors, when we have Parque and Glover as our #4 and #5 guys...although I like Glover's ability to go 7 innings, unlike "The Soft Spread"...