PDA

View Full Version : Offseason trade I would love to see...

White Sox Randy
06-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Josh Fields, Lance Broadway and let's say Chris Getz to Florida...

for Miguel Cabrera.

Play him in LF. Pods / Anderson in center. Keep Dye in RF.

Lineup looks like this:

Pods
Iguchi
Cabrera
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Crede
A.J.
Uribe

Comments ?

cbotnyse
06-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Miguel Cabrera is an awesome young player...I'd love to get him

WSox8404
06-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Pods is not a Centerfielder. He would kind of be like Macko out there. Not really what you want. And you are not going to platoon him and Anderson anyway. They are two different types of hitters. Pods leads off, and once Brian gets going he is a 6 or 7 hitter.

bigdommer
06-01-2006, 10:50 AM
On paper and on grass, I love this trade and I think it is fair and reasonable to both team (although I am sure Florida would ask for BMac).

However, the difficulty in making any changes lies with Pods. I love Pods to death and he works great with the way the Sox use him, but lets face it, he is a light hitting, speedy corner outfielder. He can't play center (long term) and he can't be moved (no market). Dye's option will be picked up and the farm is still deep, so I don't see the Sox picking up an outfielder or taking on salary (Cabrera makes $500k, but he's arbitration eligible). The Sox have their core intact for 2007 and a lot of salary comitted.

cbotnyse
06-01-2006, 11:04 AM
am I :nuts: :kukoo: :nuts: ....but hasnt Cabrera played center field before?

spiffie
06-01-2006, 11:06 AM
am I :nuts: :kukoo: :nuts: ....but hasnt Cabrera played center field before?
Nope. Both corner OF positions and 3B.

Rocky Soprano
06-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Cabrera is awesome. If we pulled off a trade for him, I would just lose it.

kevingrt
06-01-2006, 11:30 AM
I think it would be amazing/impossible to get Cabrera in a trade. Cabrera is the Marlin's centerpiece to another World Series apperance in the next 4/5 years so I doubt he will be traded. But its worth a shot.

JUribe1989
06-01-2006, 11:56 AM
The Marlins are dumb and very cheap, but if they were going to trade Miguel Cabrera they would have during their fire sale. I think he is one of the few that they are keeping.

mwc44
06-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Miguel Cabrera would be a nice addition, but platooning Pods with BA????

***????? :dunno:

rookieroy
06-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Whats the Score?

However...Cabrera would be fantastic in Sox uniform! I would imagine that if Florida decides to get rid of him, watch for a three way trade where Cabrera winds up a Yankee. He has future Yankee written all over him. Bet on it. :(:

DumpJerry
06-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Offseason?

Have too much coffee today? It's June 1st, we still have 2/3 of a season to play right now.

oeo
06-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Brian won't be platooning forever, he will be a fan favorite by the offseason, book it. As for Miguel Cabrera, that would be nice, but let's be realistic here. This isn't PS2, there's no way Pods and Brian platoon in center. Pods is our leadoff hitter...what are you thinking?

SoxFan76
06-01-2006, 01:13 PM
The Marlins are dumb and very cheap, but if they were going to trade Miguel Cabrera they would have during their fire sale. I think he is one of the few that they are keeping.

:?:

They may be cheap, but they aren't dumb. They've won 2 World Series in the last 9 years. They did it teh same way they're doing it now. Fire sale, stock up on prospects, before you know it they're back in the playoffs.

Chicken Dinner
06-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Cabrera is making less than half a million and only has 2+ years of big league time so he's as cheap as they get. He's not going anywhere.

oeo
06-01-2006, 01:41 PM
:?:

They may be cheap, but they aren't dumb. They've won 2 World Series in the last 9 years. They did it teh same way they're doing it now. Fire sale, stock up on prospects, before you know it they're back in the playoffs.

Exactly, the Marlins will win the World Series, or come close to it, in a few more years.

cbotnyse
06-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Exactly, the Marlins will win the World Series, or come close to it, in a few more years.

thats a bold statement.....i will have to disagree, it seems like the owners just want to dump the team. but if they are just cleaning house, they are doing a good job, that $15 mil payroll still baffles me.

of course to win the WS in the next few years they will have to get past the dynasty that is the White Sox. :cool:

oeo
06-01-2006, 01:59 PM
thats a bold statement.....i will have to disagree, it seems like the owners just want to dump the team. but if they are just cleaning house, they are doing a good job, that $15 mil payroll still baffles me.

of course to win the WS in the next few years they will have to get past the dynasty that is the White Sox. :cool:
They got a ton of prospects in return. It was still stupid, but if their prospects pan out, look out in 3, 4, 5 years. They cleaned house after 97 as well, and that worked out pretty well in the end.

cbotnyse
06-01-2006, 02:01 PM
They got a ton of prospects in return. It was still stupid, but if their prospects pan out, look out in 3, 4, 5 years. They cleaned house after 97 as well, and that worked out pretty well in the end.

yeah we will see...its been one hellva roller coaster ride for Marlins fans the last 10 years, thats for sure.

BadBobbyJenks
06-01-2006, 02:49 PM
By the way what is Pods contract situation for next season, the site I normally use for this says he is up at the end of this year, but I dont ever hear anyone talking about him as a potential free agent...Does he still have arbitration eligibility?

DSpivack
06-01-2006, 03:01 PM
yeah we will see...its been one hellva roller coaster ride for Marlins fans the last 10 years, thats for sure.

1997, 2003...2009?

White Sox Randy
06-01-2006, 03:19 PM
I think that the Marlins will trade him MAYBE as early as this offseason.

I don't think that Fields will work out well for the Sox unless they get rid of Crede which I don't want to see.

I think that if we package him to a team that really needs a 3b, like Florida would, we could really get something good for him.

For next year, I could see Pods in CF and Anderson as the 4th OF and defensive replacement. That is if we have a MAJOR hitter like Cabrera in left, it would more than make up for a slight loss in defense.

caulfield12
06-01-2006, 04:04 PM
[quote=White Sox Randy]Josh Fields, Lance Broadway and let's say Chris Getz to Florida...

for Miguel Cabrera.

This trade is a non-starter, and they wouldn't care if they had 5 Chris Getzes.

It would be Fields, Broadway-Liotta-Lumsden, Neal Cotts and another prospect (Jerry Owens).

That's what they would ask for....and KW would be able to keep McCarthy, have the luxury of Crede and Thornton for Fields-Cotts and the loss of a back-of-the-rotation starter (although Lumsden MIGHT be a 3 if he realizes his full potential). As long as they didn't have to give up Sweeney as well, I would definitely consider it.

caulfield12
06-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Pods is eligible for salary arbitration....we can offer it (pretty much a 90-95% certainty) or let him go.

Owens can't play CF. Anderson should not be written off as a 4th outfielder yet, and he should be playing everyday in Charlotte instead of sitting on the bench anyway.

We would be better off letting Owens be the 4th outfielder, or Ozuna.

OG has stated a number of times he doesn't like the big star players on his team....of course, Thome, Pujols and Konerko are different types of star players in terms of their character than C Lee, Magglio or Cabrera, who was assaulted by character issues in the 2nd half last season.

It is OG's call, along with KW. But I doubt it will happen, and it would certainly turn us more into the 2000-2004 team and less the 2005 speed-defense-fundamentals oriented one.

Soxfest
06-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Trade would be nice but not gonna happen.