PDA

View Full Version : 3 Nights in August----the paperback version.

Jurr
06-01-2006, 08:49 AM
I just finished posting about the book 3 Nights in August, about Tony LaRussa. If you haven't read it, it's worth getting. It's great for reading, if you want to know about the finer details of baseball and managing.

The book also goes into the human aspect of baseball...how the clubhouse morale and the temperment of the player has so much to do with winning. As opposed to Moneyball, which states that winning can be summed up by statistical method, this book shows that the people playing the game are fragile mentally, and can lose their games quicker than you can flip a light switch.

The new afterword in the paperback version was added a year after the hardcover was published, and it's an essay about the faults of the logic of the "Moneyballistas" (the people that live and die by stats). It makes a ton of good points.

I love the part where he goes on a rant defending Kenny Williams, a man that was pretty much called a moron by Moneyball. It goes into depth about the Scott Pods trade and how it may have been the big difference with the Sox winning it all.

The paperback is only 14 bucks, and worth reading if you haven't read the book already. Lots of Sox references throughout, as well. Good stuff.

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-01-2006, 12:14 PM
i'm interested once I finish tales from the white sox dugout and eight men out

Baby Fisk
06-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Great review Jurr. :thumbsup: