PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Where'd the Offense Go? postgame thread vs. the Jndjans 5/31/06

cheeses_h_rice
05-31-2006, 09:55 PM
Yeah, some of those 11 runs from a few days ago would sure have come in handy tonight.

Let's get it in gear, boys.

samram
05-31-2006, 09:56 PM
That, that was just not good. Didn't seem like a whole lot of effort got put forth.

Blob
05-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Feels like rain...

rdwj
05-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Didn't seem like we had a chance all night. I HATE slumps!

Let's hope this is a short one

MUsoxfan
05-31-2006, 09:58 PM
Two words: Absolutely sickening:puking:

RadioheadRocks
05-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Well that sucked out loud!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

MrRoboto83
Depressing, and now I have to cheer for the Yankees, depressing

southsideirish71
Lets see in Jakes last start, the Tigers rocked him for 7 runs over 5 innings. Before that He did shut out the vaunted KC Royals, but that was to avenge the start before that when they rocked him for 8 large over 5.

Yet he owns us.

Tomorrow they need to scratch a few runs for Jose so he can get the win.

Chips
One runner on third all game long. No runs, too many left on base.

Get 'em tommorrow, Jose.

SOecks
Tough game to watch tonight. Lets beat them tomorrow and get the split.

eurotrash35
05-31-2006, 10:00 PM
bonk

not as frustrating as last night though. we didn't have a chance tonight.

MUsoxfan
Tough game to watch tonight. Lets beat them tomorrow and get the split.

Tall order

cbotnyse
Our bats are just dead.....11 more LOB....not good at all:puking:

robiwho
05-31-2006, 10:01 PM
Well that sucked.

Viva Medias B's
We've just got to regain our killer instinct. It's been missing the last two days.

Kogs35
got to score those first inning runs

0o0o0
05-31-2006, 10:02 PM
That, that was just not good. Didn't seem like a whole lot of effort got put forth.
Seems like that's been the case the past week or so. I know, I know, they just won 11-0 the other day, but they don't seem to have much life in them right now. Just kinda boring to watch.

oeo
05-31-2006, 10:02 PM
I haven't said this in awhile, because they usually aren't like this, but they played like they didn't care today. Get on their asses Ozzie, this game was terrible...Westbrook was NOT that good. And it was nice knowing you Politte, thanks for your efforts last year, have a good one.

Corlose 15
05-31-2006, 10:03 PM
This team is playing like crap right now. They can't get a hit w/ RISP to save their lives. Enough of this garbage, lets get back to the White Sox baseball we all know and love.

itsnotrequired
05-31-2006, 10:04 PM
My plan to drink the team to victory has failed. Whatever, I'm finishing my beer.

Get 'em tomorrow, boys.

oeo
05-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Tall order
They better get their asses out there and play tomorrow. Jose has been ripped off two victories in a row, and it better not be three. This guy has been spectacular, give him some run support for once.

RadioheadRocks
05-31-2006, 10:05 PM
I haven't said this in awhile, because they usually aren't like this, but they played like they didn't care today. Get on their asses Ozzie, this game was terrible...Westbrook was NOT that good.

... but Ozzie was just ON their asses after those ridiculous games in Toronto!!!

oeo
05-31-2006, 10:06 PM
... but Ozzie was just ON their asses after those ridiculous games in Toronto!!!

I know, and that's what is weird. They came out the next two games and played with some heart again. And now they're right back to where they were in Toronto.

MUsoxfan
05-31-2006, 10:06 PM
They better get their asses out there and play tomorrow. Jose has been ripped off two victories in a row, and it better not be three. This guy has been spectacular, give him some run support for once.

I predict a 1-0 Cleveland victory tomorrow. A RHP with a 5.50era just shut us out. It's really a bad time for the Sox

lakeviewsoxfan
05-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Just a overall bad perforamance on all accounts besides Freddy. Didnt we pick up Mackowiak to be a back up for Crede occasionally play OF. Jose needs to play stopper and pick up his first W since coming off the DL. I wish OG would pick a line up and stick with it, it seemed to work pretty good in the playoffs.

KnightSox
05-31-2006, 10:10 PM
We've just got to regain our killer instinct. It's been missing the last two days.It seems longer than that.

PeteWard
05-31-2006, 10:12 PM
I predict a 1-0 Cleveland victory tomorrow. A RHP with a 5.50era just shut us out. It's really a bad time for the Sox

Back to back shutouts of the Sox by Cleveland:rolleyes: I'd take that bet in a heartbeat.

Droso5
05-31-2006, 10:14 PM
"Holy 'Jerry Manual' Batman!!! Is that the evil Corpseball?? I thought we had him locked up in Arkum!!!"

"Well Robin, lets get our asses in gear and dance the Battusi all over his ugly face!!!"

My lord that was just ugly. AJ with a solid performance but shut out as a team. We just got dominated by a division rival in a game, nigh a series that we should have won. So many missed opportunites, stranded runners, and of course Cliff "Oh for the love of god no" Pollite. Just ugly. Lets hope the big guys can actually score some runs when Jose C. inevitably throws another gem tommorow.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2006, 10:16 PM
Not a good night, not a good effort, not a good three weeks.

At least May is now over and done...maybe a better showing in June.

April 17-7
May 16-12

10-10 since May 10th, Haegar's start.

Lip

Chips
05-31-2006, 10:17 PM
It seems that the dark clouds are in full effect tonight.

FarWestChicago
05-31-2006, 10:18 PM
It seems that the dark clouds are in full effect tonight.They live for games like this. Very odd people.

ilsox7
05-31-2006, 10:25 PM

April 17-7
May 16-12

Lip

Just to put things in perspective, 16-12 is the equivalent of a 93 win year.

They are not clicking on all cylinders, but it's nice to be 14 games over. I get the feeling that this team, unlike last year's team, will do most of its damages in August and September.

veeter
05-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Record: April 17-7, May 16-12 = 33-19. Not too shabby for a team that IMO has played at a 6.5 level out of 10. No doubt a crappy game tonight, but I have a feeling they're going to get hot. The road record troubles me a bit, though. Freddy pitched better than his line.

Hitmen77
05-31-2006, 10:26 PM
I was more bothered by last night's loss. 4-3 loss, blew 3 run lead, defensive lapses, 0 for the last 8 with RISP. It's games like that we should win, but we give away.

Tonight - we just plain got beat. It happens to ever team. It feels like more of the "everyone loses 60 games" game to me. If the team had done their job yesterday we'd still be looking at the possibility of taking 3 of 4 tomorrow.

DrCrawdad
05-31-2006, 10:28 PM
They live for games like this. Very odd people.

Games like tonights, and well actually 4 of the last 6, make me ill and ill-mannered. Seriously.

God, I hope we at least get a chance to discuss a Cubs loss instead of picking thru the feces laid by the Sox tonight.

:)

Just teasing you FWC! Don't push the button on me...

Hitmen77
05-31-2006, 10:29 PM

They are not clicking on all cylinders, but it's nice to be 14 games over. I get the feeling that this team, unlike last year's team, will do most of its damages in August and September.

Yep, I hope May is indeed our "worst month". That would bode very well for the Sox.

Also, every team goes in a slump - and if ours is to have a bad stretch where we are 10-10, then we'll be alright when, as you say, we start clicking on all cyclinders.

santo=dorf
05-31-2006, 10:32 PM

Lip
How convient of a time frame. :rolleyes:

Or are you just pointing out the 10-10 since 10? :cool:

Cuck the Fubs
05-31-2006, 10:32 PM

April 17-7
May 16-12

Lip

This just goes to show ya if you keep digging long enough you CAN in fact turn up something negative!

All teams slump....this is not a bad ballclub. Again, last I checked it's going to be June 1, not October 1.....relax.

Grzegorz
05-31-2006, 10:34 PM

They are not clicking on all cylinders, but it's nice to be 14 games over.

Maybe this is "clicking on all cylinders".

ilsox7
05-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Maybe this is "clicking on all cylinders".

If you think this team is clicking on all cylinders then you are the ultimate Dark Cloud.

Jjav829
05-31-2006, 10:39 PM
You know who would solve all our problems on offense?

Phil Nevin.

:duck:

Jerko
05-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Guys, the Sox actually gained 2 games so far this week. There are FOUR months left! I think the boys can make up 3/8ths of a game each month or whatever it is. Yes it would have been nice to win more while Detroit is losing but I'm not too worried.

mccoydp
05-31-2006, 10:41 PM
I know, and that's what is weird. They came out the next two games and played with some heart again. And now they're right back to where they were in Toronto.

It seems as if they need a butt-chewing every two games or so.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Couple of points.

The May 10th date was the date that Jose' missed his first start. For whatever reason that seemed to disrupt things and they have been trying to get back into a groove ever since then.

Regarding 93 wins...I guess whether we feel that is a good season or not partially depends on if 93 wins will be good enough to get the Sox to October.

Notice I said partially.

I'll take 93 wins every year and take my chances but right now in a stacked American League, 93 wins may not be good enough to either win the Central or take the wild card.

We'll have to wait and see.

History shows that since the three division format was adopted, four teams have won, I think, either 93 or 94 games in a season and missed the playoffs. All were in the American League.

I would be somewhat disappointed given the importance of this season to the future and stability of the franchise, as well as trying to take back the city, if they were not to make back to back post season appearances for the first time in franchise history.

Lip

MarySwiss
05-31-2006, 10:43 PM
My TBGR:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3154

And I think I was kind. For example, I deleted the part where I said the only thing offensive about the Sox was....well, you get the idea.

HOWever, I am sure they will be back soon. Be of good cheer!

Grzegorz
05-31-2006, 10:43 PM
It's been two months; that timeframe gives a pretty good perspective of what this team is capable of doing.

This kind of season gives them 90 wins. Not too bad of a season.

Sad to say but I see more mental than physical errors being committed.

DickAllen72
05-31-2006, 10:44 PM
Pitching is the name of the game, and the last two games the Sox have been outpitched.

The games we've been giving away due to errors and lack of execution (not tonight) are coming back to bite us. But hey, no worries, we're the best team in baseball. As KW pointed out on WSCR today, the minute you start thinking that way, this game will humble you.

The Sox have a better team this year than last year on paper, but they still have to play the games on the field.

I can't wait until the Sox go on a tear---they're definitely due. Until then, GO YANKEES!

Bobbo35
05-31-2006, 10:46 PM
The Sox just looked dead at the plate. They have to split the series tommorow. Man is it painful to watch loses.

MUsoxfan
05-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Pitching is the name of the game, and the last two games the Sox have been outpitched.

Sorry, Jake Westbrook doesn't outpitch anyone. 7 hits and 0 runs. The Sox got outhit plain and simple. Cleveland has some ability to hit with runners in scoring position

itsnotrequired
05-31-2006, 10:47 PM
I'd much rather have mental errors than physical ones. Mental errors can be corrected, physical ones cannot.

http://www.bartcity.de/images/promo/8f13.gif

"You are all very good players. You will give 110%"

DickAllen72
05-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Sorry, Jake Westbrook doesn't outpitch anyone. 7 hits and 0 runs. The Sox got outhit plain and simple. Cleveland has some ability to hit with runners in scoring position

He gave up five runs less than Freddy.

MarySwiss
05-31-2006, 10:54 PM
It's been two months; that timeframe gives a pretty good perspective of what this team is capable of doing.

This kind of season gives them 90 wins. Not too bad of a season.

Er, no. I don't recall exact stats, but I am pretty sure that if you mapped out the Sox's 2005 season based on what they did in April and May, they would have run away and hid from everyone.

Another great thinker on this site (maybe Lip?) said he or she would rather see the Sox duke it out throughout the season than open up a huge lead and watch it deteriorate. I agree. This team is kickass. If you don't think so, I'm sorry.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2006, 10:55 PM
Last year I think Westbrook was 0-4 versus the Sox but his ERA was ungodly I think it was in the low 2's. I believe he was the victim of both of those 1-0 losses the Sox put on Cleveland.

This guy always seems to give the Sox very little if anything.

Lip

MUsoxfan
05-31-2006, 10:56 PM
He gave up five runs less than Freddy.

Right, because the Indians can hit when they need to hit. Westbrook threw a fair share of cookies today and none of them where hit. Westbrook was FAR from unhittable

santo=dorf
05-31-2006, 10:59 PM
Last year I think Westbrook was 0-4 versus the Sox but his ERA was ungodly I think it was in the low 2's. I believe he was the victim of both of those 1-0 losses the Sox put on Cleveland.

This guy always seems to give the Sox very little if anything.

Lip
That was Millwood. Last year Westbrook was 0-4 against the Sox but he had an ERA of 5.13

Westbrook has been very effective at home this year.
Millwood was 0-2 with a 1.32 ERA against the Sox last year.

lbtigerfan
05-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Right, because the Indians can hit when they need to hit. Westbrook threw a fair share of cookies today and none of them where hit. Westbrook was FAR from unhittable

clear inbox

Lip Man 1
05-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Dorf:

Thanks!

Lip

SouthSide_HitMen
05-31-2006, 11:10 PM
They live for games like this. Very odd people.

:farmer

This place is electric!

thomas35forever
05-31-2006, 11:11 PM
Our offense just isn't coming through to bail Freddy out. Once again, we beat ourselves tonight.

Chips
05-31-2006, 11:23 PM
Our offense just isn't coming through to bail Freddy out. Once again, we beat ourselves tonight.

They outplayed us in every aspect of the game tonight.

spiffie
05-31-2006, 11:29 PM
Some days even the best teams in the history of baseball take a loss. Today was one of those days. Just keep repeating "We are the best team in baseball, we will be playing in October as long as we keep running this team out there." Everything will be just fine, and in a few months when we're parading again we'll wonder why nights like this got us so worked up.

If there's anything good to take from this it is that even though Cliff gave up the one run-scoring hit he was able to get out of the 8th with no runs scored that inning. Sometimes something small like that can get a guy back on track and turned around.

Seriously, can't we be optimists? We've had the best 14 or so months ever as Sox fans, and I for one have faith that the folks assembled to run this team and to wear this uniform will be able to deliver us another magical October.

tehwhitesoxrulz
06-01-2006, 12:16 AM
I just hope we can give Jose some runs cause i wont him to remain unbeaten.:(:

oeo
06-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Some days even the best teams in the history of baseball take a loss. Today was one of those days. Just keep repeating "We are the best team in baseball, we will be playing in October as long as we keep running this team out there." Everything will be just fine, and in a few months when we're parading again we'll wonder why nights like this got us so worked up.

If there's anything good to take from this it is that even though Cliff gave up the one run-scoring hit he was able to get out of the 8th with no runs scored that inning. Sometimes something small like that can get a guy back on track and turned around.

Seriously, can't we be optimists? We've had the best 14 or so months ever as Sox fans, and I for one have faith that the folks assembled to run this team and to wear this uniform will be able to deliver us another magical October.

I know this team will be fine, they're too good not to. But that's still not enough to not make me angry. If they get beat, that's alright...when they play like **** and beat themselves because they can't get a few lousy hits, that's what gets me worked up. Watching them play like that when I know they can play MUCH better, just gets to me.

RowanDye
06-01-2006, 12:43 AM
First shutout of the year...didn't think it would come against Westbrook.

At least Detroit lost again...almost got shutout again if not for Error-Rod.

Hopefully we'll get the split with JC on the mound tomorrow.

I'm not reading much into it, but I thought I'd at least ask if any of you heard anything like this about Contreras? (per Buster Olney's blog)

"..by the way, there is some curiosity about Contreras in baseball circles these days; some talent evaluators are wondering why his velocity was down markedly in his last start, and they're curious to see how hard he throws this time around."

I can provide a link but that's all there is about it and it requires Insider subscription.

nasox
06-01-2006, 12:46 AM

I'm not reading much into it, but I thought I'd at least ask if any of you heard anything like this about Contreras? (per Buster Olney's blog)

"..by the way, there is some curiosity about Contreras in baseball circles these days; some talent evaluators are wondering why his velocity was down markedly in his last start, and they're curious to see how hard he throws this time around."

I can provide a link but that's all there is about it and it requires Insider subscription.

Maybe some of the scouts here can elaborate on that. It is Buster Olney, so I take it with a grain of salt. Personally, I think Jose will be fine if he gets some run support.

If we get a split, I'll be happy. That's all you can ask for in a four game series (obviously you want more, but, oh well)

ShoelessJoeS
06-01-2006, 01:31 AM
Personally, I think Jose will be fine if he gets some run support.

****, I think Jose can remain undefeated the entire year if he can only get run support with the way he's been pitching since August of 2005.

JB98
06-01-2006, 02:25 AM

Contreras stated his velocity was down in Toronto because the injury prevented him from going through his normal routine in between starts. That shouldn't be the case tomorrow. Jose reported that his velocity was back during his side session on Monday. I'm expecting good things tomorrow.

Frankfan4life
06-01-2006, 02:30 AM
It's time for that eight-game winning streak!

Mr. White Sox
06-01-2006, 03:48 AM
We've just got to regain our killer instinct. It's been missing the last two days.

"Killer Instinct?" Nah, more like fundamental baseball. Oh and runs. Runs are good. :smile:

BadBobbyJenks
06-01-2006, 04:08 AM

Cheers to that, Im getting sick of the We are terrible, this team just doesnt have it bs after every rough loss...This is the best team in baseball, and I dont take many losses well either, but some of this stuff is getting ridiculous. We have the 2nd best record in baseball, no one can challenge that we have the best starting 5 in baseball and our lineup can hang with anyone...things will be ok, this is no time to be headed out on the leadge....

Contreras rights the ship tomorrow

out

Grzegorz
06-01-2006, 06:19 AM
I'd much rather have mental errors than physical ones. Mental errors can be corrected, physical ones cannot.

Physical errors at this level are limited; we're talking about real athletes. So, physical errors are far less probable of happening. Mental errors do linger but you are correct, these types of errors can be corrected through repetition and game simulations.

I believe this is the White Sox's division to lose; but they have to play smart and execute. I've not seen this type of consistency in the baseball they've played in the first two months.

They'll get the help in the pen, and I believe the starting pitching will get better (no it's not bad now), and Anderson will hit.

Dark cloud? no...

Objectivity? yes...

wassagstdu
06-01-2006, 07:56 AM
I think this team will play its best baseball in the second half, and especially if they fall a little further behind before then. I can imagine that they see a long season ahead, with no sense of urgency since they broke on top, and the contrast with the pressure of the end of last season -- when they tightened it down and performed as well as a team can -- leaves them a bit loose. They know, and we know, what they are capable of, and that it is a long season. I can't wait for August and September, when their depth, the way Ozzie has paced them, and their experience will kick in and they will take care of business.

SOXPHILE
06-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Ugly ugly ugly. I actually think Freddy didn't pitch too bad. Not all that great, but he wasn't getting lit up either. It doesn't help when your offense scores a grand total of 0 runs. In fact, the Sox have not scored for 15 straight innings now. 3 total runs in the last 18. Time to get off the snide tonight. Guys on 3rd base, less than 2 outs ? Gotta bring 'em in ! By the way, I hate Ronnie Belliard.