PDA

View Full Version : AL All-Star Starters Thus Far...


Jose.Contreras
05-31-2006, 03:42 PM
I MEANT TO POST THIS IN THE TALKING BASEBALL BOARD.....whoops.

This is ridiculous. I hate hate hate HATE fan voting for all-star games.

1B- David Ortiz (Boston)
2B- Robinson Cano (New York)
3B- Alex Rodriguez (New York)
SS- Derek Jeter (New York)
C - Jason Varitek (Boston)
OF- Manny Ramierez (Boston)
OF- Johnny Damon (New York)
OF- Vlad Guererro (LOS ANGELES....Wow!)

:angry: I mean it really sucks because A-Rod, Jeter, Manny, and Ortiz are all legitimate choices. BUT Robinson Cano and Johnny Damon being starters is sickening. Varitek shouldn't be the starter either. Of course none of this comes as a surprise, but I think it's a friggin' joke that seven out of eight position players starting in the AL will be from just 2 of the 14 teams in the league. I won't even mention the fact that the defending World Series Champs, the White Sox, have no one being voted in thus far. Again, this is not surprising at all. But it reiterates the fact that fan voting is just disgusting.

Discuss.

ilsox7
05-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Actually, I hope the entire line-up is Yankees or Red Sox. Maybe that will lead to some pressure from other teams to force Unclue Bud into getting rid of the fan vote. I mean, if he insists on an exhibition game having an impact on the World Series, he may want to consider taking it seriously.

MadetoOrta
05-31-2006, 03:44 PM
I'd rather keep winning the World Series. Besides Ozzie'll take care of the guys.

cbotnyse
05-31-2006, 03:45 PM
this topic was just brought up in the clubhouse http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72368

It really annoys me (not your post, but that lineup) :angry:

Jerko
05-31-2006, 03:47 PM
If I were Ozzie I'd yank em all after one inning.

chisoxfan64
05-31-2006, 03:51 PM
If I were Ozzie I'd yank em all after one inning.

Right after the first pitch.:D:

Mr.1Dog
05-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Didn't Ozzie claim that he wanted the White Sox to play against the National League Allstars. I might be mistaken. However, it would be interesting to see the defending World Series champs play the opposing leagues' All Star team. Might be an interesting idea.

Trav
05-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Actually, I hope the entire line-up is Yankees or Red Sox. Maybe that will lead to some pressure from other teams to force Unclue Bud into getting rid of the fan vote. I mean, if he insists on an exhibition game having an impact on the World Series, he may want to consider taking it seriously.

Ya, and while you are at it get him to do something serius about steroids. Oh and interleague play and the disparity among payrolls...

ilsox7
05-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Ya, and while you are at it get him to do something serius about steroids. Oh and interleague play and the disparity among payrolls...

Hence my hope that it would take at least pressure from a lot of other people to get him to wake up. It's unlikely, I know, but if 15 owners call bitching to him, he may actually have to take their call.

SoxFan78
05-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Hopefully CC Sabathia and Johan Santana are on the team. That way Ozzie can have them pitch for 4+ innings each so they are all tired out!

RKMeibalane
05-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Hopefully CC Sabathia and Johan Santana are on the team. That way Ozzie can have them pitch for 4+ innings each so they are all tired out!

What will really interesting is if The Other Guy is selected as a Tigers representative. What will Ozzie do then?

Juice16
05-31-2006, 09:24 PM
I MEANT TO POST THIS IN THE TALKING BASEBALL BOARD.....whoops.

This is ridiculous. I hate hate hate HATE fan voting for all-star games.

1B- David Ortiz (Boston)
2B- Robinson Cano (New York)
3B- Alex Rodriguez (New York)
SS- Derek Jeter (New York)
C - Jason Varitek (Boston)
OF- Manny Ramierez (Boston)
OF- Johnny Damon (New York)
OF- Vlad Guererro (LOS ANGELES....Wow!)

:angry: I mean it really sucks because A-Rod, Jeter, Manny, and Ortiz are all legitimate choices. BUT Robinson Cano and Johnny Damon being starters is sickening. Varitek shouldn't be the starter either. Of course none of this comes as a surprise, but I think it's a friggin' joke that seven out of eight position players starting in the AL will be from just 2 of the 14 teams in the league. I won't even mention the fact that the defending World Series Champs, the White Sox, have no one being voted in thus far. Again, this is not surprising at all. But it reiterates the fact that fan voting is just disgusting.

Discuss.

I second your hatred for fan voting. What are people thinking?

SOecks
05-31-2006, 09:45 PM
I second your hatred for fan voting. What are people thinking?

Lemmings don't think, they follow. And according to the voting so far, they're following what the great ESPN has fed them forever.

Trav
05-31-2006, 10:55 PM
Hence my hope that it would take at least pressure from a lot of other people to get him to wake up. It's unlikely, I know, but if 15 owners call bitching to him, he may actually have to take their call.

The owners love him. Selig has made so much money for each and every MLB team it is silly. Really silly when you think that just a couple years ago some teams were crying red. Yeah, right :rolleyes:

I don't think there is one owner who doesn't like Selig. Maybe King George in NY.

Rob190
06-01-2006, 11:47 AM
I blame espn for this one. What do you expect when the only 2 teams that gets extended coverage are the redsox, and yankees.

Sad
06-01-2006, 01:21 PM
unbelievable... :mad:
look at the stats people

sheesh.

RSN33
06-01-2006, 01:38 PM
I blame espn for this one. What do you expect when the only 2 teams that gets extended coverage are the redsox, and yankees.

What a lame comment, considering anyone who chooses to make the effort can look up stats/standings to see who is doing most to benefit their teams. Also, given that most of the voting is done AT either a baseball venue OR online, information (internet especially) on EVERY team is at your disposal.

I hate fan balloting as well and think that someone like Vernon Wells deserves to be extremely pissed off for not starting in CF. Nobody in the AL is close having a better year in CF than he is. Alex Rios is getting a ton of write-in votes as well, which is good to see considering the casual baseball fan probably doesn't even know who he is.

If you want to have fan balloting, make it could for 25% of the total vote or something, with coaches/players/writers/execs counting for the other 75% - even umpires could vote. I'd also like to see a DH play regardless of the park - if the game counts for something you don't need to play it with the automatic out coming at #9, although it does force both managers to actually *manage* the game (double switches, etc) and more players DO get in the game.

One thing is for sure, 100% fan balloting makes as much sense as the guy who would NOT trade Joe Crede for Alex Rodriguez straight-up!! :cool:

Trav
06-01-2006, 01:51 PM
What a lame comment, considering anyone who chooses to make the effort can look up stats/standings to see who is doing most to benefit their teams. Also, given that most of the voting is done AT either a baseball venue OR online, information (internet especially) on EVERY team is at your disposal.

I hate fan balloting as well and think that someone like Vernon Wells deserves to be extremely pissed off for not starting in CF. Nobody in the AL is close having a better year in CF than he is. Alex Rios is getting a ton of write-in votes as well, which is good to see considering the casual baseball fan probably doesn't even know who he is.

If you want to have fan balloting, make it could for 25% of the total vote or something, with coaches/players/writers/execs counting for the other 75% - even umpires could vote. I'd also like to see a DH play regardless of the park - if the game counts for something you don't need to play it with the automatic out coming at #9, although it does force both managers to actually *manage* the game (double switches, etc) and more players DO get in the game.

One thing is for sure, 100% fan balloting makes as much sense as the guy who would NOT trade Joe Crede for Alex Rodriguez straight-up!! :cool:

I'm almost 100% sure that the Silver Slugger awards are voted on by either players and/or coaches. Ask Victor Martinez how that works out.