PDA

View Full Version : One-Run Games

infohawk
05-31-2006, 01:27 PM
At the end of last season, KW knew he had to make some changes because it was unlikely to expect the Sox to win as many one-run games. He was right. The Sox are currently 7-7 in one-run games, but are still playing 15 games over .500. Great job Kenny!!!:D:

batmanZoSo
05-31-2006, 01:44 PM
At the end of last season, KW knew he had to make some changes because it was unlikely to expect the Sox to win as many one-run games. He was right. The Sox are currently 7-7 in one-run games, but are still playing 15 games over .500. Great job Kenny!!!:D:

We had a great record in one-run games in 2004, then managed to improve upon that in 2005, a feat without much precedent.

We have much more power now, so the occurance of one-run games is probably going to be lower. Last year I think we had 54 of them and only 14 so far this year.

samram
05-31-2006, 02:04 PM
We had a great record in one-run games in 2004, then managed to improve upon that in 2005, a feat without much precedent.

We have much more power now, so the occurance of one-run games is probably going to be lower. Last year I think we had 54 of them and only 14 so far this year.

Yeah, they were 35-19 in one run games last year. Counting on having that happen again would have been foolish, so KW did something about it. Now we have a team that hasn't come close to playing its best yet and they're 15 games over .500.

kevingrt
05-31-2006, 02:29 PM
I still would like to be over .500 in one-run games. Some of these stupid games like last nite we should have won, but did stupid fundamental errors that annoy the hell out of me and a lot of fans, but annoy the hell out of Ozzie and the players too.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2006, 02:44 PM
I believe the Sox are 8-8 in one run games this season.

Lip

oeo
05-31-2006, 05:09 PM

I think that will improve as the bullpen and starting pitching start coming together. And we don't have a lot of one-run games to win anymore, this team can put up more runs than the 2005 team.

miker
05-31-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm firmly of the belief that knowing how to win close games is good for the team. So although the record's the same as last year, I'm not catching the same vibe I had with last year's team.

Here's hoping they start improving!

caulfield12
05-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Proportionally, thatīs 12 less games per year (if we kept at the same pace, last year, 33%, or 54, of the games were decided by just one)....meaning weīd end up with 42 total one run games, largely attributable to the reinvigorated offense.

Yeah, we can point at the missed double play against the Cubs....lack of clutch hitting Saturday afternoon...Iguchiīs failure to get over Ozuna (somehow you just had a sense they would need those 4 runs), Konerkoīs missed tag and then finally the 9th inning. You get the sense this team really SHOULD be 20 games over....then again, Garland and Politte have really struggled, and we havenīt gotten anything from the bottom of the order on a consistent basis. And Cleveland pretty much HAD to win last night.

Donīt know why OG didnīt give Pods a couple of pitches to run on, when V. Martinez has only thrown out 6 of 43 (14%) of basestealers against him. You could see that he was pissed when Pods got thrown out at 2nd.

caulfield12
05-31-2006, 05:29 PM
35-17 last year after 52 games...

Well, besides the presence of the Tigers, there´s not too much to be worried about....and the Tigers still have to play the Red Sox, White Sox and Blue Jays. Right now, they´re 0-2 (in their four team stretch of destiny), having played under 15 games against teams with winning records when they met. They have won a ton of road games, and the Sox record within the division isn´t nearly as good as last season´s.

Basically, the main concerns have to be Politte, Anderson, maybe Uribe and the long-term health and stability of Pods, Thome and Dye.

I think JG will definitely have a better final four months than his first two months.

Thornton is also really coming around, and looks like the Bobby Jenks deal of this season for us so far.

woodsdavid
05-31-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm firmly of the belief that knowing how to win close games is good for the team. So although the record's the same as last year, I'm not catching the same vibe I had with last year's team.

Here's hoping they start improving!

definitely a different vibe than last year. especially offensively.
it feels like were waiting for pauly, valentin, lee and ordonez -- i mean pauly, thome, and dye to HR to generate our runs.
and after that turd against toronto, i thought we'd be moving runners better.
it's deja vu all over again.

caulfield12
05-31-2006, 05:42 PM
The only difference is those teams were all or nothing, had no fifth starter and hovered around the .500 mark. They also didnīt have the consistent production of a LH bat in Thome. There havenīt been many games this season we were just blown out....our fundamentals have been weak, our starting pitching has given up some huge innings (Vazquez and Garland especially are susceptible) but weīre not that far off.

This team STILL has the second best record in baseball. Would you rather trade to be in the Indiansī position and try to repeat last August and September, only this time, with two teams in front?

Does NY, Boston or Toronto really scare you?

Big difference....and while our pitching is behind Detroit statistically, we know what they (ths starters) can do when they all get on a combined roll of dominance.

Not to mention the fact that Detroit batters are leading MLB in striking out. Weīll see where things stand 10 days from now.

Fuller_Schettman
05-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Obviously, this team is in some kind of sustained funk. Ever since Contreras went down, we have been a .500 team (10-9)

Having said that, if we win tonight, we will be 17-11 in May compared with 18-10 last season. But I think that everyone's expectation is that we would exceed last season's 99 wins. And if we keep pace for now and make it up in August, we'll be good to go...

Lip Man 1
05-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Caulfield:

To me it's not a question of the Yankees or Red Sox scaring anyone. What's troubling is how difficult it has been for this team to win on the road so far this season, a complete reversal from 2005.

Perhaps that doesn't mean much in late May....but come September when the Sox only have 11 home games it could be an issue and then certainly come October.

Lip

caulfield12
06-01-2006, 03:59 PM
We've also lost the same number of games to Cleveland we lost all last season, right?

After watching the Tigers much of this week against the Yankees, I still think they're going to struggle to get to 90 wins.

Zumaya and Rodney can be scary, but Todd Jones, not so much. I think losing that second game of the series, after coming back from a huge deficit, really took some wind out of their sails.

However, I find myself confident ONLY when Buehrle, Contreras or Vazquez (assuming he doesn't give up 4-5 runs in one inning) are pitching. Losing that second Cleveland game hurt us (especially the fundamental and mental mistakes), almost as much as it did the Tiggers. Our starting pitching needs to pick it up a gear...I think OG is waiting for one of those stretches like the post-season when the starters go 8-2 or 9-1 and pitching 2-3 complete games and just mow down the competition.