PDA

View Full Version : Royals fire GM

getonbckthr
05-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Great organization give him no money, make him trade off any potential young talent then expect results. Why anyone would consider taking this job is nuts.

ChiSoxRowand
05-31-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm suprised they didn't wait until after the draft.

TDog
05-31-2006, 03:13 PM
His employment has been in limbo for almost a month. Everyone knew he was out and were waiting for the announcement to make it official. It was a lousy way for a lousy organization to treat a loyal employee who never complained about contract deals being nixed because they were a few hundred thousand dollars over or the trades that were vetoed.

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2006, 03:24 PM
The Royals opened up this year with a payroll of over 47 million. Who's fault is it that the misfits that are assembled are not the responsibility of the GM.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2004/12/kansas-city-royals_28.html

MadetoOrta
05-31-2006, 03:28 PM
Isn't the Royals' owner flush with cash? They have the $ to compete don't they? What's the story here?

bigfoot
05-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Baird should have had a payroll of the Blue Peril, then the Royals could have had twice as many victories. Oh, wait.......!

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-31-2006, 03:33 PM
"I can lead you to water, but I can't make you drink"

getonbckthr
05-31-2006, 03:34 PM
The Royals opened up this year with a payroll of over 47 million. Who's fault is it that the misfits that are assembled are not the responsibility of the GM.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2004/12/kansas-city-royals_28.html
Out of the 47 million 11 goes to Mike Sweeney. That means the other 36 million is split amongst 24 players. So thats an average of 1.5 per remaining player. Its a joke. At least the Marlins have a young crop of players that will and should eventually become a roster of good players. The Royals have a mix of journeymen vets and youngsters who are up in the air. Most times I would assume its the GM's fault but in this case I blame ownership.

Mickster
05-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Out of the 47 million 11 goes to Mike Sweeney.

Baird signed Sweeny to that deal.

Jjav829
05-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Out of the 47 million 11 goes to Mike Sweeney. That means the other 36 million is split amongst 24 players. So thats an average of 1.5 per remaining player. Its a joke. At least the Marlins have a young crop of players that will and should eventually become a roster of good players. The Royals have a mix of journeymen vets and youngsters who are up in the air. Most times I would assume its the GM's fault but in this case I blame management.

The Royals are a complete mess. You could look through their entire organization and have a hard time finding more than 5 players that you would care to have in your organization. Alex Gordon, Billy Butler, Justin Huber, Andy Sisco and maybe Chris Lubanski. There's 5, 4 of which are prospects and one of which still hasn't proven anything at the ML level. After that, maybe Teahan or John Buck is still worth a shot. What a mess.

getonbckthr
05-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Baird signed Sweeny to that deal.
I'm not saying that was a bad deal he is the face of the franchise he should be the highest paid player.

Banix12
05-31-2006, 03:47 PM
I think we have seen that GM, Managment changes can have drastic improvements on the quality of play if they hire the right people. I just look at what the new ownership has done in Milwaukee by hiring Doug Melvin and Ned Yost. When they started putting together that team they didn't have much more revenue than the Royals have and now they are a young powerhouse lineup that will likely finish above .500 this year and shows promise in years to come. And they didn't do it really with free agents, they did it through the draft, rebuilding the farm system, and savvy trades.

The right Owner and a smart GM can turn a team around and it doesn't have to cost a fortune on player salaries

getonbckthr
05-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Isn't the Royals' owner flush with cash? They have the $ to compete don't they? What's the story here?
I might be wrong but he bought them a slim 90 million. What I am assuming is he sees everything as profit. As long the amount of money he makes each season covers payroll he enjoys whatever profit he makes whether its 5 million or 500 million.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2006, 03:51 PM
Things just keep getting worse for the Royals. They're already behind 2-0 in Oakland, courtesy of a familiar-looking right-handed hitter.

TomParrish79
05-31-2006, 03:57 PM
well on paper they looked like they might be decent this year. But they have no pitching and Sweeney cant stay healthy...so nothing the GM could do but pack his stuff and leave.

spiffie
05-31-2006, 04:03 PM
The Royals are a complete mess. You could look through their entire organization and have a hard time finding more than 5 players that you would care to have in your organization. Alex Gordon, Billy Butler, Justin Huber, Andy Sisco and maybe Chris Lubanski. There's 5, 4 of which are prospects and one of which still hasn't proven anything at the ML level. After that, maybe Teahan or John Buck is still worth a shot. What a mess.
There's a couple more guys who have some potential. I like Burgos and think with the right pitching coach (Coop?!) that he could turn out solid. If Greinke can ever get his head right he could turn out to be quite a solid MLB pitcher. If healthy Mike McDougal isn't a bad bullpen arm.

bennyw41
05-31-2006, 04:25 PM
I think the draw to this Job would be to take a struggling team and be the face behind the resurgance. Billy Beane, Kenny Williams, John Schuerholtz, dare I say Jim Hendry, all took bad teams and are now household names.

chisoxfan64
05-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Great organization give him no money, make him trade off any potential young talent then expect results. Why anyone would consider taking this job is nuts.

That is exactly how David Glass ran Wal-Mart and treated his managers there.

kraut83
05-31-2006, 04:48 PM
This is pretty much the equivalent of re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

It's a shame to see where this organization was in the 80's when I was growing up & getting hooked on baseball, fall to where it is now. The Glass family is almost as bad as the Wirtz family.

ilsox7
05-31-2006, 04:49 PM
I think the draw to this Job would be to take a struggling team and be the face behind the resurgance. Billy Beane, Kenny Williams, John Schuerholtz, dare I say Jim Hendry, all took bad teams and are now household names.

KW took over a division winning team.

Ol' No. 2
05-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Out of the 47 million 11 goes to Mike Sweeney. That means the other 36 million is split amongst 24 players. So thats an average of 1.5 per remaining player. Its a joke. At least the Marlins have a young crop of players that will and should eventually become a roster of good players. The Royals have a mix of journeymen vets and youngsters who are up in the air. Most times I would assume its the GM's fault but in this case I blame ownership.You can blame the owners for not spending, but IMO, you'd have to really work at it to spend $47M and assemble a team this bad. They're far worse than teams spending much less money. They are beyond horrible.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2006, 10:30 PM
The N.Y. Times reported the Royals got roughly 65 million dollars last season from revenue sharing and their cut of MLB's broadcasting / marketing money.

I recently did an interview with someone who lives in the Kansas City area and had the surprising pleasure of hearing some comments from George Brett who called while I was talking with my subject.

The impression is (and I don't know if this is in fact what happened) that before this guy took the job he had to have it in writing that the Glass family would stay out of his business when running the club.

Lip

JB98
06-01-2006, 02:44 AM
You can blame the owners for not spending, but IMO, you'd have to really work at it to spend $47M and assemble a team this bad. They're far worse than teams spending much less money. They are beyond horrible.

I agree. Baird has done a horrible job. Ownership in Kansas City forced him to trade talented players like Damon, Dye and Beltran. But what did he get in return for those guys? Answer: Not a single impact player. Baird traded JD for Neifi Perez if I'm not mistaken. Just brutal.

MUsoxfan
06-01-2006, 02:58 AM
I agree. Baird has done a horrible job. Ownership in Kansas City forced him to trade talented players like Damon, Dye and Beltran. But what did he get in return for those guys? Answer: Not a single impact player. Baird traded JD for Neifi Perez if I'm not mistaken. Just brutal.

Beltran for John Buck

Uncle_Patrick
06-01-2006, 10:40 AM
The new GM has been announced.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2464544

Norberto7
06-01-2006, 02:34 PM
You can blame the owners for not spending, but IMO, you'd have to really work at it to spend $47M and assemble a team this bad. They're far worse than teams spending much less money. They are beyond horrible.

This is the same team Hawk was trying to convince everyone was "much improved" during those first two series with the Royals. How that made me ill....

johnnyg83
06-01-2006, 03:16 PM
The Royals have a long way up b.c the division seems to be getting stronger save Minnesota.

Allard Baird, from all stories I've heard, was a nice guy. But he didn't really do any aspect of his job very well.
Trades: Beltran for Teahan, Buck and Wood
Mark Ellis and Damon for Berroa, A.J. hinch, Roberto hernandez
Dye for ??

Free Agents: Brian Anderson, Juan Gonzalez, Scott Elarton, Joe Mays, Chris Truby

Pony up just a few more bucks to keep: Jeff Suppan, Paul Byrd,

Draft or Develop young talent: Berroa, Febles, Mark Quinn, Jose Rosado, Dan Reichert, Blake Stein, Jimmy Gobble, Colt Griffin, Zach Grenke, Miquel Ascencio, Runelvys Hernandez, Jeremy Affeldt.

AZChiSoxFan
06-01-2006, 04:17 PM
That is exactly how David Glass ran Wal-Mart and treated his managers there.

Totally false. I don't want to send this thread to the Roadhouse, so I'll leave it at that.

tebman
06-01-2006, 04:59 PM
The N.Y. Times reported the Royals got roughly 65 million dollars last season from revenue sharing and their cut of MLB's broadcasting / marketing money.

I recently did an interview with someone who lives in the Kansas City area and had the surprising pleasure of hearing some comments from George Brett who called while I was talking with my subject.

The impression is (and I don't know if this is in fact what happened) that before this guy took the job he had to have it in writing that the Glass family would stay out of his business when running the club.

Lip
I've thought for the last 10 years that Royals fans deserved better than what they've gotten. I miss the rivalry the Royals had with the Sox in the late '70s and early '80s. I know that was 20+ years ago, but it's a franchise with a history and there have been a few generations of knowledgable fans there who've grown up with that team.

Just a damn shame. I hope the new GM can add some spark to that place.

Banix12
06-01-2006, 06:49 PM
The Royals have a long way up b.c the division seems to be getting stronger save Minnesota.

Allard Baird, from all stories I've heard, was a nice guy. But he didn't really do any aspect of his job very well.
Trades: Beltran for Teahan, Buck and Wood
Mark Ellis and Damon for Berroa, A.J. hinch, Roberto hernandez
Dye for ??

Free Agents: Brian Anderson, Juan Gonzalez, Scott Elarton, Joe Mays, Chris Truby

Pony up just a few more bucks to keep: Jeff Suppan, Paul Byrd,

Draft or Develop young talent: Berroa, Febles, Mark Quinn, Jose Rosado, Dan Reichert, Blake Stein, Jimmy Gobble, Colt Griffin, Zach Grenke, Miquel Ascencio, Runelvys Hernandez, Jeremy Affeldt.

JB98 mentioned it earlier. Jermaine Dye was traded for Neifi Perez.

That trade on its own warrants a firing.

MUsoxfan
06-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Great Onion article (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/49108)

Royals Hire Tom Emanski To Teach Them Fundamentals Of Baseball

June 1, 2006 | Onion Sports (http://www.theonion.com/content/sports)

KANSAS CITYŚWith their offense floundering, their pitching the league's worst, and their footwork on double-play balls atrocious, the Royals (12-37) announced Sunday that former youth-baseball coach and instructional-videotape producer Tom Emanski would join the team in a specially created fundamentals-coaching role, designed to help the Royals get back to basics and start playing winning baseball the Tom Emanski way.

santo=dorf
06-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Why would they give him anymore money after the horrendous 2004 season?
He gave a ton of money to Berrora after his rookie year, signed Balco Santiago, Juan Gonzalez, Scott Sullivan, and essentially got nothing for Beltran.

Foulke You
06-02-2006, 01:26 AM
The new GM does have some chips to play with at the trade deadline. There are many viable veteran commodities on that Royals roster that could net some prospects. Grudzielanek, Graffannino, Mientkiewicz, Reggie Sanders, and Scott Elarton will all likely be playing elsewhere by the deadline.

Banix12
06-02-2006, 02:19 AM
The new GM does have some chips to play with at the trade deadline. There are many viable veteran commodities on that Royals roster that could net some prospects. Grudzielanek, Graffannino, Mientkiewicz, Reggie Sanders, and Scott Elarton will all likely be playing elsewhere by the deadline.
Other than Grudz or Graffanino, I don't see many hitters getting traded away from KC. Sanders' 2 year contract and poor play this season probably keeps him there. I think poor play keeps the most of the roster in KC.

The pitching staff is horrendous right now, I don't think a contending team should touch a single one of them with a ten foot pole this year. Elarton is the best starter on the team right now and he is walking just as many men as he strikes out and is on pace to give up 47 HRs. Dessens, Peralta and Gobble are having ok seasons out of the pen but nothing to get excited about.

Maybe some also ran team would look into some of the pitchers like Hernandez or Affeldt as projects but I don't see them getting much in return

woodsdavid
06-02-2006, 11:21 AM
i just like saying JIMMY GOBBLE

JIMMY GOBBLE

there, i just said it again

SoxFan76
06-02-2006, 11:46 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5649326?GT1=8297

Recently posted by woodsdavid a few topics down.

Says what went wrong with the Royals these past 6 years or so.

SoxSpeed22
06-02-2006, 02:05 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5649326?GT1=8297

Recently posted by woodsdavid a few topics down.

Says what went wrong with the Royals these past 6 years or so.That was a pretty good article. Considering that the Royals didn't get anything useful for those trades, those first round picks were awful compared to the talent that came out of those drafts and because their team is based way too much on potential than results. It's gonna be a while in KC.