PDA

View Full Version : Calling White Sox Army

sodfatherjunior
05-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet, so I thought I'd start it up. AL All Star Leading Vote getters just came out. If the All Star Game were to be played today it would have a Yankee or a Red Sox starting at every position with the exception of Vlad Guerrero in the outfield. This also includes Big Poppi starting at 1B............what a load of crap. Time for all of us to start stuffing the ballots, if you haven't started already yet. Get Pauly starting at first base especially.

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-31-2006, 01:10 PM
agreed. I saw that on the MLB headlines today, and am extremley pissed off about it. Good thing is, the Count will probably start the all-star game, if he keeps up his pace, which im sure he will.

spiffie
05-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet, so I thought I'd start it up. AL All Star Leading Vote getters just came out. If the All Star Game were to be played today it would have a Yankee or a Red Sox starting at every position with the exception of Vlad Guerrero in the outfield. This also includes Big Poppi starting at 1B............what a load of crap. Time for all of us to start stuffing the ballots, if you haven't started already yet. Get Pauly starting at first base especially.
Let our guys have the time off to rest up, while ESPN gets to love the Yanksox more than they already do. Our guys get ready to play in the World Series, the games that really count, not this trumped-up exhibition.

Chip Z'nuff
05-31-2006, 01:11 PM
I thought the Red Sox and Yankees were the only teams in the AL

Lip Man 1
05-31-2006, 01:11 PM
The All-Popularity Contest doesn't interest me. Ozzie will take care of things to make sure the Sox have fair representation.

Lip

MarySwiss
05-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Nice to see I'm not alone in not giving a rat's ass about this. Actually, if there were no Sox chosen to start, that would only serve to underline what a farcical beauty contest this thing is.

spiffie
05-31-2006, 01:18 PM
Nice to see I'm not alone in not giving a rat's ass about this. Actually, if there were no Sox chosen to start, that would only serve to underline what a farcical beauty contest this thing is.
To be fair, there's no position where I would say a Sox player is the best in the AL. Konerko and Crede are both decent cases, but not over Ortiz and A-Rod. I guess maybe Dye and AJ could make a case this year...but it's definitely not an open and shut one.

HotelWhiteSox
05-31-2006, 01:28 PM
All I request is that Thome DOES NOT participate in the HR derby

CHIsoxNation
05-31-2006, 01:41 PM
According to today's White Sox Game Notes, this is how some of our guys are stacking up:

- 7 SOX players in the top 10 of their respective positions
- Konerko, Iguchi and Crede are each ranked 3rd at their position
- Uribe and AJ are ranked 5th at their position
- Pods is 8th and Dye is 10th

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-31-2006, 01:43 PM

Methinks him, Herb and Ozzie are all too smart for that.

Run down the hill and catch one, or walk down and catch them all? Walk down.

StockdaleForVeep
05-31-2006, 02:11 PM

Hafner tops konerko in stats other than Hr's and Thome is not a 1b. Why should konerko go?

Who cares who represents us at the all star game? It will mean more of us?

Chisox003
05-31-2006, 02:13 PM
Popularity contest, sham, joke etc. etc.

*yawn*

Keep our guys healthy and ready to go down the stretch. We don't need this garb.

ShoelessJoeS
05-31-2006, 02:13 PM
agreed. I saw that on the MLB headlines today, and am extremley pissed off about it. Good thing is, the Count will probably start the all-star game, if he keeps up his pace, which im sure he will.Hopefully he can get some damn run support in his starts. Also, it doesn't help when the bullpen blows games for him. I think Contreras has at least 3 ND this year...that's not acceptable when his ERA is under 2.

MarySwiss
05-31-2006, 02:19 PM
To be fair, there's no position where I would say a Sox player is the best in the AL. Konerko and Crede are both decent cases, but not over Ortiz and A-Rod. I guess maybe Dye and AJ could make a case this year...but it's definitely not an open and shut one.

Okay, but since when has being the best at your position been a guarantee of anything when it comes to the All-Star game? I don't care enough about this whole topic to research and come up with stats, but we all know there have been plenty of occasions where people made the All-Star team who didn't deserve it--or who weren't even healthy that season.

sodfatherjunior
05-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Hafner tops konerko in stats other than Hr's and Thome is not a 1b. Why should konerko go?

Who cares who represents us at the all star game? It will mean more of us?

Thome is not a 1b but neither is Ortiz, I can't remember the last time that man played 1b. Same goes for Hafner, he's been their DH pretty much all year.

kevingrt
05-31-2006, 02:28 PM
It seems like we get called on a mission every week to do something. I will pass on this though as the players would be better off resting. But you know Ozzie is going to get a fair amount of Sox players in it especially since I bet many of the have incentive clauses for making the All Star Game.

spiffie
05-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Okay, but since when has being the best at your position been a guarantee of anything when it comes to the All-Star game? I don't care enough about this whole topic to research and come up with stats, but we all know there have been plenty of occasions where people made the All-Star team who didn't deserve it--or who weren't even healthy that season.
Oh, I agree with you on that point. I'm just saying that even under more objective measures we still might not have anyone as a starter. Which I think is the strength of this team. We don't need superstars, we have hard-working grinders who are too busy playing their asses off to pose after HR's and watch their stat lines.

daveeym
05-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Heck I'd say vote for all yankmees and bossox. The media will have a field day with it ripping on MLB, Bud and everyone else. It might bring a change that will better the system.

nebraskasox
05-31-2006, 02:48 PM
I'd like to see the Sox players rest too. Plus it would serve MLB right if all the AL starting positions went to the Yanks/BoSox. That would underscore what this thing is all about - media and popularity - and they would still probably be better than the NL team (Cards/Astros/Mets) and secure the home field for the AL in the series, assuming they're still doing that.

Mr. White Sox
05-31-2006, 03:25 PM
It's one day and the Sox players are playing maybe two innings maximum. Not to mention, most of them probably like it!

I'll vote, not that it will do much good, and the only guys really deserving of going this year (based on stats comparative to others in the league) are AJ, Dye, Contreras, Buehrle, Iguchi (I usually don't care about these things extensively, but WHY IS ROBINSON CANO AHEAD OF IGUCHI?! ***?), and maybe Jenks.

And if Ortiz and Giambi are actually on the ballot, Thome needs to go ahead of them.

I want Mags back
05-31-2006, 03:28 PM

ORTIZ IS A ****ING DESIGNATED HITTER, NOT A 1ST BASEMAN. THAT'S WHAT I'M SO FED UP ABOUT

ChiSoxLifer
05-31-2006, 03:29 PM
It's one day and the Sox players are playing maybe two innings maximum. Not to mention, most of them probably like it!

I'll vote, not that it will do much good, and the only guys really deserving of going this year (based on stats comparative to others in the league) are AJ, Dye, Contreras, Buehrle, Iguchi (I usually don't care about these things extensively, but WHY IS ROBINSON CANO AHEAD OF IGUCHI?! ***?), and maybe Jenks.

Not to mention they probably have bonus clauses for making the team. Although I doubt they need the extra cash. Personally, I'd rather our players rest but I'm sure most Sox fans and new Sox (kids) fans would like to see the team well-represented. I know when I was growing up I'd be excited when several of my favorite players were chosen.

spiffie
05-31-2006, 03:32 PM
ORTIZ IS A ****ING DESIGNATED HITTER, NOT A 1ST BASEMAN. THAT'S WHAT I'M SO FED UP ABOUTI know this. However, the doofuses-in-charge at MLB decided to list him as a 1B (obviously because they knew otherwise they would lose out on their beloved "Big Papi" being part of the game), and by the standards they chose to set up Ortiz is a slightly better choice. It's their stupid game, I'm just talking about it.

cbotnyse
05-31-2006, 03:33 PM
I am kind of surprised so many people dont give a "rats ass" about the All Star game, and they'd rather have Sox players rest.....rest?? they will play maybe 3 innings and I'm sure they enjoy it, not to mention get a monetary bonus (I'm not certain, do they?)

I would be very annoyed to see all Yankee and RedSox players out there.....and I'd love to see the Sox well represented.

plus, dont forget the game does mean something for home field advantage in the WS, which I fully expect to be back to. :cool:

Mr. White Sox
05-31-2006, 03:39 PM
I know this. However, the doofuses-in-charge at MLB decided to list him as a 1B (obviously because they knew otherwise they would lose out on their beloved "Big Papi" being part of the game), and by the standards they chose to set up Ortiz is a slightly better choice. It's their stupid game, I'm just talking about it.

Ortiz (DH/1B): .267, 14 HR, 47 RBI
Hafner (DH/1B): .307, 14 HR, 44 RBI
Giambi (DH/1B): .259, 13 HR, 39 RBI
Thome (DH/1B): .295, 20 HR, 49 RBI
Konerko (ACTUALLY PLAYS 1B): .297, 15 HR, 41 RBI

Are you kidding me?

cbotnyse
05-31-2006, 03:40 PM

Are you kidding me?

great use of teal!

HotelWhiteSox
05-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Iguchi is close enough that he could/should get it.

Swisher and Thome getting hosed because you have to write them in. Mauer and Crawford getting hosed because of no recognition

ilsox7
05-31-2006, 04:05 PM
I am kind of surprised so many people dont give a "rats ass" about the All Star game, and they'd rather have Sox players rest.....rest?? they will play maybe 3 innings and I'm sure they enjoy it, not to mention get a monetary bonus (I'm not certain, do they?)

The All-Star game involves a lot more than the game. It is the travel to and from the game, all of the media and festivities the day before the game, and the game night itself. Many players would rather take the 3 days off to get rid of some aches and pains.

TheDarkGundam
05-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Wow, I haven't even voted yet!
Little things like getting your players in the ASG seem less important after you win the world series.
I'm sure Ozzie will put on any Sox that deserve to be there but don't make it through the voting.

SCarolina_Ron
05-31-2006, 04:44 PM
The only thing the All Star game means to me is potential home field advantage in the World Series (For the Sox of course).

thomas35forever
05-31-2006, 06:11 PM
This is disgusting. What has Robinson Cano done this year? I haven't heard of him doing much. It's probably because ESPN and the rest of the national media love to hype these two teams and they want to see the two teams duking it out for the all-star ballot.

Why not just let a combo of Yankees and Red Sox players take on the rest of the MLB? Apparently, that's what everybody wants.

A. Cavatica
05-31-2006, 07:57 PM
It's early, but this is beyond ridiculous.

Konerko is the best 1B in the league this year. Ortiz doesn't play 1B any more, and he isn't even the best DH in the league this year; but the best DH, Thome, is not on the ballot because of Konerko.

Iguchi is the best 2B in the league this year.

Crede is the second-best 3B after Rodriguez, and certainly better than Mike Lowell.

Leading vote-getter Derek Jeter isn't as good a shortstop as Tejada, or for that matter A-Rod. #4 vote-getting shortstop Gonzalez is even worse than .210-hitting Juan Uribe; I don't think he'd even beat out Cintron for our backup role!

A. J. is arguably the best C in the league this year, assuredly better than Posada and Martinez.

The Sox don't have any outfield candidates but I'd take Dye ahead of every Yankee/Red Sox outfielder but Manny. And is it just me, or is Guerrero severely overrated as well?

This is pure fantasy, but wouldn't it be great if Ozzie refused to manage the game unless he could veto one or two of the fan selections?

Murphy10
05-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Aj and Crede best be playing in this all star game. But at least there are no cubs leading in votes for the nl!

spiffie
05-31-2006, 10:40 PM

Are you kidding me?

For some reason I remembered Ortiz as having better numbers than he currently does. Thought I read somewhere that his OPS was around 1.000, which it isn't. Yeah, Paulie is having a better year than Ortiz. I still hope he doesn't go since it's all still a giant sham, but if we were truly in a meritocracy PK deserves to go.

PKalltheway
05-31-2006, 10:40 PM
We definitely need to start voting for Konerko in FULL FORCE. With how things could shape up in the AL, this could end up like the 1957 All-Star game in which every Cincinnati regular was voted onto the NL squad. More info here on what ended up happening: http://baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1957as.shtml

GregoryEtc
06-01-2006, 12:19 AM
My guess is that no Sox will be voted in at their respective position. Fine. No biggie.

Between Ozzie and the player vote, I'm guessing 2-3 Sox will be named to the team, AJ (likely Ozzie's choice), Crede, Contreras and Garcia will be in the running.

Jim Thome will most likely slip to the online 30th man vote and should win easilly if he does, even though he's a DH. His numbers and, more importantly, his likability factor will get him voted on.

Konerko will miss out but something tells me he won't really mind... He's done it before and he'd probably like other guys on the team to get the chance. But I don't think ANY of the rest of those guys would pass up an opportunity to play in Pittsburgh.

And with Ozzie managing the team, you think any of them are going to play very long? Ozzie will probably play all the yankees, red sox, tigers and indians the entire game with Sabathia pitching 7 innings!!!! :tongue:

But we're the defending champs for crying out loud!!!! We HAVE to be well represented at the only All Star game that anyone cares about! Not to mention that we need our guys there to win world series home field advantage just like last year.

hi im skot
06-01-2006, 12:29 AM
But at least there are no cubs leading in votes for the nl!
:tealpolice:

:DJ
"Uh-Oh!"

Scottiehaswheels
06-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Thought you all might like this....

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20060531&content_id=1482396&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

I respect Bauman's work... Wish we could get reporting like this in our local media......

StockdaleForVeep
06-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Aj and Crede best be playing in this all star game. But at least there are no cubs leading in votes for the nl!

And what if they had 1? What would it mean, that despite a craptacuar record which has guarenteed already to make them miss the playoffs they're a better team than the sox?

Thome25
06-01-2006, 08:52 AM
I think that this game does matter. I mean, GOD WILLING we do want this team to get to the WORLD SERIES right?!

Well, this game decides HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE in the series (which we had last year.) and that might make a HUGE difference if and when we do get back there.

Look at our record as home this season and then our record on the road. I'm thinkin I want home field advantage and I want THE WHITE SOX players to help decide if they get it or not. And I know Ozzie can pick some of our guys but pinch hitting or subbing in and out of the game won't have as big an impact on the game itself as STARTING.

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2006, 09:15 AM

I agree. However, I think that because of his natural uppercut and the violent nature of his swing, Thome might be the one player on the Sox whose swing would not be altered by participating in the home run derby. Still, I'd rather see him get some rest, other than a pinch-hitting appearance in the game itself.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Just curious...is Thome 25, Hangar in disguise?

I mean it's SOMETHING about THE capitalization and BOLDING that offers some similarities.

:D:

Lip

thomas35forever
06-02-2006, 04:23 PM
This is pure fantasy, but wouldn't it be great if Ozzie refused to manage the game unless he could veto one or two of the fan selections?
Thus creating the biggest all-star game controversy in four years.