PDA

View Full Version : Good Crede Article in NWI Times

oeo
05-31-2006, 09:49 AM
"To be honest with you, Joe and Scottie are very comparable, and that's a compliment to both," said Sox designated hitter Jim Thome, a one-time third baseman who played against Rolen for two seasons in the National League.

"I've watched Scott Rolen play and he's superb. This guy here is definitely right there. Joe's really playing the position very well."

Good article (on the front page, with a large photo) about Crede and his glove(s).

Link (http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/05/31/sports/pro_sports/6d1e4baef7da184c8625717e0069fa05.txt)

cbotnyse
05-31-2006, 09:54 AM
Good article (on the front page, with a large photo) about Crede and his glove(s).

Link (http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/05/31/sports/pro_sports/6d1e4baef7da184c8625717e0069fa05.txt)

Its nice to see some people notice.....defense wins championships.....Crede is my favorite player......Here's to the Gold Glove :gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
05-31-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the link!

This demonstrates why we should trust the Sox brass to stick with young position players who they deem to be rising stars, who play great defense right away but who may need more time to figure out how to hit MLB pitching at a high level. Remember how many people pooped their pants, desperately wanting to dump Crede in 2003, 2004 and even throughout 2005? Where would the Sox be if they had dumped Crede in favor of Joe Randa?

If the Sox want to retain their core of starting pitching and stay within a reasonable budget, they will need to groom many of their own position players. Atlanta has proven the wisdom of this approach, and it seems the Sox plan to follow it as well. Patience paid off with Crede, and I have confidence it will pay off with Anderson as well.

EDIT for George Knue: I humbly suggest that the Chicago Tribune write and publish more feature stories about Sox players like this one!

daveeym
05-31-2006, 10:15 AM
Another great article. :gulp:

JohnBasedowYoda
05-31-2006, 10:19 AM
Nice find oeo! Good to read about a man and his leather.

Vernam
05-31-2006, 12:00 PM
This demonstrates why we should trust the Sox brass to stick with young position players who they deem to be rising stars, who play great defense right away but who may need more time to figure out how to hit MLB pitching at a high level. Anyone you have in mind, FP?
:anderson:

All at once it struck me: BA looks just like Kevin Bell! I like his chances a whole lot better, though.

Vernam

SouthSide_HitMen
05-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the link. Joe Crede has been my favorite White Sox player since he came up. I know he is Hawk's favorite player. I hope he and Boras can work something out with the team and he can remain a Chicago White Sox until he is ready to retire.

Added bonus - Patbooyah and Co. can cue up some Chris Berman jokes:

"I went through 10 different models," Crede said. "Always Rawlings, they have the best leather. The leather is something that's very big to me. I get leather that's not oiled yet. I like it really hard leather, so when it's not oiled, the leather is a little harder when it's not saturated.

PatK
05-31-2006, 04:18 PM
That Crede article almost makes up for the weekly pile of vomit spewed forth by Dan McNeil.

Mercy!
05-31-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the link. I love those "tools of the trade" sorts of articles. I wonder why more writers (and editors) don't pursue those subjects.

The writer's description of Crede's "lovingly tended gloves" made me think of that time last year when at least two men reached base because balls stuck in the webbing of his glove. Even his biggest booster in the booth was suggesting he tighten up the laces.

It's a great time to be a Sox fan!

Frater Perdurabo
05-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Anyone you have in mind, FP?
:anderson:
:redface: :whistle:

LongLiveFisk
05-31-2006, 06:07 PM
This demonstrates why we should trust the Sox brass to stick with young position players who they deem to be rising stars, who play great defense right away but who may need more time to figure out how to hit MLB pitching at a high level.

Yep..I remember all the "Trade Crede" threads and posts saying he should be benched. I see the same thing happening to Anderson now. Not to say he's 100% guaranteed to be great but you can't find out if you take them out of the lineup too soon (Note: I say this knowing that "too soon" is up for debate!) :D:

At any rate, a great article about Joe. :cool:

jongarlandlover
05-31-2006, 06:33 PM
nice article. thanx for posting it!