PDA

View Full Version : Suspensions

DrCrawdad
05-31-2006, 08:00 AM
Cubs catcher Michael Barrett and White Sox outfielder Brian Anderson could begin serving their suspensions stemming from a May 20 brawl at U.S. Cellular Field by the end of next week.

The date for their appeals will be set today, with hearings expected by mid-to-late next week, according to Bob Lenaghan, assistant general counsel for the players association. Players will begin serving their suspensions once a ruling is handed down by arbitrator John McHale Jr., an executive vice president of administration for Major League Baseball. - Sun-Times, May 31, 2006 (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-fite31.html)

The "end of next week?" Thursday is June 8. From the Sox perspective, hopefully the "end of next week" is Thursday and then Barrett's suspension gets reduced. IF it were to start on Thursday, with a seven game suspension Barrett would be eligible for all three games against Detroit.

Cubs schedule (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/chc/schedule?v=cal&m=06&y=2006)
Detroit, June 16-18
Cleveland, June 19-21

So, as KW predicted the suspensions will probably give Detroit a break in that Detroit (and potentially Cleveland too) will face a Cub team minus the Cubs best hitter.

cbotnyse
05-31-2006, 08:11 AM
thats bad news...I would like to see the Cubs at full strength against the Tigers.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-31-2006, 09:07 AM
thats bad news...I would like to see the Cubs at full strength against the Tigers.

Does that mean Santo, Williams and Banks are suiting up?

patbooyah
05-31-2006, 09:34 AM

what does it say about a team when a man with no legs could be considered one of their best hitters?

Chip Z'nuff
05-31-2006, 09:53 AM
what does it say about a team when a man with no legs could be considered one of their best hitters?

Making fun of cancer survivors? That's low, (but not shocking).

patbooyah
05-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Making fun of cancer survivors? That's low, (but not shocking).
diabetes, first off. and secondly just making a joke about the fact that redhead said santo was one of the cubs' best hitters.

i made no derogatory comment about his lack of legs, simply stated the fact that he doesn't have them.

white sox bill
05-31-2006, 10:43 AM

Hanger banned? God, what did Henry do now?

AuroraSoxFan
05-31-2006, 11:08 AM
C'mon man, no need to bring up Santo's health condition. Oh well. It happens. I'm with you all though. Much as I hate Barrett and think he's a whiny little crybaby I wanna see him in there vs the kitties. After that they can suspend him until 2008 for all I care.

spiffie
05-31-2006, 11:16 AM
:whocares

It's a series between a fifth place team and a team that is showing itself (and thankfully proving me a poor prognosticator) to be an average team in elite team clothing. It's like getting excited or worrying about a series between the Marlins and the Blue Jays or something.

Banix12
05-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Well it is entirely possible that Lee will be back in their lineup by the Tigers series. However I don't think it would make a difference what shape the cubs are in at that point. Even if the cubs were at full strength the Tigers should honestly mop the floor with the cubs. They are just a much better team. They pitch better, field better, and hit better. Cubs would be lucky to win one game against the Kitties at full strength.

Don't bother hoping the cubs will beat up on the Tigers. If they do, bonus. However all the sox can do is win games and keep an eye on their own business.

The only team I am comepletely interested in seeing lose over those days in June are the Reds and the Cardinals. Some interleague sox sweeps, that would be nice.

peeonwrigley
05-31-2006, 12:15 PM
The baseball appeals process is a joke. If the player appeals his agent should have one business day between the release of the suspension and a conference call for the appeal. The ruling should come the next day. Anderson and Barrett should be done with or close to done with their suspensions by now.

For that matter, its silly how long it takes to release punishments.

Example: Fight takes place on a Saturday.
- Suspensions should be announced Tuesday morning
- Player should immediately announce his appeal, since why wouldn't you?
- Thursday morning the appeal is heard via conference call.
- Either Friday or Saturday the verdict of appeal is announced, effective immediately.

How hard is that? This is not like dealing with a complex legal issue here.

I can see a different process for the drug testing stuff, I suppose, but for something as cut and dry as what happened with the Cubs/Sox... get the suspensions over with so we can move on for ****'s sake.

Tekijawa
05-31-2006, 01:01 PM
Cubs + Barrett got swept by the Marlins... How will his status effect the out come of the series against the team with the best record in baseball?

I don't think the Cubs + Victor Martinez could take a game from the Tigers...

Tekijawa
05-31-2006, 01:03 PM
The baseball appeals process is a joke. If the player appeals his agent should have one business day between the release of the suspension and a conference call for the appeal. The ruling should come the next day. Anderson and Barrett should be done with or close to done with their suspensions by now.

For that matter, its silly how long it takes to release punishments.

Example: Fight takes place on a Saturday.
- Suspensions should be announced Tuesday morning
- Player should immediately announce his appeal, since why wouldn't you?
- Thursday morning the appeal is heard via conference call.
- Either Friday or Saturday the verdict of appeal is announced, effective immediately.

How hard is that? This is not like dealing with a complex legal issue here.

I can see a different process for the drug testing stuff, I suppose, but for something as cut and dry as what happened with the Cubs/Sox... get the suspensions over with so we can move on for ****'s sake.

I don't know if they could get quick turn around like that but there needs to be some type of deterrant to appealing, like an increase in time if the appeal is not over turned...

tebman
05-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Don't bother hoping the cubs will beat up on the Tigers. If they do, bonus. However all the sox can do is win games and keep an eye on their own business.

Amen! The Cubs are just a bad team this year and only luck will allow them to beat the Tigers. The Sox need to look straight ahead and keep winning consistently -- if they do, the rest will take care of itself.

hawkjt
05-31-2006, 01:30 PM
yea, this is inherently unfair. Perfect world would be Barrett would miss

the sox series- should be suspended against the team the transgression occurred in the first place.

and then the other seven against division teams like the cards and stros to maximize the pain.

Worst case is that he plays the next day and hits a big triple to beat us, then miss the cleveland and detroit series and then be back to beat the sox at wrigley.

And of course that is what will happen-cept the beating us at wrigley part.

Scottiehaswheels
05-31-2006, 02:21 PM
I was just hoping Barrett would be in the Tigers series so he can beat the crap outta someone on their team and cause a few suspensions for the Tigs..

Mr. White Sox
05-31-2006, 03:16 PM

Nope!
Tinker, Evers and Chance are giving it a go!

Layla
05-31-2006, 05:28 PM
I can't resist:

When the suspensions were first announced, I went over to northside baseball to see what their fans were saying.

One guy actually asked if Barrett could serve one day a week (usually on his off day).:rolleyes:

DickAllen72
05-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Barrett should not receive any reduction of his suspension. Even ten games is getting off easy for his unprovoked physical assault. Any reduction in his penalty would be a travesty of justice.

As for the Tigers, we'll take care of them ourselves. I'll root for the Yankees, or anyone else against them, but I don't want any help from the stinkin' Cubs. I hope the Cubs never win another game. Ever.

DrCrawdad
05-31-2006, 10:21 PM
Barrett should not receive any reduction of his suspension. Even ten games is getting off easy for his unprovoked physical assault. Any reduction in his penalty would be a travesty of justice.

As for the Tigers, we'll take care of them ourselves. I'll root for the Yankees, or anyone else against them, but I don't want any help from the stinkin' Cubs. I hope the Cubs never win another game. Ever.

Those are good points. You're right too on it being unprovoked but to me it was also possibly premeditated by Barrett given his comments before the game.

DickAllen72
05-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Those are good points. You're right too on it being unprovoked but to me it was also possibly premeditated by Barrett given his comments before the game.

I agree. Barrett should have received a twenty game suspension.

TDog
06-01-2006, 02:34 PM
I agree. Barrett should have received a twenty game suspension.

Maybe he will after the next series with the Sox.

peeonwrigley
06-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Is there a timetable on the appeals for either of the suspended players? This is laughable, the fight was well over 2 weeks ago now.

samram
06-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Is there a timetable on the appeals for either of the suspended players? This is laughable, the fight was well over 2 weeks ago now.

Yeah, I don't get it. Hell, at this pace, why don't they just say that the next 10 times Barrett gets a day off is the serving of the suspension?

MarySwiss
06-06-2006, 05:04 PM
I can't resist:

When the suspensions were first announced, I went over to northside baseball to see what their fans were saying.

One guy actually asked if Barrett could serve one day a week (usually on his off day).:rolleyes:

Now why doesn't this surprise me? :tongue: