PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Burly gets screwed by the Sox's D Game Thread vs. Jndjans 5/30/06

cheeses_h_rice
05-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Just think, if Jermaine keeps that a single or if Widger and PK actually pick off that runner, it's a different game.

:(:

chisoxmike
05-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Got to make the plays. Errors kill.

8 left on base.

Kogs35
yucky yucky yucky thats all i got to say. pick it up tomorow boys.

JB98
Just think, if Jermaine keeps that a single or if Widger and PK actually pick off that runner, it's a different game.

I'm more aggravated by the scoring opportunities we missed. We had six innings to make up for those miscues and couldn't get the job done.

The Wimperoo
05-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Nice ab in the 9th there Cintron. :rolleyes:

FloridaSox
The defense seems to have fallen off from last year...Sox are currently 10th in fielding pct in AL. Not a good sign.

ShoelessJoeS
****ty ****in' game all around minus Pablo and JD

Buehrle seems to lose his composure when his defense can't make plays behind him as seen in the 3rd inning.

On a good note....Thorton is becoming a dominant force in the 'pen

chisoxmike

Don't forget Iguchi's AB.

samram
What the hell was the thought process with Cintron up in the ninth? There's no way good baseball dictates you swing at the first pitch in that situation after a walk with the league's leading base stealer on first with a guy who can't throw behind the plate.

And yes, the Sox defense has cost them lately. And, that was PK's fault on the pickoff, not Widger's.

Cuck the Fubs
05-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Ozzie looked :angry: that Cintron swung at the 1st pitch with Pods on.....

What the hell was he thinking?!?!?!?!?:mad:

JUribe1989

That was Konerko's fault not Widger's. Jermaine made a terrible play, but he has saved so many runs while on this team that we can't be upset with him for this. Buehrle exploded, the loss is not on the defense. It's like that Cubs game where we couldn't sweep them. Cotts let it get to him that game and pitched terribly after that and so did Buehrle. He just can't pitch to Hafner, Peralta, and Martinez. Other than that inning, he pitched pretty good.

eurotrash35
or if tad can do his job and get a freaking sac bunt down paulie's flyout turns into a sac fly.

kittle42

Eh, those plays aren't killers. The Sox again couldn't deliver in a few clutch spots. Captain Cheeseburger's dominance over the Sox, and Buehrle in particular, continues.

Something that could be lost in this game, because it did not play a part in the end result - Cliff Politte continues to suck up the joint.

JUribe1989
05-30-2006, 08:58 PM
We couldn't buy a hit with RISP after the third inning anyways.

itsnotrequired
05-30-2006, 08:58 PM
8 left on base.

8 LOB with only 7 hits. Unacceptable.

itsnotrequired
05-30-2006, 09:00 PM
****ty ****in' game all around minus Pablo and JD

Buehrle seems to lose his composure when his defense can't make plays behind him as seen in the 3rd inning.

On a good note....Thorton is becoming a dominant force in the 'pen

Agreed on all points accept JD. Yes, he got that solo shot but then struck out three times, once with a man on second. That error didn't help his cause either.

JB98
8 LOB with only 7 hits. Unacceptable.

Bingo, but don't worry. Kyle Farnsworth is on to protect the Yankees 6-5 lead in Detroit.

patbooyah
That was Konerko's fault not Widger's.

it was both of their fault. if widger had made a decent throw konerko wouldn't have been facing away from the bag.

Chips
05-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Hang on a star on that one.

ShoelessJoeS
05-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Agreed on all points accept JD. Yes, he got that solo shot but then struck out three times, once with a man on second. That error didn't help his cause either.Good point, simply trapping the ball would've been the smarter play.

itsnotrequired
it was both of their fault. if widger had made a decent throw konerko wouldn't have been facing away from the bag.

You couldn't recreate that play if you tried. The running slipping had a lot to do with it as well. Had he gotten a solid lunge back at the bag, he would have slid right into Konerko's sweeping mitt.

oeo

Uhm, they also left a ton of runners on base. That was a terrible game all around.

I'm not sure I liked all that pinch hitting in the 9th. I know the bottom of the lineup has been weak, but Pods was the only one that did anything up there. Brian would have given a better AB than Cintron did, *** was that? And swing the bat Mackowiak.

Sorry, but I HATE losing to the Indians and this game was in the Sox hands, they blew it.

DickAllen72
05-30-2006, 09:03 PM

Even if Dye holds him to a single, the home run drives him in anyway.

Bad at bat by Cinton in the ninth, swinging at the first pitch after a leadoff walk. Should have given Pods a chance to steal second.

But the real story tonight was Sabathia outpitched Buehrle.

Nice game by Thornton, however.

itsnotrequired
05-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Good point, simply trapping the ball would've been the smarter play.

No kidding. It wasn't as if he was going to make a sliding catch anyway. Concede the single and move on...

ShoelessJoeS
05-30-2006, 09:04 PM
it was both of their fault. if widger had made a decent throw konerko wouldn't have been facing away from the bag.Plain and simple, the ball was there and he had plenty of time of make the out. But the lack of making smart baseball plays all together led to the Sox downfall tonight.

And oh yea, Politte really is losing it...his ability to make outs, as well as my confidence in his ability to do so.

samram
05-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Nice game by Thornton, however.

Yeah, he's been impressive. He's replaced Marte nicely.

By the way, Farnsworth seems intent on blowing this lead for the Yankees.

itsnotrequired
05-30-2006, 09:06 PM
By the way, Farnsworth seems intent on blowing this lead for the Yankees.

Bases loaded, no outs.

ShoelessJoeS
Bad at bat by Cinton in the ninth, swinging at the first pitch after a leadoff walk. Should have given Pods a chance to steal second.
No kidding, what the hell was he thinking? Victor cannot throw runners out. Let Pods steal 2nd, and bunt him over to 3rd....:angry: :angry: :angry:

oeo
No kidding. It wasn't as if he was going to make a sliding catch anyway. Concede the single and move on...
Well, I think he thought he could make a play and once he committed himself, he couldn't do anything about it. I'm not blaming this game on that play, it was that anemic offense we saw in Toronto, which I thought was gone after yesterday's performance.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2006, 09:07 PM
The loss tonight hurt for a few reasons.

They had a three run lead on a pitcher with an ERA of under two, the Tigers may or may not lose tonight (as of this writing) and the Sox defense let them down again. It's not the first time this season and (without checking) my impression is that its happened more on the road then at home (I'm still trying to forget that first inning in Minnesota.)

I think this is the 3rd game this year where the defense really, really hurt Buehrle. I remember a game at Seattle, the game at Minnesota and now tonight.

Whether its Mark not being able to handle the errors or something else, the fact is that you can't give major league teams additional opportunities to make you pay.

The defense simply isn't as good as last season. They have basically the same players so I can only assume it's a lack of concentration.

It's a shame they gave it away tonight.

Lip

INSox56
Good thing I didn't expect a win tonight, I'll just say that. Buehrle, wow... But you'd think Cintron would know better there in the 9th. Martinez is among the worst statistically this year at throwing out runners...as we saw with cintron running. horrible horrible horrible. *** is gooch doing with that sac bunt...

JB98
Bases loaded, no outs.

Farnsworth = higher-paid version of Politte

The Farns was the one responsible for the Yankees losing to KC the other night. He's thrown 15 pitches so far tonight, only five for strikes.

Jerko
Man, Cintron may not see the field for another week after that one. Martinez has thrown out what, ONE runner all year? Oh well, we take the next 2.

beckett21
Eh, those plays aren't killers. The Sox again couldn't deliver in a few clutch spots. Captain Cheeseburger's dominance over the Sox, and Buehrle in particular, continues.

Something that could be lost in this game, because it did not play a part in the end result - Cliff Politte continues to suck up the joint.

Thornton was outstanding in relief of Politte. He did a good job getting out of that mess that Cliff left him with.

I'm really sick and tired of Sabathia. It's ridiculous.

sox aka champs
05-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Ugh. Hope we can take the series tomorrow.

thomas35forever
05-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Wanna know something eerie? I was playing this game on MLB 2K6, the Sox were up by 1 in the bottom of the eighth inning with a runner on base and Victor Martinez hit the game-winning homer on the first pitch he saw. Why did this game have to have a similar result??!!:angry:

SluggersAway
05-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Damn, it is tough to stay on top when you get a little taste of success. That is what I think this loss and a few of the others is all about. When you are the World Champions and you go home to that World Series ring on the mantle it takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to not rest on your laurels and go out and kick @$$ day in and day out.

Anyone who has achieved just a modicum of achievement can appreciate that fact. Ozzie has an even tougher time of trying to motivate players now that they have reached that ultimate status where the fans will show up and love them no matter what happens next. After all, it isn't about the money anymore.

beckett21
05-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Ugh. Hope we can take the series tomorrow.

4-gamer. Let's take the next two.

samram
Thornton was outstanding in relief of Politte. He did a good job getting out of that mess that Cliff left him with.

I'm really sick and tired of Sabathia. It's ridiculous.

Yeah, CC has been really good and he just seems to get Buehrle everytime. I'll give Cleveland's pitchers credit though- they left very few pitches up in the zone. Even JD's homer was down. The only other guys to hit the ball hard were Crede and Pablo.

oeo
The loss tonight hurt for a few reasons.

They had a three run lead on a pitcher with an ERA of under two, the Tigers may or may not lose tonight (as of this writing) and the Sox defense let them down again. It's not the first time this season and (without checking) my impression is that its happened more on the road then at home (I'm still trying to forget that first inning in Minnesota.)

I think this is the 3rd game this year where the defense really, really hurt Buehrle. I remember a game at Seattle, the game at Minnesota and now tonight.

Whether its Mark not being able to handle the errors or something else, the fact is that you can't give major league teams additional opportunities to make you pay.

The defense simply isn't as good as last season. They have basically the same players so I can only assume it's a lack of concentration.

It's a shame they gave it away tonight.

Lip

You also can't leave 8 runners on base. Regardless of that play by Dye, they still should have won the game. There were plenty of opportunities to drive in AT LEAST 2 runs, if not more, against a good pitcher.

DickAllen72
05-30-2006, 09:11 PM
And swing the bat Mackowiak.

Wickman couldn't get his curveball over three straight times. Mackowiak was sitting on a fastball which he should in that situation. Wickman threw a fourth consecutive curveball, and finally got it over. It happens.

ShoelessJoeS
Ugh. Hope we can take the series tomorrow.It's a 4-game series and we WILL win the next 2....book it.

Chips
One bad inning from Mark, we left too many men on base. Have to get them tomorrow.

And Homefish, you're as useless as Cliff Politte's pitching.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2006, 09:12 PM
OEO:

If the play is made in the field then maybe they don't need additional runs do they?

Lip

Grzegorz
Man, Cintron may not see the field for another week after that one. Martinez has thrown out what, ONE runner all year? Oh well, we take the next 2.

Exactly, it would have been nice to have Cintron work the count...

Oh well...

HarryChappas
I think Cintron got thr wrong sign. Oz was shaking his head at Cora. Pods would have stolen 2nd and possibly 3rd.

patbooyah
05-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Plain and simple, the ball was there and he had plenty of time of make the out. But the lack of making smart baseball plays all together led to the Sox downfall tonight.

And oh yea, Politte really is losing it...his ability to make outs, as well as my confidence in his ability to do so.

konerko had his back to the play when he got the ball. if widger had thrown it to his glove side he would have never had to turn around. granted paul's tag sucked, but widger set him up.

itsnotrequired
05-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Well, all tied up in Detroit. I can't believe the Tigers only got one run out of that inning.

oeo
05-30-2006, 09:14 PM
OEO:

If the play is made in the field then maybe they don't need additional runs do they?

Lip
No, but the point is, they need to capitalize on the situations presented to them. You keep stressing defense (which is important, and I'm still not happy about Dye's play), but all those runners they keep leaving on base lately is a huge problem as well.

Rob190
Well, that game sucked. Defense let us down and couldn't score when we had runners in scoring position. But at least Thornton is coming on strong and could replace Cliff if he can't figure things out.

Dan Mega
Tough game but it happens.

Tigers and Yanks tied at the end of 8th. Go NY!!!

05-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Wickman couldn't get his curveball over three straight times. Mackowiak was sitting on a fastball which he should in that situation. Wickman threw a fourth consecutive curveball, and finally got it over. It happens.

my problem with this is, that if you see that curveball three straight times on the outside corner, and then one comes by down the middle, you should have seen the pitch enough to recognize the rotation coming off of the ball and maybe at least of put a swing on it

ShoelessJoeS
Whether its Mark not being able to handle the errors...
IMO, this is a cause for concern. As seen in the Min. game, he pitched PHENOMENAL....except when the defense behind him makes mistakes. I don't know if he needs to work on his composure or what...he's just lucky he didn't surrender 3 homers that inning.

samram
I think Cintron got thr wrong sign. Oz was shaking his head at Cora. Pods would have stolen 2nd and possibly 3rd.

I hope so. If not, Cintron didn't display a lot of baseball sense there.

santo=dorf
05-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Well homefish is now in a win-win situation.
NY wins: "our wild card lead!"
Det wins: "their dvisional lead!"

oeo
05-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Det wins: "they're dvisional lead!"

If HomeFish says anything about the Wild Card, I think I'm going to puke. The month of May isn't even over yet, it's way too early to even think about the Wild Card.

robiwho
05-30-2006, 09:18 PM
And Homefish, you're as useless as Cliff Politte's pitching. ****ing Dark Clouds.

That's brilliant coming from you, Sunshine.

Hitmen77
05-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Sox were 0 for 8 with runners in scoring position after they scored their 3 tonight. 0 for 8! Couldn't we manage one lousy hit in 8 tries? A .125 batting average with RISP would have tied it up for us!:angry:

ShoelessJoeS
05-30-2006, 09:19 PM
I think Cintron got thr wrong sign. Oz was shaking his head at Cora. Pods would have stolen 2nd and possibly 3rd.Even if he did, Alex HAS to be thinking....what the ****? Are you sure I should do this? With this catcher who can't throw out a soul? I don't....frustrating game all around.

JB98
05-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Det wins: "their dvisional lead!"

And the Cubs are winning. It's a tremendous night if you are Homefish.

iamkoza
05-30-2006, 09:22 PM

what a joke, i havent been that angry watching a game since barrett punched aj. you swing at the first pitch? instead of waiting for pods to steal on the second one? so you could bunt him over? what a retard, sry, but that was ridiculous

JB98
05-30-2006, 09:24 PM
what a joke, i havent been that angry watching a game since barrett punched aj. you swing at the first pitch? instead of waiting for pods to steal on the second one? so you could bunt him over? what a retard, sry, but that was ridiculous

I would have liked to have seen a hit-and-run in that situation. Wickman is a sinkerballer, usually around the plate. Get the infielders moving and see if Cintron can find a hole. Even if he swings and misses, Pods is probably safe at second.

oeo
05-30-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why he was even pinch hitting. Brian was giving good AB's all day, and he usually does. He may swing at a bad pitch here and there, but he has enough sense not to swing at the first pitch. Not a very good decision by Cintron at all because I'm sure the sole reason he was in there was to lay down a bunt and he didn't even give that a shot.

JB98
05-30-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why he was even pinch hitting. Brian was giving good AB's all day, and he usually does. He may swing at a bad pitch here and there, but he has enough sense not to swing at the first pitch. Not a very good decision by Cintron at all.

I would have pinch-hit Mackowiak for Anderson and let Pablo hit for himself. I like Ozuna in the ninth inning. He makes things happen.

samram
05-30-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why he was even pinch hitting. Brian was giving good AB's all day, and he usually does. He may swing at a bad pitch here and there, but he has enough sense not to swing at the first pitch. Not a very good decision by Cintron at all.

You're questioning the decision to pinch hit for a guy who's hitting .165? I don't recall these good ABs you speak of. No doubt a bad decision by Cintron though.

infohawk
05-30-2006, 09:27 PM
I think Cintron got thr wrong sign. Oz was shaking his head at Cora. Pods would have stolen 2nd and possibly 3rd. I hope it turns out to be a missed sign, because I would be really disappointed if Cintron did something that dumb on his own. He seems to be a pretty heady player, so I was absolutely stunned when he swung at the first pitch. Frankly I couldn't believe it.

The great thing about this team is that they are winning even though they are not quite playing their best ball on a consistent basis. I still think that this team will drop a few more frustrating games here and there, but will avoid a sustained stretch of losing games like they did last August. They went through a really rough two week stretch where they really struggled. Bottom line - they'll get their share of wins in a slightly different manner.

ShoelessJoeS
05-30-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why he was even pinch hitting. Brian was giving good AB's all day, and he usually does. He may swing at a bad pitch here and there, but he has enough sense not to swing at the first pitch. Not a very good decision by Cintron at all because I'm sure the sole reason he was in there was to lay down a bunt and he didn't even give that a shot.I think Cintron was mainly in there to lay down a bunt after Pods stole 2nd, which he should have if Alex didn't swing at the first pitch. Also, to back up my claim, BA layed down a bunt during the game, but got lucky...which is why I believe Cintron was in there....to lay down a successful bunt.

iamkoza
05-30-2006, 09:30 PM
I hope it turns out to be a missed sign, because I would be really disappointed if Cintron did something that dumb on his own. He seems to be a pretty heady player, so I was absolutely stunned when he swung at the first pitch. Frankly I couldn't believe it.

The great thing about this team is that they are winning even though they are not quite playing their best ball on a consistent basis. I still think that this team will drop a few more frustrating games here and there, but will avoid a sustained stretch of losing games like they did last August. They went through a really rough two week stretch where they really struggled. Bottem line - they'll get their share of wins in a slightly different manner.

well if it was hit and run, he pulled the ball, so he screwed that up too

i think the anderson experiment needs to end sooner rather than later, mack-o-wack is hitting .270 witha .370 obp, he needs to play until he goes cold.

oeo
05-30-2006, 09:31 PM
You're questioning the decision to pinch hit for a guy who's hitting .165? I don't recall these good ABs you speak of. No doubt a bad decision by Cintron though.
He walked and muscled what would have been a basehit if it wasn't snagged by Sabathia. The guy is going up there and taking pitches lately, and it's going to pay off eventually. He's not going up there like the free-swinger he was earlier in the year. So yes, I would rather see Brian's .165 average over a guy who hasn't swung the bat for awhile. He may not be hitting the ball very well, but he knows how to work the count and draw a walk.

JB98
05-30-2006, 09:32 PM
well if it was hit and run, he pulled the ball, so he screwed that up too

i think the anderson experiment needs to end sooner rather than later, mack-o-wack is hitting .270 witha .370 obp, he needs to play until he goes cold.

If Ozzie puts Mack in there against a tough lefty like Sabathia, you just might see him go cold. I'm pretty certain Rob will play tomorrow against Westbrook.

infohawk
05-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Well, that game sucked. Defense let us down and couldn't score when we had runners in scoring position. But at least Thornton is coming on strong and could replace Cliff if he can't figure things out. Thornton is looking like this year's Jenks pickup. A very, very shrewd under-the-radar acquisition. It's hard to find good lefty relievers.

I appreciate everything Cliff did for the club last year. He was a big part of our championship. That said, he is the weak link in the bullpen. I would suspect that Nelson will begin to get more of his innings and that KW really only needs to replace Politte at the trade deadline to significantly upgrade the bullpen (based on the present moment).

Brian26
05-30-2006, 09:33 PM

Unfortunately, a team that wins the World Series is inevitably going to have at least two or three guys that have career years in the process. It's looking more and more like Politte may have been one of those guys. Every time I see him now, he looks more like the Politte of 2004 (the guy that walked in the winning run in Detroit in the turn-back-the-clock game) instead of the 2005 Politte. Time will tell, but the bullpen is weaker this year without a healthy Hermanson or steady Politte. This will eventually need to be addressed.

Chisox003
05-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Absolutely not.

Our defense is erratic as it is. You want to take the one consistent glove out of the lineup, and replace him with a guy who was brought here to be a ROLE player? I like "mack-o-wack" but he's a bench player. Anderson is our CF, and it's not an experiment.

1951Campbell
Meh.

Bright side: Thornton. Wicked 99-mph stuff.

Lip Man 1
Brian:

Right now (and it's still 'fairly' early) I think you can say that about Cliff, Cotts, Garland and Uribe.

Lip

Brian26
If Ozzie puts Mack in there against a tough lefty like Sabathia, you just might see him go cold. I'm pretty certain Rob will play tomorrow against Westbrook.

Even though Rob struck out in the 9th, that was a hell of an at-bat. He showed a really good eye in taking those three straight hooks for balls. And that 4th curve would have struck out anybody...that was just plain nasty.

JB98
Unfortunately, a team that wins the World Series is inevitably going to have at least two or three guys that have career years in the process. It's looking more and more like Politte may have been one of those guys. Every time I see him now, he looks more like the Politte of 2004 (the guy that walked in the winning run in Detroit in the turn-back-the-clock game) instead of the 2005 Politte. Time will tell, but the bullpen is weaker this year without a healthy Hermanson or steady Politte. This will eventually need to be addressed.

You know, I figured Politte would fall off a little bit. No way was I expecting an ERA of 2.00 again. But his ERA is up around 7.00. It's unbelievable how much worse he is. He isn't even as good as he was in 2004.

Brian26
05-30-2006, 09:36 PM
I would have pinch-hit Mackowiak for Anderson and let Pablo hit for himself. I like Ozuna in the ninth inning. He makes things happen.

*Cough* Blum *Cough*

Never question Ozzie's choice of pinch hitters.:D:

Brian26
05-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Brian:

Right now (and it's still 'fairly' early) I think you can say that about Cliff, Cotts, Garland and Uribe.

Lip

Yeah, although I'm willing to give Cotts the benefit of the doubt. And, really, Uribe's career year (offensively, at least) was 2004. I think Garland is young and talented enough to get back on track. Politte's the only guy out of those four that I'm really worried about.

infohawk
05-30-2006, 09:41 PM
You know, I figured Politte would fall off a little bit. No way was I expecting an ERA of 2.00 again. But his ERA is up around 7.00. It's unbelievable how much worse he is. He isn't even as good as he was in 2004.
And the book on Politte seems to be for right-handers to look to the outside part of the plate and take him to right. He's not fooling anybody and doesn't have an out pitch. He seems to get two strikes on many hitters only to give up a hit.

Viva Medias B's
05-30-2006, 09:42 PM
This was somewhat like Saturday's game after which Ozzie went off. Think he did the same thing tonight?

iamkoza
05-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Absolutely not.

Our defense is erratic as it is. You want to take the one consistent glove out of the lineup, and replace him with a guy who was brought here to be a ROLE player? I like "mack-o-wack" but he's a bench player. Anderson is our CF, and it's not an experiment.

i'd rather give him a chance to regain some confidence in triple A at the plate, and then be ready to go in a month or 2, hitting sub .200 will eventually take a toll on his defense as well

Frankfan4life
Ozzie, please talk to your boys again! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sauer/angry-smiley-055.gif Thanks!

Chips

He gets hit more than a fat kid walking across the expressway.

lakeviewsoxfan
05-30-2006, 09:44 PM
Cintron is a very impatient hitter plain and simple, all in all a very frustrating game to watch. Ozzie looked very pissed off after AC'S AB. Look for Freddy to pitch well tomorrow.

Bobbo35
05-30-2006, 09:45 PM
8 men left on base is not acceptable with this team. They need to get them in. Crappy 3rd inning, woulda coulda shoulda ain't cutting it. Need a good one tommorow.

GO Sox!

samram
05-30-2006, 09:46 PM
This was somewhat like Saturday's game after which Ozzie went off. Think he did the same thing tonight?

I doubt it. I think he knows the team knows they played badly tonight and he doesn't need to go off again. On the other hand, he looked pissed all night. Did anyone hear his postgame comments?

infohawk
05-30-2006, 09:48 PM
I hate to concede any game, but I generally assume that a four game series is likely to end up in a split. I thought there was a high possibility that we would lose the Sabathia game to begin with. When we jumped out to that three run lead, I thought that we might take the first two right away and really pressure them and take three or four. We may still end up with three, but it would have been nice to win one I wasn't expecting to.

Yanks up 7-6. C'mon Yanks!!!

Viva Medias B's
05-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Top 11: NYY 7, DET 6 (Giambi HR)

SouthSide_HitMen
05-30-2006, 09:53 PM
Very frustrating to nearly put Jake's (and the) Fat Man on the ropes only to get rope a doped in the bottom half of the inning due to shoddy defense.

The bright side is this (CC) is the best the Toons can throw at us and I like our chances to leave Cleveland with a 3-1 series lead.

Westbrook has been our bitch over the years (5.53 ERA career vs. White Sox though he did manage to beat us earlier this year) and Byrd has been MLB's bitch this entire season.

The lack of execution on offense rears its ugly head again and hopefully we can get the signs in order, take a few pitches each at bat and have productive trips to the plate moving people over and in instead of stranded.

Get em tomorrow White Sox!!!

Viva Medias B's
05-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Top 11: NYY 8, DET 6 (Maggs missed a ball in RF allowing Alex Rodriguez to score)

The Wimperoo
05-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Buehrle needs to man up and pitch over the bad defense.

Viva Medias B's
05-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Top 11: NYY 11, DET 6 and if it holds = Tonight's Sox loss is no harm, no foul

FarWestChicago
05-30-2006, 10:06 PM
This is the SOX rant thread. Please take the Kitty watch to the Kitty watch thread.

Rob190
05-30-2006, 10:11 PM
I like the remaining matchups. If Garcia can rebound from Saturdays drubbing, them we get Jose taking on Byrd.

ws05champs
05-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Thank you Yankees. Good luck tomorrow. (Somehow that sounds wrong.)

elrod
05-30-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm more bothered by Iguchi's failed bunt. Notice that our offense disappeared after that at-bat? Suppose he bunts Ozuna to third. The next play was a deep flyout that easily scores Ozuna. I knew that Sabathia would settle in, and that every run would be crucial. The snap throw was tough too, though Grady Sizemore made a nice slide. JD's error in right was irrelevant. That guy scores on Peralta's HR no matter what.

ChiSoxLifer
05-30-2006, 10:39 PM
*Cough* Blum *Cough*

Never question Ozzie's choice of pinch hitters.:D:

I thought Olney picked Blum to pinch hit.

GoSox2K3
05-30-2006, 10:51 PM

Expect that the Yanks just gained a game on us in the wild card. Hey, if we're going to obsess about the Tigers this early for a playoff spot, why not do the same about the Yankees?

A.T. Money
05-30-2006, 10:55 PM

Exactly. How about taking a pitch? My God. Terrible.

oeo
05-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Expect that the Yanks just gained a game on us in the wild card. Hey, if we're going to obsess about the Tigers this early for a playoff spot, why not do the same about the Yankees?

Because it's a little early to be talking about the Wild Card...

GoSox2K3
05-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Because it's a little early to be talking about the Wild Card...

ummmm.....actually, that's my point.

But it's not to early to turn Sox postgame threads into Tigers watch threads!:rolleyes:

GoSox2K3
05-30-2006, 11:05 PM
I didn't realize until now that the Sox are only one game off last year's pace.

I guess that shows how much better this '06 team is all around because I really got the feeling last year that we just played excellent fundamentals and squeezed out every win we could.

This year, we're not playing nearly as well in fundamentals - and we've given a way quite a few game.....and yet have essentially the same record as last year. This to me says alot about the potential this team has once it starts executing like it did last year.

kevingrt
05-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Cintron swinging at the first pitch in the 9th still bugs me. We should have won this game if not gotten it to extras if we hadn't messed up our opportunities. It's losses like this that bug me so much.

WhiteSoxRich
05-30-2006, 11:39 PM

Yes but it aggravates me because while we didn't lose any ground, we didn't gain any.

This is a game we should have won. :angry:

Vernam
05-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Meh.

Bright side: Thornton. Wicked 99-mph stuff.Marte for Mackowiak, Borchard for Thornton. Highway robbery.

The D let Buehrle down, when he wasn't letting himself down. He got some pitches up, and the Tribe made him pay. Still, if PK could've made the tag on that pickoff . . .

Vernam

HotelWhiteSox
05-31-2006, 03:05 AM
I blame Erin Andrews. Sutcliffe was on ESPNEWS before the game and said when he was in the pregame meetings with Ozzie, he got mad at the players who kept coming in regularly and said 'You guys never come in here. You just come in here because she good looking'

And how about that George Clooney?

Grzegorz
05-31-2006, 04:54 AM
This year, we're not playing nearly as well in fundamentals - and we've given a way quite a few game.....and yet have essentially the same record as last year. This to me says alot about the potential this team has once it starts executing like it did last year.

This post is by no means to be taken as a swipe at GoSox2K3

"Potential" I get tired of hearing that word with the White Sox. Hitting is streaky no doubt, but you know what is not streaky? Defense and fundamentals; play defense, move the runners over, run the bases intelligently, play smart baseball by making the pitcher pitch, and concentrate on the mound.

Physical mistakes happen, but this team has committed more than its share of mental mistakes. As we've seen, those will kill you.

White_Sock
05-31-2006, 05:38 AM
Originally Posted by Vernam
Marte for Mackowiak, Borchard for Thornton. Highway robbery.

Thronton wasn't anything but potential untill Coop got to 'em. Coop has the midas touch.

bigsqwert
05-31-2006, 06:59 AM
Coop has the midas touch. Except with anyone named Politte or Garland.

GoSox2K3
05-31-2006, 08:06 AM
This post is by no means to be taken as a swipe at GoSox2K3

"Potential" I get tired of hearing that word with the White Sox. Hitting is streaky no doubt, but you know what is not streaky? Defense and fundamentals; play defense, move the runners over, run the bases intelligently, play smart baseball by making the pitcher pitch, and concentrate on the mound.

Physical mistakes happen, but this team has committed more than its share of mental mistakes. As we've seen, those will kill you.

None taken. I think we're in agreement on this.

The only thing I wanted to point out is that I'm surprised that, with all of our mental mistakes this year, we're still running about even with last year's hot start when we made very few mental mistakes. I'm hopeful that the Sox can get their mental game back in gear because, if they do, this team will be alot of fun to watch. If they don't....as you say, mental mistakes are going to kill us.

MsSoxVixen22
05-31-2006, 08:16 AM
Errors never fail to screw us over....and leaving to many men on base! Pods doesn't need to be on the bench! Let's get the next 2 boys....we can't do this when we play the Kittens!

INSox56
05-31-2006, 08:33 AM
And how about that George Clooney?

He's trying...tryin to get up there and....solve that thing man...

0o0o0
05-31-2006, 08:55 AM
The defense seems to have fallen off from last year...Sox are currently 10th in fielding pct in AL. Not a good sign.
While this team has the potential to be way better than last year's team, they sure are playing A LOT different than last year's team. :(:

But to think that they have the second best record in baseball and they haven't even gotten in a groove yet is a scary thought.

0o0o0
05-31-2006, 08:56 AM
He's trying...tryin to get up there and....solve that thing man...
It's not that busy man...it's not that busy.

Frater Perdurabo
05-31-2006, 09:07 AM
While this team has the potential to be way better than last year's team, they sure are playing A LOT different than last year's team. :(:

But to think that they have the second best record in baseball and they haven't even gotten in a groove yet is a scary thought.

You're right. They already have 16 wins this month. If they win tonight, their May record will be 17-11. If they lose, it will be 16-12. By comparison, their worst month last year was August, in which they went 12-16. (They were 18-10 last May.) I realize that to break down a season record by month is just as arbitrary as any other breakdown, but I have a feeling that if the Sox are making this many mental errors, and getting quite poor production out of the #8 and #9 spots (I believe Anderson and Uribe will improve significantly), and yet still posting a winning record, they are going to be fine.

:bandance:

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-31-2006, 09:11 AM
You're right. They already have 16 wins this month. If they win tonight, their May record will be 17-11. If they lose, it will be 16-12. By comparison, their worst month last year was August, in which they went 12-16. (They were 18-10 last May.) I realize that to break down a season record by month is just as arbitrary as any other breakdown, but I have a feeling that if the Sox are making this many mental errors, and getting quite poor production out of the #8 and #9 spots (I believe Anderson and Uribe will improve significantly), and yet still posting a winning record, they are going to be fine.

We take 3 of 4 games with the Tribe(or worst case, split), and Detroit's getting a real litmus test against a good team. This will help pan out all the hype about Detroit. I agree with Frater also....we're one game off the pace from last year, 2nd best record in baseball and not everything is clicking?? Hmm...there are worse fates in the world.

Hitmen77
05-31-2006, 09:13 AM
..., but I have a feeling that if the Sox are making this many mental errors, and getting quite poor production out of the #8 and #9 spots (I believe Anderson and Uribe will improve significantly), and yet still posting a winning record, they are going to be fine.

Better than that, they're posting a .650 winning percentage. That would be on pace to win 105 games. :o: And they're doing this with a shaky bullpen, two hitters hitting below .200, and giving away a few games with errors.

yesenia
05-31-2006, 09:30 AM
That is pretty shocking that compared to last year so many of us are pretty disappointed with our guys but in fact they are in 2nd/1st depending on when you look. I think the other teams have just really improved. We may be equal to last year but the Tigers and Indians are doing pretty well so thats what makes everything look different. I always thought "Ozzie ball" was about stolen bases, fast guys, pitching and not afraid of bunting rather than long ball. Yeah these guys are playing different tho. Something is going on with Politte and Garland. I say Thornton needs to see more time and more work should be put into McCarthey. Maybe Politte will get his stuff back but until he and Cotts are really ready to play and not give up runs, they should take a backseat for a bit.

soxinem1
05-31-2006, 09:33 AM

I was curious why Guillen chose him over Mackowiak, since he has a hot stick right now. Plus, Pods works a real tough walk and this nut hacks at the first pitch, especially when you have a catcher behind the plate who's thrown out about 8% of SB attempts.

And regarding defense, only Crede, Anderson, AJ, and Dye, among the regulars, have looked good most of the year. DP's are way down and boneheaded plays that do not show in box scores are up.

This is not panic or storm mode, but these guys have been very pedestrian as a group defensively most of the year, especially with MB on the mound.

INSox56
05-31-2006, 10:42 AM
We take 3 of 4 games with the Tribe(or worst case, split), and Detroit's getting a real litmus test against a good team. This will help pan out all the hype about Detroit.

Funny thing about the Tigers...notice how we keep ending up playing teams' best pitchers, with exception to halladay. Tigers faced some of the worst pitchers on most teams' staffs. Feels like they're hot, but I have a feeling that they're just hitting the crap out of bad pitching.

INSox56
05-31-2006, 10:43 AM
It's not that busy man...it's not that busy.

Probably one of the funniest things I've heard in a while.

spiffie
05-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Except with anyone named Politte or Garland.
2005, I don't remember any year called 2005.

Jon and Cliff will be fine. Jon was a stud for us last year and just needs to work out the kinks in his game and he'll be fine. Coop said Cliff was throwing great in the side sessions before the game, and if Coop is happy with what Politte is capable of that's good enough for me to believe that everything will end up being okay with him too. If something truly goes wrong with one of them then I'm sure KW will jump in and make another awesome trade to fix things the moment he feels its necessary.

Like others have pointed out, even with these "problems" we're still on a 105-win pace. It just seems more stressful because of the Tigers, but hopefully all of my earlier fears are being shown to be incredibly misplaced as they crap the bed against a real team. Oh how wonderful to be misguided! :D:

nasox
05-31-2006, 11:02 AM
Funny thing about the Tigers...notice how we keep ending up playing teams' best pitchers, with exception to halladay. Tigers faced some of the worst pitchers on most teams' staffs. Feels like they're hot, but I have a feeling that they're just hitting the crap out of bad pitching.

Come on. If a Tiger fan said this about the Sox, you would just jump all over him and say we play the same teams, you're reading to deep into this, you are just making excuses. This is simply how it is. You play the teams that are on the schedule. Strength of schedule is already BS and this is like strength of the strength of schedule. That is completely idiotic.

They are hot, and they are beating who they play. We are playing ok baseball, winning, but we know we can do better and as a result, we're in first place. It comes down to those games next week against the Tigers. That is where we make our statement: This is our house and our division and you are our bitches. We need to say that.

We always complain about how the media treats us as a fluke and how they didn't take us seriously last year. Well, don't treat the Tigers like the media treated us, or else, don't complain.

One thing is for sure, we have to start acknowlidging the Tigers sooner or later.

PS: This doesn't mean I don't think the Tigers will not cool off. They'll have their slump just as we did last year.

hawkjt
05-31-2006, 12:32 PM
hey, I have been tracking it and the tigers have missed some of the top pitchers and the sox have not to this point. But that will even out over time.

I was very pissed that ozzie did not give the ''take'' sign to Cintron to allow Pods to steal. Now maybe he did and Alex missed the sign. either way, it is ozzies responsibility to make sure that alex is not swinging on that pitch. I was shocked when he swung, even with no one on base he should look at a couple of pitches when a guy just walked the preceding batter. Gotta wonder about AC's baseball instincts.

The defense really did not cost Burls. JD'd error did not matter after the homer. And the PK play is one that you can not count on, would have been a bonus but it was not an error.

Wish boone was still brain dead. He always hurts the sox.

It was weird how Burls had that spate of high pitches all bunched together . Like he lost his focus or something. Not like him.

But you have to admit that the indians really did give the sox the big inning and of course the sox did not take full advantage. When Tadahito did not get the bunt down to move Pablo I had a bad feeling.

Tadahito looked tired or hurt out there at the plate. Bad at-bats all nite.
There are some guys that just have to get bunting down pat. Tadahito,Pods,Pablo,BA,Juan, Joe,AJ, Mack,AC,Widg-- report to the park an hour early for bunting practice for the next 3 days. JD,Big Jim,and Paulie- sleep in.

TomParrish79
05-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Garland hate spreading into every thread....and Garland will win 16 games for us this year and still cant catch a break from some people