PDA

View Full Version : Nice Matt Thornton Article

Beautox
05-30-2006, 01:59 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox26.html

enjoy.

yesenia
05-30-2006, 02:03 PM
This is one of my favorite articles. I love how it showed how much Coop really wanted to take this kid under his wing.

cbone
05-30-2006, 02:09 PM
"There you finally got him, now leave me the **** alone." Classic Ozzie.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Glad to see a positive piece from Cowley.

Thornton must have forgotten his mother's BD or something:

"All I know is he told me about two phone calls he received this year,'' Cooper said. "He walked four guys in Kansas City [three intentional], and his mom called him up and said, 'Why are they asking you to walk all those guys? You've always done that pretty well by yourself.'

HITMEN OF 77
05-30-2006, 02:17 PM
I guess he's a real nice kid. A good friend of mine knows him pretty well. They have a nephew who played with him in the Seattle organization.

drewcifer
05-30-2006, 02:18 PM
That is a great article. Coop is just awesome. Simple straight forward approach to pitching complete with goal setting and most importantly, getting our guys to see results.

I love that guy.

SoxFan76
05-30-2006, 02:44 PM
See, now why can't the Trib produce some articles like that every once in awhile. Winning is boring? There's nothing to talk about regarding the White Sox? Puhlease.

Beautox
05-30-2006, 02:51 PM
See, now why can't the Trib produce some articles like that every once in awhile. Winning is boring? There's nothing to talk about regarding the White Sox? Puhlease.

/agree

Tekk
05-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the link, I absolutely love reading about the "lesser known" players.

The Immigrant
05-30-2006, 03:05 PM

In all fairness, Steve Rosenbloom did have a nice piece on Chris Widger on the back page of last Sunday's (5/21) Tribune. Agree that more is needed.

SoxFan76
05-30-2006, 03:10 PM
In all fairness, Steve Rosenbloom did have a nice piece on Chris Widger on the back page of last Sunday's (5/21) Tribune. Agree that more is needed.

I'm not talking about full blown back page spreads or anything, although they are nice. Little articles here and there wouldn't hurt. The resurgance of Thome, Thornton coming into his own, maybe how Broadway is doing, Sweeney or any other minor leaguers...you know what I'll stop. I don't want to hijack the thread.

Nice piece on Thornton.

MarySwiss
05-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Good to see. I was happy when we got Thornton, because everybody seemed to think he has a lot of untapped potential, and if anyone can tap a pitcher's potential, it's Coop.

Tragg
05-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Great article.

MadetoOrta
05-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Now I know why the pitchers swear by Coop. If I owned a team, he'd be near the top of the list for manager.

goofymsfan
05-30-2006, 03:55 PM
I guess he's a real nice kid. A good friend of mine knows him pretty well. They have a nephew who played with him in the Seattle organization.

The interactions I've had with Matt have always been good. When I'm at the Marinier games, if a Tacoma Rainier game is on, I'm listening to it. When Matt was first called up from Tacoma, he still wanted to know what was going on in the Rainier games. Since I stand out by the bull pen, the guys out there know who I am and that I listen to the R's games. Freaked me out though when one day he calls over to me using my name and asks the score, who's pitching, etc.

Also, a friend of mine's son does bullpen catching for the Rainiers and has never had anything but nice things to say about Matt. I'm going to share the article with them as well.

It always pained me to see him struggle here in Seattle, because he did have so much potential. I'm glad to see that he is getting things on the right track with Chicago. Now there are 2 players there that I keep an eye on that were once in the Seattle organization.

daveeym
05-30-2006, 04:07 PM
:gulp: :gulp: Bout time. There's about 5 other articles like this dying to be written.

spiffie
05-30-2006, 04:11 PM
He's looked pretty good out there lately, like he's starting to relax and trust the support staff around him (Cooper, AJ, Ozzie) which could be enormous for this team. Thornton pitching up the quality of his stuff is almost like making a midseason trade for a solid bullpen arm. With Jenks rounding (no pun intended) into unhittable form, Cotts looking good, and Thornton becoming fairly dependable that gives us 3 very good arms. If we can get 1-2 more either from our current group or in a trade I will be pretty confident in the pen going into the playoffs.

goon
05-30-2006, 05:25 PM
good read. it's a shame he's going to get sent down to AAA because of all the mistakes he's been making.

i'm sorry, i just couldn't help myself.

beckett21
05-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Thank you for posting that article.

I've said this about 100 times now, but I'm more confident in Thornton every outing. He looked really good tonight getting Politte off the hook and keeping the game close. Coop's work with him is really paying off.

Chips
05-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Thank you for posting that article.

I've said this about 100 times now, but I'm more confident in Thornton every outing. He looked really good tonight getting Politte off the hook and keeping the game close. Coop's work with him is really paying off.

It was a good article. And he is looking like the go to guy out of the bullpen. And we traded Joe Borchard for him.