05-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Open threads with responses posted yesterday and today (though 11:30 am):

Sox Clubhouse - 19
Talking Baseball - Non Cub posts - 16
Flubsessed Posts in WTS (including Cuban post in Talking Baseball) - 20

:(:

itsnotrequired
05-30-2006, 01:22 PM
I guess it is true what Chicago sports-talk radio says, championships and winning records indeed lead to boredom. When does football season start?

:D:

comet2k
05-30-2006, 01:25 PM
It is amazing how many Sox fans here are so obsessed with the Cubs. There's even a thread on how to fix the Cubs.

Keep it up and Cub fans will flock here because it's the best site for discussing their team.

kittle42
05-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Shh! Don't you know our championship is meaningless until the Sox get more press coverage and outdraw the Cubs?

Reading some of the posts here, I realize that many here validate the above ridiculousness spewed by Cub fans by their own obsessive behavior.

bennyw41
05-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Maybe some people should open an Anti-cub site instead of flooding this one...Hangar...sorry dude...its overkill.

Dan Mega
05-30-2006, 01:38 PM
How did you reach the "Flubsessed" count? Are you counting the threads criticizing the Chicago media and the threads about the Cubs as one in the same? Because they aren't.

voodoochile
05-30-2006, 01:43 PM
How did you reach the "Flubsessed" count? Are you counting the threads criticizing the Chicago media and the threads about the Cubs as one in the same? Because they aren't.

Hold on to that dream...:rolleyes:

bennyw41
05-30-2006, 01:45 PM

An inferiority complex involving the Cubs, masked in the Chicago Media is the same thing.

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 01:51 PM
An inferiority complex involving the Cubs, masked in the Chicago Media is the same thing.

That sir, was the proverbial Pie-in-the-media-face

McCuddy
05-30-2006, 01:55 PM
That sir, was the proverbial Pie-in-the-media-face

What?

:?:

pdimas
05-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Hahahaha now we have a obsessed thread about flubsession. Will the vicious circle never end?

LongLiveFisk
05-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Some people at WSI do seem to be overly Cubsessed.

Maybe Cub threads should get the same treatment that political and attendance threads get (?) :cool:

Dan Mega
05-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Hold on to that dream...:rolleyes:

I'm still trying to figure out how complaining about the media's huge attention to the Chicago Sky as opposed to the Sox winning is somehow "Flubsessed":rolleyes:

MadetoOrta
05-30-2006, 03:13 PM
In my view, it's unfair to characterize this as flubsession. I hope no one actually finds the cubune coverage since '81 to be fair and unbiased when it comes to baseball. That's fantasyland. The "McGrath Sullivan" fiasco earlier this month proved what Hangar's claimed all along. Why is it important to point out the obvious bias? It hurts the Sox as an organization in the long run. KW was right on when he said the Sox have to win the WS twice. I now understand what he means. Keep it up Hangar.

spiffie
05-30-2006, 03:21 PM

Sox Clubhouse - 19

And exactly which White Sox related topics do you feel are not being adequately considered? I mean we could post about Brian Anderson...oh wait, there's a 181 post thread about that topic. How about what hat Jim Thome should wear into the HOF, that has 51 posts. Perhaps about what is going on with Jon Garland, the guy who has a 141 post thread currently going. Only problem is in both the BA and JG threads seemingly half the posts are people saying we shouldn't be talking about this. Making negative notes about any of the following things tends to bring about a round of condemnation:

Juan Uribe batting .200
Brian Anderson batting well below .200
Jon Garland's struggles
Cliff Pollite's struggles
Brandon McCarthy's struggles
Most anything related to number crunchingI suppose there could be more call for 100 post threads about "Don't you love Joe Crede?" but I think we've all said that a few hundred times (well, all of us but Shoota). There isn't much to say, and the conventional board wisdom seems to be "we're a great team, the not-great parts will end up being great, playoffs here we come, just shut up and enjoy the ride." For the most part I tend to agree with that. So when there's a baseball catastrophe of epic proportions happening in the same city as I live, I tend to notice and be compelled to comment on such a thing. And apparently I'm not alone. I just don't know how it came to be that my ability to process multiple pieces of information came to be seen as some sort of obsession.

havelj
05-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Cub fans are obsessed with talking about the Sox fan's obsession with the Cubs.

Huh?

TheDarkGundam
05-30-2006, 03:31 PM
As I usually say when someone starts complaining about "Flubsession",
if you don't want to read about the Cubs, or the media bias, just stay out of What's The Score. It's that simple. (The Mark Cuban thread in Talking Baseball of course being the exception). Going in to WTS and complaining about cub/media related posts is like going into the Parking Lot and complaining about someone quoting the Simpsons.
I should start an "Obsessed with Flubsessed Watch 5/30/06" thread.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-30-2006, 03:56 PM
And exactly which White Sox related topics do you feel are not being adequately considered? I mean we could post about Brian Anderson...oh wait, there's a 181 post thread about that topic. How about what hat Jim Thome should wear into the HOF, that has 51 posts. Perhaps about what is going on with Jon Garland, the guy who has a 141 post thread currently going. Only problem is in both the BA and JG threads seemingly half the posts are people saying we shouldn't be talking about this. Making negative notes about any of the following things tends to bring about a round of condemnation:

Juan Uribe batting .200
Brian Anderson batting well below .200
Jon Garland's struggles
Cliff Pollite's struggles
Brandon McCarthy's struggles
Most anything related to number crunchingI suppose there could be more call for 100 post threads about "Don't you love Joe Crede?" but I think we've all said that a few hundred times (well, all of us but Shoota). There isn't much to say, and the conventional board wisdom seems to be "we're a great team, the not-great parts will end up being great, playoffs here we come, just shut up and enjoy the ride." For the most part I tend to agree with that. So when there's a baseball catastrophe of epic proportions happening in the same city as I live, I tend to notice and be compelled to comment on such a thing. And apparently I'm not alone. I just don't know how it came to be that my ability to process multiple pieces of information came to be seen as some sort of obsession.

I could see Cubs related posts during the interleague nonsense but I think when you go to a White Sox message board and there are more active threads regarding the Cubs than there are regarding the White Sox or MLB in general, it is excessive (or at least it is on my end).

I usually drive by the What's the Score thread (I mostly go to the Sox Clubhouse or Parking Lot as well as Talking Baseball and the Roadhouse).

When I saw so many active threads regarding a team that sucks with nothing new going on (no Trixie hits Jacques Jones incidents this weekend) I was surprised and did a quick count regarding the three baseball boards as to active threads since yesterday.

I find it ironic that people are up in arms about the lack of White Sox coverage / too much Cubs coverage by our woeful media yet Sox fans come here and find the same exact situtation - more Cubs related threads (which would be articles in the newsworld) than White Sox threads ON A WHITE SOX MESSAGE BOARD.

If WSI were a Tribune produced board there would be several threads bemoaning the fact there are more Cubs related topics than White Sox within the White Sox message board.

That is pretty much the point of this thread. I am not going to create a daily thread count. I just found it odd this morning that Cubs threads outnumbered White Sox or MLB threads during a weekend where we played meaningful games (as well as Detroit), Bonds hit 715 and the Cubs were playing meaningless games.

Chisox003
05-30-2006, 04:01 PM

Sox Clubhouse - 19

Let me just say, excellent idea.

It's pathetic, and something had to be done.

:bandance:

bennyw41
05-30-2006, 04:05 PM
I find it ironic that people are up in arms about the lack of White Sox coverage / too much Cubs coverage by our woeful media yet Sox fans come here and find the same exact situtation - more Cubs related threads (which would be articles in the newsworld) than White Sox threads ON A WHITE SOX MESSAGE BOARD.

Best thing I've heard on here in a while. Most of my Cub fan friends laugh at the WSI because they say its more a anti-cub sight than a Whitesox Site.

Also, to "Spiffie" who says that there is nothing else Sox related to talk about....you're crazy.

1951Campbell
05-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Not even 6% of the posts on WSI are at WTS. That does not strike me as high.

Perhaps the Hall Monitors among us here should go back to chasing down teal abusers and ignorers of Strunk and White.

spiffie
05-30-2006, 04:17 PM
I could see Cubs related posts during the interleague nonsense but I think when you go to a White Sox message board and there are more active threads regarding the Cubs than there are regarding the White Sox or MLB in general, it is excessive (or at least it is on my end).

I usually drive by the What's the Score thread (I mostly go to the Sox Clubhouse or Parking Lot as well as Talking Baseball and the Roadhouse).

When I saw so many active threads regarding a team that sucks with nothing new going on (no Trixie hits Jacques Jones incidents this weekend) I was surprised and did a quick count regarding the three baseball boards as to active threads since yesterday.

That is pretty much the point of this thread. I am not going to create a daily thread count. I just found it odd this morning that Cubs threads outnumbered White Sox or MLB threads during a weekend where we played meaningful games (as well as Detroit), Bonds hit 715 and the Cubs were playing meaningless games.
Well, everyone hates Bonds, there is a rather large thread about the Yankees series vs. the Tigers, as well as the ongoing debate in the "Welcome to Second Place..." thread. The Sox are dealt with in the very large discussion threads. The post count and view count for the Clubhouse threads is much larger than anything generally in WTS or TB.

Also, to "Spiffie" who says that there is nothing else Sox related to talk about....you're crazy.
Well benny, go into the Clubhouse, find a topic you think isn't adequately discussed, start a thread on it, and I promise you I will be right there for talking about it.

TheDarkGundam
05-30-2006, 04:18 PM

Sox Clubhouse - 19

Okay, so from yesterday to 11:30 this morning, there were 35 non-cub related threads with responses posted. There were 20 cub related threads.
So there were more non-cub posts than cub posts.
If that's not cubsessed I don't know what is!

Chip Z'nuff
05-30-2006, 04:20 PM
You ain't gonna change any minds either way, why waste your energy?

bennyw41
05-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Well, everyone hates Bonds, there is a rather large thread about the Yankees series vs. the Tigers, as well as the ongoing debate in the "Welcome to Second Place..." thread. The Sox are dealt with in the very large discussion threads. The post count and view count for the Clubhouse threads is much larger than anything generally in WTS or TB.

Well benny, go into the Clubhouse, find a topic you think isn't adequately discussed, start a thread on it, and I promise you I will be right there for talking about it.

I will if i have any, but to say that all White Sox topics are played out, is wrong.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-30-2006, 04:26 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/nm_stats.php?do=topforums

Last 24 Hours (New threads only)
The Parking Lot (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=6) 176
What's The Score? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18) 94
Talking Baseball (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=15) 58
Pick To Click Game Day (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=8) 35
Sox Clubhouse (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5) 32
WSI Roadhouse (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=12) 11
Fantasy Island (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=13) 9
The WSI Ticket Exchange (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=19) 6
Minor Observations (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=17) 2

Again there is more activity in What's The Socre than Talking Baseball, Pick To Click and Sox Clubhouse.

What great newsworthy event occurred that warrants such a flurry of Cubs related activity? Did Prior and Wood throw towels? Did the Cubs do something / anything newsworthy (since 2003 I haven't noted anything)?

This is an embarrassment to a White Sox message board. No wonder people laugh at Sox fans saying they are more worried about the Cubs than the White Sox even after a World Series and their current battle for first place / the overall best record in baseball.

Maybe the media has it right - when you combine the Cubs fans and Cubsessed "Sox" fans there is so much interest in all things Cubs and White Sox baseball should be relegated to whatever space is leftover. The Tribune has an excuse - what is your excuse?

Palehose13
05-30-2006, 04:26 PM

That is an excellent outlook. I think all of society should think that way. :rolleyes:

pdimas
05-30-2006, 04:27 PM

Exactly some people have way way too much time on their hands.

Jerko
05-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Yes, there are flubsessed people in the world, I won't deny that. But in the last week and a half or so, look what has happened to a single professional baseball team:

Catcher starts fight then runs over another catcher a week later
Classiest man ever in sports history beats water cooler with bat
Swept by Marlins
Swept by Braves
Lose game by allowing 2 men to score on the same sac fly
Lose game by allowing popup to hit you in the head
Lose 2 of 3 games the Savior started
Lose game by bunting with 2 outs in the 9th and down 2
Had a fool fan run onto the field
Had a fool fan throw a ball at a player's head

That's funny stuff. The fact that it is happening to the Cubs, ESPECIALLY after the fight, is what makes most of us a little more vocal when something bad happens to them. Plus, Cub fans would do it too if the shoe were on the other foot. Hell, they give us **** now and our team is #1. Bennyw even said that his cub fan friends come here to WSI to make fun of us, because we "worry about the cubs and their fans". Seems to me they "worry about the Sox and their fans" if they're reading WSI. :rolleyes:

daveeym
05-30-2006, 04:36 PM

The Parking Lot (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=6) 176
What's The Score? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18) 94
Talking Baseball (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=15) 58
Pick To Click Game Day (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=8) 35
Sox Clubhouse (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5) 32
WSI Roadhouse (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=12) 11
Fantasy Island (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=13) 9
The WSI Ticket Exchange (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=19) 6
Minor Observations (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=17) 2

Again there is more activity in What's The Socre than Talking Baseball, Pick To Click and Sox Clubhouse.

What great newsworthy event occurred that warrants such a flurry of Cubs related activity? Did Prior and Wood throw towels? Did the Cubs do something / anything newsworthy (since 2003 I haven't noted anything)?

This is an embarrassment to a White Sox message board. No wonder people laugh at Sox fans saying they are more worried about the Cubs than the White Sox even after a World Series and their current battle for first place / the overall best record in baseball.

Maybe the media has it right - when you combine the Cubs fans and Cubsessed "Sox" fans there is so much interest in all things Cubs and White Sox baseball should be relegated to whatever space is leftover. The Tribune has an excuse - what is your excuse? I highly question your research and statistics. Kent everyone knows 80% of statistics are made up.

Edit ok it's on posts not threads, either way check that link again after the game tonight.

TheDarkGundam
05-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Again there is more activity in What's The Socre than Talking Baseball, Pick To Click and Sox Clubhouse combined.

You know what happened to cause this increase in WTS activity?
YOU STARTED THIS THREAD.
Do you know which thread in WTS is currently getting the most activity?
THIS ONE.

maurice
05-30-2006, 04:39 PM
LMAO at people who bitch that WSI is insufficiently focused on the Sox and allegedly Cub-obsessed. This observation requires them to click on a non-Sox forum at WSI, spend their time counting allegedly Cub-related posts, and then make multiple posts in the same non-Sox forum. Sounds like the complainers are pretty Cub-obsessed themselves . . . or at least Hangar-obsessed.

It's not that complicated, folks. If you don't want to hear Sox fans criticize the media or the Cubs, don't click on WTS. That's the reason that we have separate forums.
:rolleyes:

Most of my Cub fan friends laugh at the WSI because they say its more a anti-cub sight than a Whitesox Site.

Why have most of your Cub fan friends spent time on the forums at WSI? They must be awfully Sox-obsessed. I've never been to a Cub fan site in my life (excluding the Trib's web pages, of course).

SouthSide_HitMen
05-30-2006, 04:39 PM
Yes, there are flubsessed people in the world, I won't deny that. But in the last week and a half or so, look what has happened to a single professional baseball team:

Swept by Marlins
Swept by Braves

That's funny stuff. The fact that it is happening to the Cubs, ESPECIALLY after the fight, is what makes most of us a little more vocal when something bad happens to them. Plus, Cub fans would do it too if the shoe were on the other foot.

The Braves sweep and Ramirez blunder (related thread in the Roadhouse BTW - add another to the WTS tally) happened two days ago. Nothing happened yesterday / today. The post counts are over the last 24 hours. I could care less what Cubs fans would do - by definition a "Cub fan" has no clue.

rightsox
05-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Why would you start a WTS thread complaining about there being too many active WTS threads? Did you count this one, or are we up to 21 now. :smile:

I'm just a simple hyper-chicken from a backwoods asteroid, but that don't make no sense to me.

spiffie

The Parking Lot (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=6) 175
What's The Score? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18) 121

Again there is more activity in What's The Socre than Talking Baseball, Pick To Click and Sox Clubhouse combined.

You keep using new threads to prove your point, when all the activity in the Clubhouse keeps happening in the threads that have been ongoing, as you would expect with a team that we all follow on a daily basis. The same issues that we've been dealing with for a month are still the ones we're discussing, which is why we have nearly 200 posts about Brian Anderson and why we have 150+ posts about Jon Garland. Hell, if I made a new post right now complaining about Brian Anderson it would probably get merged into the existing Brian Anderson thread.

Also, by using new threads you allow the fact that certain posters who do have obsession issues tend to make a lot of new threads make it appear as though there is much more activity in that forum than there truly is.

And again you ignore the context. Most of these threads are not at all about the Cubs as a baseball team. They are about the media coverage given to the two teams. A quick scan through some of the threads:
"Rogers Column on Barrett"
"Chicago Media NewsWatch 5/30/06"
"Mulligan & Hanley"
"Are ESPN and Cubune One and the Same"
"Sundays edition of talking baseball on espn1000"
"Sox ain't That Good" - post about letter in TSN
"Did You Get the Memo" - media coverage post

In threads that have been posted in during the last 48 hours, there are 6 threads which can charitably be described as dealing with the Chicago Cubs baseball team. There is 1 thread in that time with over 30 replies, as opposed to the 6 threads in that time frame with over 30 replies in Talking Baseball (including threads of 66 and 103 posts dealing with the Tigers). There are 12 threads in that time frame in the Clubhouse with over 30 replies, including 3 with over 100 replies.

Some people here have an obsession, but I would argue the Cubs are simply the most visible manifestation of it. There is an inferiority complex, mostly brought on by the media onslaught about the Cubs and their seemingly endless waves of publicity. However, in the end most of these "Flubsessed" threads are about people feeling the Sox are not getting their just due in the media. How people define that can vary greatly, and is why I tend not to post very often in media threads.

maurice
Nothing happened yesterday / today.

Today is the first workday after a 3-day weekend. Some folks here only post from work. These folks are reacting to everything that happened since Friday evening.

Palehose13
05-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Why would you start a WTS thread complaining about there being too many active WTS threads? Did you count this one, or are we up to 21 now. :smile:

I'm just a simple hyper-chicken from a backwoods asteroid, but that don't make no sense to me.

He started this in the parking lot and I moved it to WTS.

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 04:46 PM

Maybe the media has it right - when you combine the Cubs fans and Cubsessed "Sox" fans there is so much interest in all things Cubs and White Sox baseball should be relegated to whatever space is leftover. The Tribune has an excuse - what is your excuse?

So SOX fans on a SOX Fan run website, complaining about all the attention the Cubs getting instead of the SOX (who deserve the attention) makes us obsessed? Is that like saying Winning is Boring and Losing is Cool?
Up is Down? Winning is for Losers?
Sounds like Tribune Logic to me. Theres a million things I wouldve loved to hear about today. Anyone realize Jim Thome has hit the QUIETEST 20 HOMERS in Chicago history? No talk about him today at all. How about Ozzie FINALLY barking at the team after two more lackluster games in Toronto? No, we were treated to Openly coveting Mark Cuban instead.
Instead, were treated to weeping,wailing, gnashing of teeth, and whats wrong with the Cubs, why cant they win. We heard this all of last April and May too. And for a majority of the 98 years before too. The Chicago Media needs to get a freaking Clue. WHO CARES ABOUT THE CUBS?

Lets Talk about a Winning Team ...........and not how "great" your foolish fans allegedly are

TheDarkGundam
05-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Oh, okay. Then I take back what I just said.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-30-2006, 04:49 PM
I highly question your research and statistics. Kent everyone knows 80% of statistics are made up.

Edit ok it's on posts not threads, either way check that link again after the game tonight.

Not to worry - several cubsessed threads exist debating the merits of documenting Cubs coverage.

You know what happened to cause this increase in WTS activity?
YOU STARTED THIS THREAD.
Do you know which thread in WTS is currently getting the most activity?
THIS ONE.

Nice try - WTS had more activity before and after this thread.

LMAO at people who bitch that WSI is insufficiently focused on the Sox and allegedly Cub-obsessed. This observation requires them to click on a non-Sox forum at WSI, spend their time counting allegedly Cub-related posts, and then make multiple posts in the same non-Sox forum.

Please. I scanned the boards and noticed this idiotic flurry of Cubs related activity. The only worthy event over the last twenty four hours was the Cubs actually winning a game and Wood and Prior threw baseballs instead of their usual towels.

I have yet to see anyone defend the indefensible - the fact that there are more Cub related threads than White Sox related threads on a White Sox board.

It's just impossible to stick a Cadillac up your nose, it's just impossible.

TheDarkGundam
05-30-2006, 04:51 PM
I have yet to see anyone defend the indefensible - the fact that there are more Cub related threads than White Sox related threads on a White Sox board.
Does this one not count?
You keep using new threads to prove your point, when all the activity in the Clubhouse keeps happening in the threads that have been ongoing, as you would expect with a team that we all follow on a daily basis. The same issues that we've been dealing with for a month are still the ones we're discussing, which is why we have nearly 200 posts about Brian Anderson and why we have 150+ posts about Jon Garland. Hell, if I made a new post right now complaining about Brian Anderson it would probably get merged into the existing Brian Anderson thread.

rightsox
05-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Damnit!

Well... uh... um.. He should have started it in WTS. Yeah.. That's the ticket.

At any rate, it's clearly about the cubs, so I'm counting it as 21.

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Not to worry - several cubsessed threads exist debating the merits of documenting Cubs coverage.

Please. I scanned the boards and noticed this idiotic flurry of Cubs related activity. The only worthy event over the last twenty four hours was the Cubs actually winning a game and Wood and Prior threw baseballs instead of their usual towels.

It's just impossible to stick a Cadillac up your nose, it's just impossible.

Im glad your taking this stance, Southsidehitmen. Your playing of Devils Advocate is duly noted. Your stance is also that of the Chicago Media, who are always quick to Blame the Victim. My calling out the Media for choosing to give MORE coverage to a 5th place team instead of a team a Game out of 1st place is warranted. The Chicago Media is DEPLORABLE and LAZY. They would rather look for clever ways to get a new owner for that team, than do some research on the SOX vs Tigers rivalry (which goes back decades)

Threads bitching about the SOX not getting coverage and attention (which theyve earned) arent automatically cub threads. Sympathizers in the media will one day come out and tell us so ..........

SouthSide_HitMen
05-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Today is the first workday after a 3-day weekend. Some folks here only post from work. These folks are reacting to everything that happened since Friday evening.

And nothing White Sox related happened over the weekend?

I'm done with this thread (unless I see an outrageous reply).

I reported facts which I thought were sad and ironic.

Hanger (and others) - If I were you I wouldn't buy another Tribune. Listen / watch White Sox baseball, come here or the MLB site for White Sox related news. You'll enjoy the season more (well maybe :tongue: ).

daveeym
05-30-2006, 04:58 PM

It's just impossible to stick a Cadillac up your nose, it's just impossible. See you're just being silly now. Ignore the numbers for the month and all WSI time. Come back and bitch in about 6 hours when this forum is dropped down to about 5th busiest in the last 24 hours. Oh and ingore Spiffie's point about threads being merged and the number of posts in Sox threads compared to posts over here.

HebrewHammer
05-30-2006, 05:02 PM
This thread is nothing without graphs.

Seriously, if this is what it takes to stop the flow of flubsessed threads, I'm all for it.

Can't we just be Sox-sessed? Isn't that the reason we all came to WSI anyways? Or am I naive?

maurice
05-30-2006, 05:03 PM
I scanned the boards and noticed this idiotic flurry of Cubs related activity.

Bull****. Your posts show that you extensively researched the number and contents of allegedly Cub-related posts, repeatedly clicked on this non-Sox forum, and then made multiple posts in this non-Sox forum. In fact, 5 of your last 6 posts have been about the Cubs. The 6th post is about air conditioners. Why nothing about the Sox?

Pot kettle black. You're Hangar-obsessed. If you don't like the contents of this forum, stop clicking on it.

This point has been repeatedly "defended" in at least two unrebutted ways. Let me spell it out for you, since you're not paying attention:

First, your claim is false. There are not "more Cub related threads than White Sox related threads" at WSI. There are at least 35,793 Sox-related theads. WTS has fewer than 3,000 threads total, and many of them are not even about the Cubs.

Second, your methodology is crap, because it focuses only on "number of threads." There is no justification for ignoring number of posts and number of views. These are much better measures of member interest. The most recent Anderson thread alone has almost 200 replies and over 4,000 views. The Garland thread is not far behind.

Jerko
05-30-2006, 05:07 PM
What worries me is that the Parking Lot is running away with this. I mean, this is a SOX site, and we all care more about the Simpsons, soy milk, embarrassing moments, computer problems, sleep, movies, birds, dumb things we've heard, Las Vegas, bachelor parties, and people dying. We suck.

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2006, 05:17 PM
I really don't care who looks at what thread or forum, or who posts in what thread or forum.
:rolleyes:

I do care, and am very grateful, that West and PHG make WSI happen, and that they and the rest of the mods keep things so tidy for all the rest of us.
:smile:

The fact that some are complaining and arguing over trivial nonsense and punting back and forth accusations of others being overly "flubsessed" indicates to me that Sox fans on the whole are happy campers, partaking in the Golden Age of White Sox Baseball.

:supernana:

bennyw41
05-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Why have most of your Cub fan friends spent time on the forums at WSI? They must be awfully Sox-obsessed. I've never been to a Cub fan site in my life (excluding the Trib's web pages, of course).

Re-read my post. WSI has a reputation of being a Site dedicated to bashing the Cubs. Thats what My cub fans "believe" happens here. Its their perception.

spiffie
05-30-2006, 05:23 PM
What worries me is that the Parking Lot is running away with this. I mean, this is a SOX site, and we all care more about the Simpsons, soy milk, embarrassing moments, computer problems, sleep, movies, birds, dumb things we've heard, Las Vegas, bachelor parties, and people dying. We suck.
:tealpolice:
Sir, we are going to need to bring you in for questioning...

santo=dorf
05-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Two runs scoring on a sac fly, and the winning run coming because of the third baseman's head are worthy of a discussion, but does WSI really need a "Today, I saw this kid in a Cubs hat, litter right outside the Jewel. I guess he must've thought he was in the right field bleachers" posts?

I like how the Yankees board handle the obsessive Red Sox crap. They just throw it all in one big thread and forbid any game day discussion with that particular team.

bennyw41
05-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Bennyw even said that his cub fan friends come here to WSI to make fun of us, because we "worry about the cubs and their fans". Seems to me they "worry about the Sox and their fans" if they're reading WSI. :rolleyes:

I never said that. Re-read, and understand please.

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Re-read my post. WSI has a reputation of being a Site dedicated to bashing the Cubs. Thats what My cub fans "believe" happens here. Its their perception.

To add to that, do you know WHY the sublevel versions of this site for the north-siders do not bash the SOX? THEY CANT. What are they gonna say?
*They have the better team? They dont. History proves that
* They have more WS championships? They dont. History proves that too
* They have "smarter" fans? They dont. History and interaction proves this
* They have a better park? Thats arguable, but preferring a park is folly
* They have better "traditions"? Like 7th inning stretch? That was ours originally.
* They have better food? Its widely known (and alternately Suppressed) that the food up north is Horrible, and The Cells food is fantastic.
* Its a Safer Stadium to go to? Thats wrong, CPD stats bear this out too

MadetoOrta
05-30-2006, 05:30 PM
FP,

This is the Golden Age of White Sox baseball and it's being ignored by that giant conflict of interest called the cubune company. It's the truth and it hurts our beloved team. Does anyone really believe if the cubs won it in 2003, the media would focus its attention on the White Sox? C'mon. I wonder how the LA Times treats the Angels? Wondering.

MTO

bennyw41
05-30-2006, 05:31 PM
To add to that, do you know WHY the sublevel versions of this site for the north-siders do not bash the SOX? THEY CANT. What are they gonna say?
*They have the better team? They dont. History proves that
* They have more WS championships? They dont. History proves that too
* They have "smarter" fans? They dont. History and interaction proves this
* They have a better park? Thats arguable, but preferring a park is folly
* They have better "traditions"? Like 7th inning stretch? That was ours originally.
* They have better food? Its widely known (and alternately Suppressed) that the food up north is Horrible, and The Cells food is fantastic.
* Its a Safer Stadium to go to? Thats wrong, CPD stats bear this out too

Unfortunately, all they have to combat us, is "You care more about the Cubs Losing, than the Sox Winning." and I can't combat that. Its the one thing I can't combat because of people like you (and my dad too). You can say all you want about stats and history, but its all about perception, starting with the Biggest Sox board on the web. When they click New Posts on it, and see all those Cub posts, it just serves to prove them right.

I can combat all other aspects.....

SouthSide_HitMen
05-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Bull****. Your posts show that you extensively researched the number and contents of allegedly Cub-related posts, repeatedly clicked on this non-Sox forum, and then made multiple posts in this non-Sox forum. In fact, 5 of your last 6 posts have been about the Cubs. The 6th post is about air conditioners. Why nothing about the Sox?

Pot kettle black. You're Hangar-obsessed. If you don't like the contents of this forum, stop clicking on it.

Wrong - You scroll over the title thread - it took 3 ****ing minutes not the "extensive research" claimed in your bull**** post.

This point has been repeatedly "defended" in at least two unrebutted ways. Let me spell it out for you, since you're not paying attention:

First, your claim is false. There are not "more Cub related threads than White Sox related threads" at WSI. There are at least 35,793 Sox-related theads. WTS has fewer than 3,000 threads total, and many of them are not even about the Cubs.

Since your issues go beyond cubsession issues (reading comprehension issues, reverting to pathetic insults when you cannot defend the indefensible)

here is the initial unedited post

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1159896&postcount=1

Flubsessed Watch 5/30/06

Sox Clubhouse - 19

The Flubsessed Watch was over the past 36 hours. Stick with the issue at hand if you are capable.

The Mods have also moved around thousands of threads from one board to another as the board has evolved. I've been here two years. Political threads are now in the roadhouse. I don't know when this board was developed to placate the cubsessed but I am certain PHG and the other mods had to sort through thousands of cubsessed threads before this portapot thread was created so "all time" is far less accurate than the actual count we can link for today for instance which show What's the Score outpaces all other baseball discussion which is what this thread is about (not grasping at straws trying to defend cubsession).

Second, your methodology is crap, because it focuses only on "number of threads." There is no justification for ignoring number of posts and number of views. These are much better measures of member interest. The most recent Anderson thread alone has almost 200 replies and over 4,000 views. The Garland thread is not far behind.

I am glad there is more interest in a four day old thread regarding a White Sox stater than a thread regarding "some guy got drunk and threw up at the urinal today Tee hee hee". :rolleyes:

The White Sox and Cubs played day games yesterday (for those protesting about "timing" differences or the fact yesterday was a holiday etc.). The only noteworthy events on the Northside (Wood and Prior pitched, the Cubs broke their weeklong losing streak) were not even the basis for any of the active threads.

cbotnyse
05-30-2006, 05:35 PM

Swept by Marlins
Swept by Braves

That's funny stuff. The fact that it is happening to the Cubs, ESPECIALLY after the fight, is what makes most of us a little more vocal when something bad happens to them. Plus, Cub fans would do it too if the shoe were on the other foot. Hell, they give us **** now and our team is #1. Bennyw even said that his cub fan friends come here to WSI to make fun of us, because we "worry about the cubs and their fans". Seems to me they "worry about the Sox and their fans" if they're reading WSI. :rolleyes:

I agree with this assesment.....I think the fight has really stirred up everybodys flubsession, and since then, the Cubs fall has been fast and furious, and that fall has been so bad it warrents some notice and discussion.

A few days ago I was about to start a "please no more fight talk" thread....I am over it, I think it will go away soon.....The Sox have some huge series coming up (Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Houston) the world will all seem normal soon.

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Two runs scoring on a sac fly, and the winning run coming because of the third baseman's head are worthy of a discussion, but does WSI really need a "Today, I saw this kid in a Cubs hat, litter right outside the Jewel. I guess he must've thought he was in the right field bleachers" posts?

Well, lets consider this for a moment. Where else would you find that fact, media-wise? In the Sun-Times? Sneed? Idiotti? the Tribune? (laughs)
No. Come here if you REALLY want to see whats happening with the SOX
(and alternately the other team, since no matter how much I change the channel or read the papers, we share the same city with that stupid team)

Remember when those 4 "fans" ran on the field against KC? and another bozo tried to tackle the umpire? ESPN and all the news outlets went hogwild talking about mobrule mentality on the South Side, and SOX fans and the SOX were dealt a huge blackeye media-wise. But then remember some surmised the umpire-tackler may have been a Cub fan ....and when I asked some of the Cops on duty, they confirmed YES INDEED he was a Cub Fan from the game earlier? Remember how we then found out (thru OUTSIDE newsources/non-chicago related) that the other 4 were ALSO Cub Fans who were at Wrigley earlier that day? 2 were brothers? (one was photographed the next day wearing his 21 SOSA jersey!)

Would the SunTimes have told us that? Sneed? Kiley? NBC? The Score?
ESPN? The Tribune? (dont make me laugh)
There is a usefulness for this thread ............

Hitmen77
05-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Best thing I've heard on here in a while. Most of my Cub fan friends laugh at the WSI because they are jealous crybabies who want to deflect the conversation away from their pathetic team.

Fixed it for you.

daveeym
05-30-2006, 05:40 PM
I agree with this assesment.....I think the fight has really stirred up everybodys flubsession, and since then, the Cubs fall has been fast and furious, and that fall has been so bad it warrents some notice and discussion.

A few days ago I was about to start a "please no more fight talk" thread....I am over it, I think it will go away soon.....The Sox have some huge series coming up (Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Houston) the world will all seem normal soon. You forget the trip to the northside coming up soon. That's good for a two week discussion.

bennyw41
05-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Well, lets consider this for a moment. Where else would you find that fact, media-wise? In the Sun-Times? Sneed? Idiotti? the Tribune? (laughs)

More like come here if you want the Sox fan's view on Cubland. You are just as biased as anyone else.

Hitmen77
05-30-2006, 05:43 PM

Sox Clubhouse - 19

How did you choose "open threads" as the ultimate barometer of our flubsession?

I just checked right now and there's twice as many members on Clubhouse than there are on WTS.

Also,
A quick check shows that there are 62 members on Clubhouse, Talking Baseball, or Minor Leagues compared to only 17 on WTS.

twsoxfan5
05-30-2006, 05:43 PM
I think people should post what they want to post and read what they want to read. I dont care what the Cubs do on a daily basis, but some people are interested in it. So if you don't want to read a thread about the Cubs don't read it. I dont understand why everyone needs to complain about everything on this site.

cbotnyse
05-30-2006, 05:45 PM
I think people should post what they want to post and read what they want to read. I dont care what the Cubs do on a daily basis, but some people are interested in it. So if you don't want to read a thread about the Cubs don't read it. I dont understand why everyone needs to complain about everything on this site.

I agree, read what you want to read...but I'm gonna complain that you are complaining about people who complain. :redneck

MarySwiss
05-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Wow.

SouthSide, Hangar, Maurice; can we just kiss and make up, please? SS and Maurice, Hangar hates the Cubs. We all know that. So what? (And where is that dead horse icon when I want it?)

Frater, you nailed it with this below:

I really don't care who looks at what thread or forum, or who posts in what thread or forum.:rolleyes: I do care, and am very grateful, that West and PHG make WSI happen, and that they and the rest of the mods keep things so tidy for all the rest of us. The fact that some are complaining and arguing over trivial nonsense and punting back and forth accusations of others being overly "flubsessed" indicates to me that Sox fans on the whole are happy campers, partaking in the Golden Age of White Sox Baseball.

bennyw41, with all due respect, probably pretty much no one at this site gives a rat's fat ass what your "Cub fan friends" think about anything. And neither should you. As far as "combating" them goes, it's simple. Just show them a picture of the World Series trophy. As for the incredibly stupid claim by Cub fans that we care more about them losing than about the Sox winning, just smile, give them an extremely condescending look, and say "Fine." I guarantee it will drive them nuts.:tongue:

itsnotrequired
05-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Not even 6% of the posts on WSI are at WTS. That does not strike me as high.

Keep in mind that the sub-forum is only 16 months old.

Ol' No. 2
05-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Is this really a 5-page thread about Flubsessed-session?:o:

SoxandtheCityTee
05-30-2006, 06:38 PM
So the spectacularly poor play of the Cubs in the past month, and the resulting, sometimes suffocating publicity, produces a little culture war on WSI: ironic. The Cubs have been bad beyond imagination, and some of what has gone on has been truly remarkable. If some other team had been involved, I can easily see their miscues being posted in Talking Baseball.

And if a newspaper columnist in another town solicited interest via email in some other owner buying that townís team, I can see someone posting that here too. When weird things happen in Boston, fenway will post at WSI and the reaction is typically divided between "Who cares about the Sawks?" posts and "Donít read it if you donít like it, I find this stuff interesting (or funny)" posts, and thatís that. But then we donít share a city with the Red Sox.

Itís unrealistic to expect all posters to pretend that what happens to the Cubs happens on another planet, or to the Seattle Mariners. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to read a post that runs all sports coverage through word-count software. So I just wouldnít.

"You Write Tomorrowís Cubune Headlines" succeeds in the middle ground: itís clever, often very funny, and the premise automatically moves people along -- every day there is a new game.

If we donít get a quietly mediocre season from here on out from the Cubs, but more horrible play, somewhat improved play, losing streaks, firings, trades, injuries, God knows what, will we have lots more threads talking about whether we should or shouldnít talk about it or should or shouldnít talk about who is or isnít talking about it and whether they should or shouldn't be? Iím with Mary Swiss, letís get along and enjoy a great season and a great website.

1951Campbell
05-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Keep in mind that the sub-forum is only 16 months old.

True, and by no means are all the posts about the Cubs. This is where ridiculous trade rumors live during the off season.

Anyway, I'll make this my final "lighten up, Francis" to all the finger-waggers yelling "Cubsession" in this thread. Back to our regularly scheduled spasm of:

http://www.sarvananda.com/Images/Joseph%20McCarthy.jpg
"Are you now posting or have you ever posted about the Cubs?"

bennyw41
05-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Wow.
bennyw41, with all due respect, probably pretty much no one at this site gives a rat's fat ass what your "Cub fan friends" think about anything. And neither should you. As far as "combating" them goes, it's simple. Just show them a picture of the World Series trophy. As for the incredibly stupid claim by Cub fans that we care more about them losing than about the Sox winning, just smile, give them an extremely condescending look, and say "Fine." I guarantee it will drive them nuts.:tongue:

If we don't care about others, why do we care about what the Media is reporting?

MarySwiss
05-30-2006, 06:56 PM
If we don't care about others, why do we care about what the Media is reporting?

You're kidding, right?

First, I didn't say we "don't care about others." I said we don't care about your "Cub fan friends." (But I'll take that even further: "anyone's Cub fan friends."

And are you seriously trying to bestow equal weight to what a bunch of inebriated assclowns (read: Cub fans) might say to what is reported daily in the local, widely read rags that Hangar indicts?

Please!

Chisox003
05-30-2006, 06:57 PM
My sentiments exactly.

People here want to fight it by getting the word out on how bad the situation is, while in reality the only way it will be noticed is if nobody pays attention.

How can we do this? I suggest you see Voodoo's thread last season about hitting them where it truly hurts: their pockets.

But folks around here are stubborn and continue to frustrate themselves by giving the radio, news, newspapers and media in general their time, money and ratings. It's pathetic.

Then they come here and post about it, and thusly it proceeds to connect to the Cubs, leading us to this "problem." It needs to stop, honestly. What better place than here, what better time than now?

1 Dog
05-30-2006, 08:07 PM

Not everyone lives in Chicago. The only White Sox games that I see are on WGN or ESPN. In my area, FSN carries all Cardinals games (any blacked-out games and West Coast night games are replayed the next day). Like everyone else with basic cable, I can get the Cubs (WGN) and Braves (WTBS) as well.

My point: I don't post much at the Clubhouse, because I don't always have much to say. I go there to find out what's happening with the team. WTS is more of a free-for-all, and I have more to say.

I find it amazing that the same 3-5 people feel the need to come to WTS and offer nothing except bitching and sarcastic comments about what's being discussed at WTS.

MarySwiss
05-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Not everyone lives in Chicago. The only White Sox games that I see are on WGN or ESPN. In my area, FSN carries all Cardinals games (any blacked-out games and West Coast night games are replayed the next day). Like everyone else with basic cable, I can get the Cubs (WGN) and Braves (WTBS) as well.

My point: I don't post much at the Clubhouse, because I don't always have much to say. I go there to find out what's happening with the team. WTS is more of a free-for-all, and I have more to say.

I find it amazing that the same 3-5 people feel the need to come to WTS and offer nothing except bitching and sarcastic comments about what's being discussed at WTS.

Exactly! And the naysayers need to get over themselves.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-30-2006, 08:39 PM

I hope that wasn't directed at me. I rarely if ever post in this forum. This thread was started in the Parking Lot and moved.

The few times I have commented about cubsession I have posted the cubs are not worth our time or grief (especially after the World Series) and interleague beyond the World Series is garbage.

As far as the media, I have not gone beyond "it is better to ignore / boycott the Tribune and any other media source you have a problem with - they are not going to change until they lose enough money to warrant a change."

When I log onto WSI I review the bold thread titles looking for interesting new threads as well as threads I have read / posted previous.I scan through the boards and when I scanned this one I noticed many new messages whch led to this thread.

I didn't pass judgment or make a comment beyond posting the sad face icon. Also, this thread was not directed at Hanger or anyone else in particular. The 20 threads were posted by 20 or so different posters.

I was just shocked that (so called) White Sox fans had more Cub related stories than White Sox after what I thought was a very exciting weekend of baseball capped by the Sox blowout of Cleveland on Monday (noted in case people didn't get a chance to catch up on Sox related news) .

Again, nothing out of the ordinary happened with the Cubs. They stink as they always stink and some of their fans acted like idiots. Shocking.

Posters here became defensive questioning methodology, stating there is little if any White Sox related news worth commenting on, arguing that WSI actually has more White Sox related posts in an all time count (you don't say), etc. etc..

After reading this thread I am no longer shocked there were / are more Cub threads than Sox threads on White Sox Interactive though I still find it sad and ironic.

1 Dog
05-30-2006, 08:45 PM
I hope that wasn't directed at me.

Nope. I'm talking about a few people who only make sarcastic comments at WTS, no "conversation."

FarWestChicago
05-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Exactly! And the naysayers need to get over themselves.Actually, all of you Flubsessed, walking stereotypes need to get over yourselves. You are embarrassing this site in a big way and I'm getting sick of it. I will put an end to it if it continues.

kittle42
05-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Actually, all of you Flubsessed, walking stereotypes need to get over yourselves. You are embarrassing this site in a big way and I'm getting sick of it. I will put an end to it if it continues.

It's pretty true, West. What is one of the biggest stereotypes of Sox fans? That they care more about the Cubs losing and all things Cub than they do their own team. This particular area of this site often proves it.

I hate Cub fans, too, but you would think after last year, there would be a lot less of this.

1 Dog
05-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Actually, all of you Flubsessed, walking stereotypes need to get over yourselves. You are embarrassing this site in a big way and I'm getting sick of it. I will put an end to it if it continues.

I'll tell you what I am really sick of: Thought Police.

If I get banned for that, so be it. I don't want to be somewhere that feels the need to control what I think and say.

Chisox003
05-30-2006, 10:00 PM

If I get banned for that, so be it. I don't want to be somewhere that feels the need to control what I think and say.
Nobody is controlling what you say, and certainly not what you think.

But c'mon man, look at what's going on here. We're the World Champions and one of the best teams in baseball and some folks around here can't stop posting about the Cubs. That's what it boils down to. Simple. Whether they contribute to Sox discussion or not is neither here nor there; the issue is the fact that the Cubs are a focal point of a forum on WHITE SOX interactive.

P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C

FarWestChicago
05-30-2006, 10:02 PM

If I get banned for that, so be it. I don't want to be somewhere that feels the need to control what I think and say.No problem. I took care of it for you.

BTW, I'm really sick of stupid people.

itsnotrequired
05-30-2006, 10:15 PM
No problem. I took care of it for you.

BTW, I'm really sick of stupid people.

I continue to be amazed at the sense of entitlement some posters feel they have. WSI is not a democracy.

TomBradley72
05-30-2006, 10:31 PM

Sox Clubhouse - 19

So now we're obsessed with the "flubsessed"? Pathetic. Don't read the threads if you're not interested in the topics.

FarWestChicago
05-30-2006, 10:35 PM
So now we're obsessed with the "flubsessed"? Pathetic. Don't read the threads if you're not interested in the topics.No, you are pathetic. Give it a rest or post about the Sox.

TomBradley72
05-30-2006, 10:38 PM

"You are embarrassing this site"?

As if anyone really cares about the random message boards of a site primarily for White Sox fanatics? C'mon...seems like we're starting to take ourselves a little too seriously. It's a website about a baseball team...nothing more...nothing less.

FarWestChicago
05-30-2006, 10:44 PM
"You are embarrassing this site"?

As if anyone really cares about the random message boards of a site primarily for White Sox fanatics? C'mon...seems like we're starting to take ourselves a little too seriously. It's a website about a baseball team...nothing more...nothing less.Fine, then you don't need to be here.

whitesoxwilkes
05-30-2006, 10:57 PM
(and alternately the other team, since no matter how much I change the channel or read the papers, we share the same city with that stupid team)

Remember when those 4 "fans" ran on the field against KC? and another bozo tried to tackle the umpire? ESPN and all the news outlets went hogwild talking about mobrule mentality on the South Side, and SOX fans and the SOX were dealt a huge blackeye media-wise. But then remember some surmised the umpire-tackler may have been a Cub fan ....and when I asked some of the Cops on duty, they confirmed YES INDEED he was a Cub Fan from the game earlier? Remember how we then found out (thru OUTSIDE newsources/non-chicago related) that the other 4 were ALSO Cub Fans who were at Wrigley earlier that day? 2 were brothers? (one was photographed the next day wearing his 21 SOSA jersey!)

In what? Just rehashing old garbage?

I'm giving you a couple weeks off, H. You're the ringleader of the Flubsessed and we're getting sick of it. Sorry man, but it's gotta stop.

DumpJerry
05-30-2006, 11:14 PM

I'm giving you a couple weeks off, H. You're the ringleader of the Flubsessed and we're getting sick of it. Sorry man, but it's gotta stop.
*a quiet and still calm settles in on WSI*

Chips
05-30-2006, 11:19 PM
*a quiet and still calm settles in on WSI*

Yes it will be. At least three folks getting the boot on this thread.

thomas35forever
05-30-2006, 11:26 PM

Why God?????? Why??????????? Not the face of WSI!!!!!!!

Please don't ban me for this.

Jerko
05-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Marlinsbaseball.com doesn't know what's about to hit em.

thomas35forever
05-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Why? Is this his temporary forum?

Chips
05-30-2006, 11:33 PM

The face of WSI?:?:

Lay off the :bong:

beckett21
05-30-2006, 11:38 PM

:redneck

Jerko
05-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Why? Is this his temporary forum?

He went over there a few weeks back with a Trixiegate post and took a little **** for it because it wasn't even during the Cub/Marlin series.

kittle42
05-30-2006, 11:51 PM
He went over there a few weeks back with a Trixiegate post and took a little **** for it because it wasn't even during the Cub/Marlin series.

Holy ****. Why would they care over there?

ilsox7
05-30-2006, 11:56 PM

Hey, if the tinfoil points in a certain direction, one must follow...

Chisox003
05-30-2006, 11:57 PM

:o::o::o::o::o:

:thud:

kittle42
05-31-2006, 12:07 AM

I just read the thread over at the Marlins site...I hate to say it, Hangar, but it really did represent us poorly as Sox fans overall. What could fit more into the stereotype of Sox fans caring about the Cubs more than their own team than going to another team's fansite and bringing up an incident at Wrigley having nothing to do with the Marlins solely to use it as a stumping point for Trib-bashing?

DrCrawdad
05-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Yes it will be. At least three folks getting the boot on this thread.

WARNING: POSTING ON THIS THREAD MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR WSI PRIVILEGES.

:)

Just a joke folks...as I creep back under a rock...

HotelWhiteSox
05-31-2006, 12:23 AM
100 posts in under 12 hours. More extreme, Flubsession, or obsessed with the Flubsessed?

cheeses_h_rice
05-31-2006, 12:24 AM
OK, not really. I can understand the mods' frustration with Henry's, uh, overexuberance, while discussing the North Side team, as it was ratcheting up way over the top this year, a year in which the Flubs SUCK (but then again, maybe that's why -- it is frustrating to hear the sad excuses the radio and press media have for why they continue to flubsess on Carrie Woods' elbow, etc. etc. ad nauseum). But Henry's always been a standup guy in my eyes, fun to hang around with, and when he directs his energies positively toward the Sox, there's nothing to argue about.

Godspeed, Hangar, and do come back.

DrCrawdad
05-31-2006, 12:29 AM
OK, not really. I can understand the mods' frustration with Henry's, uh, overexuberance, while discussing the North Side team, as it was ratcheting up way over the top this year, a year in which the Flubs SUCK (but then again, maybe that's why -- it is frustrating to hear the sad excuses the radio and press media have for why they continue to flubsess on Carrie Woods' elbow, etc. etc. ad nauseum). But Henry's always been a standup guy in my eyes, fun to hang around with, and when he directs his energies positively toward the Sox, there's nothing to argue about.

I agree.

TheDarkGundam
05-31-2006, 12:35 AM
Wow. The dust has settled. The halls of WSI have been shaken.
The Mods have spoken and they have made their point clear.
Give it a rest or post about the Sox. Hopefully we have all learned from this ban. Flubsession = Very bad
I do second what Cheeses said though.

I also have the strangest feeling that there won't be too many posts in WTS for a while...

kittle42
05-31-2006, 01:27 AM

Agreed as well.

gbergman
05-31-2006, 02:09 AM
wow. when you say in your post "i dont care if they ban me" you deserve the ban(I put that in a post in March , and I was banned and i did deserve as i did the other 8 times or so). 3-4 Bans 1 thread new record?

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-31-2006, 08:36 AM
Wow...I had to go to my daughter's 6th grade awards night last night and due to some problems with my internet connection, I missed this....

Wow.

Rest up H.

GoSox2K3
05-31-2006, 08:53 AM
So, who are the mods going to assign to be in charge of the daily media watch while Hangar is gone?

Hitmen77
05-31-2006, 09:17 AM
It's a good thing I decided yesterday to hold off on starting an Attendance-Sosa Sighting-Mariotti-Trixiegate-Brokearm Mtn.-Cubs Promotion Schedule superthread.

Frater Perdurabo
05-31-2006, 09:21 AM
So, who are the mods going to assign to be in charge of the daily media watch while Hangar is gone?

:rolling:

George Knue is now in charge.

:knue
"Scoreboard! Tribune 1, Hangar 0."

In all seriousness, we miss you already, Hangar.

Palehose13
05-31-2006, 10:09 AM
wow. when you say in your post "i dont care if they ban me" you deserve the ban(I put that in a post in March , and I was banned and i did deserve as i did the other 8 times or so). 3-4 Bans 1 thread new record?

IIRC, no record. I think we slaughtered a bunch of dark clouds in a post game thread back in September.

Late spring cleaning? I like it. Flubsession has to end. It's a nasty virus that apparently spreads quickly.

The Dude
05-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Give it a rest or post about the Sox.

I couldnt agree more and try to encourage all my family and friends to do the same with regard to being a Sox fan and ignoring the Cubs. :gulp:

daveeym
05-31-2006, 10:36 AM
My sentiments exactly.

People here want to fight it by getting the word out on how bad the situation is, while in reality the only way it will be noticed is if nobody pays attention.

How can we do this? I suggest you see Voodoo's thread last season about hitting them where it truly hurts: their pockets.

But folks around here are stubborn and continue to frustrate themselves by giving the radio, news, newspapers and media in general their time, money and ratings. It's pathetic.

Then they come here and post about it, and thusly it proceeds to connect to the Cubs, leading us to this "problem." It needs to stop, honestly. What better place than here, what better time than now? All this from a guy who has a Brantley disrespect quote as his signature. Seems someone here cares about the media as well.

Palehose13
05-31-2006, 10:40 AM
All this from a guy who has a Brantley disrespect quote as his signature. Seems someone here cares about the media as well.

At least his quote is about the White Sox. I believe his sentiments in regards to the media have to do with the "media watch" obsession and the cubs.

PaulDrake
05-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Rivalries bring out the best and worst in fans and among the competitors themselves. Michigan vs Ohio State, Auburn vs Alabama, USC vs UCLA, Steelers and Browns, Yankees and Red Sox, the list is long. Here in the Palmetto state, my home the last three years the Clemson vs South Carolina feud borders on the insane at times. The great wise men who run MLB have made interleague play a reality, so instead of the Twins, Tigers and Indians, a huge amount of interest and energy is directed towards that north side team. Who should be surprised that some of that energy, positve and negative is going to find its way to a forum like this? If you think it's bad now, what do you think it would be like if we played them when something really important was at stake? All of this controversy in the context of the Sox still as serious underdogs in their own home town. Of course some will take this and run with it. "Flubsessed", "Dark Cloud" and other labels attached to people because they feel a certain way at a given place in time, can be an unfair stereotype. Sports brings out the ancient tribal us vs them that lies in all of us. Everybody here wants to see the Sox remain a baseball power for a long time to come. Events have made our in city rivals seem more in the way than ever, even though we just won the World Series. That's just the way it is.

ws05champs
05-31-2006, 11:35 AM
I've been watching what has been happening on this thread in a state of amazement. Now that the dust has settled a bit I think I can see the point. When I was a kid (I'm 52 so it was a while back) growing up on the Northwest side not too far from Wrigley there didn't seem to be much hostility between Sox and Cubs fans.

Of course as time went on things changed and got worse. Then last year something incredibly wonderful happened, the Sox were on the way to winning the world series. I was locked in to the Sox and did not care at all about any other team except for our direct competition. It was great. As this season started the feeling continued. Yet somewhere along the line I started paying some attention to the Cubs and becoming flubcessed. And it did not make be feel better. It diverted my attention from the Sox. While I thought it was innocent fun, some serious Sox fans didn't. Looking back on it now, the serious Sox fans are right. Flubcession serves no good purpose.

My only question at this point is why allow any discussion of the Cubs on WSI at all, except for when it has to do with games being played against the Sox? It does get confusing when some things are tolerated and others not without clear guidelines.

patbooyah
05-31-2006, 11:41 AM
But Henry's always been a standup guy in my eyes, fun to hang around with, and when he directs his energies positively toward the Sox, there's nothing to argue about.

amen. henry is one of the nicest people i've met.

i have already put on a black veil and i am about to go light a candle.

EDIT: http://www.dickinson.edu/nectfl/black-ribbon.gif that is the URL of a black ribbon that i encourage everyone to put in their sig out of respect until henry returns. :cool: you might not like his cub-talk, but you have to respect the man!

daveeym
05-31-2006, 12:24 PM

EDIT: http://www.dickinson.edu/nectfl/black-ribbon.gif that is the URL of a black ribbon that i encourage everyone to put in their sig out of respect until henry returns. :cool: you might not like his cub-talk, but you have to respect the man!:o: I'm in.

Hitmen77
05-31-2006, 12:27 PM
My only question at this point is why allow any discussion of the Cubs on WSI at all, except for when it has to do with games being played against the Sox? It does get confusing when some things are tolerated and others not without clear guidelines.

I wouldn't want all Cubs discussion shut down altogether. We talk about the other 28 teams on the Talking Baseball forum. So, a comparable amount of Cubs discussion could be tolerated.

Also, there are some topics that are hard to ignore - like when Hendry and McPhail call Tribune reports to their offices to put a leash on them.

But, I agree that the Cubsession has gotten out of hand. It's one thing to say something new and original - but to bring up the same issues over and over, day after day gets old.

Hitmen77
05-31-2006, 12:28 PM

EDIT: http://www.dickinson.edu/nectfl/black-ribbon.gif that is the URL of a black ribbon that i encourage everyone to put in their sig out of respect until henry returns. :cool: you might not like his cub-talk, but you have to respect the man!

That's great - I love that sig!

Iwritecode
05-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Is this really a 5-page thread about Flubsessed-session?:o:

I only see 4 pages. Your post is only on the second. :cool:

Iwritecode
05-31-2006, 12:49 PM

I think the parking lot has so many posts because quite simply, people like to talk about themselves. Thus the reason for so many "what's your favorite" threads.

patbooyah
05-31-2006, 12:54 PM
I think the parking lot has so many posts because quite simply, people like to talk about themselves.

i don't know if that's true. i mean, i think you might be missing the point. point. let me give you some background on me. i grew up in the suburbs. i was born on april 28th, 1981. i believe at 10:13 pm. when i showed up i was crying. i was also covered in ****. it was a high pitched wail. the doctor gave me a firm pat on the bottom. he cut my umbilical cord and my penis. i continued to cry. they cleaned me off. it was a really interesting experience...

gobears1987
05-31-2006, 12:57 PM
This thread has turned into one disaster.

CLR01
05-31-2006, 01:10 PM

The ribbon should be blue.

patbooyah
05-31-2006, 01:15 PM
The ribbon should be blue.

oh, i'm not protesting or fighting against henry's ban (i assume you said blue because of digital rights). everyone knows that this site is not a democracy and that really the mods can do whatever they want (rightfully so). i'm sporting my ribbon out of memory and respect to hanger, not in protest.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2006, 01:16 PM
I can only state what matters to me....and that's the White Sox. Period.

I don't care about the Cubs, I don't care what the media does or does not say about the White Sox (and I'm IN the media...)

I only care about the Sox winning and staying consistent over a long season.

You want to talk about the bullpen issues...or the defense that has gone south since last season...or the lack of clutch hitting...or the troubles with left handers...fine, I'm in.

You want to talk about 'column inches,' number of photos, number of stories or how much air time Mike Murphy gives to the Cubs?

No thanks.

Just WIN games...that's ALL that matters. (The writing style is my tribute to Hangar...a good guy despite his misconceptions.)

Lip

peeonwrigley
05-31-2006, 01:18 PM
oh, i'm not protesting or fighting against henry's ban (i assume you said blue because of digital rights). everyone knows that this site is not a democracy and that really the mods can do whatever they want (rightfully so). i'm sporting my ribbon out of memory and respect to hanger, not in protest.

I think he meant Cubbie Blue.

spiffie
05-31-2006, 01:43 PM
You want to talk about the bullpen issues...or the defense that has gone south since last season...or the lack of clutch hitting...or the troubles with left handers...fine, I'm in.
So you're saying you want to be a dark cloud instead of flubsessed?

SoxFan76
05-31-2006, 01:53 PM
God forbid we talk about one of our rivals. I mean they only play in the same city. :rolleyes:

The media bias seems to be even more out of control since October 26th. (Well not counting the next week or 2 after they won, that was all Sox news). Are we just supposed to sit back and take it? Last year I remember the papers heard about Hangar's media watches. They took notice. You have to make your voice heard, you can't sit back and let the Cubbie loving media do whatever they want.

Johnny Mostil
05-31-2006, 01:57 PM
I can only state what matters to me....and that's the White Sox. Period.

I don't care about the Cubs, I don't care what the media does or does not say about the White Sox (and I'm IN the media...)

I only care about the Sox winning and staying consistent over a long season.

You want to talk about 'column inches,' number of photos, number of stories or how much air time Mike Murphy gives to the Cubs?

No thanks.

Just WIN games...that's ALL that matters. (The writing style is my tribute to Hangar...a good guy despite his misconceptions.)

Lip

I tend to agree with this. Still, there does seem to be a legitimate concern about how the two teams are covered and how this affects them--or, more to the point, how it can adversely affect the Sox and their fan base. It isn't something I follow closely. But I can't be surprised or upset about it on a site designed to raise the profile of the Sox and the team's fan base on the web and elsewhere.

Having said that, I'll add that some of the excuses offered for recent flubsession--e.g., that this year the Cubs are really down deep in the crapper and are even more comical than usual--strike me as a little weird, maybe even hypocritical. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Lip Man, but such excuses sound like what your WSCR friend said to justify more coverage of that team in comments--promptly and justifiably (IMHO) picked apart--you reported a few weeks ago, no?

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2006, 01:58 PM
God forbid we talk about one of our rivals. I mean they only play in the same city. :rolleyes:

The problem was that they were getting more talk time on the Sox board then the Sox were.

Palehose13
05-31-2006, 02:20 PM

Rivals? You're kidding right? Before interleague play the only time a Sox-Cubs game mattered was 1906.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Here's the issue that I have with the media rants....is complaining on the boards here at WSI doing one iota of good? Is it changing anything?

I seriously doubt it.

Am I saying there isn't a bias? No, of course not. Just the fact that the Tribune Company owns the Cubs is an apparant conflict of interest and in my mind that's enough to make owning the team morally wrong.

But bitching and moaning here at WSI isn't going to change one damn thing.

If you feel this is a legitimate issue (and I can certainly see that) then what you need to do is take your complaints to the people who CAN change things...the media outlets themselves and the companies that sponsor them.

Get a thousand of your closest friends together and all e-mail the Tribune, or WSCR radio or whomever.

Get five thousand of your closest friends and boycott whomever is helping to sponsor say the Mike Murphy Show demanding equal coverage.

THAT may get action.

Telling us how many stories the Tribune has on the Sox vs. the Cubs (and with no clear definition of the parameters to start with) accomplishes nothing in my opinion. Telling us there is a bias accomplishes nothing because we already know this!

The powers that be, may see the issues from visiting here but without mass direct action it accomplishes nothing.

In fact sometimes (like with the Cubs 90 win season and the playoff game to get to the playoffs rant) it makes some folks look really foolish.

Lip

Chip Z'nuff
05-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Rivals? You're kidding right? Before interleague play the only time a Sox-Cubs game mattered was 1906.

Only on the field of play, the fan rivalry is something we live with on a daily basis (and always have even before interleague play)

kittle42
05-31-2006, 02:26 PM
A poster on the Marlins site said it best. Basically, the Cubs are viewed nationally (and locally by the majority) as "Chicago's team" - the "lovable losers" (in a city which, by the way, has [generally] accepted losing for decades in all sports), and as the hip and cool team to follow.

The Sox just won a world series, but winning one season may start to change things, but won't suffice itself. You can't expect radical change in opinion to come overnight. If the Sox keep posting quality seasons, and if the Cubs keep faltering, things will swing back the way they were before the era of the "Cub Fan, Bud Man."

But in the meantime, get off it and worry about the Sox. Not other people's perception of the Sox. Not the media's portrayal of the Sox. Worry about your team WINNING or LOSING - that is one thing Sox fans always have over the majority of the other side of town. This constant beating a dead horse just speaks poorly for an entire Sox fanbase - a fanbase which used to be perceived as whiners, which is now perceived as pompous whiners. It's almost as pathetic as donning a Dustiny t-shirt and helping one of the worst teams in baseball set an attendance record for a three-game series this past weekend.

zmz723
05-31-2006, 02:29 PM
5/31/06 1:29 pm

people viewing sox clubhouse: 62
people viewing talking baseball: 11
people viewing Whats the Score: 20
people viewing Parking Lot: 23

Palehose13
05-31-2006, 02:31 PM
But in the meantime, get off it and worry about the Sox. Not other people's perception of the Sox. Not the media's portrayal of the Sox. Worry about your team WINNING or LOSING - that is one thing Sox fans always have over the majority of the other side of town. This constant beating a dead horse just speaks poorly for an entire Sox fanbase - a fanbase which used to be perceived as whiners, which is now perceived as pompous whiners. It's almost as pathetic as donning a Dustiny t-shirt and helping one of the worst teams in baseball set an attendance record for a three-game series this past weekend.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

batmanZoSo
05-31-2006, 02:35 PM
This thread is hilarious. Seriously, people, get over the cubs. That team is so horribly unimportant in my eyes, I couldn't even tell you their starting lineup. I pay as much attention to them as I do the Colorado Rockies, i.e. none.

Johnny Mostil
05-31-2006, 02:35 PM
5/31/06 1:29 pm

people viewing sox clubhouse: 62
people viewing talking baseball: 11
people viewing Whats the Score: 20
people viewing Parking Lot: 23

Woo-hoo! More attention for the Sox! :supernana:

Who says rants about coverage have no effect?

Time for me to get over there . . .

Baby Fisk
05-31-2006, 02:37 PM
This thread is hilarious. Seriously, people, get over the cubs. That team is so horribly unimportant in my eyes, I couldn't even tell you their starting lineup. I pay as much attention to them as I do the Colorado Rockies, i.e. none.
I've been guilty of enjoying a good Cub implosion or two online. This doesn't mean I'm flubsessed, I just like good comedy. Once the Sox game is on, the rest of the universe stops.

champagne030
05-31-2006, 02:40 PM

:?: It seems you want to ingore other people's perception of the Sox, but then worry about other people's perception of the the Sox fanbase.

longshot7
05-31-2006, 02:41 PM

What about all those Crosstown Classic games?

As to the bannings, is there a place or a posting that posters can refer to as a rule of thumb when wondering if a post or an opinion will get them banned?

I mean, I believe we all know about language and flaming rules, but what about other reasons?

Maybe that would help.

Hitmen77
05-31-2006, 02:45 PM
I think he meant Cubbie Blue.

That's how I understood it.

Palehose13
05-31-2006, 02:47 PM
What about all those Crosstown Classic games?

As to the bannings, is there a place or a posting that posters can refer to as a rule of thumb when wondering if a post or an opinion will get them banned?

I mean, I believe we all know about language and flaming rules, but what about other reasons?

Maybe that would help.

The crosstown classic games didn't count. They were exhibition games.

Here is the list that you were asking for. It is stuck in the clubhouse.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49958

patbooyah
05-31-2006, 02:48 PM
That's how I understood it.

well, i guess that "joke" was a bit of a think piece for me.

batmanZoSo
05-31-2006, 02:50 PM
I've been guilty of enjoying a good Cub implosion or two online. This doesn't mean I'm flubsessed, I just like good comedy. Once the Sox game is on, the rest of the universe stops.

Pfft. You're flubsessed and you're going to hell. :D:

viagracat
05-31-2006, 02:53 PM
My first and last post in this thread:

Most of you are long-time Sox fans and thus clearly understand the blatant disrespect that the team got from everybody in this town--the media, the fans, etc--particularly before last year. When the Sox were nothing special in terms of how they played, the Cubs were shoved down my throat every day because the Sox offered no clear alternative to anybody except their hard-core fans like me. I was admittedly "flubsessed" and very frustrated. The Cubs were, and probably still are, the 900-pound gorilla in Chicago (well, maybe the gorilla has slimmed down to 700 pounds by now) :cool: .

Last year the Sox stepped up and Sox Pride became obvious. We celebrated thier success and for the first time in a long time the glory was focused on the Sox. And we all here at WSI truly basked in that success. I imagine WTS was very quiet last October, but as I was not active in WSI at the time, I can only hope that statement is true.

But it's also true that some of the old hard feelings still linger, which, of course, is perpetuated by some in the local media even now. I don't think the media bias is as blatant as some guys like Hangar think, but I do believe it exists nonetheless. It's still a Cub town even after the Sox' WS win last year.

People on this board note that it will take at least a couple championships, or at least highly successful seasons by the Sox, for them to pull even in Chicago. To parallel that thought, it will also take a couple championships or highly succesful seasons by the Sox to purge the Flubsession poison from the systems of some people.

So yes, preferably the posts will gravitate toward the Sox and thier success and away from the Cubs and all their issues as the Sox continue to succeed. But it's unrealistic, considering the continuing bias in Chicago, to expect the bitterness to completely go away. Give it time. But keep it under control, and for God's sake don't troll other forums with anti-Cub rants. That is embarrassing.

My two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Hitmen77
05-31-2006, 02:56 PM
The problem was that they were getting more talk time on the Sox board then the Sox were.

Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration?

Whenever I have paid attention, the Clubhouse board has many more posts than WTS. Many threads there end up in triple digits in posts while here, I usually see at most a couple dozen.

spiffie
05-31-2006, 02:59 PM
A poster on the Marlins site said it best. Basically, the Cubs are viewed nationally (and locally by the majority) as "Chicago's team" - the "lovable losers" (in a city which, by the way, has [generally] accepted losing for decades in all sports), and as the hip and cool team to follow.

The Sox just won a world series, but winning one season may start to change things, but won't suffice itself. You can't expect radical change in opinion to come overnight. If the Sox keep posting quality seasons, and if the Cubs keep faltering, things will swing back the way they were before the era of the "Cub Fan, Bud Man."

Now why did you have to go and bring the Cubs into this? Obsess much?

Hitmen77
05-31-2006, 03:01 PM
well, i guess that "joke" was a bit of a think piece for me.

I still crack up when I see your new sig. That's great!

I've never met Henry, but I've always enjoyed his friendly demeanor on this site. Here's hoping that he returns here soon tanned, rested, and a little less over the top.

Dan Mega
05-31-2006, 03:03 PM
I think its safe to say the Sox win in the popularity contest:
http://www.geocities.com/mr_patriots/churchsign.jpg

Michelle
05-31-2006, 03:10 PM
This thread has turned into one disaster.
Yep, 11 pages to debate a set of rules that, the last time I checked, were not negotiable.

Baby Fisk
05-31-2006, 03:14 PM
Yep, 11 pages to debate a set of rules that, the last time I checked, were not negotiable.
Debate is fine, but that doesn't mean the folks in charge need to give a **** about it. :cool:

Jjav829
05-31-2006, 03:34 PM

Even tonight? Pedro vs. Webb is on at the same time. :o:

SoxFan76
05-31-2006, 03:37 PM
PH13, come on now. You're from Chicago. I've been arguing with Cub fans for as long as I can remember, starting with my mom's side of the family all the way through going to school with kids from Oswego. Maybe you never had to deal with it before you moved north? The Cubs and Sox are rivals, sorry mods. I know it's soooo embarassing.

And Baby Fisk, I'm with you. I don't talk about the Cubs a lot, but I do read all of the stuff Hangar writes and I enjoy it. I enjoy him calling out the media. But as soon as postgame live hits, I'm all about the Sox and Tigers (or Indians or Twins, whatever). To accuse the "flubssesed" of being any less of a White Sox fan than anyone else is...well...stupid.

Palehose13
05-31-2006, 03:42 PM
PH13, come on now. You're from Chicago. I've been arguing with Cub fans for as long as I can remember, starting with my mom's side of the family all the way through going to school with kids from Oswego. Maybe you never had to deal with it before you moved north? The Cubs and Sox are rivals, sorry mods. I know it's soooo embarassing.

And Baby Fisk, I'm with you. I don't talk about the Cubs a lot, but I do read all of the stuff Hangar writes and I enjoy it. I enjoy him calling out the media. But as soon as postgame live hits, I'm all about the Sox and Tigers (or Indians or Twins, whatever). To accuse the "flubssesed" of being any less of a White Sox fan than anyone else is...well...stupid.

As stated earlier, there is a rivalry among the fans, but there is no historic rivalry between the teams like Yankees/Red Sox.

MadetoOrta
05-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Here's the issue that I have with the media rants....is complaining on the boards here at WSI doing one iota of good? Is it changing anything?

I seriously doubt it.

Am I saying there isn't a bias? No, of course not. Just the fact that the Tribune Company owns the Cubs is an apparant conflict of interest and in my mind that's enough to make owning the team morally wrong.

But bitching and moaning here at WSI isn't going to change one damn thing.

If you feel this is a legitimate issue (and I can certainly see that) then what you need to do is take your complaints to the people who CAN change things...the media outlets themselves and the companies that sponsor them.

Get a thousand of your closest friends together and all e-mail the Tribune, or WSCR radio or whomever.

Get five thousand of your closest friends and boycott whomever is helping to sponsor say the Mike Murphy Show demanding equal coverage.

THAT may get action.

Telling us how many stories the Tribune has on the Sox vs. the Cubs (and with no clear definition of the parameters to start with) accomplishes nothing in my opinion. Telling us there is a bias accomplishes nothing because we already know this!

The powers that be, may see the issues from visiting here but without mass direct action it accomplishes nothing.

In fact sometimes (like with the Cubs 90 win season and the playoff game to get to the playoffs rant) it makes some folks look really foolish.

Lip

Lip,

I've made the same suggestion any number of times. Sending posts back and forth here changes nothing.

MTO

SoxFan76
05-31-2006, 03:45 PM
As stated earlier, there is a rivalry among the fans, but there is no historic rivalry between the teams like Yankees/Red Sox.

No, there isn't. There's still a rivalry between the fans, and the cross town series has had some interesting stories over the years.

Why is it a crime to hate a rival team. The Packers don't bother me but I don't tell Bears fans that they are embarassing because they hate the Packers so much.

Chisox003
05-31-2006, 03:52 PM
No, there isn't. There's still a rivalry between the fans, and the cross town series has had some interesting stories over the years.

Why is it a crime to hate a rival team. The Packers don't bother me but I don't tell Bears fans that they are embarassing because they hate the Packers so much.
Um, completely different.

The Packers directly effect what the Bears do in a season.

If the Cubs played in the AL Central, it'd be a different story.

They don't, which makes them completely irrelevant.

SoxFan76
05-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Um, completely different.

The Packers directly effect what the Bears do in a season.

If the Cubs played in the AL Central, it'd be a different story.

They don't, which makes them completely irrelevant.

The Cubs and their fans affect every Sox fan's life living in Chicago day after day. Whether it be the Tribune saying the south side is one big ghetto, or sports radio talking about the Cubs for hours upon hours, or Mark Giangreco showing Sox Park 3 hours before first pitch to make it seem like we have no fans, or the Cub fans themselves claiming they made up the 7th inning stretch and saying the Sox "cheated" to win a World Series.

I've even had a Cub fan claim he doesn't hate the Sox, he just hates the fans.

ilsox7
05-31-2006, 04:13 PM
The Cubs and their fans affect every Sox fan's life living in Chicago day after day. Whether it be the Tribune saying the south side is one big ghetto, or sports radio talking about the Cubs for hours upon hours, or Mark Giangreco showing Sox Park 3 hours before first pitch to make it seem like we have no fans, or the Cub fans themselves claiming they made up the 7th inning stretch and saying the Sox "cheated" to win a World Series.

I've even had a Cub fan claim he doesn't hate the Sox, he just hates the fans.

It only impacts your life if you let it.

Johnny Mostil
05-31-2006, 04:18 PM

There are two things that puzzle me about the 89-or-90-in-'98 rants . . .

(1) Until I started reading those rants, I had almost no idea how many games the Cubs won in '98 (and, while I may not be a smart fan, I don't think I'm an ignorant one). I knew they won enough to squeak into the playoffs, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you if they won 89 or 90 (or 88 or 91, etc.). Considering they got stomped by the Braves, I'm still not sure it matters. Which brings me to my next point . . .

(2) Chicago must be one of the few places where a 90-win season is seen as a hallmark of excellence, or where four such seasons since 1990 is worth much bragging. In New York, the Yankees have had (assuming I'm counting this right!) nine such seasons, and the Mets three. In So Cal, the Dodgers have had four such seasons, and the Angels three. In the Bay Area, the Giants and the Athletics have had seven each. I doubt the number of 90-win seasons (rather than, say, the number of playoff or even World Series appearances) each team has had really matters to fans in these cities. I also doubt fans of the Red Sox, Indians, Twins, Mariners, Braves, and Cardinals--all teams (and maybe some that I'm missing) have won 90 games more often than the Sox since 1990--think much about their number of 90-win seasons . . .

Chip Z'nuff
05-31-2006, 04:20 PM

People have been brutally beaten and probably killed defending the honor of their favorite Chicago Baseball Team. I predict this thread will go on for infinity without ever coming to a conclusion to the age old question...
"Are you less of a Sox fan for hating the Cubs?"

Chisox003
05-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Bingo.

If you let it get to you, it's going to continue.

GoSox2K3
05-31-2006, 04:25 PM
....I've even had a Cub fan claim he doesn't hate the Sox, he just hates the fans.

-and the Sun-Times ran an editorial right after the World Series written by a priest that said the same thing - that he didn't hate the Sox, he just hates Sox fans.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-31-2006, 04:34 PM
-and the Sun-Times ran an editorial right after the World Series written by a priest that said the same thing - that he didn't hate the Sox, he just hates Sox fans.

He is not much of a priest (in the eyes of the Roman Catholic Church if he hasn't be excommunicated yet) and it wasn't much of an editorial (though it was par for the course for the Sun Times and "Father" Greeley) the lowlight of which was his bigoted comments toward the "Shanty Irish" as he calls Catholics / White Sox fans south of Madison Ave..

White Sox fans took the high, Christian road in responding to his "editorial". I suggest we do the same.

longshot7
05-31-2006, 04:50 PM
The crosstown classic games didn't count. They were exhibition games.

Here is the list that you were asking for. It is stuck in the clubhouse.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49958

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. I've read it before, but upon re-read, I noticed that nothing in it specifically says anything about over-posting about the Cubs. And while I certainly won't argue against the mods' right to ban anyone they please, it seems that sometimes that posters are banned for seemingly arbitrary reasons not mentioned in this posted Code of Conduct.

It also says that posters often will be warned that they are close to being banned. I can't speak for Hangar, but I know the time I was banned I wasn't warned beforehand. I absolutely agree with no. 10 - that everyone should be treated with respect. We posters appreciate the time everyone who works at this site puts in - even if we don't show it sometimes, (maybe this a good time to plug your cafepress store!), but sometimes it seems (and this is just my opinion), that the respect doesn't extend both ways. Thanks for your time.

Fuller_Schettman
05-31-2006, 05:04 PM
I can't believe I wasted 15 minutes of my life reading this thread- all just to find out why Hangar got the hook.

I have 2 thoughts:

Thought A: It was either Shakespeare or Diane from Cheers that said it best: "The opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference."

Thought 2: Maybe "What's the Score" needs to be given a couple of weeks off...

I have nothing further

MadetoOrta
05-31-2006, 05:56 PM
The Italians have a word for this moment in time - BASTA. "Enough" in English. I spent time in Rome during college and when a local said basta, you changed the subject.

santo=dorf
05-31-2006, 05:59 PM
I just read the thread over at the Marlins site...I hate to say it, Hangar, but it really did represent us poorly as Sox fans overall. What could fit more into the stereotype of Sox fans caring about the Cubs more than their own team than going to another team's fansite and bringing up an incident at Wrigley having nothing to do with the Marlins solely to use it as a stumping point for Trib-bashing?
It's even worse considering Hangar is always flipping out about the Hee Flop-Lee trade and he wants the franchise contracted. :rolleyes:

miker
05-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Boy, do I feel like I just missed a fun party...

A quick read of this thread sort of indicates that in true Internet fashion we haven't resolved anything but there are plenty of bruised egos.

And making a comment on the the Chicago National League Ball Club will in some eyes either make you a hero, make you a pariah or get you banned here, regardless of how much the Chicago sports media and fandom shoves them down your throat.

So I guess its back to the 2006 White Sox season -- already in progress.

Palehose13
05-31-2006, 07:36 PM
Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. I've read it before, but upon re-read, I noticed that nothing in it specifically says anything about over-posting about the Cubs. And while I certainly won't argue against the mods' right to ban anyone they please, it seems that sometimes that posters are banned for seemingly arbitrary reasons not mentioned in this posted Code of Conduct.

It also says that posters often will be warned that they are close to being banned. I can't speak for Hangar, but I know the time I was banned I wasn't warned beforehand. I absolutely agree with no. 10 - that everyone should be treated with respect. We posters appreciate the time everyone who works at this site puts in - even if we don't show it sometimes, (maybe this a good time to plug your cafepress store!), but sometimes it seems (and this is just my opinion), that the respect doesn't extend both ways. Thanks for your time.

What were you banned for? If it was language filter violation, attendance, or anything listed before the "getting out of hand" code, a poster is banned without warning. I believe Hangar was contacted by a mod either via PM or e-mail asking to tone it down before he got his little vacation.

In regards to your statement about respect, I think a good number of bans without warning are because of disrespecting one of the mods.

DrCrawdad
05-31-2006, 07:49 PM
What were you banned for? If it was language filter violation, attendance, or anything listed before the "getting out of hand" code, a poster is banned without warning. I believe Hangar was contacted by a mod either via PM or e-mail asking to tone it down before he got his little vacation.

In regards to your statement about respect, I think a good number of bans without warning are because of disrespecting one of the mods.

It's PHG's & West's dime and their dance floor, to quote Chet Coppock. I like Hangar and look forward to his return. Until then, I'd like to have a bit of fun with the matter, hence my temporary signature.

FarWestChicago
05-31-2006, 09:04 PM
It also says that posters often will be warned that they are close to being banned.Everybody who got whacked in this thread was clearly warned. There are a few more of you who now deserve to be banned. Because I'm a nice guy I'm closing the thread and giving the offenders a pass. But, that is the end of the subject. Any more defenses of Flubsessive behavior will result in immediate whacking. Everybody has been more than adequately warned.