PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Slogan/Ad Campaign

ws05champs
05-30-2006, 10:06 AM
In looking at the Sox ads so far this year I seem to be missing if there is an overall slogan like last year's "Win or Die Trying." Am I missing something or do others notice it too?

Also all the ads look way too similar to me this year. They have a montage of great stop action clips from last year, with a grinder rule and ticket purchase info all done up in "grunge" look that seems a bit dated. I kind of liked the very first one of the series but I find the continuation of it is getting kind of boring. I notice that it is a Sox ad and rarely pay attention beyond that.

Last year it was always fun and interesting to see how the Sox players would "die" while trying and then get sent back. I especially like the angel with an attitude that Buehrle had to deal with. And of course who can forget Rowand's ordeal.

We are almost into June and except for the very first ad at the beginning of the year, there really doesn't seem to be any "buzz" about them here on the WSI Forums. Last year IIRC there was a lot of buzz about the 2005 campaign.

Anyone else not as enthusiastic about this year's ads so far?

SweetnesSox
05-30-2006, 10:51 AM
This is really a big problem for you, huh? The ads really pumped you up or something? I thought the "dying" ads were stupid. I guess I just don't care enough about it.

hawkjt
05-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Call me easy but everytime I see highlights from out first world series championship season in these ads- I do get pumped.

I think maybe you can get away with featuring the best season in almost 90 years for at least one season immediately following that season.

Now if they feature them for the next 90 years- it will get old.

IlliniSox4Life
05-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Wow, iI think you are way off. The ads are great. Don't think of win or die trying as a slogan for 2005, think of it as a slogan for this team. The grinder rules are basically a written collection of what makes Ozzie ball, well, Ozzie ball. The slogan/campaign can carry as long as the team keeps the attitude they have.

Also, regarding players dying, call me crazy, but I like to think of my players as living. I think that was the one bad thing about the campaign last year, and I think even TwoxFour has said something along those lines. The worst part was Rowand having made a deal with the devil. What?

There's not as much buzz about the ads because the team is good enough that we can talk about them and not the advertisements. Why would hardcore fans waste time talking about ads not really directed at them (they are directed at nonfans/casual fans) when we can talk about the team?

ws05champs
05-30-2006, 12:48 PM
This is really a big problem for you, huh? The ads really pumped you up or something? I thought the "dying" ads were stupid. I guess I just don't care enough about it.

No, not a big problem for me. Yet, I do enjoy seeing great creative, which I felt was contained in last year's campaign. So yes I do like Sox ads that "pump me up or something."

cbotnyse
05-30-2006, 12:58 PM
I personally did not like the "win or die trying" ads...I think maybe the death image turned me off....but I do like the ads this year with all of the WS clips and such...and the "again" ad was great.

ws05champs
05-30-2006, 02:25 PM
The slogan/campaign can carry as long as the team keeps the attitude they have.

Also, regarding players dying, call me crazy, but I like to think of my players as living. I think that was the one bad thing about the campaign last year, and I think even TwoxFour has said something along those lines. The worst part was Rowand having made a deal with the devil. What?

There's not as much buzz about the ads because the team is good enough that we can talk about them and not the advertisements. Why would hardcore fans waste time talking about ads not really directed at them (they are directed at nonfans/casual fans) when we can talk about the team?

Yeah I had a problem with the dying thing too and Mark IIRC violated the time/space continuum (that's why I had die in quotes). Aaron actually defeated (not made a deal) the devil by pointing out he caught the ball forcing the devil to send him back.

I love seeing the scenes from last year also but my point is the commercials just seem to much alike. The bottom line is: Are they helping to sell the remaining seats? I don't know. I think they would be noticed more if they were not so similar.

But my major point and the prime reason for starting this thread is that I would sure like a clear slogan (tagline/theme whatever you want to call it) for this year, provided it is as good or better than last year. I'm just not sure if it does not exist or I have missed it. We will always remember the teams associated with "Winnin Ugly," "Southside Hitmen" and "Win or Die Trying." And that is why I feel the topic is worth the discussion here. Of course we will always forget the "Kids Can Play," "Come to Play" and in my mind the all time worst "Anything Can Happen" teams.

Palehose13
05-30-2006, 02:33 PM
I love seeing the scenes from last year also but my point is the commercials just seem to much alike. The bottom line is: Are they helping to sell the remaining seats? I don't know. I think they would be noticed more if they were not so similar.

Here's the bottom line from the commercials:
2007 Season Ticket waiting list

:cool:

FedEx227
05-30-2006, 02:39 PM
I actually like this years better, from a production value these ones are MUCH MUCH better. And that whole dying thing really didn't do it for me. To me its the same buzz this year as last year.

batmanZoSo
05-30-2006, 02:48 PM
The way I look at this is the way I look at restaurants--the really good ones don't need to do commercials.

Product and word of mouth, that's all that matters.

HomeFish
05-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Of course we will always forget the "Kids Can Play,"

I'm not forgetting the 2000 "Kids Can Play" team.

SweetnesSox
05-30-2006, 06:04 PM
No, not a big problem for me. Yet, I do enjoy seeing great creative, which I felt was contained in last year's campaign. So yes I do like Sox ads that "pump me up or something."

if you need ads to pump you up to watch this team play, you have a serious problem. If you're looking for artistic value and cinematic creativity, MLB team commercials are not the place. Just enjoy the team.

shbart
05-30-2006, 07:54 PM
WS05, I agree with you. I also think it's an interesting topic, so those who don't...don't post. Easy enough.
If the White Sox hadn't started out with a winning April or May, those spots would have gotten dated in a hurry. As is, I too think that by June it's time for some new creative spots. I know there was a call for some female Sox fans for a spot that was being done recently, so maybe something is on the burner. I understand that commercials aren't needed to sell tickets this year, but if the club is going to do spots, then I think you're goal is to solidify product image. I'm sure 2x4 has had this discussion with Sox brass. I think I would try and find a way to sell a "Yankees" attitude (let the flaming begin). Expect to win...we are that good.

pdr
05-30-2006, 09:27 PM
I believe this year's theme is "Let's Do It Again." Pretty straightforward and a call to action.

ws05champs
05-30-2006, 09:39 PM
if you need ads to pump you up to watch this team play, you have a serious problem. If you're looking for artistic value and cinematic creativity, MLB team commercials are not the place. Just enjoy the team.

I never said I needed ads to pump me up to watch this team. I did however say that I do like Sox ads that "pump me up . . ." Generally you are right though about MLB commercials although there are a few I enjoy.

Jurr
06-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah..I think the ring on Hawk's finger every time you watch a Sox game is all the advertising you need.

ws05champs
06-01-2006, 10:04 AM
As is, I too think that by June it's time for some new creative spots. I know there was a call for some female Sox fans for a spot that was being done recently, so maybe something is on the burner. I understand that commercials aren't needed to sell tickets this year, but if the club is going to do spots, then I think you're goal is to solidify product image. I'm sure 2x4 has had this discussion with Sox brass. I think I would try and find a way to sell a "Yankees" attitude (let the flaming begin). Expect to win...we are that good.

I hope you're right but I do not recall a midseason change in the style of ads over the last few years. Although the call for female Sox fans is a good indicator (although my wife will be really ticked off that she isn't in them).

Looking at it from a product image point of view. I think the current ads do convey a feeling of excitement about 2005. As far as a "Yankees" attitude, despite how many people feel about the Yankees, Steinbrenner often talks about the what people expect of the "Yankees Brand." Like it or not, around the world the Yankees are the symbol of baseball. The Yankees have an attitude that they should win the World Series. I think that if we at least make the playoffs this year and win another World Series in the next few years we have the possibility of making some serious cuts into the Yankees brand and attitude. Choosing silver and black a few years ago was a great step in that direction. Many people through out the country like the colors because they are cool. I think with all that and the future KW has put together for us, the Sox would have enough substance to develop an expectation that the Sox are the team to reckon with far beyond the fans in Chicago. That could be the basis of an entire marketing program. Who knows, maybe even someday ESPN will feature us before they get to New York and Boston.