PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/30/06

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Jay Idiotti today admits that hes tired of writing week after week about how the Trib should sell the Cubs. Immediately, I thought WOW, does that mean hes going to write about the the Team that Just won the WORLD SERIES and has one of the TOP records in Baseball right now? No, Idiotti, like the other lazy media, instead chooses to cross the line of Journalist and Propogandist and tries to help Cub fans and tamper with Mark Cuban. Ive never heard a potential owners name Comes up as much as ive heard Cubans in just one month. Only a month. The Media here says the
Sox winning in May was "too early" and "Lets see what happens when they play the AL East" and "Lets see at the break". After continueing to be hot and in 1st, they Waffled and said the Cubs losing is a big story.
Huh?

This year, the Cubs started out REDHOT, starting 5-2 (only 7 games mind you) the Media went HOG WILD saying the Cubs were on their way, things are different, they deserve all the coverage, Cubs in 1st is a big big story. Well, karma caught up with them, and we know what happened losing 20 of 25. Well now guess what? The Cubs, per history and usual, have bumbled and stumbled their way thru May and now the Cubs losing is a big big story.
Huh?
Jay Idiotti decides hes going to find a new owner for the Cubs instead of writing about how the SOX bullpen could use help (why isnt he finding us another pitcher?) How Lazy is he?

CBS couldnt wait to report the Cubs winning on their nitely newscast last nite. They showed Vince & Jennifer a million times, and quietly downplayed the "near riot" when they appeared afterwards at the MusicBox (a couple blks west of the Urinal). Cameras there showed an unruly and pushy crowd ............when lo and behold, one can make out Cub hats and Wrigley Tshirts among the rioters. that explained everything, drunks made thier way west to the movie theatre. Lazy Media wont report that however.

Sox were DOMINATED in media coverage over the weekend, in print and radio. The SOX were only audible/visible because of commercials. Despicable the way the media lazily lies in bed with that other team. The Tribune on Sunday, did a lead story, on how AJ PIERZYNSKI is one of the most hated in baseball. It had a giant full-color caricature of him, with Tomatoes pelted on him (hinting Cub fans to do this when the teams meet again in July). The story then talks about the most hated guys in sports, including such dirtbags like Bill Romanowski, who would bite and spit on people, punch his own teammates, and Bill Laimbeer, a guy who defined playing DIRTY. The story then goes to Claude Lemieux, a guy in the NHL who was very very very much hated for being a goon, fighting and playing about as dirty as anyone in any sport. That was it. They mentioned a couple of other "dirty" players, but that was it. After reading this GARBAGE, I thought, why the hell did they title it the way they did?
Why was AJ on the cover? With Tomatoes in his picture (so cub fans can throw things at him in July) What a garbage story and a waste of my time

OH, but in the Tribunes magazine on Sunday, who is on the Cover but Maddux, lauding him for starting out 5-0 and being old (obviously was written a few weeks ago, hes since fizzled also).

What a disgusting and repulsive weekend this was media-wise in Chicago.

Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, and being only the 5th team in history to lead from wire-to-wire, the SOX find themselves INEXPLICABLY lagging far far far behind to a team that, since 1950, has only THREE 90-win seasons, finished in 4th place last season, is in 5th place currently, and has won NOTHING of significance since the Roosevelt administration to warrant getting as much Time, Love and Attention from the Chicago Media.
Chicago Tribune:
8 cub stories (Plus 1 giant Magazine story)
3 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
7 cub stories
3 sox stories
Standings Tuesday May 30th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th place in 2005 Cubs497
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS CHamps in 05 SOX 408

miker
05-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Once again, good work and keep fighting the good fight!

DaveIsHere
05-30-2006, 09:50 AM
No mention of the fan running onto the field...go figure

southside rocks
05-30-2006, 10:00 AM
All this is exactly why I subscribe to the Daily Southtown. It's a sister paper to the Sun-Times and it gives the Sox more coverage than it gives the Cubs, and it doesn't repeat crap like the stupid 'AJ is a troublemaker' nonsense. It also doesn't carry the Moron's column. Try it, you'll like it.
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/index/dspro.html

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Jay "Lazy" Idiotti final line/Kiley-ism in his column?

"I suspect his INBOX will take another beating today. The Man has planted
a seed". No you Moron Jay. You and the rest of the Lazy Chicago Media planted the seed a few weeks ago when you Openly Coveted Mark Cuban,
knowing Sheep cub fans would start emailing/writing him. Saw right thru that.

miker
05-30-2006, 10:04 AM
We were watching the game at the party I was at and the non-Cub fans in attendance speculated that someone in the bleachers actually threw the fan at Jacque Jones...

itsnotrequired
05-30-2006, 10:10 AM
I liked Mitchell's article today where Cubs' first base coach Gary Matthews whines about how he is tired of hearing all the criticism.

:rolleyes:

Dan Mega
05-30-2006, 11:03 AM

Of course not, why would you think otherwise?

SOXPHILE
05-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Today's Cubune is an absolute embarrassment. 8 stories and articles on a team that yesterday, managed to climb up to a cool dozen games under .500. Nice, big, color font page picture of one of their pitchers making a start...in "A" ball ! (Where a bunch of 19 years olds managed to score 3 runs off of him in just 2 innings.) Huge spread on the back page, color photos and all, about all the Cubs angst, plus, a wonderful puff piece on how Memorial Day brings out Wrigley memories. It goes on to describe in detail, a Cubs game from....1956. There's actually about the same, if not more, ink/space devoted to this timely piece than the one on the actual Sox game yesterday. That's right, 3 quick, concise articles, no more, on the Sox, and their 11-0 pasting of a divisional rival. 8-3 in Cubs/Sox stories today. Mr. Knue, Dan McGrath, Rick Morrisey and the rest, I challenge you to take a look at that, and the way the stories and photos are presented, and once again, tell us that your newspaper/corporation shows no bias in the way you cover the team your company owns; Especially with the opposite way the two teams are playing, (not to mention the fact that one of them WON THE FRIGGIN' WORLD SERIES LAST YEAR !!!!! HELLOOOOOO ???!!!)

PaulDrake
05-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Today's Cubune is an absolute embarrassment. 8 stories and articles on a team that yesterday, managed to climb up to a cool dozen games under .500. Nice, big, color font page picture of one of their pitchers making a start...in "A" ball ! (Where a bunch of 19 years olds managed to score 3 runs off of him in just 2 innings.) Huge spread on the back page, color photos and all, about all the Cubs angst, plus, a wonderful puff piece on how Memorial Day brings out Wrigley memories. It goes on to describe in detail, a Cubs game from....1956. There's actually about the same, if not more, ink/space devoted to this timely piece than the one on the actual Sox game yesterday. That's right, 3 quick, concise articles, no more, on the Sox, and their 11-0 pasting of a divisional rival. 8-3 in Cubs/Sox stories today. Mr. Knue, Dan McGrath, Rick Morrisey and the rest, I challenge you to take a look at that, and the way the stories and photos are presented, and once again, tell us that your newspaper/corporation shows no bias in the way you cover the team your company owns; Especially with the opposite way the two teams are playing, (not to mention the fact that one of them WON THE FRIGGIN' WORLD SERIES LAST YEAR !!!!! HELLOOOOOO ???!!!) Knue would just dance around the subject and say it's all a figment of our imagination. It seems that things have really gotten worse lately. The cubs would be on the verge of total irrelevance if they played in any other city. Instead their friends and "fellow travelers" in the Chicago media are determined to keep them front and center at all costs.

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Media member, who will remain anonymous, said this THREAD has come up a number of times, and that questions are being raised as to who/why/how the Cubs continue to be the lead story ...............for Losing. and if they Win, for winning. Seems to think that its been this way for so long that maybe they dont know how things got this way ...........:angry:

Lip Man 1
05-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Hangar:

Please PM me with the names of the media folks you are referring to. I know most of them in the area and would like to follow up on this with them.

Lip

mliptak1@msn.com

Dan Mega
05-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Media member, who will remain anonymous, said this THREAD has come up a number of times, and that questions are being raised as to who/why/how the Cubs continue to be the lead story ...............for Losing. and if they Win, for winning. Seems to think that its been this way for so long that maybe they dont know how things got this way ...........:angry:

Its the heads I win-tails you lose method.

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Mark Potash the WGN/SunTimes beat reporter, is apparently upset that we here at WSI have Chronicled all the "bad events" that have been covered up over at the Friendly Confines, lashes back and re-hashes all of the incidents
that AJ Pierzynski has allegedly been involved in over his career.

Nice try Mark, dont you have to get to make-up now? And why not get us some info on that under-aged (and Very Drunk)Cubbie Tart Trixie who whipped a ball at Jacque Jones because he stunk so bad? How about the name of the Goof that ran the field the other day at the Friendly Confines?

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 12:25 PM
We turned on the Score at Noon (boss switched the stations)
Murph, per usual, is Groaning and Moaning about the Cubs. He is furiuos with the hitting and with Jacque Jones. Hasnt stopped talking Cubs, so we
simply turned The Score OFF.

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Whats happening at the Score 670, the SOX Flagship Station?
OH, as of 1:07pm, Murphy is still bitching about the Cubs and has been
for the last 67 minutes .............

Jerko
05-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Good thing that 1:30 minutes of Murph's 2 hours are commercials or Hangar would really go off the deep end.

SOecks
05-30-2006, 01:21 PM
And he just finished "analyzing" how Jock Jones' mom waved her finger and got mad at a fan at Wrigley. Gun in the mouth radio at its best right now. Our other option is Eric Kasilly-ass on ESPN1000 talking about Jeter and Schilling going to the Hall of fame. I'm going to create my own damn sports radio station. Can't do much worse.

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 01:32 PM
1:30pm, Murph is talking about how Santo was angry after the loss on Friday. 90 straight minutes of all Cubtastic CubTalk. On a side note,
we started to playfully dial in, we were told they were talking Cub right now,
"call later" for Sox talk

thomas35forever
05-30-2006, 01:43 PM
He just finished talking about the ex-Cub factor on the Dodgers, specifically Lofton and Garciaparra.

MadetoOrta
05-30-2006, 01:51 PM
1:30pm, Murph is talking about how Santo was angry after the loss on Friday. 90 straight minutes of all Cubtastic CubTalk. On a side note,
we started to playfully dial in, we were told they were talking Cub right now,
"call later" for Sox talk

Henry,

For the second time today and the approximately 20th time this spring, I suggest the best way to get after these people is to inundate their email inboxes with your well-written posts. Make them spend the time deleting messages. They will at some point have to acknowledge the bias and try to counter us. At that point, we won. I believe last year during the ALDS Gammons went so far as to say "I better be careful lest I'm accused of east coast bias."

MTO

SOXPHILE
05-30-2006, 01:58 PM
You know, in the 5 or 6 times since the 1st of the year that I've actually heard more than 20 minutes of that idiot's show, I don't think I've even heard him mention the White Sox. I don't think he's even trying to pretend any more that he talks both teams. Since 670 became the Sox flagship station, he must think it's his mission to solely present an "All Cubs" format radio show. Let me take a wild guess here. So far, on today's show, he has played the following soundbytes 8-10 times already:

-His clever "Andy the CLOWN McF-A-I-L" bit, with the goofy cartoon hammer sound effects

-"Bud Selig refused to talk to us"

-"Your attention please...have your scorecards ready for todays lineup"

-"Strange things continue to happen here at Wrigley Field"

-"That's no goodah ! (?)"

-Dusty Baker's "Aww, man, I don't know. Let's change the subject"

-(Ed O'Bradovich laugh ?) "Aww ha ha..that's NOT funny..."

-Piano playing "Hey Hey, Holy Mackerel" in the background

All while talking exclusively Cubs, and promising "any Sox fans listening" that they would be talking White Sox coming up...then never do. Am I right ?

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 02:16 PM
At least its 2pm now, and Boers & Bernstein are on. They will put a STOP to this all Cub nonsense.

Well, never mind, they too are TalkingCub also.
At least they are RIPPING on Dusty