PDA

View Full Version : Bonds and Thomas?

StockdaleForVeep
05-29-2006, 10:51 PM
So watching BT, they did a special on the stadium in oakland and commented on how bonds could be goin there next season for the dh. This means that Thomas would be the odd man out. Anyones thoughts on it?

Bonds is the hot name yes but if u wanna compare numbers, Thomas is producing more, but both have become mainly homerun hitters. Itd be sad to see frank moved to a diff team due to bonds. Or who knows, play barry half a season, play thomas, we can see how roids play against non roids

RKMeibalane
05-29-2006, 11:00 PM
So watching BT, they did a special on the stadium in oakland and commented on how bonds could be goin there next season for the dh. This means that Thomas would be the odd man out. Anyones thoughts on it?

Bonds is the hot name yes but if u wanna compare numbers, Thomas is producing more, but both have become mainly homerun hitters. Itd be sad to see frank moved to a diff team due to bonds. Or who knows, play barry half a season, play thomas, we can see how roids play against non roids

If Frank continues to play the way he has the past two weeks, the job is his. Even when he was struggling and hitting around the .190 mark, his other numbers were still better than Bonds. ESPN needs to find more useful things to do with their time.

Vernam
05-29-2006, 11:46 PM
So watching BT, they did a special on the stadium in oakland and commented on how bonds could be goin there next season for the dh. This means that Thomas would be the odd man out. Anyones thoughts on it?Talk of Bonds joining Oakland is an insult to Frank, not to mention premature. But the ESPN segment was worse than that . . . It was part of their 30 Stadiums in 30 Days series, and Ravich opened the piece by saying MacAffee Park is best known as the place where Barry Bonds may play next year. :rolleyes: Not a trace of irony that I could detect. I guess those three straight World Series the A's won there don't count for much.

Vernam

CLR01
05-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Talk of Bonds joining Oakland is an insult to Frank, not to mention premature. But the ESPN segment was worse than that . . . It was part of their 30 Stadiums in 30 Days series, and Ravich opened the piece by saying MacAffee Park is best known as the place where Barry Bonds may play next year. :rolleyes: Not a trace of irony that I could detect. I guess those three straight World Series the A's won there don't count for much.

Vernam

They're doing that crap again? Why?

FedEx227
05-30-2006, 12:16 AM
They're doing that crap again? Why?

Because they need new angles for stories about Boston, Bonds, Yankees and Boston.

Whats the percentage chance that Busch Stadium is revealed as the "new" version of where the Red Sox broke their curse? I'd be willing to say 80%

tweek57
05-30-2006, 12:44 AM
So how exactly is Frank outproducing Bonds?

Compare the 2, see who leads in more statistical categories:

Bonds: R, 2B, BB, OBP, SLG, OPS

Thomas: H, HR, RBI

Thomas has 3 more HR, 6 more RBI, and 2 more hits in 23 more ABs. Bonds' OPS is 144 points higher than Thomas'.

I love Frank and all but Bonds is having the superior season.

chaerulez
05-30-2006, 02:37 AM
How are we so sure that any AL team would take him? Imagine the fan backlash... most people outside of San Fran cannot stand the guy.

ode to veeck
05-30-2006, 09:31 AM
The talk about Barry and the A's is not that far off base. He would draw a lot of fans to the park here in the Bay Area and not have to play the field anymore. He's turned into a distraction for the Giantas trying to improve as well.

RKMeibalane
05-30-2006, 09:46 AM
So how exactly is Frank outproducing Bonds?

Compare the 2, see who leads in more statistical categories:

Bonds: R, 2B, BB, OBP, SLG, OPS

Thomas: H, HR, RBI

Thomas has 3 more HR, 6 more RBI, and 2 more hits in 23 more ABs. Bonds' OPS is 144 points higher than Thomas'.

I love Frank and all but Bonds is having the superior season.

Keep in mind that Frank's numbers are the result of his slow start, something that happens almost every year with him anyway. Frank has been on fire the past two weeks, and if he continues at anywhere near his current rate of production, he'll end up with better numbers than Bonds.

Vernam
05-30-2006, 11:05 AM
The talk about Barry and the A's is not that far off base. He would draw a lot of fans to the park here in the Bay Area and not have to play the field anymore. He's turned into a distraction for the Giantas trying to improve as well.I don't doubt that Beane is goofy enough to do it. If signing hobbled superstars in the twilight of fabled careers is the newest twist to moneyball, then Bonds is the logical progression. Good for gate receipts, but a blatant admission that they're not serious about winning a world championship.

Vernam

Lip Man 1
05-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Two of the A's themselves, Chavez and Swisher have already openely talked about this. Both said they'd love to have Bonds in Oakland next season.

Lip

SoxFan76
05-30-2006, 01:16 PM
You can hate Bonds all you want, but if he came to the White Sox (not that he would, I'm just sayin...) and put up monster numbers...then who cares?

Tragg
05-30-2006, 01:22 PM
I believe the thinking is that Oakland is the only possible destination for Bonds. And with Frank there, it may not be, but where else? Seattle - maybe, but that's all I can see.
Nobody wants to deal with Bonds' baggage.

Vernam
05-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Two of the A's themselves, Chavez and Swisher have already openely talked about this. Both said they'd love to have Bonds in Oakland next season.Lip, that's what I found especially distasteful. I'm not one of the rabid Frank supporters, but he's earned more respect than to have his current teammates openly speculate that they'd be better off without him next year.

Based on their current numbers, it makes way more sense to gamble on Frank than on Bonds if winning and not attendance is the objective.

Vernam

D. TODD
05-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Bonds may stay in the bay area and DH with the A's, but it is doubtful he would go anywhere else. His knee is as bad as Frank's foot, if not worse, so he wouldn't be playing 162 games anyway. Barry wants to remain a Giant, but with his knee it will be hard for him to play in the national league another year. The A's would be a good fit and Frank & Barry would share DH duties.

IlliniSox4Life
05-30-2006, 02:13 PM
You can hate Bonds all you want, but if he came to the White Sox (not that he would, I'm just sayin...) and put up monster numbers...then who cares?

I would - I don't want steroid padded numbers to cheapen anything my team accomplishes.

SoxFan76
05-30-2006, 02:15 PM
I would - I don't want steroid padded numbers to cheapen anything my team accomplishes.

Point taken, however, in all this controversy you don't hear anything about Bonds cheapening his team's accomplishments, just his own accomplishments.

RKMeibalane
05-30-2006, 02:30 PM
If you ask me, the Yankees seem like the most logical choice. They have been using Bernie Williams as their DH for most of this season. It's likley that he probably isn't brought back for 2007, which opens the door for Bonds. Also factor in the short RF fence at Yankee Stadium, and the fact that Bonds would have plenty of protection around him. I don't know what kind of money he would be looking at, but the Yankees give him a legitamite shot at the World Series, something he won't have in San Francisco or Oakland.

D. TODD
05-30-2006, 03:43 PM
If you ask me, the Yankees seem like the most logical choice. They have been using Bernie Williams as their DH for most of this season. It's likley that he probably isn't brought back for 2007, which opens the door for Bonds. Also factor in the short RF fence at Yankee Stadium, and the fact that Bonds would have plenty of protection around him. I don't know what kind of money he would be looking at, but the Yankees give him a legitamite shot at the World Series, something he won't have in San Francisco or Oakland. I don't know if he would want to play on the east coast, but that scenario does make sense otherwise.

TDog
05-30-2006, 06:17 PM
If Bonds had been drafted by the Sox and played his career with the Sox, circumstances that would have prevented the Sox from drafting Frank Thomas, Sox fans would worship him and express hostility toward Frank Thomas.

Both of them are at the point in their careers where they are breaking down. The Yankees weren't interested in Thomas coming into this season. I don't believe they feel they would take Bonds either.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Vernam:

Perhaps something is going on in the clubhouse that we don't know about. Maybe a 'chemistry' issue?

Lip

ewokpelts
05-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Vernam:

Perhaps something is going on in the clubhouse that we don't know about. Maybe a 'chemistry' issue?

Lipthat or chavez and swisher need a roids hookup

or that they're tired of playing in front of small crowds despite the fact they they are a good team, so having barroid will bring in people
Gene

Vernam
05-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Perhaps something is going on in the clubhouse that we don't know about. Maybe a 'chemistry' issue?I have to admit Bonds gives new meaning to the term "team chemistry." :cool: For that matter, during LaRussa's days managing the A's, "Team Chemistry" might've been a good name for them!

Vernam

beckett21
05-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Point taken, however, in all this controversy you don't hear anything about Bonds cheapening his team's accomplishments, just his own accomplishments.

That's because his teams haven't accomplished jack. :redneck

RKMeibalane
05-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Vernam:

Lip

It's possible. That said, if Chavez and Swisher can't handle Frank, then Bonds will eat them alive with his huge ego.

Nellie_Fox
06-01-2006, 03:14 AM
Today, Frank went two for four with a homer and 2 RBI. OPS now up to .821.

Frank's stats are getting better. He certainly won't be 1994 Frank again, but he'll be better than Barry.

RKMeibalane
06-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Today, Frank went two for four with a homer and 2 RBI. OPS now up to .821.

Frank's stats are getting better. He certainly won't be 1994 Frank again, but he'll be better than Barry.

Agreed. As I've said before, his batting average and ability to use the entire field are the only things that have slipped. His power, batting eye, and patience have always been there.