PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 2006 NCAA Regionals Thread

Viva Medias B's
05-29-2006, 10:09 PM
The NCAA has announced the Field of 64 (http://ncaasports.com/baseball/mens/brackets/viewable/special64/2006/DI) for this year's 2006 NCAA Baseball Tournament, culminating at the College World Series in Omaha. Clemson is the No. 1 seed nationally. Notre Dame is a 3-seed in the Lexington regional. Big Ten champ Michigan is a 3-seed in the Atlanta regional. Horizon League champ Wright State is the fourth seed in the Corvallis regional.

OkStateSox
05-30-2006, 12:53 AM
MSU being in is a joke. Their resume is not ncaa worthy, if the bulldog AD was not head of the selection commitee they do not get in over LSU or Wake Forest. Also, OSU being the only one seed to not host because of too few hotel rooms is ridiculous. A regional at Norman yields a few sooner fans and a decent about of WSU fans, a Stillwater regional with ORU and Arkansas is gold, pure gold.

And how about the Big 12 getting more teams in then it deserves and the SEC only getting 8 in? I guess this is what respect feels like.

friarhky22
05-30-2006, 01:06 AM
Basically, the treatment of northern teams is a joke. ND getting a #3 seed is terrible, they had 45 wins, won their conference, won their conference tournament. As their coach said on the selection show, there are only so many teams you can play.

In all, there were exactly ZERO northern teams that were selected for the tournament. Every single northern team in the tournament was an auto bid. Oh well. Now my pipe dream is an ND-Michigan super regional.

elrod
05-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Only one Big Ten team? What a joke.

MUsoxfan
05-30-2006, 01:48 AM
No LSU Tigers. What an embaressing season:(:

SouthSide_HitMen
05-30-2006, 02:56 AM
Roll Tide Roll!!!

Pulling for The Rebels as well as the rest of the SEC.

Viva Medias B's
05-30-2006, 10:37 AM

As big a conference the Big Ten is, it's really more of a mid-major conference in college baseball. I am a Big Ten fan, but that is the way it is. One big advantage the Southern/Western teams have had is obviously the weather. Starting either in 2007 or 2008, I believe the NCAA is starting the college baseball season later so that both Northern and Southern/Western schools start around the same time.

Viva Medias B's
05-30-2006, 10:38 AM
No LSU Tigers. What an embaressing season:(:

Smoke Laval in trouble down in Baton Rouge?

Defending runner up Florida isn't in the field either.

Clembasbal
05-30-2006, 11:06 AM

I'll tell you what isn't a joke, going 25-6 against ranked opponents...Clemson should walk away with it this season. Jack Leggett really jacked up their schedule and it should pay off.

Clem(son) bas(e)bal(l) rules the ACC and should rock Omaha!

The only unfortunate thing is they sometimes choke come this time, but with their schedule...they should be able to handle the pressure.

I will hopefully see them when I go and visit the CWS in Mid-June.

D. TODD
05-30-2006, 11:25 AM
GO TARHEELS! Hopefully they can get back into mid season form.

ChiSoxRowand
05-30-2006, 02:38 PM

They will sure be tough to beat in a small tourney/short series with Miller and Bard.

AZChiSoxFan
05-30-2006, 03:57 PM
As big a conference the Big Ten is, it's really more of a mid-major conference in college baseball. I am a Big Ten fan, but that is the way it is. One big advantage the Southern/Western teams have had is obviously the weather. Starting either in 2007 or 2008, I believe the NCAA is starting the college baseball season later so that both Northern and Southern/Western schools start around the same time.

Yes, the part about moving the season back is really too bad, IMO. Why doesn't the NCAA just build nice indoor stadiums for all the northern teams to level the playing field? In college baseball, weather is a huge factor and the southern teams benefit. That's just the way it is. The southern teams are better in baseball and the northern teams are better in hockey.

Go ASU Sun Devils!! Get that 20th trip to Omaha!!

kcsportscaster
06-02-2006, 01:42 AM
Yes, the part about moving the season back is really too bad, IMO. Why doesn't the NCAA just build nice indoor stadiums for all the northern teams to level the playing field? In college baseball, weather is a huge factor and the southern teams benefit. That's just the way it is. The southern teams are better in baseball and the northern teams are better in hockey.

Go ASU Sun Devils!! Get that 20th trip to Omaha!!

Every single year, coaches of northern teams whine and cry about either not getting respect from the NCAA Tournament committee, the season starting too early, or having to travel to the south or the west coast just to play early season games, etc., and it has become a tired act for we southerners who love college baseball to have to hear. Read this whinefest from Notre Shame head coach Paul Maineri about having to go to the Lexington, KY Regional instead of hosting a regional:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/baseball/2006-05-31-notre-dame-coach_x.htm

And you wonder why those of us who hate Notre Shame refer to them as the "Cryin' Irish," LOL!!!!

Minnesota has the perfect arrangement for early season games by playing them at the Metrodome, although that likely will be in jeopardy once the new Twinkies ballpark opens. Face it, as mentioned earlier in this thread, teams from the southeast, southwest, and the west coast have a huge advantage over northern teams because of the weather during the pre-conference schedule.

As for those in the tournament, watch out for Kentucky, especially with them hosting a regional, WHICH THEY DESERVE BECAUSE OF THEIR SURPRISING PLAY ALL SEASON LONG IN THE TOUGHEST CONFERENCE IN THE COUNTRY, THE SEC!!!! The Cats were picked to finish sixth in the six team SEC Eastern Division before the season began, but ended up being the surprise team in the conference by winning the regular season co-championship along with Alabama.

You may also want to watch out for South Alabama despite the fact that my beloved alma mater has never advanced past the regional round. I think that their disappointing finish in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament will motivate them a bit going into a very tough Oxford, MS Regional, where they have to face Tulane, who advanced to the College World Series last year, in the first game on Friday, and will possibly have to get past host team Ole Miss in their ballpark.

My Picks:

Clemson, S-C Regional: Clemson

Fayetteville, AR Regional: Oklahoma State

Lexington, KY Regional: Kentucky

Atlanta Regional: Georgia Tech

Fullerton, CA Regional: Cal State-Fullerton

Malibu, CA Regional: Pepperdine

Chapel Hill, N-C Regional: North Carolina

Tuscaloosa, AL Regional: Alabama

Houston Regional: Rice

Norman, OK Regional: Oklahoma

Charlottesville, VA Regional: South Carolina

Athens, GA Regional: Florida State

Lincoln, NE Regional: Miami (GO CANES!!!!)

Oxford, MS Regional: South Alabama (GO JAGS!!!!)

Corvallis, OR Regional: Oregon State

Austin, TX Regional: Texas

Enjoy the action, that is, if you actually get ESPNU and CSTV!!!! That's another rant I have about the media's lack of respect for college baseball. ESPN/ESPN2, for one thing, will NOT show any scores or highlights of any games during the regular season unless there is a no-hitter, a multi-homer game by one particular player, or a brawl. ESPN, to my knowledge, only televised ONE regular season game this year, Tennessee at South Carolina nearly a month ago, when they and ESPN2 televised several regular season games last year, albeit only to fill extra windows due to the NHL lockout. Even after televising the selection show live on Monday, they put regional games on ESPNU and make most of us wait until the Super Regionals before most of us can watch live games on ESPN and ESPN2. However, I am fortunate enough to be able to watch regular season games on FSN-South for most of the season and for the last three weeks of the regular season and conference tournament week on Turner South since Fox officially took over that regional network last month.

Plus, notice there's no overhype on the ESPN's for the College World Series as there is for certain events they have broadcast rights to that nobody watches, the WNBA, women's college basketball, the X Games, and the worst of them all, the upcoming World Toilet, err, Cup???? ESPN shoves that garbage down our collective throats nearly every day with their overusage of promos and the daily "World Cup Moment" on SportsCenter, while we barely see or hear a peep about the Regionals, Super Regionals, or the College World Series. HEY, THIS IS BASEBALL, OUR NATIONAL PASTIME, IN ONE OF ITS LAST PUREST FORMS WHERE THOSE KIDS FROM WELL OVER 200 SCHOOLS IN D-I BUST THEIR COLLECTIVE ASSES NEARLY EVERY DAY FROM THE FIRST PRACTICE IN THE COLD OF JANUARY TO THE HEAT OF THE LATE SPRING AND EARLY SUMMER FOR A SINGLE GOAL, TO GET TO OMAHA, YET THE FOUR LETTER NETWORK BARELY GIVES A DAMN IF AT ALL, EVEN WHEN THE FINAL EIGHT REACH ONE JOHNNY ROSENBLATT STADIUM!!!!

And there is this in regards to the College World Series schedule: http://www.ncaasports.com/broadcast/tv Scroll down to "Tuesday 6/20" where you'll find the start times for the two games that day as well as on Wednesday, June 21st, and if necessary, Thursday, June 22nd, 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. Eastern, when start times for the games the first four days are 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Eastern. Is this so that the four letter network can shove soccer down our collective throats during the early afternoon, thus pushing the start times for midweek College World Series games to late afternoon and deep into the night, instead of starting the games those days at the more reasonable times of 2 Eastern and 7 Eastern???? If so, that's futher proof that soccer was invented by the Devil:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: !!!!

TheKittle
06-02-2006, 04:56 AM
HEY, THIS IS BASEBALL, OUR NATIONAL PASTIME, IN ONE OF ITS LAST PUREST FORMS WHERE THOSE KIDS FROM WELL OVER 200 SCHOOLS

When players are swinging a metal bat, that's hardly the purest forms of our national pastime.

White City
06-02-2006, 09:44 AM
I think maybe you're overlooking the host team, which happens to have the best team ERA in the country. Davenport Field is a pitcher's park, and UVa is very strong there. Also, UVa draws a crappy Lehigh team in game 1, and is thus using its No. 3 pitcher in the first game. Virginia will have a signficant pitching advantage over South Carolina, which is burning its ace to try to get past a game Evansville squad.

Not sure about that UVa-UGa matchup in Athens. Maybe FSU can knock the Dawgs off for us! Not holding my breath, though.

For fun, I picked Virginia beating Alabama in the CWS title series on Baseball America's bracket challenge. I'll be happy if the Hoos just make their first CWS trip.

So there: My UVa alumnus bias trumps your SEC bias! :cool:

HawkDJ
06-02-2006, 11:48 AM

I'm with you on that. We've struggled heading into the tourny.

gbergman
06-02-2006, 12:13 PM
LEts go Cal State Fullerton!!!

OkStateSox
06-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Missouri is the biggest lock to move on ever, and they're a four seed.

Also here is a good site to follow the action:
http://www.ncaasports.com/baseball/mens/scoreboard/div1

MY picks:

Clemson
OSU
to CWS: OSU

Kentucky
Georiga Tech
to CWS: G-tech

Cal SF
Mizzou
To CWS: CSF

Winthrop
Bama
to CWS: Bama

Rice
Houston
To CWS: Rice

Virginia
FSU
to CWS Virginia

Nebraska
South Alabama
To CWS: Nebraska

Oregon State
Texas
To CWS: Texas

OkStateSox
06-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Wow Nebraska is down 4-1 to Manhattan.

OkStateSox
06-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Also Notre Dame is in a close game tied 4-4 in the 11th.

AZChiSoxFan
06-02-2006, 05:11 PM

:rolling:

No big 12 bias at all there, right?

AZChiSoxFan
06-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Wow Nebraska is down 4-1 to Manhattan.

It's a final. 4-1 Jaspers. WOW!!

OkStateSox
06-02-2006, 06:06 PM
WOW, top of the 16th and Notre Dame is STILL battling charleston.,

OkStateSox
06-02-2006, 06:09 PM
:rolling:

No big 12 bias at all there, right?
That and Culp and Scherzer are future MLB Starters. Anyway, Mizz does the have the best chance ever for a four seed to advance.

AZChiSoxFan
06-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Mizz does the have the best chance ever for a four seed to advance.

I can't disagree with that, but that's an entirely different statement from your previous one.

OkStateSox
06-02-2006, 06:44 PM
UND loses in 16 FYI.

AZChiSoxFan
06-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Every single year, coaches of northern teams whine and cry about either not getting respect from the NCAA Tournament committee, the season starting too early, or having to travel to the south or the west coast just to play early season games, etc., and it has become a tired act for we southerners who love college baseball to have to hear. Read this whinefest from Notre Shame head coach Paul Maineri about having to go to the Lexington, KY Regional instead of hosting a regional:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/baseball/2006-05-31-notre-dame-coach_x.htm

And you wonder why those of us who hate Notre Shame refer to them as the "Cryin' Irish," LOL!!!!

Minnesota has the perfect arrangement for early season games by playing them at the Metrodome, although that likely will be in jeopardy once the new Twinkies ballpark opens. Face it, as mentioned earlier in this thread, teams from the southeast, southwest, and the west coast have a huge advantage over northern teams because of the weather during the pre-conference schedule.

As for those in the tournament, watch out for Kentucky, especially with them hosting a regional, WHICH THEY DESERVE BECAUSE OF THEIR SURPRISING PLAY ALL SEASON LONG IN THE TOUGHEST CONFERENCE IN THE COUNTRY, THE SEC!!!! The Cats were picked to finish sixth in the six team SEC Eastern Division before the season began, but ended up being the surprise team in the conference by winning the regular season co-championship along with Alabama.

You may also want to watch out for South Alabama despite the fact that my beloved alma mater has never advanced past the regional round. I think that their disappointing finish in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament will motivate them a bit going into a very tough Oxford, MS Regional, where they have to face Tulane, who advanced to the College World Series last year, in the first game on Friday, and will possibly have to get past host team Ole Miss in their ballpark.

My Picks:

Clemson, S-C Regional: Clemson

Fayetteville, AR Regional: Oklahoma State

Lexington, KY Regional: Kentucky

Atlanta Regional: Georgia Tech

Fullerton, CA Regional: Cal State-Fullerton

Malibu, CA Regional: Pepperdine

Chapel Hill, N-C Regional: North Carolina

Tuscaloosa, AL Regional: Alabama

Houston Regional: Rice

Norman, OK Regional: Oklahoma

Charlottesville, VA Regional: South Carolina

Athens, GA Regional: Florida State

Lincoln, NE Regional: Miami (GO CANES!!!!)

Oxford, MS Regional: South Alabama (GO JAGS!!!!)

Corvallis, OR Regional: Oregon State

Austin, TX Regional: Texas

Enjoy the action, that is, if you actually get ESPNU and CSTV!!!! That's another rant I have about the media's lack of respect for college baseball. ESPN/ESPN2, for one thing, will NOT show any scores or highlights of any games during the regular season unless there is a no-hitter, a multi-homer game by one particular player, or a brawl. ESPN, to my knowledge, only televised ONE regular season game this year, Tennessee at South Carolina nearly a month ago, when they and ESPN2 televised several regular season games last year, albeit only to fill extra windows due to the NHL lockout. Even after televising the selection show live on Monday, they put regional games on ESPNU and make most of us wait until the Super Regionals before most of us can watch live games on ESPN and ESPN2. However, I am fortunate enough to be able to watch regular season games on FSN-South for most of the season and for the last three weeks of the regular season and conference tournament week on Turner South since Fox officially took over that regional network last month.

Plus, notice there's no overhype on the ESPN's for the College World Series as there is for certain events they have broadcast rights to that nobody watches, the WNBA, women's college basketball, the X Games, and the worst of them all, the upcoming World Toilet, err, Cup???? ESPN shoves that garbage down our collective throats nearly every day with their overusage of promos and the daily "World Cup Moment" on SportsCenter, while we barely see or hear a peep about the Regionals, Super Regionals, or the College World Series. HEY, THIS IS BASEBALL, OUR NATIONAL PASTIME, IN ONE OF ITS LAST PUREST FORMS WHERE THOSE KIDS FROM WELL OVER 200 SCHOOLS IN D-I BUST THEIR COLLECTIVE ASSES NEARLY EVERY DAY FROM THE FIRST PRACTICE IN THE COLD OF JANUARY TO THE HEAT OF THE LATE SPRING AND EARLY SUMMER FOR A SINGLE GOAL, TO GET TO OMAHA, YET THE FOUR LETTER NETWORK BARELY GIVES A DAMN IF AT ALL, EVEN WHEN THE FINAL EIGHT REACH ONE JOHNNY ROSENBLATT STADIUM!!!!

And there is this in regards to the College World Series schedule: http://www.ncaasports.com/broadcast/tv Scroll down to "Tuesday 6/20" where you'll find the start times for the two games that day as well as on Wednesday, June 21st, and if necessary, Thursday, June 22nd, 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. Eastern, when start times for the games the first four days are 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Eastern. Is this so that the four letter network can shove soccer down our collective throats during the early afternoon, thus pushing the start times for midweek College World Series games to late afternoon and deep into the night, instead of starting the games those days at the more reasonable times of 2 Eastern and 7 Eastern???? If so, that's futher proof that soccer was invented by the Devil:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: !!!!

Nice win for USA, 7-1 over Tulane.

Trav
06-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Roll Tide Roll!!!

Pulling for The Rebels as well as the rest of the SEC.

Roll Tide is right, if they find an offense that is.

Mind if I ask what got you into Bama sports?

White City
06-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Wow!

gbergman
06-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Athens:
Georgia
Flordia State
to super-FSU

Atlanta
Georgia Tech
Vanderbilt
to super- GT

Austin
Texas
Stanford
To super- Texas

Charlotte
Virginia
South Carolina
to super-Virginia

Chappel Hill
North Carolina
Winthrop
to super- NC

Clemson
Clemson
Elon
to super- Clemson

Corvallis
Kansas
Oregon State
to super- Oregon State

Fayetteville-
Oklahoma State
Arkansas
to super- OSU

Fullerton-
CSUF
Fresno
to super- CSUF

Houston-
Rice
ASU
to super- Rice

Lexington-
Charleston
Notre Dame
to super- Charleston

Lincoln-
Miami
Manhatten
to super- Miami

Malibu-
UCLA
Missouri
to super- Missouri

Norman-
Oklahoma
Witchita St.
to super- Oklahoma

Oxford
S. Alabama
Bethune Cookman
to super- S. Alabama

Tuscalossa
Troy
Alabama
to super- Alabama

OkStateSox
06-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Rice came back and took the lead in the ninth to win. In a momumental upset Mizzou goes down to Pepperdine. And OSU won (of course).

OkStateSox
06-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Oh, now I'm getting some updated information, Praire View was apparently robbed of a run against rice.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Roll Tide is right, if they find an offense that is.

Mind if I ask what got you into Bama sports?

Bear Bryant in the 1970s. My Grandfather was a big fan as well.

All of my allegiances were formed as a kid in the 1970s.

I love Bama, Penn State and any team coached by Bobby Knight. :D:

I like OU and Ole Miss as well (except when they play Bama) but not as much as the three referenced above. Are you an alum or native of Alabama?

Frank Thomas always had a strike (Bo Jackson two) against him in my book. :redneck

Roll Tide forever
War Eagle never (except for the Ludwig Von Mises Institute).

Trav
06-02-2006, 09:49 PM

All of my allegiances were formed as a kid in the 1970s.

I love Bama, Penn State and any team coached by Bobby Knight. :D:

I like OU and Ole Miss as well (except when they play Bama) but not as much as the three referenced above. Are you an alum or native of Alabama?

Frank Thomas always had a strike (Bo Jackson two) against him in my book. :redneck

Roll Tide forever
War Eagle never (except for the Ludwig Von Mises Institute).

I moved to Tuscaloosa around the time I was forming my own favorite teams. Just about all my favorite teams in every sport besides college football I got from my father. Besides Bama, I like almost all the SEC teams. I hate Tennessee. With a passion. Auburn isn't even close to when it comes hatred.

BLRMKRdave
06-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Ball State takes down Kentucky 3-1 !!!!!!

SouthSide_HitMen
06-02-2006, 11:51 PM
I moved to Tuscaloosa around the time I was forming my own favorite teams. Just about all my favorite teams in every sport besides college football I got from my father. Besides Bama, I like almost all the SEC teams. I hate Tennessee. With a passion. Auburn isn't even close to when it comes hatred.

Well I agree with you and I am glad another Tide Fan is on the board with the exception of which team I hate most. The third weekend in October is big and there is not much to like about Fat Phil but if I can guarantee a Bama win it would be the Iron Bowl, the biggest annual college game in the nation IMO.

Listening to the game online (simultaneous with the White Sox) and Bama is DOWN 1-0 in the fourth.

How did you become a White Sox fan?

Trav
06-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Well I agree with you and I am glad another Tide Fan is on the board with the exception of which team I hate most. The third weekend in October is big and there is not much to like about Fat Phil but if I can guarantee a Bama win it would be the Iron Bowl, the biggest annual college game in the nation IMO.

Listening to the game online (simultaneous with the White Sox) and Bama is DOWN 1-0 in the fourth.

How did you become a White Sox fan?

Well I was born in Illinois and my dad grew up in Oak Lawn. Big time Sox fan so really, I had no choice even though I grew up in a few different places.

Thanks for the update. I went to almost every home game during Jim Wells first few years. He really turned that program around.

I have been to four Iron Bowl games. It is an amazing thing. But for whatever reason, I just don't have the same dislike.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Well I was born in Illinois and my dad grew up in Oak Lawn. Big time Sox fan so really, I had no choice even though I grew up in a few different places.

Thanks for the update.

Cool.

Better update - Bama up 4-1 after 5.

Here is the scoreboard (they have a cool gametracker as well):

http://www.ncaasports.com/baseball/mens/scoreboard/div1/div1/20060602/120

And here is the link for audio during the tournament:

http://www.ncaasports.com/broadcast/schedule/champ-audio

I like their basketball team as well - especially after they battled back when all the naysayers said they were done after Davis went out but they played with pride and nearly knocked out UCLA shorthanded in the second round after their late season slump.

The Cotton Bowl was awesome as well - I love good defensive battles.

http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=239994

PS - The regional games are televised online here: http://www.crimsontradition.com/Home.aspx

cubhater
06-03-2006, 01:52 AM

I'm a U of Miami fan all the way but like Bama because of the Bear. He visted my high school to recruit our stud receiver, Jesse Bendross, who was Bama's top receiver during his four years there, and I leveled him as a freshman on a crossing pattern in front of Bryant. My 15 minutes of fame.:cool:

Bryant also signed my high school's best running back the previous year, Jeff Fagan, who ended up being the fourth back in the wishbone and scored the first TD in Bear's last game at the Liberty Bowl. :cool:

Back to the NCAA tournament........GO CANES!

Trav
06-03-2006, 02:13 AM
Cool.

Better update - Bama up 4-1 after 5.

Here is the scoreboard (they have a cool gametracker as well):

http://www.ncaasports.com/baseball/mens/scoreboard/div1/div1/20060602/120

And here is the link for audio during the tournament:

http://www.ncaasports.com/broadcast/schedule/champ-audio

I like their basketball team as well - especially after they battled back when all the naysayers said they were done after Davis went out but they played with pride and nearly knocked out UCLA shorthanded in the second round after their late season slump.

The Cotton Bowl was awesome as well - I love good defensive battles.

http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=239994

PS - The regional games are televised online here: http://www.crimsontradition.com/Home.aspx

Thanks for the links. I wish I could listen/watch but I am out to sea for a while and the computers here don't allow any of that. I will be using the gametracker tho...

Someone might need to start a college football thread.

And that offense I was talking so bad about comes around to put up 13 runs.

Viva Medias B's
06-03-2006, 02:18 AM
Back to the NCAA tournament........GO CANES!

I have never been much of a UM fan in general, but I've always admired the 'Canes who play at Mark Light Stadium. It would be nice to see Jim Morris' team win it.

OkStateSox
06-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Nebraska is down to San Fran 5-1 in the eight. They look good all year until they drop their first series to OSU, then they dont win another series until the big 12 tournament where they go 3-0 (beating 2 ncaa tourney teams including national seed texas), and now they are going to go 2 and out.

Viva Medias B's
06-04-2006, 01:49 AM
Notre Dame's run has come to an end. After losing 5-4 in 16 innings to the College of Charleston Friday, the Irish faced an elimination game against No. 1 regional seed Kentucky. ND fell short. The Wildcats beat the Irish 10-4 and sent ND packing.

In other action, Nebraska went two and out by losing 5-1 today to the San Francisco Dons.

Defending national champion Texas faces an elimination game against NSCT after they lost 12-8 to Stanford.

Here is the rest (http://ncaasports.com/baseball/mens/scoreboard/div1) of today's NCAA scoreboard.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-04-2006, 03:24 AM
Following teams held serve (won first two games at home):

ACC - Georgia Tech, NC, Clemson
SEC - Alabama, Ole Miss
Pac 10 - Oregon St
Western Athletic - Cal State Fullerton
West Coast - Pepperdine

Host schools still alive
Georgia (Florida St won first two games)
Texas (Stanford)
Virginia (South Carolina)
Arkansas (Oral Roberts - Bye Bye OkStateSox :tongue: )
Kentucky (College of Charleston)
OU (Wichita State)

Nebraska - Eliminated

Houston - 2nd day of games scheduled for tomorrow

Tragg
06-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Houston - 2nd day of games scheduled for tomorrow I think you meant Rice...Houston's 2 and out in Norman Oklahoma.

Lot of love for s alabama here...hate to tell you, but the Green Wave will bid them a fond farewell starting in about 5 hours. S Alabama plays an annoying sort of Ozzie ball, which is hell when you have a weak catcher like we do. The winner of the Oxford regional will host.

Saw your game last night, Okie...could have gone either way; beating Ark and then Oral twice will be quite a feat (although Oral may not have much pitching depth...I don't know).

SouthSide_HitMen
06-04-2006, 02:09 PM
I think you meant Rice...Houston's 2 and out in Norman Oklahoma.

Lot of love for s alabama here...hate to tell you, but the Green Wave will bid them a fond farewell starting in about 5 hours. S Alabama plays an annoying sort of Ozzie ball, which is hell when you have a weak catcher like we do. The winner of the Oxford regional will host.

Saw your game last night, Okie...could have gone either way; beating Ark and then Oral twice will be quite a feat (although Oral may not have much pitching depth...I don't know).

Yes - I meant Rice in Houston.

I'm glad Nebraska will be nowhere near Omaha and hope the SEC gets more than four teams into Super Regionals. If Georgia, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Arkansas and / or Miss St. can run the gauntlet and win three straight they will hopefully join Alabama (Roll Tide Roll!!!), Ole Miss and South Carolina. I don't want the ACC (Virginia, NC & Clemson plus NC State with an outside chance) to have as many / more teams than the greatest American Conference.

OkStateSox
06-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Arkansas (Oral Roberts - Bye Bye OkStateSox :tongue: )

Hey, if we can get past the Piggies today then I like our chances to take 2 from ORU. We are 0-3 against them this year and they are out of quality pitching.

OkStateSox
06-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Pokes end the Pigs season 6-5 with a diving catch to save a game winning 2 run HR in the bottom of the ninth.

Now its time to take 2 from the Eagles.

Viva Medias B's
06-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Defending national champion Texas...

THEY GONE!

The Longhorns fell to NC State who, in turn, lost to Stanford.

OkStateSox
06-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Well the season comes to an end for OSU. I blame it on the NCAA selection committee and the mmp who called a horrible interference called on a double play that ended a possible huge inning for us with bases loaded and 2 already in.

ilsox7
06-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Well the season comes to an end for OSU. I blame it on the NCAA selection committee and the mmp who called a horrible interference called on a double play that ended a possible huge inning for us with bases loaded and 2 already in.

Now them are some sour grapes!

HawkDJ
06-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Glad to see UNC easily advance to the supers.

OkStateSox
06-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Now them are some sour grapes!
Nah, that really should have been in teal. we did earn the right to play at home in a regional when other teams had not. It will take a new stadium (which is coming) to guarantee that we host every successful year we have. Also, the interference call was horrible, I have seen thousands of slides into second happen that way and none had been called out for interference. Of course we ended up losing 9-2 so blaming a loss on that call is soley circumstantial, but that ump DID pull a "hightower" to try to get in the paper, in turn crushing our momentum.

peeonwrigley
06-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Nah, that really should have been in teal. we did earn the right to play at home in a regional when other teams had not. It will take a new stadium (which is coming) to guarantee that we host every successful year we have. Also, the interference call was horrible, I have seen thousands of slides into second happen that way and none had been called out for interference. Of course we ended up losing 9-2 so blaming a loss on that call is soley circumstantial, but that ump DID pull a "hightower" to try to get in the paper, in turn crushing our momentum.
Two things:

1. I just got home from visiting my girlfriend's relatives in Nashville, and Comcast Sports South was showing the regional with Vandy, GTech, scUM, and mighty Stetson. The 2nd base interference was talked about quite a bit... apparently the rule is now that if any part of the runner's body goes all the way across 2nd base on a slide to break up a double play, the double play is granted. Even if no contact is made. There were at least 2 arguments I remember in the 3 games I watched parts of that related to this rule.

What a stupid rule.

2. Excellent non-bball season use of the "hightower". Especially from a non-Big 10er.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Updated Brackets (Regional Winner)

Super Regionals (Best of three)

Clemson: Clemson (1) vs.
Fayetteville: Oral Roberts (3)

Lexington: College of Charleston (2) vs.
Atlanta: Georgia Tech (1)

Fullerton: Cal State Fullerton (1) vs.
Malibu: Missouri (4) vs. Pepperdine (1) winner

Chapel Hill: North Carolina (1) vs.
Tuscaloosa: Alabama (1)

Houston: Rice (1) vs. Baylor (3). Repeat if Baylor wins vs.
Norman: Oklahoma (1) vs. Wichita St. (3) winner

Charlottesville: South Carolina (2) vs. Evansville (3) winner vs.
Athens: Georgia (1) vs. Florida State (2) winner

Norman: Miami, Fla (2) vs.
Oxford: Ole Miss (1)

Corvallis: Oregon St. (1) vs.
Austin: Stanford (3)

Tragg
06-05-2006, 08:51 AM
If you can't host, it's also nice to play a team that hasn't been there before and rarely sees post season...see Virginia and Kentucky.

Anyway you slice it, Okie State was a bubble #1 and a bubble team to host. Several other teams had equal hosting claims. Arkansas leads the nation in attendance and will get the LSU hosting treatment for years (although they don't have near the accomplishments overall that LSU has).

That interference call was horrible.
Ole Miss killed us in the game with 2 strikes and 2 outs.
Losers bracket ball isn't easy.

Va and N Carolina got pretty easy regionals. They need to start seeding these things 1-4.

OkStateSox
06-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Two things:

1. I just got home from visiting my girlfriend's relatives in Nashville, and Comcast Sports South was showing the regional with Vandy, GTech, scUM, and mighty Stetson. The 2nd base interference was talked about quite a bit... apparently the rule is now that if any part of the runner's body goes all the way across 2nd base on a slide to break up a double play, the double play is granted. Even if no contact is made. There were at least 2 arguments I remember in the 3 games I watched parts of that related to this rule.

What a stupid rule.
What is so bad about it is that the second baseman made a perfect throw to first and our guy just beat it out. He wasnt literally wasnt interfered with at all, in a physical sense. Stupid rule that ruined a game.

2. Excellent non-bball season use of the "hightower". Especially from a non-Big 10er.
Well the big 10 and 12 split refs for basketball so I see more than enough of Hightower, trust me.

ChiSoxRowand
06-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Anybody see the awful call in the Fullerton-Fresno game last night? Fresno's center fielder dove and caught a ball, but if fell out while he was taking it out of his glove (after he got up!) and the ump called it a hit. There were runners on second and thrid and the guy ended up getting a triple. One of the worst calls I have ever seen. CSF probably would have won anyway, but it was still a horrible call.

OkStateSox
06-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Anyway you slice it, Okie State was a bubble #1 and a bubble team to host. Several other teams had equal hosting claims. Arkansas leads the nation in attendance and will get the LSU hosting treatment for years (although they don't have near the accomplishments overall that LSU has).

Soon we will get that treatment to, with our history of fillling up regionals in Stillwater and the biggest (and possibly nicest) stadium in college baseball (not built yet). Add in ORU, WSU, or Arkansas and we would basically be guarenteed to sell the regional out.

OkStateSox
06-05-2006, 06:51 PM

Haha, looks like I was right. "Mizzou is on the move".

Once they finish off the Waves than its on to Cal State Fullerton. I would put my money on the Tigers right now.

D. TODD
06-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Glad to see UNC easily advance to the supers.Solid start now let's hope they can get past Bama!:gulp:

Tragg
06-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Soon we will get that treatment to, with our history of fillling up regionals in Stillwater and the biggest (and possibly nicest) stadium in college baseball (not built yet). Add in ORU, WSU, or Arkansas and we would basically be guarenteed to sell the regional out.
Maybe, but you've got to have the ballclub and it's been a while for Okie State. Many programs draw well and have done a lot more on the field in the last 10 years.
But with that huge stadium yall are planning on building, you may be right.

OkStateSox
06-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Maybe, but you've got to have the ballclub and it's been a while for Okie State. Many programs draw well and have done a lot more on the field in the last 10 years.
But with that huge stadium yall are planning on building, you may be right.
We return most of our lineup (we graduate 1, and 2 to 3 are risks to jump), most of our team is young and cant be drafted. If we can get our pitching fixed (Frank is supposed to be a very good pitching coach but I honestly havnt seen it yet) then the future could be very bright as early as next year.

OkStateSox
06-05-2006, 11:14 PM
:(: :angry: :(: :angry: :(: :angry: :whiner: :mad:
CRAP the Land Thieves just beat WSU to "advance" to get to slaughtered by Rice. They couldnt even sell out their regional WITH the Shockers there, playing until TODAY. That is embaressing for Baseball in Oklahoma.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Final Super Regional Brackets - Red # is National Seed, 1 - 8

1 Clemson (1) vs.
Oral Roberts (3)

College of Charleston (2) vs.
8 Georgia Tech (1)

5 Cal State Fullerton (1) vs.
Missouri (4)

North Carolina (1) vs.
4 Alabama (1)

2 Rice (1) vs.
Oklahoma (1)

South Carolina (2) vs.
7 Georgia (1)

Miami, Fla (2) vs.
Ole Miss (1)

Oregon St. (1) vs.
Stanford (3)

This little ditty goes out to OkStateSox from a lifelong fan of the greatest team in the state.

http://www.ci.norman.ok.us/links/boomer_sooner.htm

Conference Pride:

SEC - 4
ACC - 4
Big 12 - 2
Pac 10 - 2
Mid Continent - 1
Southern Conference - 1
Conference USA - 1
Big West - 1

Big Ten, Big East - 0

Roll Tide Roll!!! Bold teams are the one I want to advance.

peeonwrigley
06-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Since the B10 really doesn't have a chance in college baseball, I'll defer to my secondary rooting interest:

http://boifromtroy.com/archives/Ole%20Miss.jpg

OkStateSox
06-06-2006, 12:17 AM
This little dity goes out to OkStateSox from a lifelong fan of the greatest team in the state.

http://www.ci.norman.ok.us/links/boomer_sooner.htm

Greatest team in the state? Take a gander at these numbers

Total NCAA Titles (all time, all sports):

Oklahoma State - 48 (most in 49 states)
Oklahoma - 18 (ouch)

Oh whats that? Your saying that ou is the best BASEBALL program in the state? Oh contrair (or w/e)

OSU:
Big Eight record 23 conference championships
National record 16 consecutive conference championships (1981-1996)
33 NCAA Tournament berths, including 19 straight (1981-1999)
18 NCAA Regional titles
19 College World Series appearances, including NCAA record seven straight from 1981-87
Second-most appearances in NCAA College World Series

OU:
7 college world series apperances
2 conference tournament championships
9 regional titles

Just for Reference:
Regional titles: 18-9
Conference Titles: 24-2
CWS apperances: 19-7

Oh, now your saying that ou is the best baseball team in the state THIS year, and this year only?

Bedlam 2006 baseball record:
OSU 3 - OU 1

At least your rooting for Oral Roberts and Missouri, my two new teams.

OkStateSox
06-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Oh ya we cant forget this:

ou zuigt (Dutch)
l'ou suce (French)
ou saugt (German)
il ou succhia (Italian)
o ou suga (Portuguese)
el ou aspira (Spanish)
ou suger (Norweigan)
suck, ou does (Yoda)
ousa sucka (Gungan)
ye ou sucketh (Old English)
like, ou totally sucks (Teenager)
ou coceT (Russian)
ou-a uscks-sa (Pig Latin)
SKCUS UO (mirror)
ou omo (Hawaiian)
ou omoomo (Hawaiian--ou really sucks)
ou da lolo junk, brah, de wen go make ass fo' real (Hawaiian pidgin)
ou sooks (English with Scottish accent)
ou combibo (Latin)
ou suga (Swedish)
ou imaista (Finnish)
ou sjúga (Icelandic)
ou švindle (Czech)
ou ssie (Polish)
ou sisanje (Croatian)
OU imemas (Estonian)
OU is kloten (Flemish)
01 11010 (computer code)
111 117 32 115 117 99 107 115 (ASCII decimal)
6F 75 20 73 75 63 6B 73 (ASCII hex)
01101111011101010010000001110011011101010110001101 10101101110011 (binary)
--- ..- ... ..- -.-. -.- ... (Morse code)
ARRR! OU sucks, aye, that it does. (Pirate)

SouthSide_HitMen
06-06-2006, 01:36 AM
Greatest team in the state? Take a gander at these numbers.

Sorry but 44 of your 48 titles are in wrestling and golf (not much interest in those two).

Two basketball titles right after World War II (as Oklahoma A & M) and their baseball title in 1959.

Oklahoma Sooners:

Double the number of NCAA Baseball Championships (1951 & 1994 - we were alive for that one LOL)

Football dominance - 7 National Championships:
Bud Wilkinson - 1950 (AP, UPI), 1955 (AP, UPI), 1956 (AP, UPI),
Barry Switzer - 1974 (AP), 1975 (AP, UPI), 1985 (AP, UPI)
Bob Stoops - 2000 (BCS, AP, Coaches)

The Bedlam Game Series Total through 2005
OU 77, 7 Ties OSU 16

I tip my hat to your wrestling program's dominance over the years, care about college golf as much as Title IX sports and I hope you get the chance to see memorabilia from Oklahoma's 1994 NCAA Baseball Championship at the College Baseball Hall of Fame in beautiful Lubbock, Texas! :wink:

Clembasbal
06-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Final Super Regional Brackets

Clemson (1) vs.
Oral Roberts (3)

Roll Tide Roll!!! Bold teams are the one I want to advance.

Not going to happen....Oral Roberts might be the best team from the state of Oklahoma...but Clemson is hot and have destroyed TOP 25 teams all year.

AZChiSoxFan
06-06-2006, 12:25 PM

Very nice prediction. You were of course correct and I was wrong. :redface:

AZChiSoxFan
06-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Haha, looks like I was right. "Mizzou is on the move".

Once they finish off the Waves than its on to Cal State Fullerton. I would put my money on the Tigers right now.

I realize I'm on shaky ground here, since I laughed at you when you predicted Mizzou to win the regional. Nonetheless, CSF is a vastly superior team to Pepperdine. Plus, it's not exactly as if Mizzou rolled through the regional. Of they four games they won in a row, I believe the first 3 were by one run. I'm predicting CSF wins the first two games this weekend (obviously any prediction I make must be taken with a large grain of salt).

AZChiSoxFan
06-06-2006, 12:39 PM
This little ditty goes out to OkStateSox from a lifelong fan of the greatest team in the state.

Southside, How many college teams do you cheer for??

SouthSide_HitMen
06-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Southside, How many college teams do you cheer for??

All of them. :D:

"My teams" ranked in order of importance:

1. Alabama (All Sports)
2. Any team coached by Robert Montgomery Knight (currently Texas Tech)
3. Penn State (Mainly Football)
4. Oklahoma (All Sports)
5. Ole Miss (All Sports)

Honorable mention

Basketball - Georgetown, IU.

My hate list would be much longer. :redneck

I cheered for Northwestern from the mid 1970s - mid 1990s but no longer do so after the events of the past decade.

I went to Illinois Chicago but they imploded their hockey team and I could care less about their other teams.

I like the SEC conference and hate the Big & Pac Ten. I have no horses in the ACC or Big East (outside of Georgetown in BBall).

OkStateSox
06-06-2006, 02:44 PM
All of them. :D:

"My teams" ranked in order of importance:

1. Alabama (All Sports)
2. Any team coached by Robert Montgomery Knight (currently Texas Tech)
3. Penn State (Mainly Football)
4. Oklahoma (All Sports)
5. Ole Miss (All Sports)

Were you at the 2004 cotton bowl?

OkStateSox
06-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Sorry but 44 of your 48 titles are in wrestling and golf (not much interest in those two).

Two basketball titles right after World War II (as Oklahoma A & M) and their baseball title in 1959.

Oklahoma Sooners:

Double the number of NCAA Baseball Championships (1951 & 1994 - we were alive for that one LOL)

Football dominance - 7 National Championships:
Bud Wilkinson - 1950 (AP, UPI), 1955 (AP, UPI), 1956 (AP, UPI),
Barry Switzer - 1974 (AP), 1975 (AP, UPI), 1985 (AP, UPI)
Bob Stoops - 2000 (BCS, AP, Coaches)

The Bedlam Game Series Total through 2005
OU 77, 7 Ties OSU 16

I tip my hat to your wrestling program's dominance over the years, care about college golf as much as Title IX sports and I hope you get the chance to see memorabilia from Oklahoma's 1994 NCAA Baseball Championship at the College Baseball Hall of Fame in beautiful Lubbock, Texas! :wink:

Hey I'm not saying that ou isnt better at Football, but besides that their fans dont care, not even for Baseball or Basketball. There as big a one sport school as it's poossible to find. OSU has the far superior overall athletic program.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Were you at the 2004 cotton bowl?

I was in Vegas that New Year but I watched / enjoyed the game in the Sportsbook. Living in Chicago I've been to a few NU games (the latest watching and cheering Joe Paterno's squad in a high scoring affair last season).

I plan to head to Bama for the Iron Bowl within the next few years and I want to get to Bobby Knight's 880th win next season if at all possible.

I don't hate OSU and actually rooted for your team during Eddie Sutton's tenure. I also respect Hank Iba's legacy being a Coach Knight fan.

I like Bama and Ole Miss which are rivals (I cheer for Bama in all contests). The only rival I hate among my five favorite teams is Auburn. Most of my hate is reserved for Big Ten teams. CBS' SEC deal is the only thing that keeps me sane during college football season.

I just wanted to give you a zinger after your post regarding OU's victory on Monday. Plus deep down you wanted to hear Boomer Sooner to start the day. :redneck

Oklahoma has their work cut out for them this weekend and hopefully they will show the same fighting spirit they had coming back this season.

AZChiSoxFan
06-06-2006, 05:16 PM
I cheered for Northwestern from the mid 1970s - mid 1990s but no longer do so after the events of the past decade.

What's the story with that? You must be a glutton for punishment. You cheered for them when they would barely win one game a year, then you stopped cheering for them when they actually had some good teams in football.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-06-2006, 05:28 PM
What's the story with that? You must be a glutton for punishment. You cheered for them when they would barely win one game a year, then you stopped cheering for them when they actually had some good teams in football.

Growing up in Chicago they were our local team (even though the press promotes Illini sports over NU) and I like underdog teams in general (I am a White Sox fan afterall). I still have the newspaper after they beat NIU to snap their 34 game losing streak.

I cheered for NU in the Rose Bowl but afterwards the convictions for point shaving / gambling by their players, the death cover up of Rashidi Wheeler and some political events I won't get into here were the reasons of the erosion of my support. I like their basketball team (and coach Bill Carmody who is a class act).