PDA

View Full Version : Sundays edition of Talking Baseball on am1000

Hangar18
05-29-2006, 04:21 PM
I was doing some painting and plastering yesterday, when I decided to tune in to Bruce Levineline and his sports show. Chet Coppock was the special host. And they immediately talked about Whats wrong with the Cubs. and why arent they hitting. And what about Baker. And the bullpen hasnt been working. And why cant the Cubs win. And more Cub. and More Cub. And more Cub. After well over an hour, I screamed WHOCARES, why not talk about the recent SOX loss. They Talked about as much Cub as they could, and couldnt talk anymore Cub because the show ended a few hours later.

Some of the Guests included John McDonough, Jim Hendry. Every question posed to these two were very softball in scope, and often had the answer already built in......
Coppock: Is the reason Dusty hasnt had a lot of luck because he and Ozzy have different styles?
McDonough: Yes, Ozzie has a different style than Dusty
:angry:

They had reporters at Wrigley for the pregame, and of course interviewed cub players. The show was about to end, and Coppock FINALLY got a SOX question in, asking Levineline quickly if Mackowiak/Anderson platoon situation something the SOX are going to go with. Levineline answered it,
took a Cub caller moaning about whats wrong with the Cubs blah blah and that was it. The SOX garnered themselves 2 minutes worth of attention.

Hangar18
05-29-2006, 04:34 PM
this morning, on the SOX Flagship Station am670, the hosts were Baum and Steve Olken. They Wept and Wailed, Gnashed their Teeth, wondered what was wrong with the Cubs, why werent they winning, surmising that maybe Wrigley isnt conducive to Pierre and thats why they arent winning,
taking Cub calls from "lifetime" cub fans or even better "diehard" (since98) fans, and how they deserve a Winner here and why cant they win and when is Lee coming back. The hosts continued talking Cub for hours and Moaned and Groaned about the direction of the team, and how they wont win, and why is the hitting so bad .....................

..............when they took a call from "Marty", he said why are the 2 hosts continueing to weep and wail and whine about whats wrong with the Cubs.
The hosts said because they stink and its a big story. Marty then challenged them to define "big story" and why is a team thats STINKS a bigger story than a team thats at the top of the baseball heap recordwise and just won the World Series.

The 2 hosts were baffled for a moment, but kept right on saying that Losing is a bigger story. Marty was unfazed and told them that the Cubs Losing isnt big news here, theyve been losing for many many years, and why is this surprising them, and who cares about the Cubs.

The 2 buffoon hosts said Cubs Losing was a bigger story because thats what sells. One of them, who I believe was Baum, said "Winning is Boring" and that what could they say about the White Sox?

Marty said there was a TON they could talk about the White Sox, the unsettled bullpen, the lashing Ozzie gave his team. The Hosts, became Unruly and than told Marty "ok Marty, you want to talk SOX go ahead, talk about the SOX"
Marty said they were missing the point, THEY should be working to talk about the SOX instead of just rehashing over and over "whats wrong withthe Cubs". He again reiterated that the Cubs Losing isnt news. Theyve always been losers. The Hosts were now mad and being rude, "Cmon Marty, go ahead talk about the SOX" Marty tried to remind them that THEY were the hosts, they are the programming "OK Marty" They hung up on him and one of the hosts said " like I said, you have nothing to say, because Winning is Boring. Theres just nothing to talk about".

I nearly drove off the ROAD I was LIVID and the stupid LAZY attitude that has pervaded the Chicago Media for the last 20 years.
Yeah Right. WINNING IS BORING. What a bunch of BS.

Cheers to Marty, for calling these Bozos on the Carpet and embarrassing them on the air.

Hangar18
05-29-2006, 04:44 PM
also on during the Am1000 Talking Baseball/Talking Cub morning show,
they openly salivated over the "hot start" of the Detroit Tigers. Coppock and Levineline talked about how the Tigers have the Best Record in Baseball, they were winning with Great Starting Pitching, excellent Timely Hitting, and
how they are surprising everyone in the AL. They did stats on some of their players, and said they deserved the attention they were getting in baseball. (Reminds of of another team that was surprising everyone in the AL last year, with great Starting Pitching, excellent timely hitting, and having the best record in the Baseball at the time-only that team DIDNT GET ANY ATTENTION IN CHICAGO)

They then interviewed Dave Dombrowski, and was a good intereview, good questions, and the hosts Openly gushed about how GOOD the Tigers were (last year, media HERE gave the sox no mind, saying LETS WAIT TIL THE BREAK and see if theyre that good, OR THIS CANT LAST, Hitting isnt that Good)

WSox8404
05-29-2006, 05:09 PM
The response that sports talk hosts keep using when it comes to talking to the Sox is starting to piss me off. If the Cubs were 33-17 they wouldn't stop talking about them. Since it is the Sox they have to come up with an excuse. Using that excuse that no one wants to talk about the Sox because winning is boring is an absolute joke. It just goes to show you how stupid some people are.

LongLiveFisk
05-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Using that excuse that no one wants to talk about the Sox because winning is boring is an absolute joke. It just goes to show you how stupid some people are.

Exactly. Some of us still remember 1984, 1989, and even 1998 and for some reason back then it wasn't "boring" to talk about a winning team. :rolleyes:

SoxEd
Hangar - I admire the determination with which you pursue your crusade to try to get the media in Chicago to play fair, but I am starting to think you should invest in an i-Pod and turn off the radio.

If the Score is over-hyping the Lovable Losers and ignoring the Palehose, then I'm right with you on the righteous indignation front, but if AM1000 or WGN are ignoring the Sox, then don't listen to them.

Or, better still, write to them AND any companies that advertise heavily with them, and tell them that they have gone down in your estimation, because they are buying airtime from such obvious shills, and that you will be boycotting their product until they change their advertising policy.

On the printed-media front, ignore the Trib (the conflict of interest obviously means they'll NEVER be fair until their owners divest themselves of the Cubs), but keep up the good work against the Sun-Times.

I'd write to the Sun-Times and point out that if they started to favor the Sox over the Cubs, they would:
1) make their readership feel better about themselves - because they are reading about (and therefore associating themselves with) Winners, rather than inveterate Losers, and that;
2) these happier readers will therefore be in the mood to spend more money, so;
3) the paper will therefore get more advertising revenue as advertisers see their sales increase. Also;
4) they'd also be 'setting the trend', rather than following in the footsteps of the (more-famous) Trib, and;
5) differentiating themselves from the Trib (or, does their non-sports Editorial policy already do this?), rather than merely aping their main competitor.

I'd point out that a sports-editorial policy of favoring the Sox 'has legs' (in the medium term at least), because the World Champion Sox have locked-in their Pitchers for several years, and that success brings the fans.
(You could cite the Sox' attendance record as proof.)
Point out that a growing Sox fanbase currently has NO natural champion in the print media, and that they are currently missing the opportunity to BE that champion.

Then again, what do I know?
I am neither a Marketing expert nor a Media baron.
Still, it's got to be worth a try, no?

Slainte,
Ed.

DickAllen72
Tomorrow the BIG story on all the sportstalk shows is going to be the Cubs won a game today. They broke their six game losing streak! That's a big story. The Sox winning two in a row is boring.....

Maximo
05-29-2006, 06:42 PM
Heaven forbid the Sox going on one of these futility streaks, but if they do.....do you expect to hear "what's wrong with the Sox?"......"why can't the Sox win?"......."whose fault is it..Kenny or Ozzie's?".....24/7 on the radio?

I doubt it.

MarySwiss
05-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Tomorrow the BIG story on all the sportstalk shows is going to be the Cubs won a game today. They broke their six game losing streak! That's a big story. The Sox winning two in a row is boring.....
EXACTLY! I had people over today, watching the games. And right after the Cubs won--make that "didn't lose," I said, "There will be nine stories in the Tribune tomorrow about how the Cubs have broken out of their slump, have started their winning streak, and--with the help of Kerry and Prior--will soon be a team to reckon with."

Echhh!

BTW, anybody notice that the Cubs broadcasters were careful not to post Kerry Wood's record? I believe it's a stellar 1-1. Scary, huh?

MarySwiss
05-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Heaven forbid the Sox going on one of these futility streaks, but if they do.....do you expect to hear "what's wrong with the Sox?"......"why can't the Sox win?"......."whose fault is it..Kenny or Ozzie's?".....24/7 on the radio?

I doubt it.

I don't. In the unlikely event that this would happen, that's exactly what we'd hear. Kind of like last year's "Choke Watch."

DickAllen72
05-29-2006, 07:02 PM
EXACTLY! I had people over today, watching the games. And right after the Cubs won--make that "didn't lose," I said, "There will be nine stories in the Tribune tomorrow about how the Cubs have broken out of their slump, have started their winning streak, and--with the help of Kerry and Prior--will soon be a team to reckon with."

Echhh!

BTW, anybody notice that the Cubs broadcasters were careful not to post Kerry Wood's record? I believe it's a stellar 1-1. Scary, huh?

Plus we're also going to have to endure hourly updates on how sore/stiff Kerry Wood's shoulder is for the next five days.

SOXBOY
05-29-2006, 07:56 PM
I understand the problem but who cares.The Sox are the champs and maybe again this year.I don't care if we don't get the same treatment as the cubs as long as we win.In the end all that matters is winning.Sox pride is about us,so who cares about them(cubs.media,whoever).

Dan Mega
05-29-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm not shocked. When the national media gives the Sox more love than the local media, there is a problem.

gr8mexico
05-29-2006, 09:31 PM
I understand the problem but who cares.The Sox are the champs and maybe again this year.I don't care if we don't get the same treatment as the cubs as long as we win.In the end all that matters is winning.Sox pride is about us,so who cares about them(cubs.media,whoever).I Agree WHO CARES!!!!! Enjoy championship baseball in the south side and stop crying already:whiner: :whiner:

Brian26
05-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Chet Coppock was the special host.

Henry- Just to be fair to Coppock, he's always been fair and supportive to the Sox. He hosted the "Save Our Sox" Rally back in '87 at Daley Plaza when things were looking bleak. He was at the Cell last year down the stretch. I high-fived him after the Crede homer against the Indians.

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-29-2006, 10:39 PM
If winning is boring, then what the hell do you guess they'd talk about IF the cubs had the same record as the sox? Lets say they both have the same record. Cubs get more attention? You bet your bottom dollar.

rwcescato
05-29-2006, 11:09 PM
this morning, on the SOX Flagship Station am670, the hosts were Baum and Steve Olken. They Wept and Wailed, Gnashed their Teeth, wondered what was wrong with the Cubs, why werent they winning, surmising that maybe Wrigley isnt conducive to Pierre and thats why they arent winning,
taking Cub calls from "lifetime" cub fans or even better "diehard" (since98) fans, and how they deserve a Winner here and why cant they win and when is Lee coming back. The hosts continued talking Cub for hours and Moaned and Groaned about the direction of the team, and how they wont win, and why is the hitting so bad .....................

..............when they took a call from "Marty", he said why are the 2 hosts continueing to weep and wail and whine about whats wrong with the Cubs.
The hosts said because they stink and its a big story. Marty then challenged them to define "big story" and why is a team thats STINKS a bigger story than a team thats at the top of the baseball heap recordwise and just won the World Series.

The 2 hosts were baffled for a moment, but kept right on saying that Losing is a bigger story. Marty was unfazed and told them that the Cubs Losing isnt big news here, theyve been losing for many many years, and why is this surprising them, and who cares about the Cubs.

The 2 buffoon hosts said Cubs Losing was a bigger story because thats what sells. One of them, who I believe was Baum, said "Winning is Boring" and that what could they say about the White Sox?

Marty said there was a TON they could talk about the White Sox, the unsettled bullpen, the lashing Ozzie gave his team. The Hosts, became Unruly and than told Marty "ok Marty, you want to talk SOX go ahead, talk about the SOX"
Marty said they were missing the point, THEY should be working to talk about the SOX instead of just rehashing over and over "whats wrong withthe Cubs". He again reiterated that the Cubs Losing isnt news. Theyve always been losers. The Hosts were now mad and being rude, "Cmon Marty, go ahead talk about the SOX" Marty tried to remind them that THEY were the hosts, they are the programming "OK Marty" They hung up on him and one of the hosts said " like I said, you have nothing to say, because Winning is Boring. Theres just nothing to talk about".

I nearly drove off the ROAD I was LIVID and the stupid LAZY attitude that has pervaded the Chicago Media for the last 20 years.

Cheers to Marty, for calling these Bozos on the Carpet and embarrassing them on the air.

I heard the same thing. What is really sad is if the flubs were winning they would not say that winning is boring and the flubs winning is the big story.
When June gets here if they finally are sick of the flubs the main story will be about the Bulls draft pick. When July gets here it will all turn to the Bears season. Its still the same BS but once again who cares we are the Defending Champs and if we can pull it off again then we can tell the media to kiss our behinds.
GO YOU WHITE SOX!!!!!
Rich

DumpJerry
05-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Hangar, you seem surprised by this.....one word:bandwidth. I mean, can't you just say "Sports blab radio in Chicago is Cubflessed! I know it when I see it."?

Why can't you enjoy the success the sox are enjoying? Why care about the Cubs and what they say on the radio? We already know the sox rule!

White_Sock
05-30-2006, 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by Hangar18
Some of the Guests included John McDonough, Jim Hendry. Every question posed to these two were very softball in scope, and often had the answer already built in......
Coppock: Is the reason Dusty hasnt had a lot of luck because he and Ozzy have different styles?
McDonough: Yes, Ozzie has a different style than Dusty
:angry:

Don't fret if they mention Oz. It's free publicity for the Sox. This question/answer implies that Ozzie implicitly possesses the ability to succeed as a Chicago manager whereas Dusty does not. It is subversive to Cub loyalists and defeats their spirits bringing them one step closer to becoming Sox fans.

The real qestion is: Do you really want to see former Cub fans at the ballpark? Such individuals create more revenue for the Sox while at the same time they create a more Wrigley-like atmosphere as they appear at the Cell more and more. Is it worth it?:?:

sullythered
05-30-2006, 03:10 AM
You know, normally I'd say "who cares," and that it's not worth the crying and moaning, but this is really starting to get to me. I am a sports fan, and a White Sox fan. Sometimes, while I'm working or otherwise, I want to be able to turn on the radio and listen to some sports talk. I don't think it is an unreasonable request to ask that my favorite team, the World Series Champs, are the topic of discussion. It is really getting sick. Yes, there are still more cub fans than Sox fans. I understand that, but it's no reason to continually dismiss the Sox fans who call into these shows with the ever popular indignant "Ok, go ahead, talk about the Sox."

TDog
05-30-2006, 04:58 AM
I don't listen to sports radio, but I remember Dave Baum hosting a call-in show on WIND in the early 1970s before leaving for a gig in his beloved Cincinnati. He said once after visiting there that Riverfront Stadium was better than both Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park, but I'm sure he doesn't remember that.

Cubs fans don't deserve a winner. They have shown they are happy with their team losing in embarrassing ways. Their Cubs have shown this year that they are not loveable. They have shown through the years that when they get extraordinarily lucky and seem on the verge of going to the World Series, they screw it up -- comically. I honestly don't believe the Cubs will win a World Series in this geological age. That is precisely what those fans deserve. Just look at the crowds. They don't care that their team is losing. I have a lot of things I would rather listen to than sports radio, so I don't care what those clowns who think that because people show up at the ballpark they deserve a winner have to say.

They can go ahead and ignore the Sox. Cubs can continue to physically assault Sox players on the field when they can't beat them. Radio people can refuse to talk about them. There wasn't any room for them during the last homestand anyway.

The Sox aren't going away.

nasox
05-30-2006, 04:59 AM

I'll watch out for the flying tomatoes after I say this, but the fact that the Cubs won a game is a pretty big story. They haven't won a game in a week. We beat down a 500 team, albeit division rival, 11-0 and we have been winning, and winning consistently all season.

The Cubs win for the first time in the week.

Verses:

The Sox just keep on winning.

To me, the first line is a little bit more of a story (not to me, but in general). That and Carrie Wood pitched a pretty good game without killing himself. What has it been, fifteen months?

:duck:

white sox bill
05-30-2006, 07:20 AM
I don't listen to sports radio, but I remember Dave Baum hosting a call-in show on WIND in the early 1970s before leaving for a gig in his beloved Cincinnati. He said once after visiting there that Riverfront Stadium was better than both Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park, but I'm sure he doesn't remember that.

Cubs fans don't deserve a winner. They have shown they are happy with their team losing in embarrassing ways. Their Cubs have shown this year that they are not loveable. They have shown through the years that when they get extraordinarily lucky and seem on the verge of going to the World Series, they screw it up -- comically. I honestly don't believe the Cubs will win a World Series in this geological age. That is precisely what those fans deserve. Just look at the crowds. They don't care that their team is losing. I have a lot of things I would rather listen to than sports radio, so I don't care what those clowns who think that because people show up at the ballpark they deserve a winner have to say.

They can go ahead and ignore the Sox. Cubs can continue to physically assault Sox players on the field when they can't beat them. Radio people can refuse to talk about them. There wasn't any room for them during the last homestand anyway.

The Sox aren't going away.

Agreed. Isn't it amusing that the fact that flub fans always boast about their "wonderfull" fan base, and its this same "wonderfull" fan base which, ironically, keeps them deadlocked in mediocrity.

Lillian
05-30-2006, 08:47 AM

I heard that broadcast too. My reaction was similar to yours. Simply maddening!!!

MadetoOrta
05-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Let me know when you all want to start inundating these morons with emails. I'm game.

Dick Allen
05-30-2006, 09:27 AM
What frosts me about all this is that this is the Sox FLAGSHIP STATION. Try turning on the Cubs' joke of a flagship station, and you will never hear the Sox even mentioned, unless they're playing the flubs. Yes, the Score is an all-sports station and has to give some time to the flubs - but not the majority of it!!! I tuned in a couple of times last night and listened to their fill-in clowns. It was all Cub talk every time I tuned in, and I'm talking a few hours apart.

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 09:30 AM
What frosts me about all this is that this is the Sox FLAGSHIP STATION. Try turning on the Cubs' joke of a flagship station, and you will never hear the Sox even mentioned, unless they're playing the flubs. Yes, the Score is an all-sports station and has to give some time to the flubs - but not the majority of it!!! I tuned in a couple of times last night and listened to their fill-in clowns. It was all Cub talk every time I tuned in, and I'm talking a few hours apart.

The SOX Flagship station, yesterday was 95% CubTalk.
Did WGN, the Flagship station of the Cubs talk 95% SOX? NO.
Did WGN at least talk 10% White Sox? NO.

PINWHEELS
05-30-2006, 10:05 AM
:woo-woo Hangar 18, We Love You Man! LOL.

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 11:54 AM
I managed to get ahold of Bruce Levinelines Topic Sheet for their show
on Sunday.
* whats wrong with the Cubs
* why cant we win
* why are the pitchers always hurt
* why is the hitting so bad

Guest is Cubs VP John McDonough
* they ask JM whats wrong with cubs
* JM says cubs are worldwide
* JM says Cubs bleachers most sought after tix in baseball
* JM says cub fans best in baseball
* JM kisses Coppocks butt
* Coppock kisses JM butt
* JM kisses Levineline butt
* Levineline says Bleacher Remodeling phenomenal;commend cubs
* Levinline says Cub Tv ratings Way Down
* JM says not because of SOX, because fans find other things to do
* JM says Tribune openly decided to market the Stadium instead of cubs

Jim Hendry is guest
* JH is asked whats wrong with cubs
* JH says cub fans best in baseball
* JH says they are desperate for help, noone is trading (in other words,
Marlins and Pirates wont give them players right now)
* JH optimistic about season, says hold on
* Coppock asks about Pierre
* Coppock asks about Prior
* Coppock asks about Baker

Take Calls. All callers asked about Cubs.
* whats wrong with cubs
* why arent they getting more hitters
* why arent cubs getting more pitching
* fan says they are best in baseball, they deserve a championship
* fan asks about Cuban

Next guest is Bobby Cox of Atlanta Braves.
* Ask him whats wrong with the Cubs
* ask him what he thinks of Baker
* ask him whats wrong with cubs hitting
* Cox seems annoyed that they want to talk totalcub, but he plays along

Next Guest is Chip caray
* ask him whats wrong with Cubs
* ask him why arent cubs hitting
* ask him what he thinks of cub pitching
* ask him does he wish he was still a cub announcer
* ask him what he thinks of Cubs (knowing he will be diplomatic about organization and gratuitously say Fans were "great")
* says Fans were great to him
* ask him what he thinks of Cub fans. Caray to his credit, backhandedly
said Cub fans will fill the park no matter what

Coppock then talks with Levineline. They talk about red-hot Tigers.
* talk about great start
* talk about great pitching
* talk about great hitting/timely
* talk about manager Leyland, what good job hes doing
* talk about Tigers being in 1st place in May, best record in baseball
* Levineline gushes about Tigers

Next guest is Dave Dombrowski
* ask about Tigers
* ask about hitting
* ask about pitching
* ask about Leyland
* ask about many former SOX personell that hes brought with him to Detroit, but never says the words WHITESOX.
* Levineline reminds everyone that McPhail has won 2 WS, Baker has been Mgr of year 3 times, Dombrowski has won a WS, Leyland has a WS, says theres lots of talent here (not sure where he was going with this-but never mentioned the SOX)

Show is about to end ..............
Coppock FINALLY talks about SOX
* asks about Mackowiak and Anderson
* Levineline talks about Anderson
Coppock asks about (Bird-Killer) Jae Kuk Ryu
* Levineline likes his stuff, no mention of bird killing

Show ends ...............

SOXPHILE
05-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Ahhh..the universal response at the Score when a caller calls and says they should, maybe, talk just a teeny weeny bit more about the defending World Champs, and maybe, just maybe cut back a little on the re-re-re-re-re-re-re-hashing about what'swrongwiththeCubswhydotheystinkwhatcanwedoboo oohooooohooooooo !!!

"You wanna talk more about the Sox ? O.K., go ahead..talk about the Sox...come on caller...talk about them." Jerks.

hawkjt
05-30-2006, 12:39 PM
face it- even on a national basis- sox are still ignored- example:

last nite the 11;00pm baseball 2nite;

They promoted Thomes return to the Jake in the opening highlight montage
No sox highlights
They promoted it again at the half hour- still no hightlights

Their order of highlights

yankees- long feature on randy johnson included
mets- more feature stuff
Bonds- long segment
boston
A's stadium in their 30 parks in 30 days series
A's game vs rangers
virtually every team that played
Cubs
Then at 11:54 pm , 54 minutes after promoing Thome and the world champs several times they manage to slip a 30 second highlight of the sox which showed three plays- two homers by thome and boone falling on his head.
A quick comment about the booing of thome and on to web gems.

They decided to show the world champs last of all the games in mlb yesterday.

Is this totally based on ratings?- obviously it is a big part of it with the NY teams always leading and boston right behind.

I hate to be a whiner but somehow I thought the defending world champs at 33-17 would not be considered the last baseball story in the nation.

Just win , sox.

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 12:45 PM
face it- even on a national basis- sox are still ignored- example:

Is this totally based on ratings?- obviously it is a big part of it with the NY teams always leading and boston right behind.

I hate to be a whiner but somehow I thought the defending world champs at 33-17 would not be considered the last baseball story in the nation.

Nope, not based on ratings, seeing how Cub broadcasts are DOWN 45% (stone talked about it too) and SOX broadcasts are WAY WAY WAY UP.

They cant use the Ratings excuse anymore .........
the networks should just come out and ADMIT they dont like the SOX.