PDA

View Full Version : Question about Vazquez

OrlandoPaleHose
05-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Living in FL i don't get to see as many games as I like, and I think this might be the first time I've had the chance to see Vazquez pitch this year.

I've always been a fan of his, even when he had his couple of bad seasons with NY and AZ, and to be honest he looks pretty unhittable today. Is this inidicative of how he's been pitching all year and he's just victim of a bad inning here and there or is this just a really good day?

EDIT - can't believe i spelled question wrong in the thread title... oh well

oeo
05-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Living in FL i don't get to see as many games as I like, and I think this might be the first time I've had the chance to see Vazquez pitch this year.

I've always been a fan of his, even when he had his couple of bad seasons with NY and AZ, and to be honest he looks pretty unhittable today. Is this inidicative of how he's been pitching all year and he's just victim of a bad inning here and there or is this just a really good day?

He's brought a couple of perfect games into the 5th-6th innings this year. They were against the Royals, but overall he's pitched very well. Like you mentioned, he gives up a big inning here and there, and as long as he can stay away from that, he will be pretty dominant.

Soxfanspcu11
05-29-2006, 02:58 PM
He's brought a couple of perfect games into the 5th-6th innings this year. They were against the Royals, but overall he's pitched very well. Like you mentioned, he gives up a big inning here and there, and as long as he can stay away from that, he's pretty dominant.

The only really "Big Inning" I remember from him was that one against Toronto. It is possible that he had another and I just forgot.

But other then that one inning, I believe he has been pitching AMAZING.

KNOCK ON WOOD

Also, he certainly does not look like the 5th starter.

jongarlandlover
05-29-2006, 03:01 PM
He's been pitching pretty well all year, and like you said, he's just been the victim of a big inning a couple starts this year. Otherwise, he's been great. He's given up 5 or less ERs in his last 7 out of 9 starts.

oeo
05-29-2006, 03:01 PM
The only really "Big Inning" I remember from him was that one against Toronto. It is possible that he had another and I just forgot.

KNOCK ON WOOD

He also had one in Minnesota a couple weeks ago, that really never should have been. A few bad umpiring calls mostly caused that one, but he was still leaving the ball right there for them to hit.

samram
05-29-2006, 03:06 PM
He's been pitching pretty well all year, and like you said, he's just been the victim of a big inning a couple starts this year. Otherwise, he's been great. He's given up 5 or less ERs in his last 7 out of 9 starts.

Javy's been very good this year, but 5 ER's is not the standard for good major league pitchers.

Soxfanspcu11
05-29-2006, 03:07 PM
He also had one in Minnesota a couple weeks ago, that really never should have been. A few bad umpiring calls mostly caused that one, but he was still leaving the ball right there for them to hit.

Oh yeah. I remember that one now. Wasn't that the one where the Sox and umps gave the Twins like 8 outs in one inning??? I think I tried to block that from my memory.

jongarlandlover
05-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Javy's been very good this year, but 5 ER's is not the standard for good major league pitchers.

I realize that.

He's given up 3 or less ERs in 6 out of his last 9 starts.

Better?

OrlandoPaleHose
05-29-2006, 03:14 PM

KNOCK ON WOOD

awesome.... thanks for the insight

i love this team and this staff they have... even though Garland has been shakey, it is the best in the game... now if the bullpen could only get it together

Also, thanks for not replying with a "Go F yourself" or some other nonsense that seems to be the norm at other Sox Forums

TheOldRoman
05-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Javy has been very good, but all in all, he has been way too inefficient. He is throwing too many pitches and not going very deep into games.
Today, for example, he has dominated, but he has 104 pitches through 6 innings, and is likely done (though he should be because of the score, anyway). Giving up 2 hits through six innings is very good. Throwing 100+ pitches is not. He needs to bring his pitch number down so he can go deeper into games.

samram
05-29-2006, 03:16 PM
I realize that.

He's given up 3 or less ERs in 6 out of his last 9 starts.

Better?

Yep. He's been a very nice addition this year.:smile:

Soxfanspcu11
05-29-2006, 03:27 PM

i love this team and this staff they have... even though Garland has been shakey, it is the best in the game... now if the bullpen could only get it together

Also, thanks for not replying with a "Go F yourself" or some other nonsense that seems to be the norm at other Sox Forums

People tell you to go **** yourself at other forums???

Wow, that's pretty ****ty. Thank God WSI is the only one I am a member of!

IlliniSox4Life
05-29-2006, 03:29 PM
He carried that no hitter earlier in the year into the seventh, and another one into the fifth I believe. He's definately a great addition. I think pitching with our defense behind him along with the offense this year has really helped him. He has no hit stuff, and wouldn't be surprised if he got one this year, but then again I wouldn't be surprised if any of our guys had a no hitter this year.

IlliniSox4Life
05-29-2006, 03:32 PM

By the way, Welcome! :welcome:

WSI is by far the best Sox forums on the net I've read. You should be quite happy posting here. I've come to learn as long as you are respectful here, you will be respected.

OrlandoPaleHose
05-29-2006, 03:36 PM
People tell you to go **** yourself at other forums???

Wow, that's pretty ****ty. Thank God WSI is the only one I am a member of!

yeah... i just jumped on the Sox forum thing to try and keep up with what people are talking about when I moved to FL last April, and just stumbled upon WSI today... I really like it here because people talk about baseball (gasp) and actually offer insight and opinion rather than contempt and name calling

Soxfanspcu11
05-29-2006, 03:38 PM
yeah... i just jumped on the Sox forum thing to try and keep up with what people are talking about when I moved to FL last April, and just stumbled upon WSI today... I really like it here because people talk about baseball (gasp) and actually offer insight and opinion rather than contempt and name calling

That's what I really like about it here as well, it's mostly baseball talk by educated baseball fans.

The Mods here won't put up with bull**** from people, which I love.

nasox
05-29-2006, 03:56 PM
I'll call this a Preemptive Teal Strike.

Teal is used for sarcasm. This is teal. This is not teal. Or this. Or this. Or this.

The Teal Police Watches over the abusers of teal.

Deep pink is used for a pipedream.

With that lesson, welcome to WSI.

Fuller_Schettman
05-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Javy has been very good, but all in all, he has been way too inefficient. He is throwing too many pitches and not going very deep into games.
Today, for example, he has dominated, but he has 104 pitches through 6 innings, and is likely done (though he should be because of the score, anyway). Giving up 2 hits through six innings is very good. Throwing 100+ pitches is not. He needs to bring his pitch number down so he can go deeper into games.

Being the strikeout pitcher that he is, you will never see Vazquez being thrifty with his pitch count....

FedEx227
05-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Exactly, Buehlre and Garland hes not, he goes deep into counts and won't be a very consistent CG pitcher (although he has 19 in his career) , but I've been happy with him so far. Outside of a bad inning in Toronto and a bit of lazy pitching in TB hes been VERY solid.

Great addition and great job by Kenny to look beyond W-L for Vazquez and into the facts that hes usually in the top 10 in hits per 9 innings, base on balls per 9 innings, strikeouts per 9 innings and earned runs.

SoxEd
05-29-2006, 04:36 PM
....and just stumbled upon WSI today... I really like it here because people talk about baseball (gasp) and actually offer insight and opinion rather than contempt and name calling
Welcome to the best board (site?) on the worldwideinterweb.

I found it in 2003 (shortly after I started watching baseball 'properly'), and I have never looked back.

I have learnt almost everything that I know about baseball on these boards, there are some real funny posters here, and I don't have to put up with a Plague of Trolls.

Make sure you also check out all of the features on the 'home' page, and the 'Memories of Old Comiskey' sister site.

WSI rules.

chaotic8512
05-29-2006, 04:46 PM
I'll call this a Preemptive Teal Strike.

Teal is used for sarcasm. This is teal. This is not teal. Or this. Or this. Or this.

The Teal Police Watches over the abusers of teal.

Deep pink is used for a pipedream.

With that lesson, welcome to WSI.

OrlandoPaleHose, be lucky that you get this lesson. :tongue: It took a me a little bit to figuring out what the deal was with the deep pink/teal. WSIers are a tricky bunch... but it's definitely the home of the most knowledgeable Sox fans. Found it amidst the beginning of last year's WS run... very good timing.

One note though, you might not find teal in the world of "What's the Score"... sarcasm seems to be a primary language over there.

On the note of Vazquez though, it was amazing to see him put up such a dominating performance today against the Toons... certainly gives us great hope that he can dominate any team if he can dominate THAT offense. That trade with the D'backs is looking better and better by the day. :D:

Palehose13
05-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Hey!!! Stop being nice to the neophyte!

ChicagoHoosier
05-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Help me here, since I hear both... Is it VasKez or VasKWez? How do you pronouce his last name?

And, is it JavieR or JavieA?

Thanks!

batmanZoSo
05-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Help me here, since I hear both... Is it VasKez or VasKWez? How do you pronouce his last name?

And, is it JavieR or JavieA?

Thanks!

It's JavieR. JavieA would be how a French person might pronounce it. And Vaskwez would be the Americanized pronunciation...skez is the right way.

samram
05-30-2006, 02:25 PM
It's JavieR. JavieA would be how a French person might pronounce it. And Vaskwez would be the Americanized pronunciation...skez is the right way.
:hijacked:

I remember in the movie "Traffic," one of the DEA agents kept calling Benicio del Toro's character JavieA and I don't know if that was an intentional mispronunciation or not, but it's definitely JavieR.

drewcifer
05-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Great addition and great job by Kenny to look beyond W-L for Vazquez and into the facts that hes usually in the top 10 in hits per 9 innings, base on balls per 9 innings, strikeouts per 9 innings and earned runs.

Yep, and he's a horse too just like the other guys. 200IP+ no problem.

ChicagoHoosier
05-30-2006, 03:24 PM

Thanks Batman! Regardless of how it's pronounced, I love him on our team. Heard on the Score today from the Sun Times Sox beat writer how Garland is basically pitching himself out of the playoff rotation and potentially off this team.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-30-2006, 03:33 PM

:welcome:

When Vazquez' curve is biting it can be awfully tough to hit like it was yesterday. If he leaves it hanging, as he usually does in 4 or 5 starts a season, he is in big trouble.

I went to one of his starts in April 2004 (he was with New York) and the White Sox hitters looked like little league hitters seeing a curve for the first time.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B04210CHA2004.htm
New York Yankees IP H R ER BB SO HR
Vazquez (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/Pvazqj001.htm) W(2-1) 8 5 1 1 2 6 1

He has always been one of my favorite pitchers and outside of a bad second half in 2004 (his arm was dead - he is a workhorse who ate more innings than he should have in Montreal) and a few outings last season, he is one of the best pitchers in baseball over the past ten years - I'd put him in the top 30.

I think he is our third best (behind Buehrle and Contreras (at this point)) which shows how strong this staff is. His best stuff is why Kenny has been after him for years and I think he will be one of our best pitchers for many years to come.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/v/vazquja01.shtml

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5947

There are not many 29 year olds in MLB with his resume - 95 Wins, among the active leaders in Ks, Ks / BBs, Ratio, Ks. He has played for some awful Expos teams (he is one game under .500 while the teams he played for are a combined 72 games under). He answers the bell every fifth day and is a very good strikeout pitcher who pitches very good to excellent for 30 of the 35 starts he makes each year. You really can't ask for more than that.

FedEx227
05-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Yep, and he's a horse too just like the other guys. 200IP+ no problem.

You gotta love a guy who can go out there and give you innings no matter what. It especially works on an Ozzie run team, where starting pitchers pitch.

WhiteSoxRich
05-30-2006, 04:04 PM

Can't you just feel the love??

MarySwiss
05-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Can't you just feel the love??

Okay, OrlandoPaleHose; THIS is a perfect example of something that should be in teal, but isn't. Unless, of course, he really means it. :cool:

Oops, I forgot to put the little Welcome thingee in, dammit!