PDA

View Full Version : Question about Skydome, er, Rogers Centre

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Hopefully BabyFisk or another member from the weeping tundra of our friendly northern neighbor can answer this question for me:

Since Rogers Centre has a retractable roof, why don't the owners install a natural grass field?

It seems to me that grass could work there - it works for other outdoor stadiums, even NFL stadiums like those in northern cities like Chicago, Green Bay and Foxboro.

This has almost nothing to do with my observation that the Sox seem to struggle on artificial turf. :redneck

Thanks!

Baby Fisk
05-29-2006, 10:05 AM
The roof is only open a fraction of the year (ie. a few hours on sunny days). Also, the Rogers Centre is a multi-purpose facility that hosts concerts, auto shows, public gatherings, etc., that are not conducive to a grass surface (or would end up destroying the grass).

Don't you like the unique parquet turf? It's like they took 1,000 office putting greens and lay them all side-by-side. The effect is breathtaking.

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2006, 10:53 AM
The roof is only open a fraction of the year (ie. a few hours on sunny days). Also, the Rogers Centre is a multi-purpose facility that hosts concerts, auto shows, public gatherings, etc., that are not conducive to a grass surface (or would end up destroying the grass).

Thanks for the answer, Baby Fisk!

That's too bad. Once the Twins get a new stadium, IIRC the Black Jays and the Devil Rays will be the only MLB teams who will continue to play on artificial turf.

Incidentally, do the Argos also play at Rogers Center? Out of curiousity, do any CFL teams play on real grass?

Baby Fisk
05-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Incidentally, do the Argos also play at Rogers Center? Out of curiousity, do any CFL teams play on real grass?
The Argos play at the Rogers Centre. The only CFL team that plays on grass is the Edmonton Eskimos (Commonwealth Stadium).

JohnBasedowYoda
05-29-2006, 12:00 PM
The only CFL team that plays on grass is the Edmonton Eskimos (Commonwealth Stadium).

Another reason to love that jewel of the north.

I want Mags back
05-29-2006, 05:17 PM

yeah thats what the tour guide said when i was there in August
and the place was sert up for the upcoming Argos game, since the Jays were on a long roaddy

DSpivack
05-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Another reason to love that jewel of the north.

No kidding. It really is a nice city. And the Oilers!

MILTMAY5
05-29-2006, 11:22 PM
I was at field level for batting practice ( Saturday) and with the sun beating down all you could smell was the distinct aroma of tires!