PDA

View Full Version : A study in contrasts

Ol' No. 2
05-28-2006, 07:28 PM
After losing two straight to Toronto, Ozzie Guillen had this to say (LINK) (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060527soxgamer,1,4591288.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines):
"If they don't like what I say, [expletive] them," Guillen said in a six-minute tirade. "They can pack their [stuff] and do whatever they want to do.

"But we're better than this, way better than this. If you want to be third place, second place or fourth place, keep playing like that. If you want to win this thing, we have to be better.

"And this [stuff] should stop right now. Not because Detroit is winning. I always say if we get beat, that's fine with me as long as I think we play well. I can't lose a game like that.

"But we didn't do anything to win this game."

The Sox stranded 13 runners, but Guillen didn't cite specific players.

"They know who they are," he said. "Look in the mirror and say, 'I screwed up. I didn't do what I was supposed to do.'

"Right now, I might play nobody [Sunday]."
After getting swept in two straight series, Dust Baker had this to say (LINK) (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060527cubsgamer,1,4733766.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines):
"We got a lot of hits. We just didn't get a hit when it counted," manager Dusty Baker said. "That's been the story lately. It was a real good game, a well-played game on both sides. We just couldn't come up with that clutch hit."

SoxEd
05-28-2006, 07:31 PM
See, this just highlights what we already know -

The Cubbies have a classy Manager who will always be ready with a supportive word for the team - the Cubbies know that Dusty has their back!

It just shows what a classless organisation the Sox are that their Manager kicks their players when they're down!

itsnotrequired
05-28-2006, 07:52 PM
:rolling:

Trav
05-28-2006, 10:56 PM
This is one of the best posts...ever. How a Chicago sports "Journalist" does not pick up on this is beyond me. I continue to be amazed by the lack of integrity by the scum times. I don't want to ruin this thread so I will stop there. Great post.

Vernam
05-28-2006, 11:09 PM
That's what I kept thinking all day, Ol' #2. The Sox are great, but Ozzie knows they should be better. The Cubs are ****, and Dusty gives them permission to get worse.

I almost never tune in even an innning of the Flubs, but I was drawn to it today -- I wanted to see if the Braves could hit their record 8th HR, and then I wanted to see how the Flubs would blow it after forcing extra innings. I loved how, after Ramirez took the popup right off his noggin, Kasper had to point out: "He got a piece of it with his glove." Right, just barely, as if that makes any difference. It was close enough to count as a whiff in my book. :roflmao:

Ozzie wants us firing on all cylinders for the Cleveland series. And he was right to call the guys out yesterday for not moving runners over.

Vernam

Ol' No. 2
05-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Listening to the post-game comments on the news tonight, it's clear the whole "it's nobody's fault" attitude has infected the entire team. Barrett is tired of the negatives and wants to focus on the positive (whatever the hell THOSE might be). Perez has no idea what to do. Dusty is just hoping to get it turned around. At no time does anyone ever take any responsibility or suggest their crappy play has anything to do with it.

Meanwhile, Ozzie puts a well-placed boot in a few behinds and his team responds with a win.

samram
05-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Listening to the post-game comments on the news tonight, it's clear the whole "it's nobody's fault" attitude has infected the entire team. Barrett is tired of the negatives and wants to focus on the positive (whatever the hell THOSE might be). Perez has no idea what to do. Dusty is just hoping to get it turned around. At no time does anyone ever take any responsibility or suggest their crappy play has anything to do with it.

Meanwhile, Ozzie puts a well-placed boot in a few behinds and his team responds with a win.

Barrett is really one of the big idiots in baseball, isn't he? You know it's just a matter of time before he blames Brenley and/or Kaspar for their woes- that's why he's giving us the focus on the positive bull****- you know, negative vibes, dude, that's the problem.:rolleyes:

Perez has no idea what to do because he's a bad player. He doesn't hit for average or power, isn't particularly good on defense, but he's a quintessential Dusty player because he's old. Hell, pump him full of steroids and he'll be Dusty's favorite player ever.

As for Dusty himself, Boers and Bernstein made an interesting observation the other day: When it comes to issues in a single game, he'll usually stick up for the guy and defend him (the Perez bunt play, for instance); however, when it comes to the big picture, he'll very slyly throw them under the bus because, you know, come on, dude, I don't know why he does that. Ask him, dude. It was never like this in San Fran, dude.

thomas35forever
05-29-2006, 12:45 AM
This shows just how passionate each manager is about his team. According to Ozzie, losing two games in which you played poorly means your team's in trouble because you could be doing a lot better. Dusty on the other hand is just like "Oh well. We just got swept twice in a row. Let's move on to the next series and hope for the best."

TheOldRoman
05-29-2006, 01:57 AM
:rolleyes:
I don't really consider giving up 13 runs a "well-played" game.

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-29-2006, 02:27 AM
just goes to show you that a manager does impact the game

TDog
05-29-2006, 05:58 AM
I was thinking this very thing when I saw Baker's comments. maybe he is kicking butt behind the scenes (something I've seen no evidence of) but if I were a Cubs fan, I wouldn't feel much confidence with what he had to say publicly.

it just struck me, though, that this contrast is not just limited to the managers, but to fans. Ozzie was saying what many of us believed, what we wanted him to say. How did the Sox fail to score in extra innings Saturday? How did they only score one in the 9th? Sox fans want to win. They demand it.

Cubs fans say they do, but they don't really.

I heard a lot of Cubs fans were lamenting "why can't win win the World Series" and talking about how much better attendance there would be for the parade if they did.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 offered so many answers.

TornLabrum
05-29-2006, 08:10 AM
That's what I kept thinking all day, Ol' #2. The Sox are great, but Ozzie knows they should be better. The Cubs are ****, and Dusty gives them permission to get worse.

I almost never tune in even an innning of the Flubs, but I was drawn to it today -- I wanted to see if the Braves could hit their record 8th HR, and then I wanted to see how the Flubs would blow it after forcing extra innings. I loved how, after Ramirez took the popup right off his noggin, Kasper had to point out: "He got a piece of it with his glove." Right, just barely, as if that makes any difference. It was close enough to count as a whiff in my book. :roflmao:

Ozzie wants us firing on all cylinders for the Cleveland series. And he was right to call the guys out yesterday for not moving runners over.

Vernam

Yeah, I had the Cubs on PiP from the time their game started through the end of the Jackhammers game, which I turned on when the Sox game was over. Then it got moved up to the big picture in time for Atlanta to deliver the crushing blow.

If my 90-year-old aunt wasn't such a huge Cubs fan, my glee would have been unrestrained. No, I'm not Flubsessed, it's just that I love great comedy.

Ol' No. 2
05-29-2006, 09:27 AM
:rolleyes:
I don't really consider giving up 13 runs a "well-played" game.Did you hear that other little gem? "At least we cut down on the walks." Yeah, that's one way to cut down on walks all right. :rolling:

southside rocks
05-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Barrett is tired of the negatives and wants to focus on the positive (whatever the hell THOSE might be).

The paychecks, and the fact that the season is about a third over already -- those would be the bright spots in Michael Barrett's day. Oh, and the fact that he soon gets to take a break of 10 games from the whole stinking mess. Gotta wonder if he appealed the suspension hoping to get 20 games off.

soxruleEP
05-29-2006, 09:46 AM
In an interesting sidelight, Baseball Tonight did not show the pop-up hitting Ramirez in the noggin. They just showed the runner being driven in from third with no reference to how he got there.

Do you think that would be the case if any other team had lost a game like that?

Trav
05-29-2006, 01:11 PM
In an interesting sidelight, Baseball Tonight did not show the pop-up hitting Ramirez in the noggin. They just showed the runner being driven in from third with no reference to how he got there.

Do you think that would be the case if any other team had lost a game like that?
So they talked about the game winning play as if it were a hit? That is just poor journalism. But back to Barry Bonds hitting 715!

Steelrod
05-29-2006, 01:40 PM
The paychecks, and the fact that the season is about a third over already -- those would be the bright spots in Michael Barrett's day. Oh, and the fact that he soon gets to take a break of 10 games from the whole stinking mess. Gotta wonder if he appealed the suspension hoping to get 20 games off.
If I was him, I would!

soxruleEP
05-29-2006, 03:20 PM
So they talked about the game winning play as if it were a hit? That is just poor journalism. But back to Barry Bonds hitting 715!

The game winning play was the hit, but the guy wouldn't have been on third were it not for Ramirez's classic play.

Flight #24
05-29-2006, 03:25 PM

IIRC, not too long ago, Ozzie said that in his mind, that's the real job of the manager - to set the attitude for the team. Truer words were never spoken. Accountability is the key. To your teammates and the organization.