PDA

View Full Version : Sox Ain't That Good...

StrTrkker
05-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Thats according to this moron who wrote this letter to the editor in the June 02 2006 issue of The Sporting News...

"Growing up on the South Side and loving the Cubs, I can say I hate the White Sox and always have. If the Cubs were playing the bulk of their games against the Royals, Twins and Indians, they'd probably have one of the best records in baseball, too."

Hmmmmm...
Isn't it funny how last year the exact same logic (if you wanna call it that) was used for the 2005 White Sox. And yet, this genius fails to mention that the 2005 Cubs played just as many games against teams like The Pirates, Brewers, and Reds and still wound up having nothing but a dismal season to show for it.

VenturaFan23
05-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Wow, I can't believe the Sporting News actually thought that was 'print-worthy' and put that crap in their magazine. I would've laughed at it and tossed it in the garbage.

DumpJerry
05-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Publications like to print moronic letters. They entertain the readers.

TDog
05-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Publications like to print moronic letters. They entertain the readers.

They do. Cubs fans should be complaining that this guy makes all of them look like idiots.

Many don't see him as being an idiot, but the joke is on them.

Ol' No. 2
05-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Thats according to this moron who wrote this letter to the editor in the June 02 2006 issue of The Sporting News...

"Growing up on the South Side and loving the Cubs, I can say I hate the White Sox and always have. If the Cubs were playing the bulk of their games against the Royals, Twins and Indians, they'd probably have one of the best records in baseball, too."

Hmmmmm...
Isn't it funny how last year the exact same logic (if you wanna call it that) was used for the 2005 White Sox. And yet, this genius fails to mention that the 2005 Cubs played just as many games against teams like The Pirates, Brewers, and Reds and still wound up having nothing but a dismal season to show for it.He forgot that the Cubs had three easy games against the Marlins last week. Oh, wait...:cool:

spiffie
05-28-2006, 10:58 PM
There's still a print version of The Sporting News?! That to me is the big news out of this. Their average subscriber must be somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 years old I would assume.

thomas35forever
05-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Typical Cubs fan behavior. I'm sure Yankees fans are saying the same thing about the Mets. If you think that's bad, consider the following inscription written in my yearbook:

"It's May 25. The Sox are in 2nd. The Cubs are in 5th. By the end of the year, the Cubs will be in 1st. Sox suck. Sox suck. Michael Barrett took out A.J."

TDog
05-29-2006, 03:55 AM
There's still a print version of The Sporting News?! That to me is the big news out of this. Their average subscriber must be somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 years old I would assume.

I got The Sporting News when I was a teenager and in my early 20s. I haven't seen it for about 25 years. When they started ignoring baseball for football and basketball I let my subscription lapse. The Mirror-Times buyout ruined it.

It might have been during the 1982 baseball season that they sent me an offer to subscribe. I could get this deal if I checked "yes" next to the football on the prepaid post card and returned it. They would bill me later. I wrote in "no" and a box next to it, checked that and mailed in the post card, being sure first to photocopy it.

When they demanded payment, I sent a copy of what I had sent them, repeating my note at the bottom that I didn't want their publication if they were going to cover football. I had their magazines in a pile in the corner if they wanted to come and get them.

That was the last I ever heard from them.

SBSoxFan
05-29-2006, 07:06 AM
I got The Sporting News when I was a teenager and in my early 20s. I haven't seen it for about 25 years. When they started ignoring baseball for football and basketball I let my subscription lapse. The Mirror-Times buyout ruined it.

It might have been during the 1982 baseball season that they sent me an offer to subscribe. I could get this deal if I checked "yes" next to the football on the prepaid post card and returned it. They would bill me later. I wrote in "no" and a box next to it, checked that and mailed in the post card, being sure first to photocopy it.

When they demanded payment, I sent a copy of what I had sent them, repeating my note at the bottom that I didn't want their publication if they were going to cover football. I had their magazines in a pile in the corner if they wanted to come and get them.

That was the last I ever heard from them.
:D: Good for you Tdog. They were probably like: "Come get them, huh? Oh he lives in Alaska .... oh **** it!"

SOXSINCE'70
05-29-2006, 09:01 AM
consider the following inscription written in my yearbook:

"It's May 25. The Sox are in 2nd. The Cubs are in 5th. By the end of the year, the Cubs will be in 1st. Sox suck. Sox suck. Michael Barrett took out A.J."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Here we go again.Sadly,there are people who will tell you
that "the fight" was AJ's fault,not Barett's.

Dan H
05-29-2006, 07:02 PM
All Cubs fans have is their usual moronic logic. A Cub fan at work again had to tell me about their attendance championship and that the Sox couldn't be all that good because the Cubs salvaged that last game of the series, and look, the Sox are behind Detroit. It goes on and on. But again we have to be peppered with stories about another Mark Prior rehab start. What is really amazing is not only are Cub fans willing to say this stupid stuff in private, they are more than willing to put it in writing and put it out there publicly.

JB98
05-29-2006, 07:05 PM
All Cubs fans have is their usual moronic logic. A Cub fan at work again had to tell me about their attendance championship and that the Sox couldn't be all that good because the Cubs salvaged that last game of the series, and look, the Sox are behind Detroit. It goes on and on. But again we have to be peppered with stories about another Mark Prior rehab start. What is really amazing is not only are Cub fans willing to say this stupid stuff in private, they are more than willing to put it in writing and put it out there publicly.

But I can't hear the Cubs fans because I have my White Sox World Championship replica rings plugging my ears. :cool:

CynicSox
05-29-2006, 07:09 PM

Michael Barrett was on edge, coming to the slummy ghetto southside, he had to react! Maybe AJ was going for his wallet...

Anyone else notice that Cubs fans are even more annoying (apparently its possible) this year compared to last?

hsnterprize
05-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Michael Barrett was on edge, coming to the slummy ghetto southside, he had to react! Maybe AJ was going for his wallet...

Anyone else notice that Cubs fans are even more annoying (apparently its possible) this year compared to last?
They're desperate, or in denial. That's the only logic I can think of as to why so many Cubs fans are still trying to "rain on our parade" when Stevie Wonder could see the Cubs are sucking worse than an old vacuum cleaner. Anything...and I mean ANYTHING the Cubs fans can think of to make their team look good when just about everyone with 1/2 a brain tied behind their back can see it differently will suffice. Real Cubs fans know the real story, and they're making their voices heard more and more each time the Sox win.

oeo
05-29-2006, 10:47 PM

Hmmmmm...
Isn't it funny how last year the exact same logic (if you wanna call it that) was used for the 2005 White Sox. And yet, this genius fails to mention that the 2005 Cubs played just as many games against teams like The Pirates, Brewers, and Reds and still wound up having nothing but a dismal season to show for it.
:rolling:

The Cubs are one of those teams. They're definately not better than the Twins; it's close between them and the Royals, though.

Two of the best teams in baseball right now are in the AL Central, and the Indians are underachieving at this point. This is one of the toughest divisions in baseball, period.

FedEx227
05-29-2006, 11:24 PM

For me its been half and half. Some of the ones I know have sort of seen the light that the Cubs organization is a complete joke and that the team is just awful. Yet there is still that annoying, I love Old Style half that responds "you guys don't play anybody, you get lucky, etc".

Steelrod
05-30-2006, 02:16 AM

Actually, In my world they have been kinda quiet this year.
I ALWAYS answer any Cubs-Sox arguement with,
" I can't imagine what you are going thru now that we are World Champs. I was always concerned about how I would feel if it was me going thru it, but instead it is you!"

nasox
05-30-2006, 04:03 AM
I get the sporting news for free. I signed up somewhere online. This is my second free subscription. I really only read the baseball part and skim through the rest. They did have a nice full page on Iguchi's amazing ninth inning play on Molina in the same issue. There's a thread on it around somewhere, although the OP got the publication wrong. He put SI instead of SN.:o:

Dick Allen
05-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Typical Cubs fan behavior. I'm sure Yankees fans are saying the same thing about the Mets. If you think that's bad, consider the following inscription written in my yearbook:

"It's May 25. The Sox are in 2nd. The Cubs are in 5th. By the end of the year, the Cubs will be in 1st. Sox suck. Sox suck. Michael Barrett took out A.J."Who wrote this, Michael Barrett?

McCuddy
05-30-2006, 08:45 AM
I make it a rule to disregard anyone who writes a letter to a paper with an opinion on sports. Same thing for the people who write lousy jokes about current events to the Sun-Times editorial board, or people who call into the "Speak Out" section of the Southtown. If I took all those people seriously, I'd have ulcers.

miker
05-30-2006, 10:34 AM

Hmmmmm...
Its illegal to drive a car without a license, but anyone can be a parent or write a letter to the editor!