05-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Nice job fellas... way to get back into the win column. :cool:

:supernana:

WizardsofOzzie
05-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Hopefully cleveland dosen't implode

JUribe1989
05-28-2006, 03:59 PM
JD with a great game after that terrible baserunning in extras yesterday. Baaaaaaaad Bobby Jenks is becoming automatic.

whitesoxfan
05-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Nice way to head to Cleveland :)

CLR01
05-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Trade Konerko and Thome for Rowand. He's super clutch and would never go 0-5.

2.5 and rising.

JUribe1989
05-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Plus, Kenny Rogers was AWFUL today. What a nice day. What's the matter Detroit, falling apart? I think so.

jongarlandlover
05-28-2006, 04:03 PM
YES! That was a pretty good outing for Jon! :D:

JB98
05-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Nice to get a win after a couple of bad games to start this trip. Things tend to settle down after you get the first win on a tough road trip. I think we'll see the Sox play better baseball in Cleveland.

The Sox made it harder on themselves than they needed to. Garland was outstanding through five, and then he lost it all at once. But I thought McCarthy and Jenks did a fine job in relief. Let's get a winning streak going tomorrow.

WizardsofOzzie
05-28-2006, 04:04 PM
YES! That was a pretty good outing for Jon! :D:

i wouldn't say 5 runs is pretty good. Mediocre at best

SOXBOY
05-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Way too go Garland.Keep it going now.A big series with Cleveland,must win 3 of 4.

jongarlandlover
05-28-2006, 04:05 PM

It was a couple mistakes he made and a couple home runs that did it for him. But he was pitching inside a lot more.

WizardsofOzzie
05-28-2006, 04:06 PM
It was a couple mistakes he made and a couple home runs that did it for him. But he was pitching inside a lot more.

Thats a positive. I don't get CSN so im just stuck w/ gamecast

MadetoOrta
05-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Can everyone calm down? It's May and the Sox are doing quite well notwithstanding the fact that they have the bullseye on their collectiuve chests as reigning World Champs, started out 1-4, had a starter go on the DL and a CF and SS doing nothing at the plate.

Champs don't get swept.

Tigerslover
Plus, Kenny Rogers was AWFUL today. What a nice day. What's the matter Detroit, falling apart? I think so.

Nah I don't think so. Just had one of those days where nothing goes right. We'll regroup tomorrow against the Yanks.

SoxEd

Agreed, but, given that we had 6 on the board whilst he was in the game, it's good enough for me.

In the end, it doesn't matter how many total runs he gives up, as long as he gives up fewer than the opposition.

oeo
05-28-2006, 04:09 PM

That's two starts in a row. Up next is Bonderman who didn't do so well in his last start either. Verlander is the only one who's keeping pace.

jongarlandlover
05-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Thats a positive. I don't get CSN so im just stuck w/ gamecast

That sux. He was pitching inside a whole lot more than normal. Before the inning with the home runs, I'm pretty sure he'd only given up 2 hits. It's not that he was bad today, it was 2 home runs that scored 3 runs.

chisoxmike
05-28-2006, 04:13 PM

:rolling: Throw in Dye too.

:winner

On to Cleveland....

chisoxfanatic
05-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Yesssss!!! I think Mackowiak is starting to get some good confidence in his hitting!!! That's a great thing! Now, he needs to work on his defensive positioning in the field.

Decently pitched game by Garland, and Jenks was lights-out!

Let's hope Vazquez can hold Cleveland's offense down!

Go Sox!

chisoxfanatic
05-28-2006, 04:14 PM

:tealpolice:

:D:

SABRSox
05-28-2006, 04:15 PM
IT'S OFFICIAL!!! :supernana:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4364&d=1147671384

Now I hope the Big Unit can turn it around tomorrow. Fantasy-wise and beating the Tigers-wise.

MarySwiss
05-28-2006, 04:16 PM
First: As a Sox fan first, D'Backs fan second, I apologize for Overbay and Glaus.

Second: Nice to see Cleveland getting this out of their systems.

Third: Let's hear it for the Flubs. Through five, they've given up, what, 5 or 6 home runs? However, I think the Wrigley Field Boo-birds should just **** and take a look around. Hello, losers? Looking for someone to blame? How about YOURSELVES? Until you people stop showing up in droves, the Tribsters have no reason to put a winning team on the field. (Of course, Sox fans have been saying this for years.)

Fourth: It's good to be king.

Happy, happy, happy.....:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

CHISOXFAN13
05-28-2006, 04:16 PM

He pitched great baseball for 5 2/3 innings against a very good offensive club. This is a good sign.

EdHerman12
05-28-2006, 04:17 PM
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: Love that slump buster! And we thank you Tribe for your slap beatin' of the Motor City Kitties!

And now for all you boys and girls at home......LET'S GO BEAT THE HELL OUTTA THE TRIBE! AND HERE'S HOPING THE SKANKEES WALLOP THE TIGGERS!

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: <---------TO THE BOYS!

GO SOX!

jongarlandlover
05-28-2006, 04:19 PM
He pitched great baseball for 5 2/3 innings against a very good offensive club. This is a good sign.

Yes, yes, yes. It appears he's regaining some of that confidence that he admitted he was losing. It's good.

TheOldRoman
05-28-2006, 04:25 PM

2.5 and rising. Technically, it is 2.5 and sHrinking...

MrRoboto83
05-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Nice Win today, Garland looked good through 6 innings. Big Bad Bobby really looking good lately.

VenturaFan23
05-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Gregg Zaun pulls a "Rube"! That was classic! :D:

flo-B-flo
05-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Nah I don't think so. Just had one of those days where nothing goes right. We'll regroup tomorrow against the Yanks. Really now. I smell a little coming back to earth here. You will rue K Rogers when he starts hitting more bats than cameras.:smile:

beckett21
05-28-2006, 04:57 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4364&d=1147671384

Wow. Where did that come from? Never thought I'd live to see the day that this sign would be relevant. :D:

That poor sign would have had quite a workout for the past 20 years, huh? :redneck

SoxSpeed22
05-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Good job offense, McCarthy, Jenks, now stomp Cleveland.

CHEESESOXER
05-28-2006, 05:13 PM

Jerko couldn't find someone small to beat up.

CHEESESOXER
05-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Gregg Zaun pulls a "Rube"! That was classic! :D:
Since we're censored here by espncubune, I didn't see the game.
What did he do?

SABRSox
05-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Wow. Where did that come from? Never thought I'd live to see the day that this sign would be relevant. :D:

That poor sign would have had quite a workout for the past 20 years, huh? :redneck

I came up with that a little while back. Figured we might need it this season... hopefully not much longer, though.

itsnotrequired
Since we're censored here by espncubune, I didn't see the game.
What did he do?

He air-mailed the ball over the pitcher's head on a return throw after a pitch. Pods scampered in from third.

DumpJerry
So, how the heck did the Marlins win the World Series with Ozzie Guillen coaching Third? That guy sucked! He should be a Manager....

Grzegorz
05-28-2006, 06:08 PM
That's two starts in a row. Up next is Bonderman who didn't do so well in his last start either. Verlander is the only one who's keeping pace.

Bonderman is one helluva pitcher; I'll take him on my team...

The Tigers will be there in the end; their starting pitching will hold up (sans Rogers).

I see this division tightening; Cleveland will bring up Sowers which tightens up their starting staff and Minny has some strong starters too: Liriano, Santana, Radke, & Bonser. Plus, that stadium deal is like a B12 shot for the Twins.

Great baseball is ahead... Now, if we could just dump interleague play and get back to scheduling that provides head to head competition down the stretch...

TDog
05-28-2006, 06:23 PM
... We'll regroup tomorrow against the Yanks.

So you actually play for the Tigers?

MarySwiss
05-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Nah I don't think so. Just had one of those days where nothing goes right. We'll regroup tomorrow against the Yanks.

Welcome! :welcome: Always nice to see a refugee from another team who is looking to become a part of the best fan site on the Internet.

Meanwhile, re the whole regrouping thing....:rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
05-28-2006, 07:18 PM
i wouldn't say 5 runs is pretty good. Mediocre at bestYou must not have seen the game. He was solid into the 5th. The ball to Glaus was just bad pitch selection. Glaus moved back off the plate so he could get to that inside pitch...so a perfect time for a slider away, no? Instead they went with the same pitch on the inside corner, and Glaus, who was now set up perfectly, creamed it. AJ has to take part of the blame on that one.

slobes
05-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Weird how Garland let up more runs than the other starter but still got the win.
Glad to see the offense pull it together finally.

Frankfan4life
05-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Great win today. We really needed that! This team is too good to be losing series. However, despite how well the Tigers are playing, the Sox are only 2 1/2 games out of the lead.

Okay, White Sox, It's time for one of those 8-game winning streaks we had a lot of last year. :smile:

Lip Man 1
05-28-2006, 08:14 PM
I did not see the game simply read the recap and just watched the highlights on Comcast Sports Chicago Sports Nite.

It looked to me to be ugly, ugly, ugly. Garland had his big inning breakdown (and with two outs to boot!) but let's not lose site of the fact that they won. Coupled with Detroit finally losing a game (only their second in the last 17!) and today was a good day.

Say what you want about Ozzie but he knows how to push their buttons...they actually came out with some fire today.

Oh speaking of being flat, just thought of a possible reason why they looked like it on Friday and Saturday. Remember the Sox had played six straight very emotional games against the Cubs and frank Thomas' A's. I guess it's only natural to have a 'let down' against the 'all powerful' Toronto Blue Jays.

I'm not approving of it and I don't like it but I could see why it happened.

Let's play better in Cleveland.

Lip

Brian26
05-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Wow. Where did that come from? Never thought I'd live to see the day that this sign would be relevant.

I was thinking the same thing. In five years here, I've never seen the Tigers Lose sign.

BadBobbyJenks
05-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Nice Win today, Garland looked good through 6 innings. Big Bad Bobby really looking good lately.

Since the minnesota game Jenks has been just dominant. Everyone who was worried about bobby can stop now, hes got his velocity and is throwing the curve for strikes. The Oakland comeback, he was absolutely filthy and we should see 40+ saves out of baaaaad bobby jenks. When hes got the hammer working for him he is unhittable

Tigerslover
05-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Welcome! :welcome: Always nice to see a refugee from another team who is looking to become a part of the best fan site on the Internet.

Meanwhile, re the whole regrouping thing....:rolleyes:

Thanks much for the welcome. Should be fun this year around here I'm sure. As far the team regrouping I think they will do just fine in the games to come. Yanks got Johnson tomorrow and he's been struggling in the early going.

santo=dorf
05-29-2006, 12:25 AM
You must not have seen the game. He was solid into the 5th. The ball to Glaus was just bad pitch selection. Glaus moved back off the plate so he could get to that inside pitch...so a perfect time for a slider away, no? Instead they went with the same pitch on the inside corner, and Glaus, who was now set up perfectly, creamed it. AJ has to take part of the blame on that one.
These excuses for Jon have to stop.

How about Vernon Wells crushing two balls into the second deck about 10 feet from the foul pole?

He was just as unlucky as he was lucky today.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-29-2006, 12:50 AM

Well at least since the White Sox clinched the division in Detroit last year. :smile:

A perfect day - not a cloud in the sky or on the board. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
05-29-2006, 01:05 AM
These excuses for Jon have to stop.

How about Vernon Wells crushing two balls into the second deck about 10 feet from the foul pole?

He was just as unlucky as he was lucky today.So now we're counting long foul balls as home runs? Taking lessons from shoota?

1951Campbell
05-29-2006, 01:36 AM

Yes, but hey, it got quite a rest in 1984.

goon
05-29-2006, 02:23 AM
So now we're counting long foul balls as home runs? Taking lessons from shoota?

exactly. seems to me that in EVERY game there are at least a few balls that have home run distance that go foul off of each starting pitcher. jon pitched just fine today, barring what happened in the sixth. kudos to the people mentioning jon working the inside part of the plate, he has the fastball to do it and it really is his key to success... along with that sinker. big game tomorrow against a tough lefty in lee, should be interesting to see if the sox can get to him.

SBSoxFan
05-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Bonderman is one helluva pitcher; I'll take him on my team...

:rolleyes: I'm so tired of hearing how great Bonderman is

YR ERA
2003 5.56
2004 4.89
2005 4.57
2006 4.57

Hasn't pitched 200 innings yet, and likely won't this year either. Somehow he managed to win 14 games last year with a BAA of .271. Right now, he's a serviceable #5, but probably 2 or 3 in Detroit. Here, he'd be #7.

TornLabrum
05-29-2006, 07:54 AM
I did not see the game simply read the recap and just watched the highlights on Comcast Sports Chicago Sports Nite.

It looked to me to be ugly, ugly, ugly. Garland had his big inning breakdown (and with two outs to boot!) but let's not lose site of the fact that they won. Coupled with Detroit finally losing a game (only their second in the last 17!) and today was a good day.

Say what you want about Ozzie but he knows how to push their buttons...they actually came out with some fire today.

Oh speaking of being flat, just thought of a possible reason why they looked like it on Friday and Saturday. Remember the Sox had played six straight very emotional games against the Cubs and frank Thomas' A's. I guess it's only natural to have a 'let down' against the 'all powerful' Toronto Blue Jays.

I'm not approving of it and I don't like it but I could see why it happened.

Let's play better in Cleveland.

Lip

Somebody called in one of the sportsblab stations yesterday and mentioned that several Sox players were quoted as saying, "That's just Ozzie being Ozzie." But apparently Ozzie being Ozzie works because they actually executed pretty well when they needed to.

The one exception to that would be Uribe's holding his at out for a bunt about 15 minutes before each pitch so everyone knew they could set up a play to catch the lead runner at third base. Nice job, Juan!

TornLabrum
05-29-2006, 07:57 AM

Garland is the most effective he's been all year at pitching inside, and some people have to mention long foul balls. Hint to dorf: A long foul ball means the pitcher is being effective because he's pulling the inside strike pitch too much.

santo=dorf
05-29-2006, 11:14 AM
We mine as well if we're going to try to spin 3 home runs into being the catcher's fault.

Baby Fisk
05-29-2006, 11:33 AM
This game salvaged the series, obviously. It was a brutal weekend. Friday and Saturday it seemed the Sox bats were utterly shackled (except for Konerko's two solo shots on Friday). Where the heck was Jim Thome this weekend? At least Garland held it together for a win yesterday. There were pockets of Sox fans throughout the dome, especially on Saturday and Sunday. I expect better when the world champions return in August.

beckett21
05-29-2006, 11:48 AM
This game salvaged the series, obviously. It was a brutal weekend. Friday and Saturday it seemed the Sox bats were utterly shackled (except for Konerko's two solo shots on Friday). Where the heck was Jim Thome this weekend? At least Garland held it together for a win yesterday. There were pockets of Sox fans throughout the dome, especially on Saturday and Sunday. I expect better when the world champions return in August.

We'll need reinforcements up there since you obviously couldn't deliver a series victory for us. Thanks for nothing. :rolleyes:

:bandance:

jongarlandlover
05-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Garland is the most effective he's been all year at pitching inside, and some people have to mention long foul balls. Hint to dorf: A long foul ball means the pitcher is being effective because he's pulling the inside strike pitch too much.

Exactly. I'd say this is Jon's best outing so far (but I have missed a few cos of school-related stuff), he was pitching inside much more. I was pretty happy with his outing and so was Jon...

I felt great, I felt strong, Garland said after allowing 5 runs on 7 hits in 6 innings to improve his record to 4-2. I had good movement on my pitches and I was aggressive. Before, I was trying to be too fine, trying to make the perfect pitch every time.

SoxEd
05-29-2006, 04:00 PM
We'll need reinforcements up there since you obviously couldn't deliver a series victory for us.

Personally, I was intrigued by the aforementioned theory about a 'West effect'...

The Sox went 0-for-how many with him in attendance at Oakland's ballpark?

Or was that the other Bay area WSI guy's fault?

[Runs away to avoid the Vengeful Wrath of West]