PDA

View Full Version : Cooper take on Freddy

hawkjt
05-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Says that Freddy just did not have it last nite. It happens.

Says three guys need to pitch inside more- Garland,Javy, and Politte.

Everyone else is working both sides of the plate well.

But he aint losing any sleep. Good for Don.

JB98
05-27-2006, 07:42 PM

Says three guys need to pitch inside more- Garland,Javy, and Politte.

Everyone else is working both sides of the plate well.

But he aint losing any sleep. Good for Don.

Garland better pitch inside tomorrow. You have to work both sides of the plate against a good-hitting team like Toronto.

jongarlandlover
05-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Garland better pitch inside tomorrow. You have to work both sides of the plate against a good-hitting team like Toronto.

God, I hope he does...otherwise people are going to be screaming to trade him.

JB98
05-27-2006, 07:54 PM
God, I hope he does...otherwise people are going to be screaming to trade him.

Well, I won't be among them. I don't love Garland. I'm not that kind of guy. But I am squarely in Jon's corner when he's on the mound. :cool:

jongarlandlover
05-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Well, I won't be among them. I don't love Garland. I'm not that kind of guy. But I am squarely in Jon's corner when he's on the mound. :cool:

:D: that's good. it's been killing me, these past couple months. people are like screaming for his head when he hasn't been pitching horrible. he's given up 5 or less runs in 6 of his last 7 starts. yet, people still say he's terrible. he's only the fourth man in the rotation.

soxchick20
05-27-2006, 08:10 PM
:D: that's good. it's been killing me, these past couple months. people are like screaming for his head when he hasn't been pitching horrible. he's given up 5 or less runs in 6 of his last 7 starts. yet, people still say he's terrible. he's only the fourth man in the rotation.

AGREED!!!!! we need to give the man some time before giving up on him... he'll come around!!!:cool:

jongarlandlover
05-27-2006, 08:44 PM
AGREED!!!!! we need to give the man some time before giving up on him... he'll come around!!!:cool:

yes!! i have found fellow jon supporters!!! :D:

i definitely think he'll come around. what if we had given up on jose during his bad first half last year? jon'll get his confidence back and he'll be fine.

WizardsofOzzie
05-27-2006, 10:25 PM

I think people are on him just because he showed such flashes of dominance last year and this year he seems to have fallen off that path big time. He's not doing nearly what he did last year, and that was w/ less run support. Also its after he signed his new contract, so fans are expecting some good production for the $$

oeo
05-27-2006, 10:39 PM
I think people are on him just because he showed such flashes of dominance last year and this year he seems to have fallen off that path big time. He's not doing nearly what he did last year, and that was w/ less run support. Also its after he signed his new contract, so fans are expecting some good production for the $$

Exactly, he has very high expectations which he is not living up to. He hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't been great either. Will he be worth the money? We'll see, I hope he can turn it around.

SBSoxFan
05-28-2006, 09:11 AM

It seemed Freddy's location was aweful Friday. That just goes to show you how good Contreras is. He didn't really have it Saturday, yet he gave up 1 bogus run, and Freddy gave up 5 (?).

jongarlandlover
05-28-2006, 10:52 AM

I agree. But also he's lost his confidence. And on another note, he almost never has the regular lineup behind him.

soxchick20
05-28-2006, 12:13 PM
I agree. But also he's lost his confidence. And on another note, he almost never has the regular lineup behind him.

exactly!!! whenever garland is starting, there is always 1 or 2 backups in instead of the regular lineup. dont get me wrong, those backups are great. but thats another way to get his confidence down knowing that the starting lineup is not behind him.

WizardsofOzzie
05-28-2006, 02:28 PM

Today's lineup was actually better than usual with the exception of Iguchi being out. Anderson is slumping and Mack is on fire. Still a less than satisfactory outing by garland. 5 ER and his ERA is still over 6

jongarlandlover
05-28-2006, 03:08 PM
exactly!!! whenever garland is starting, there is always 1 or 2 backups in instead of the regular lineup. dont get me wrong, those backups are great. but thats another way to get his confidence down knowing that the starting lineup is not behind him.

bingo! it's not that the subs aren't good, but c'mon ozzie, he needs the regular lineup sometimes. if he had it all the time, then maybe he would have a better ERA and all. for example, that start against KC...it was really windy and ozuna was in the outfield instead of pods. he doesn't catch a ball and more runs are scored...to me, it just doesn't seem fair that some of the pitchers always seem to have that regular lineup and jon rarely (and i don't think ever this year) has it.

SoxEd
05-28-2006, 03:25 PM
to me, it just doesn't seem fair that some of the pitchers always seem to have that regular lineup and jon rarely (and i don't think ever this year) has it.
Now, I'm just shooting the breeze here but...

Given that Jon's locked-in for the next few years, he is perhaps less likely to get upset at playing in front of 'the B-team' than other SP's might.
(Of course, where this half-assed 'theory' falls down is when looks at how many Sox SP's are NOT already locked-in for several years... :wink:)

After all, if you are looking at a contract year, and your ERA & W-L stats get adversely affected by being 'stuck' with the 'B-team' behind you, you are probably looking at a less-lucrative future contract as a result.

If you feel that the team is 'lumbering' you with a sub-par defense, then it might affect your performance on the mound.

Of course, the positive spin that one can put on this (always having the replacements in when you are pitching) is that Ozzie & Coop feel that your temperament and ability are such that you are able to cope with this 'handicap' - i.e. it's almost a compliment.

jongarlandlover
05-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Now, I'm just shooting the breeze here but...

Given that Jon's locked-in for the next few years, he is perhaps less likely to get upset at playing in front of 'the B-team' than other SP's might.
(Of course, where this half-assed 'theory' falls down is when looks at how many Sox SP's are NOT already locked-in for several years... :wink:)

After all, if you are looking at a contract year, and your ERA & W-L stats get adversely affected by being 'stuck' with the 'B-team' behind you, you are probably looking at a less-lucrative future contract as a result.

If you feel that the team is 'lumbering' you with a sub-par defense, then it might affect your performance on the mound.

Of course, the positive spin that one can put on this (always having the replacements in when you are pitching) is that Ozzie & Coop feel that your temperament and ability are such that you are able to cope with this 'handicap' - i.e. it's almost a compliment.

You make some valid points there. Ozzie and Coop may feel that he's able to pitch without the regular lineup.

The only thing is, there's been a couple games where he could of benefited from having ther regular lineup behind him. once again, the KC start comes to mind. what if pods had been out there instead of ozuna?

TornLabrum
05-28-2006, 03:49 PM
I agree with something Hawk and DJ pointed out today, that this outing may have been Garland's best all year. He was pitching the ball inside effectively. I haven't seen all of his starts, but it's the first one I've seen him doing that. Something to build on.

jongarlandlover
05-28-2006, 03:53 PM
I agree with something Hawk and DJ pointed out today, that this outing may have been Garland's best all year. He was pitching the ball inside effectively. I haven't seen all of his starts, but it's the first one I've seen him doing that. Something to build on.

I agree with you and Hawk & DJ, this probably was Jon's best outing so far this year. Hopefully he'll start trusting his stuff more and pitches inside like he did today.

hawkjt
05-28-2006, 04:23 PM
I agree that this was a decent outing by Jon.
The deal is the darn Jays are hitting over .300 as a fricking team which makes them hard to hold down.
Remember last year when the sox did not even have one hitter over .300
I cannot believe this jays team will not challenge in the east.

Their bench guys seem to all be hitting .342 or so.

I say any win here in toronto is a good pitching job. Wayya to go, bobby.