PDA

View Full Version : Rogers Column On Barrett Excuses

Lip Man 1
05-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Phil just hammers at the stupidity of some of the things that were said.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060526rogers,1,4300331.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Lip

peeonwrigley
05-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Its about damn time.

SoxFanPrope
05-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Just to be fair, I don't think you need to compare what happened to Rudy Tomjanovich to what happened to AJ

robiwho
05-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Perfect.

dickallen15
05-27-2006, 01:50 PM
I think Phil's going to get a note to go to Mr. McFail's office.

Ol' No. 2
05-27-2006, 01:53 PM
I think Phil's going to get a note to go to Mr. McFail's office.They can jerk Sullivan around, but Rogers can get another job any time he wants. He can afford to tell them to go **** themselves.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-27-2006, 02:04 PM
I read Rogers' piece with my breakfast this morning. It was the first sensible piece on this soap opera I've read. However I'm going to withhold any fawning praise for at least a few days until I'm sure no make up piece from the "Not House Organ" Sully works for suddenly relapses and has Rogers writing pure bull**** like "Kenny Williams is a dirty GM and he deserves to get bilked for Barry/Berry and Mike Sirotka's sore shoulder, etc. etc."

As a long-time Cubune reader, I know the incredibly stupid make up piece is just around the corner.

:?:

patbooyah
05-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Just to be fair, I don't think you need to compare what happened to Rudy Tomjanovich to what happened to AJ

i think rogers was saying that barrett is lucky it didn't end up being that bad.

SBSoxFan
05-27-2006, 02:42 PM
But wasn't Rogers justifying Barrett's actions in a piece a few days ago? :?:

Uncle_Patrick
05-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Rogers was on Chicago Tribune Live last night and he said many of the same things that were printed in his article today. One comment he made, which wasn't in the paper, was regarding Barrett's analogy about being pushed down in the street. Rogers said for that to be an accurate analogy, Barrett would have to have been standing on AJ's car when he was pushed down. I thought that was a great comment.

Brian26
05-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Von Joshua is the Cubs Triple A hitting coach?? LOL!!!!

DrCrawdad
05-27-2006, 02:56 PM
I read Rogers' piece with my breakfast this morning. It was the first sensible piece on this soap opera I've read. However I'm going to withhold any fawning praise for at least a few days until I'm sure no make up piece from the "Not House Organ" Sully works for suddenly relapses and has Rogers writing pure bull**** like "Kenny Williams is a dirty GM and he deserves to get bilked for Barry/Berry and Mike Sirotka's sore shoulder, etc. etc."

As a long-time Cubune reader, I know the incredibly stupid make up piece is just around the corner.

:?:

Finally there is a reasonable, sensible article in one of the Chicago rags. Surprisingly, it's the Cubune that prints it, of course this comes only after we've seen the dribble from Sullivan.

I still find it interesting that not one article has mentioned Barrett's comments on WSCR just before the Saturday game about looking to start a fight to spark the Cubbies.

rocky biddle
05-27-2006, 09:21 PM
I wonder how this slipped through the Tribco "sports editors?" For some reason when I think of the Trib's coverage of the cubs I imagine that scene from 'Good Morning Vietnam' when those two twins read through the news and circle what's acceptable for air. I imagine that's how they decide what articles are fit for print in the world's greatest newspaper.

Banix12
05-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Von Joshua is the Cubs Triple A hitting coach?? LOL!!!!

Yeah, and the AAA cubs are one of the worst hitting teams in the PCL. Just checking here they are tied for 3rd worst with a .254 team batting average and they have the 2nd worst .OPS at .693.

Though I'm sure that has whole lot more to do with the talent on the team than Von Joshua's instruction.

TDog
05-28-2006, 03:26 AM
Finally there is a reasonable, sensible article in one of the Chicago rags. Surprisingly, it's the Cubune that prints it, of course this comes only after we've seen the dribble from Sullivan.

I still find it interesting that not one article has mentioned Barrett's comments on WSCR just before the Saturday game about looking to start a fight to spark the Cubbies.

So even newspapers aren't house organs for the Cubs are acting like they are? You aren't going to see newspaper reporters "dignify" radio station comments because they believe they work in a superior medium. They want to give readers the illusion that they have a reason to read. I don't think that is part of the conspiracy.

Nationally, Barrett is losing the PR game. A Seattle Times baseball writer in his weekly ranking of MLB teams this weekend posed the question, "How would Barrett react to a dirty hit?"

chaerulez
05-28-2006, 06:55 AM

He didn't, he said Barrett should be thankful it didn't turn out that way.

kwolf68
05-30-2006, 11:17 AM

The point was obvious. Had Barrett actually done damage with his sucker punch he'd be driving an ice cream truck, after serving time. Barrett is a hothead, but he is a moron also, a bad combination.

AJP is a needler and gets under people's skin, but he isn't stupid and that is why HE is always looking like the cat that ate the canary while the other guy is always standing in the corner moaning and groaning about bad ole' AJ.

Hangar18
05-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Nationally, Barrett is losing the PR game. A Seattle Times baseball writer in his weekly ranking of MLB teams this weekend posed the question, "How would Barrett react to a dirty hit?"

Why do you think the Tribune put out that front page GARBAGE story on why "AJ is hated" in baseball, points out other players in various sports who were also hated (in order to put AJ in the same breath as Laimbeer?-***), then not even prove anything with AJ. IF I handed in a term paper exactly like the one the Tribune put out on sunday, anyone care to guess what my grade would be?

F