PDA

View Full Version : Bumping in to people you know at the Park

cbotnyse
05-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Ive been going to games now for about 10 years and it never fails that i bump into someone I know.......either from grammar school, HS or college, or the "old neighborhood" (wherever that may be for you)

it's either people I am gald to see, or its people I have to have that "how ya been?" conversation.....

this ever happen to anyone?

buehrle4cy05
05-26-2006, 11:53 PM
I've been to a ton of games over the years, and it's happened twice...at the same game.

Last year, I was sitting in the bleachers, taking in BP before a Sox-D'Backs game. Royce Clayton is taking BP and somehow hits the ball to about the 7th row in left field, where I'm sitting. It sails over my head and I turn to see where it landed, and there's one of my friends from baseball catching the ball with his bare hands. First I was going crazy because it was somebody I knew, and second because he caught the ball with his bare hands. So then, right before the game, I go to get me some food and I see another one of my baseball friends getting a churro. Two times in one day. Never happened before, never happened since.

Timmy D's
05-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Funny you mention that, as I always feel the same way, as it never fails! A friend and I were at a game a couple weeks ago and didnt run into anyone we knew, and thought it was a first, and viola~ a drunk guy was peein' next to my truck in the parking lot on the way out(I was backed in against the concrete wall in "F"), turned out to be a guy we kinda knew, who was friends w/ some good friends of ours , just on a bender, and he led us back a few SUV's down to a bunch of the people we knew well, and we shared a quick sud and laugh, and met up later in the evening else where. This one guy we bumped into, was definately wearin the lamp shade for the night if ya know what I mean, but w/ out his drunkeness, we would of never hooked up w/ some good friends we hadnt seen in a while.

On a side note, it seems I always run into old girlfriends when I bring my wife to the games(which is not terribly often), people I would rather not see when I have one of my kids w/ me, and people that I would normally love to run into when I have a business interest guest w/ me. Life just isnt fair!!!:cool:

HotelWhiteSox
05-27-2006, 12:42 AM
Was a row behind a kid I knew in high school last Monday night, very weird, especially with it being a sold out game

DumpJerry
05-27-2006, 12:45 AM
It happens a lot. I'm not talking about people I've arranged to meet up with, just people I know. Sometimes I wonder if it's like having a bartender know your name right away---is it sign of something about your life?

MUsoxfan
05-27-2006, 01:04 AM
I make it to about 40 games a year and about 30 of them I run into someone I know. It would be nice if someone bought me a beer at least 1/3 of the time:wink:

C-Dawg
05-27-2006, 07:51 AM
The very first time I went to the new ballpark, I saw a buddy of mine outside while we were all waiting for the gates to open. The really odd thing was, when we compared tickets we found not only were we seated in the same section, but in the very same row, although at opposite ends.

Most commonly is I find out from friends or co-workers that they were at the same game I was, but we never seem to see each other.

SBSoxFan
05-27-2006, 07:53 AM
When I read this thread's title, I thought it was another Barrett/fight thread. :redneck

Steelrod
05-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Next time someone bumps into me, I fire back!

LongLiveFisk
05-27-2006, 08:48 AM
That's weird....I practically NEVER see anyone I know at the park!

The Dude
05-27-2006, 08:59 AM
it's either people I am gald to see, or its people I have to have that "how ya been?" conversation.....

Yes it happens all the time, and then you have to do the "stop and chat" instead of the simple wave. Sometimes it causes me to miss part of the game.:angry:

whitesoxwilkes
05-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Ive been going to games now for about 10 years and it never fails that i bump into someone I know.......either from grammar school, HS or college, or the "old neighborhood" (wherever that may be for you)

Never fails that I run into at least a couple guys I knew on the trading floor there at least once a homestand.

robiwho
05-27-2006, 09:01 AM
It happens a lot. I'm not talking about people I've arranged to meet up with, just people I know. Sometimes I wonder if it's like having a bartender know your name right away---is it sign of something about your life?

I think it's clear statement on your life choices! :smile:

I seem to run into someone I know at every game -- of course, WSI really helps with that. At my first game at the new ballpark, I ran into someone I knew from highschool (and then ran into her again at Soldier Field later that year).

SBSoxFan
05-27-2006, 09:40 AM
At my first game at the new ballpark, I ran into someone I knew from highschool (and then ran into her again at Soldier Field later that year).

Sounds to me like you're being stalked. :D:

The Critic
05-27-2006, 09:46 AM
It happens, but very rarely.
Surprising, too, since I know a lot of people who go to games regularly.

Brian26
05-27-2006, 10:38 AM
On a side note, it seems I always run into old girlfriends when I bring my wife to the games(which is not terribly often),

Just don't run into your current girlfriend on a night you bring your wife.

Timmy D's
05-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Just don't run into your current girlfriend on a night you bring your wife.

Amen bruthah!! :halo:

leens01
05-27-2006, 01:07 PM
My friend and I were on the jumbo tron one night when we had seats right under Nancy. We each had friends come and find us that night. I felt kind of like a celebrity.

soxstarter
05-28-2006, 10:52 PM
I haven't even lived in the Chicago area that long and I have run into at least two people at games. Just goes to show my friend have good taste!

soxjim
05-28-2006, 11:19 PM
During the 2000 season I would bump into a guy who lived in the same apartment building as me. This year I bumped into my pizza delivery guy who happens to be a cub fan. This day however he was dressed in SOX gear.

rwcescato
05-29-2006, 01:05 AM

It always happens to me. The funny thing is it once happened at a Cook County Cheetah game once.
Rich

SoxandtheCityTee
05-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Happens so often that some of my family have long had a contest when we go to a game together: you earn a point for each person you see at the park that you know. It has been decided by past rulings that someone who clearly recognizes you but does not recall your name counts. For example, a guy who shouts "hey, didn't you graduate from ----- high school in 19--?" across a crowded concourse, which happened to me. However, the people who had season tickets next to the season ticket seats I shared for a long time did not count, as I knew them only that way. Sounds serious but it's all in fun.

Living/growing up on the south side doesn't hurt, but then I've been beaten by a child who grew up on the northwest side (one time my niece's teacher was at the park, sitting right near us).

rookie
05-29-2006, 07:19 PM
(one time my niece's teacher was at the park, sitting right near us).

And here is my problem, running into my students at the game. How do the other teachers on the board handle this? I am terrified that I'll have a beer in my hand one of these times! Needless to say I try to stay away from Kids Days (unless I take my cousins). Plus Kids Days are my 9 to 5.

leens01
05-29-2006, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't worry about having a beer if your students see you. You are over 21 so it really isn't that big of a deal. From my experience, if you make a big deal about, they will. If you handle it casually, so will they. That is normally my take with students, at least.

ChiSoxGirl
05-29-2006, 09:47 PM
And here is my problem, running into my students at the game. How do the other teachers on the board handle this? I am terrified that I'll have a beer in my hand one of these times! Needless to say I try to stay away from Kids Days (unless I take my cousins). Plus Kids Days are my 9 to 5.

In the three years I've been teaching, I've only had one encounter with a student- it was at Game 1 of the World Series and the kid was with his dad. I had no idea he was even going to be at the game; he knew I had a ticket, but I didn't tell him what section I was in. The student actually sought me out and while it was somewhat awkward, everything was fine because I was sans any alcoholic drinks!

If my students tell me they're going to be at a certain game, and if it happens to be a game I have a ticket for, I try to find out where they're sitting, hence knowing which parts/sections of the ballpark I need to avoid. :wink:

TheKittle
05-29-2006, 09:58 PM

If I see one of my kids at a game and they happen to see me with a beer, I'll dump the beer on them as payback for being such jerk kids.

Seriously though I could care less. I'm not doing anything wrong, if I have a beer. Hell my first prinicpal was a huge baseball fan. We even went to a couple games together and I had to drive that drunk bastard home.

I have seen a couple kids at games and I tell them to get the hell away from me. I don't want to see them when I'm on my own time. Can anybody tell it's been a bad year and I can't wait to get the hell out?

Chips
05-29-2006, 09:59 PM
I've run into people from the time to time at the game where it happened to be random. Last Wednesday, I ran into chisoxmike and Minnie Minoso.

ChiSoxGirl
05-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Can anybody tell it's been a bad year and I can't wait to get the hell out?

This is :offtopic:, but what grade do you teach and how many more days do you have? I have 8 1/2 school days left and just can't wait! :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
05-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Last year at the Saturday night game against the Red Sox, my boyfriend and I sat at one of the tables on the upper level of the Bullpen Sports Bar. While going down to put condiments on my cheeseburger, I saw a girl who lived on my floor my freshman year at ISU. I hadn't seen her for over a year before that!

Ever since Core of the Core I, I've bumped into plenty of people from here too.

TheKittle
05-30-2006, 12:42 AM
This is :offtopic:, but what grade do you teach and how many more days do you have? I have 8 1/2 school days left and just can't wait! :bandance:

I teach 7th and 8th graders, 5 classes of social studies and one class of PE. Jun 8th is our last day, so we have 7 1/2 days left of hell, I mean school.

I already told my school I'm not coming back next year. I hate teaching, it blows. I thought about teaching HS but that sucks worse. At least with 7th and 8th grade *******s, it's the hormones talking. With HS kids they are just *******s.

cbone
05-30-2006, 05:59 AM
Between the trading floor and living in Oak Lawn, it's a given that I'll run into someone. Always happy to see a fellow Sox fan. :smile:

Bobbo35
05-30-2006, 07:26 AM

9 days for me and counting. Then off to Puerto Vallarta for a week. No Sox games for a week, that is going to be brutal.

SOXandILLINI
05-30-2006, 07:34 AM
last year at the game 1 of the alds, i get to my seat in right field, and lo and behold, it was my battery mate from jfk sitting right next to me, hadn't seen him since we graduated. it was kinda weird. i'm always seeing people i haven't seen in years, and usually didn't wanna see 'em.:D:

ChiSoxGirl
05-30-2006, 08:08 AM
9 days for me and counting. Then off to Puerto Vallarta for a week. No Sox games for a week, that is going to be brutal.

You teach at Maine West, right?

Ever been to Puerto Vallarta? It's pretty awesome. I went down there last July for a week and stayed at this awesome timeshare place called Villa Del Palmar Flamingos, which is actually in Nuevo Vallarta. I survived for a week without the Sox (it was when Oakland swept them at home and then I came back the night Contreras threw a 1-0 game in Cleveland right after the Break), though I did pay $5 an hour to use the internet cafe on the grounds of our resort. :wink: And incase you didn't know, there's an English ESPN channel, which will allow you to keep tabs on our Sox.

batmanZoSo
05-30-2006, 08:11 AM
I don't think it ever happened to me. In fact it never really happens anywhere that I can think of, which is good in some ways but some people you wouldn't mind running into.

skottyj242
05-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Without fail I run into at least one or two people I know. If it's not someone I went to high school with it's someone from here or the trading floor. The worst is when you run into friends of friends that want to talk, you don't really know then that well (or you don't like them) and they explain to you how they know you. I also hate it when I can't remember a persons name, that can get akward.

Sarah
05-30-2006, 07:19 PM
My fave 'bumping into someone' story involves Game 1 of the Division Series last year...

I had one ticket in the upper deck for Game 1. I got to the park early, made some friends in the lot and had a couple of beers, then went inside as soon as the park opened. Anyway, I ran out just before the game started and came back to my seat. About an inning into the game, I hear someone shouting my name from behind me (Sarah's a common name, so I only turned around after this had happened several times). Turns out, my uncle and cousin were sitting two rows behind me. With so many seats in the park, we had managed to snag tickets that close to each other totally randomly.

-Sarah-

rookie
05-30-2006, 09:33 PM
If my students tell me they're going to be at a certain game, and if it happens to be a game I have a ticket for, I try to find out where they're sitting, hence knowing which parts/sections of the ballpark I need to avoid. :wink:

That sounds like a good idea. Usually I don't tell them when I go to a game (because sometimes I take 1/2 days those days to beat traffic, or it might be a day game that I play hooky for). But then I end up trying to retrace a whole evening when the next day I find out the kids (or the parents if it's a weekday game) were at the game.

I know I'm 21, but that whole role model image trails you everywhere. During the summer when I'm running errands or shopping I get paranoid that a student is going to see me wearing an outfit that is "not appropriate for school" (halters or certain skirts). Or that I am having conversations that you wouldn't expect to hear from an elem teacher. My sis gets irritated by my paranoia.

One of my students is a diehard fan. He has figured out what I do when I play hooky. I think the fact that I was "absent" on the day of the parade and the ring ceremony tipped him off. I love the kid (he's always drawing me Sox pictures), but I wish he wouldn't tell the whole class my business - even though I never admit to it. Kids...

chisoxfanatic
05-30-2006, 09:38 PM
One of my students is a diehard fan. He has figured out what I do when I play hooky. I think the fact that I was "absent" on the day of the parade and the ring ceremony tipped him off. I love the kid (he's always drawing me Sox pictures), but I wish he wouldn't tell the whole class my business - even though I never admit to it. Kids...

Most of my kids don't care when I'm gone. I took a personal day for the parade, and my World Series stuff somehow was torn down when I got back the next Monday! I'd like to know who my substitute was that allowed for that to happen! :angry:

ChiSoxGirl
05-30-2006, 09:56 PM
During the summer when I'm running errands or shopping I get paranoid that a student is going to see me wearing an outfit that is "not appropriate for school...."

Last summer on the Friday afternoon game against the Cubs, I'd gone to the mall before first pitch in just some mesh shorts, a Sox tank top, & flip flops, and who was walking right toward me? Two of my students- a kid who graduated 8th grade and his sister who is now in 7th grade! There was no way I could avoid them and I was absolutely mortified; I didn't know what to say to either of them! :redface:

Only teachers understand this and how the last thing in the world we want to do is run into our students. I've tried to explain it to my parents or other friends who aren't teachers, but only my teacher friends and co-workers get it.

rookie
05-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Last summer on the Friday afternoon game against the Cubs, I'd gone to the mall before first pitch in just some mesh shorts, a Sox tank top, & flip flops, and who was walking right toward me? Two of my students- a kid who graduated 8th grade and his sister who is now in 7th grade! There was no way I could avoid them and I was absolutely mortified; I didn't know what to say to either of them! :redface:

Only teachers understand this and how the last thing in the world we want to do is run into our students. I've tried to explain it to my parents or other friends who aren't teachers, but only my teacher friends and co-workers get it.

Someone who understands my pain! I want to be myself, and everytime I see my students outside of school I don't get to be myself. :whiner: Oh well, if my students' parents don't want them to see me drink (or buy alcohol), wear summer clothes, or hear questionable conversations then steer clear of me on my off time.

Chips
05-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Most of my kids don't care when I'm gone. I took a personal day for the parade, and my World Series stuff somehow was torn down when I got back the next Monday! I'd like to know who my substitute was that allowed for that to happen! :angry:

Somehow that doesn't surprise me. :redneck

TheKittle
05-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Someone who understands my pain! I want to be myself, and everytime I see my students outside of school I don't get to be myself. :whiner: Oh well, if my students' parents don't want them to see me drink (or buy alcohol), wear summer clothes, or hear questionable conversations then steer clear of me on my off time.

I wouldn't worry about. Many parents drink, play hooky, cuss. Many mothers wear sexy outfits. They have no right to pull some self righteous BS. Hell one mother of a kid at my school worked as a stripper. I only found out because somebody else told me. I would never go into a strip club. :D:

ChiSoxGirl
05-31-2006, 08:18 AM

Back in February, I filled in on a bowling league with one of my co-workers and there were 3 or 4 of my students there, as their parents are also on the same league... and there I was with a bottle of Miller Lite in my hand! My co-worker told me not to worry because I'm over 21 and we weren't in school, nor at a school function, so I kept my beer.

cbone
05-31-2006, 08:45 AM
I just want to say that I agree with the ladies, and gentlemen for that matter, that are teachers. You are unfairly held to a higher standard regarding your conduct and appearance outside of work. Your off time is your own. The parking lot of any any school is a breeding ground for gossip. The parents wait around for the kids to get and blah blah blah. You have the most important job in the world IMO. You deserve a break. :smile:

Back to your thread now, sorry for the rant but this is a pet peeve of mine.

alohafri
05-31-2006, 09:53 AM
In the three years I've been teaching, I've only had one encounter with a student- it was at Game 1 of the World Series and the kid was with his dad. I had no idea he was even going to be at the game; he knew I had a ticket, but I didn't tell him what section I was in. The student actually sought me out and while it was somewhat awkward, everything was fine because I was sans any alcoholic drinks!

I ran into a couple of former students at Rat Pack Night last year. They were great kids that I had taught the year before. "We KNEW we would run into you here if we came to enough Sox games!" I thought that was pretty cool. Thankfully I was coherent!