PDA

View Full Version : An American no hitter in Kyodo

LuvSox
05-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Only the 4th American to toss a no no in Japan.

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060525/kyodo/d8hqr2c81.html

HomeFish
05-27-2006, 12:23 AM
The Swallows are where Shingo played before he came here.

Hence they are my second favorite Japanese team, after the Hiroshima Carp, where Timo Perez played. (Shingo is from Hiroshima, iirc, so perhaps he was a Carp fan growing up?)

LuvSox
05-27-2006, 12:24 AM
The Swallows are where Shingo played before he came here.

Hence they are my second favorite Japanese team, after the Hiroshima Carp, where Timo Perez played. (Shingo is from Hiroshima, iirc, so perhaps he was a Carp fan growing up?)

Gotta get me a Carp hat

Trav
05-27-2006, 12:47 AM
I wonder if he got the same celebration that a Japanese player would. Does anyone know if the American ball players still get treated poorly like they did in the 70s and 80s.

Mr. White Sox
05-27-2006, 05:57 AM
I wonder if he got the same celebration that a Japanese player would. Does anyone know if the American ball players still get treated poorly like they did in the 70s and 80s.

See: Tuffy Rhodes tries to break Sadaharu Oh's HR record. If anyone has a story link, link up!

Crazy Gaijin.

Trav
05-27-2006, 11:09 AM
See: Tuffy Rhodes tries to break Sadaharu Oh's HR record. If anyone has a story link, link up!

Crazy Gaijin.

I don't have a link but if you ever come across the book "You Gotta Have Wa" pick it up. It is a great read into how Gaijins are treated.

ondafarm
05-27-2006, 11:30 AM
I don't have a link but if you ever come across the book "You Gotta Have Wa" pick it up. It is a great read into how Gaijins are treated.

It's a little old, but a fair amount remains accurate. With more foreigners playing than ever before, more tolerance and more appreciation of foreigners seems to be the norm.

ondafarm
05-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Gotta get me a Carp hat

Get it the easy way, get a University of Chicago cap. They are identical.

In 1912, the University of Chicago baseball team toured Japan. When they played Chuo University, the team asked for a uniform. They eventually copied it and kept it as their uniform. When the professional league was formed, many of the players from Chuo formed the core of the Hiroshima Carp, so they just kept the uniform.

The same thing happened in Chicago, the Bears copied the helmets from the University of Chicago with the distinctive "C". They also got the nickname, "Monsters of the Midway."

HomeFish
05-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Get it the easy way, get a University of Chicago cap. They are identical.

Not exactly. The Carp use bright red instead of maroon, at least according to Google Image Search.