PDA

View Full Version : Uribe's Cheek?

Pasqua's Posers
05-26-2006, 11:22 PM
What the hell does he have in there every game? I'm thinking it's sunflower seeds, but could possibly be a wad of chew. Anyone know for sure? Thanks...:smile:

1951Campbell
05-26-2006, 11:27 PM
What the hell does he have in there every game? I'm thinking it's sunflower seeds, but could possibly be a wad of chew. Anyone know for sure? Thanks...:smile:

On that note, obviously there's been about 10,000,000 pictures of Barry Bonds on the net in the last month or so...anyone else see the Skoal tin in his back pocket in almost all of them?

I though MLB guys were "enlightened" about such things these days.

Bobbo35
05-27-2006, 01:37 PM
It is back on the rise. My buddy works for US Tobacco and says that they send logs to the Sox all the time. Check out when they show pics in the dugout. You can always see a tin hangin around.

SoxFan76
05-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Well you can't smoke in the dugout anymore (not sure if that's an offical rule or one of those unwritten ones) so guys chew.

Which brings up something I've always wondered, how many players smoke? I would hope not many seeing how they're pro athletes, but I know Mark Grace smokes/smoked.

gr8mexico
05-27-2006, 01:56 PM
I know Nick Johnson does. I'm sure alot of guys smoke.

jongarlandlover
05-27-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure what's in Uribe's cheek. I'm pretty sure that Scottie chews tobacco, though.

logansquaresox
05-27-2006, 02:39 PM

I'm pretty sure it's bubble gum. There was a great picture of him blowing a bubble while turning a double play during the series at Wrigley last year. Google it and you can find the picture. (IIRC, Tribune doesn't like its pictures being posted here.)

TheOldRoman
05-27-2006, 02:47 PM
On that note, obviously there's been about 10,000,000 pictures of Barry Bonds on the net in the last month or so...anyone else see the Skoal tin in his back pocket in almost all of them?

I though MLB guys were "enlightened" about such things these days.
Bonds uses anabolic Skoal.

1951Campbell
05-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Bonds uses anabolic Skoal.

Heh. The cream, the clear, the wintergreen...they all enhance performance.

FedEx227
05-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Anybody remember the insane wads of chew Willie Harris would come to the plate with...

and for the record I'm almost positive Uribe is all bubble gum, while Sco-Po is rockin the Skoal.

jongarlandlover
05-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Anybody remember the insane wads of chew Willie Harris would come to the plate with...

and for the record I'm almost positive Uribe is all bubble gum, while Sco-Po is rockin the Skoal.

yeah, now that i think about it, i'm pretty sure that uribe has bubble gum. cos occasionally you'll see him blow a bubble.

but yeah, you can really tell scottie chews tobacco. it's disgusting.

skobabe8
05-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Ozzie's a dipper.

Murphy10
05-27-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm not sure what's in Uribe's cheek. I'm pretty sure that Scottie chews tobacco, though.
Yeah u can see scotty having those long brown spits while on base, kinda sick.

miker
05-27-2006, 04:40 PM
I wish it was some basehits!

NardiWasHere
05-27-2006, 05:03 PM
During one of the celebrations last year, Willie had the biggest pinch I've ever seen in my life. It had to be like half a tin in his lip.

miker
05-27-2006, 05:05 PM
During one of the celebrations last year, Willie had the biggest pinch I've ever seen in my life. It had to be like half a tin in his lip.Maybe Willie has an unusually small mouth?

NardiWasHere
05-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Maybe Willie has an unusually small mouth?

That could be it, since I obviously didn't get to see him put it in.

I wonder who chews what? For some reason I see Scotty dipping Timberwolf Peach.

Mercy!
05-27-2006, 08:24 PM
I thought the minor leagues banned spit tobacco over a decade ago. You'd think the MLB might have followed suit. Would it be okay if players smoked cigarettes in the dugouts? What's the difference?

SoxFan76
05-27-2006, 11:26 PM
I thought the minor leagues banned spit tobacco over a decade ago. You'd think the MLB might have followed suit. Would it be okay if players smoked cigarettes in the dugouts? What's the difference?

The difference?

The smoke! :tongue:

Mercy!
05-27-2006, 11:59 PM
The difference?

The smoke! :tongue:
Hey! I think that would look oh so much more cool than the streams of brown spittle they expectorate.

Etownsox13
05-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Ozzie's a dipper.

Ozzie chews Lancaster. He throws in a fresh wad every inning.

1 Dog
05-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Jim Leyland was the last person I remember actually seeing smoke in a dugout. However, that was when he managed in the minors. I don't recall him ever doing it with the Pirates. (In fact, I seem to recall Andy VanSlyke saying Leyland would run into the tunnel to chain smoke.)

I'm not sure if MLB has a "no smoking" policy, but almost all of the stadiums do.

steveironcity
05-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Jim Leyland was the last person I remember actually seeing smoke in a dugout. However, that was when he managed in the minors. I don't recall him ever doing it with the Pirates. (In fact, I seem to recall Andy VanSlyke saying Leyland would run into the tunnel to chain smoke.)

I'm not sure if MLB has a "no smoking" policy, but almost all of the stadiums do.

I remember Leyland getting in trouble for smoking in the tunnel leading to the dugout in the early 90s. But he had switched to cigars by then.