PDA

View Full Version : ESPN makes me crazy

bgpoppapaul
05-26-2006, 10:24 PM
On Baseball Tonight, they just ran a thing about the Tigers entering a difficult part of their schedule. They said their next 3 series are against the Tribe, Yankees and then the Sawx. Seeing they play the team with the second best record that swept them in their home park earlier this year immediately after the BoSox series, you think you might want to include the Sox in that "tough stretch". I know it's nitpicking, but its stuff like this that gets under your skin as a Sox Fan. I don't know why I'm surprised. :?:

cbotnyse
05-26-2006, 10:34 PM
I noticed that too......its like if you win a series aganist the mighty Yanks or BoSox you are forever crowned a great team. :dunno: :bs:

TheDarkGundam
05-26-2006, 10:36 PM
The Tiggers manager was on PTI today and didn't acknowledge the Sox as a tough team.
Are we somehow slipping back under the radar?

oeo
05-26-2006, 10:36 PM
On Baseball Tonight, they just ran a thing about the Tigers entering a difficult part of their schedule. They said their next 3 series are against the Tribe, Yankees and then the Sawx. Seeing they play the team with the second best record that swept them in their home park earlier this year immediately after the BoSox series, you think you might want to include the Sox in that "tough stretch". I know it's nitpicking, but its stuff like this that gets under your skin as a Sox Fan. I don't know why I'm surprised. :?:
Why are the Tribe considered a great team? What have they proven? That they're a very inconsistent team that will not make the playoffs yet again?

RKMeibalane
05-26-2006, 10:37 PM
The Tiggers manager was on PTI today and didn't acknowledge the Sox as a tough team.

That's fine. The Sox always play better with a chip on their shoulder.

Chisox003
05-26-2006, 10:40 PM
That'd be wonderful.

I don't know if we ever made it out in the first place, as being "recognized" as the best team in baseball is something the networks HAVE to do. It's not like they go out of their way to compliment us.

Back under we goes!

RadioheadRocks
05-26-2006, 10:40 PM

That's fine by me. Like I said during tonight's game thread, let the media keep drooling over themselves regarding the Tigers... the fall will be that much more spectacular.

veeter
05-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Are we somehow slipping back under the radar? He's going to realize they're tough when he's watching them play on t.v. in October. Leyland did a fine job with the Rockies.

Lip Man 1
05-26-2006, 10:57 PM
Bgpoppa:

Since you know what to expect why do you torture yourself by watching ESPN in the first place?

Lip

rocky biddle
05-26-2006, 11:41 PM
Maybe Leyland left the Sox off the list of good teams because he didn't want to have to explain who they were to the guys from ESPN?

But seriously, I was listening to the post game show tonight and a caller from somewhere in Michigan said he read a quote from Leyland saying the Tigers aren't even close to being as good as the White Sox. I can't remember the name of the paper he said it was from, but I'll look around.

beckett21
05-27-2006, 12:01 AM
But seriously, I was listening to the post game show tonight and a caller from somewhere in Michigan said he read a quote from Leyland saying the Tigers aren't even close to being as good as the White Sox. I can't remember the name of the paper he said it was from, but I'll look around.

Leyland has been around the game too long and is too good of a baseball mind to not recognize the fact that the Sox are a juggernaut.

Once his team figures that out, it's all over. :cool:

Lip Man 1
05-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Beck:

Then I hope the Tigers figure it out soon. In fact the sooner the better for my tastes.

Lip

HomeFish
05-27-2006, 12:13 AM
The Tigers have a better record than us, they have been beating teams that we have both played by wider, easier margins. They have every right to talk smack about us or ignore us at this point.

We're a second place team, and we have to adjust our humility accordingly. It ain't October no more.

WizardsofOzzie
05-27-2006, 12:13 AM
I noticed that too......its like if you win a series aganist the mighty Yanks or BoSox you are forever crowned a great team. :dunno: :bs:

Not true. I do believe we beat the crap out of the red sox and still weren't considered a great team

fuzzy_patters
05-27-2006, 12:18 AM
The Tigers have a better record than us, they have been beating teams that we have both played by wider, easier margins. They have every right to talk smack about us or ignore us at this point.

We're a second place team, and we have to adjust our humility accordingly. It ain't October no more.

No, it's May, and we are still in the hunt. Why be humble?

beckett21
05-27-2006, 12:23 AM

Is that so?

:whatever:

That team has been a steaming pile for the better part of the past 20 years. My calendar still says May.

The Sox proved their worth last season. Two good months by a crappy franchise is not enough to worry me.

Talk to me in August. For now, they are still trying to take what we got. They have earned NOTHING yet (as I'm sure you were more than happy to point out to us about our Sox at this time last season).

:rolleyes:

CLR01
05-27-2006, 12:24 AM

I think maybe they should beat the Sox first before talking smack or ignoring them.

cbotnyse
05-27-2006, 12:29 AM

thats a great Homefish post :D:

beckett21
05-27-2006, 12:30 AM
Beck:

Then I hope the Tigers figure it out soon. In fact the sooner the better for my tastes.

Lip

All in due time.

Let them finish burying the Indians first.

1951Campbell
05-27-2006, 12:41 AM

Woe is me, Capt. Happy. Do we have to give the trophy back?

HotelWhiteSox
05-27-2006, 12:43 AM

Actually they can only go by 3 games, Tigers vs Sox: 0-3

buehrle4cy05
05-27-2006, 12:57 AM
Bgpoppa:

Since you know what to expect why do you torture yourself by watching ESPN in the first place?

Lip

I have the same dilemma, Lip, but it's the only channel that I know of that has constant score updates. If I could find another one that isn't CSN, I'd jump to it in a heartbeat.

SoxFan64
05-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Ok so ESPN missed on this one ... and the last one ... and the one before that ... and before that ..... well you get the point.

There is still some love at ESPN looky here (http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/powerranking?season=2006&week=9) we are still #1 in their Power Rankings.

So cheer up Sox fans, if we continue at our current winning percentage we will be in the playoffs -- either as Division champs or wild card -- and that is what our goal should be: to return to the playoffs. Once there we can take it one series at a time.

As for those who dismiss the Tigers your quotes look alot like Jeff Brantley's comments about us 12 months ago. So be vvvveeery careful or you look like Elmer Fudd after Bugs surprises him again.

rwcescato
05-27-2006, 10:28 AM

All 4 of those team are east coast time zone cities. The Central time zone doesn't count to all the east coast people.

digdagdug23
05-27-2006, 10:36 AM

and that's a good thing. Flying under the radar works well for us, and is something the team seems to thrive on.

Thus begs the question:

Why are you even watching Satan's channel? Good rule of thumb: ESPN is only necessary if the game is out of market, you can't get your radio to tune in to 670, you set the mute button before turning, and you have your children straddle across the top half of the screen. Don't let Satan in your head in the first place, and you won't live a Daunte's inferno.

MrRoboto83
05-27-2006, 11:32 AM
ESPN still reconizes the Sox as the power poll number 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/powerranking?season=2006&week=9

VenturaSoxFan23
05-27-2006, 12:09 PM

The most wonderful thing about Tiggers,
is Tiggers are wonderful things.
Their tops are made out of rubber,
their bottoms are made out of springs.
They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy,
Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers is,
I'm the only one.
Oh, I-I-I'm the only one!

Oh, the wonderful thing about Tiggers is,
Tiggers are wonderful chaps.
They're loaded with vim and vigor.
They love to leap in your lap.
They're jumpy, bumpy, clumpy, thumpy,
Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers is ...
I-I-I'm the only one!

Whoohoo hoo! T-T-F-N! Ta ta for now!

Palehose Pete
05-27-2006, 01:23 PM
I think the media is jumping on the Tigers bandwagon because they screwed up last year and didn't get with the Sox before they won the Series.

On a completely different note, I'm getting a little sick of the way the world is obsessing over how craptacular the Cubs are this season.

Bobbo35
05-27-2006, 01:34 PM

That's a bunch of BS. One reason why I do not watch ESPN. It makes me sick.

CLR01
05-27-2006, 01:36 PM
On a completely different note, I'm getting a little sick of the way the world is obsessing over how craptacular the Cubs are this season.

Following the Red, White and Blue theory this was finally supposed to be their year. Once again unexpected and unfortunate injuries have derailed their championship train.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Sure I'd love to see the Sox win the division again and get at least partial home field advantage in the postseason but let's not lose sight of something.

It's very possible Detroit won't roll over and die. They are a solid club up and down in a lot of facets. But the bottom line is that with the Wild Card the Sox still have every right to expect to be playing in October.

Being a wild card makes the road a little more difficult but not impossible (re: 2004 Red Sox)

Just make the post season....period. That's ALL that matters.

It doesn't matter how you get there, just get there.

Then you take your chances.

That's why this season was so important to me, not because they won the World Series, that would lose luster if they tanked in 2006 but because they have a real chance to take back the city if they can be a consistent post season performer.

To me that's what's at stake in 2006.

At this point you still have to like their chances very much.

Lip

samram
05-27-2006, 03:11 PM

There's no reason to live!!!! Where's my kayak?

hawkjt
05-27-2006, 03:39 PM
I agree , that making the postseason any way you can is the goal.

Become more like the braves where you have the winning mentality every year.

The tigers have a lot of weapons and nice mix of young and older players and power arms. They aren't going away.