PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/26 Sox lose another one postgame thread!

CLR01
05-26-2006, 10:09 PM
"Anyone who thinks we can catch Detroit is crazy."

:reinsy

RadioheadRocks
05-26-2006, 10:10 PM

ROFLMAO, but apparently some of that sentiment made its way into the game thread tonight.

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-26-2006, 10:12 PM
damn, what ****ty loss

infohawk
05-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Is nobody at home this evening? I didn't see a thread so I took it upon myself to post my first game wrap-up thread. Well, we gave up lots of runs, but couldn't score more than two anyway. Still struggling against lefties I guess. Oh, new nickname for Cliff - Cliff "Meat" Pollite. Go get them tomorrow.

Hey Mods, I see someone else started one at about the same time I did. Please merge mine into theirs. Thanks!

0o0o0
05-26-2006, 10:14 PM
On the bright side, they'll probably kick some ass tomorrow after 2 straight off days.

JB98
05-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Blech. We got our asses kicked tonight. This was one of those "every team is going to lose 60" losses. Our starting pitcher sucked. Our offense was flat against a mediocre pitcher. Other than two dingers for Konerko, absolutely nothing positive.

I'm concerned about Politte. I keep expecting him to settle down and turn back into the solid reliever he has been in the past. Hasn't happened yet.

SOXBOY
05-26-2006, 10:17 PM
We can't beat left-hand pitching.

oeo
05-26-2006, 10:20 PM
We can't beat left-hand pitching.

Sox offense had nothing to do with Freddy getting slaughtered today. Go get them tomorrow, Jose. Tiggers lose the next two, mark my words.

Ol' No. 2
05-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Blech. We got our asses kicked tonight. This was one of those "every team is going to lose 60" losses. Our starting pitcher sucked. Our offense was flat against a mediocre pitcher. Other than two dingers for Konerko, absolutely nothing positive.

I'm concerned about Politte. I keep expecting him to settle down and turn back into the solid reliever he has been in the past. Hasn't happened yet.Lilly is NOT a mediocre pitcher. He doesn't wow anyone with a blazing fastball, but he manages to get outs, and not just against the Sox. It looked to me like they were trying to pull those curveballs, when all they really had to do was reach out and slap them into RF. Other teams do it against us often enough.:angry:

RKMeibalane
05-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Lilly is NOT a mediocre pitcher. He doesn't wow anyone with a blazing fastball, but he manages to get outs, and not just against the Sox. It looked to me like they were trying to pull those curveballs, when all they really had to do was reach out and slap them into RF. Other teams do it against us often enough.:angry:

Agreed. The Blue Jays are another team that I like, and I've watched several of Lilly's starts this season. He's a lot better than most people realize, and has given the Sox problems in the past.

Frankfan4life
05-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Terrible game. Bad pitching. No offense. Uribe and Anderson almost automatic outs. Tiggers can't lose. :(: Ugh!

infohawk
05-26-2006, 10:29 PM
For the inevitable angst some will have because we are now 2.5 games behind the Tigers, keep this in mind: The Tigers have played 47 games and are winning at a .708 clip. That projects to 114 wins. After 47 games last season, the Sox were winning at a .702 clip. That projected out to 113 wins. We all know that the Sox "regressed" to 99 wins -- or two weeks worth of wins. The Tigers are for real, but they too will regress due to injury or player fatigue (like we did when Podsednik got hurt and when the pitchers went through a funk during parts of July/August). There is a reason why not too many really good teams win more than 100 games a year. Over the long-haul, I like our depth better than what the Tigers have. I'm not inferring that anything is in the bag, but that the Tigers will not play .702 ball all season.

oeo
05-26-2006, 10:30 PM

I'm concerned about Politte. I keep expecting him to settle down and turn back into the solid reliever he has been in the past. Hasn't happened yet.

Oh yeah, Politte needs to go. I mentioned it in the chat, it's May 26 and he hasn't shown signs of improvement. Last year was a career year, and I thank him for that, but this is now and he is not getting the job done.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2006, 10:30 PM
For the inevitable angst some will have because we are now 2.5 games behind the Tigers, keep this in mind: The Tigers have played 47 games and are winning at a .708 clip. That projects to 114 wins. After 47 games last season, the Sox were winning at a .702 clip. That projected out to 113 wins. We all know that the Sox "regressed" to 99 wins -- or two weeks worth of wins. The Tigers are for real, but they too will regress due to injury or player fatigue (like we did when Podsednik got hurt and when the pitchers went through a funk during parts of July/August). There is a reason why not to many really good teams win more than 100 games a year. Over the long-haul, I like our depth better than what the Tigers have.

Agreed. Besides, no team with The Other Guy in the middle of their lineup is going to have a chance once September rolls around.

:maggs

"I'm Mr. Non-clutch."

peeonwrigley
05-26-2006, 10:31 PM
This game was a bag full of suck.

JB98
05-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Lilly is NOT a mediocre pitcher. He doesn't wow anyone with a blazing fastball, but he manages to get outs, and not just against the Sox. It looked to me like they were trying to pull those curveballs, when all they really had to do was reach out and slap them into RF. Other teams do it against us often enough.:angry:

With tonight's victory, Ted Lilly is now 49-49 in his career. His lifetime ERA is 4.63. Is that not mediocre? :?:

JB98
05-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Agreed. The Blue Jays are another team that I like, and I've watched several of Lilly's starts this season. He's a lot better than most people realize, and has given the Sox problems in the past.

His career ERA against the Sox was in the sevens coming into tonight. When we faced him last season, we knocked him out in the second inning.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2006, 10:49 PM
His career ERA against the Sox was in the sevens coming into tonight. When we faced him last season, we knocked him out in the second inning.

He had some success against the Sox when he was with Oakland, but then again... that's not too surprising given the Sox problems out there.

flo-B-flo
05-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Toronto ain't exactly a bull**** team. Freddie G don't bring his "A" game he gets his ass knocked around. Hawk and DJ even intimated that he was tipping pitches. I think he just got raked. New day tomorrow. It's what? 40 something in? Ass whippin" today, win tomorrow.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2006, 10:50 PM
With tonight's victory, Ted Lilly is now 49-49 in his career. His lifetime ERA is 4.63. Is that not mediocre? :?:

Not with pitching the way it is today, it isn't. The Cubs starters are much, much worse, and everyone thinks they're Cy Young candidates.

JB98
05-26-2006, 10:54 PM
He had some success against the Sox when he was with Oakland, but then again... that's not too surprising given the Sox problems out there.

I think we hit him when he was with the Yankees. As you indicate, he rolled through our lineup with ease as a member of Oakland. Last year, we destroyed him. I looked at the pitching chart this morning, and he was 0-1 with a 32.60 ERA against the Sox in 2005.

Honestly, I just think we were flat tonight. It happens. Let's even the series tomorrow.

JB98
05-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Not with pitching the way it is today, it isn't. The Cubs starters are much, much worse, and everyone thinks they're Cy Young candidates.

Career numbers:
Zambozo 51-37 3.28 ERA
Carrie Woods 70-55 3.69 ERA
Messiah 41-23 3.24 ERA
Lilly 49-49 4.60 ERA

Sorry, I just can't bring myself to put Ted Lilly on a pedestal.

White_Sock
05-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Lefties are:
the kryptonite to our Supermen
the Khan to our Kirks
the Newmans to our Seinfelds...oye vey

SouthSide_HitMen
05-26-2006, 11:19 PM

Detroit is on the verge of clinching as their "Riot" magic number is down to 105. I fear I will wet my pants several times before the All Star Break.

Win tomorrow and we are back at an awesome .667 clip.

Glad to see dark clouds have not emerged.

JB98 - I agree the Cubs trio is better but you should add .50 - .60 to their ERA for pitching in the NL which brings Lilly closer to the three amigos.

JB98
05-26-2006, 11:22 PM
Detroit is on the verge of clinching as their "Riot" magic number is down to 105. I fear I will wet my pants several times before the All Star Break.

Win tomorrow and we are back at an awesome .667 clip.

I'm going to predict that a .667 winning percentage over 162 games will win our division. We're right on pace. Screw the Tigers! :D:

champagne030
05-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Agreed. Besides, no team with The Other Guy in the middle of their lineup is going to have a chance once September rolls around.

:maggs

"I'm Mr. Non-clutch."

Give me some teal. Tear him up for his comments, but his numbers are solid.

Hitmen77
05-27-2006, 12:05 AM

That's how I feel about this game. It sucked, but I can accept it more than the ones we should have won, but gave away (last game against the Cubs, last game against the D-Rays).

fuzzy_patters
05-27-2006, 12:15 AM
Garcia is 7-2. I didn't think he would go 30-1. Let's go get them tomorrow.

TDog
05-27-2006, 12:42 AM
A couple of things surprised me when I got home tonight

I saw this an unusually small thread, considering the Sox lost. Losses generally inspire so much more comment. I had expected, when I noticed the starter didn't make it through six and gave up 5 runs on 12 hits that people would be screaming for Garland to be traded.

Then I noticed Garcia started.

Seriously, I grieve with every Sox loss. Tonight was no exception.

buehrle4cy05
05-27-2006, 01:01 AM
If people are that concerned with standings as of today, we are leading the Wild Card chase.:rolleyes:

Frontman
05-27-2006, 01:01 AM
Sometimes we get the crud kicked out of us, some times we kick the crud out of them. We'll get back at them tomorrow, and if we win Sunday, we take 2 out of 3. Win the series, work for a sweep. Can't get the sweep now, so let's get 'em tomorrow.

Thank God I didn't watch the whole game. Got to go out with my wife without the rugrat! ;)

At least we didn't blow a 3 run lead like another team did........

SoxSpeed22
05-27-2006, 02:04 AM
When I hear that Politte was the first one to actually throw inside to them, you know that's a bad sign, especially with a lineup this good.

Mohoney
05-27-2006, 02:09 AM

His curveball had some extra break tonight, though. Even when our guys were GUESSING curve, and were just trying to throw the bat out there, it was STILL about an inch more biting than our hitters could even deal with. Too much Ted Lilly tonight, even if Garcia would have pitched a gem.

Konerko is locked in at the plate right now, and took an otherwise filthy Lilly deep twice. Definitely one positive that we can take from tonight. Other than that, go get 'em tomorrow, Jose.

Bill Naharodny
05-27-2006, 02:37 AM
It's official:

Closer: Bob Jenks
8th Inning: Neal Cotts/Jeff Nelson (!)
7th Inning: Matt Thornton/Brandon McCarthy

Mop-Up Man: Cliff Politte (terrible, just terrible -- though I thank him for last year)

Permanently on the Phone Until July 31: Kenny Williams

(Future White Sox reliever: Scott Williamson)
(just my guess, and I'm not advocating for it, by the way. Just something I think could happen)

goon
05-27-2006, 03:13 AM
while politte has looked off all year, including spring break, AT LEAST his velocity is up. when before he was barely hitting 91 on the gun, he seemed to be consistently hitting 93-94 tonight, however, that's no good when you can't get the ball over the plate. i see cliff getting a few more chances, simply out of respect for what the guy can do and has done, however, kenny has made no secret that in order to improve the club/bullpen, he will make moves.

Realist
05-27-2006, 07:41 AM
I chalk that loss up to "you're gonna win 50 and lose 50..." That's one of the fifty we we're gonna lose no matter what. No biggie.

southside rocks
05-27-2006, 07:51 AM
It generally takes more than one guy hitting (but what nice blasts by Konerko) to win a game, so this did seem like it was a not-to-be for the Sox.

But is it my hyperactive worry gland, developed over almost 40 years of Sox-watching, that says that domes and fake turf are bugaboos for the Sox? Does anybody have any nice reassuring stats to show me that they win on artificial turf, overall? Possibly I have caught the gloom bug from listening to Farmer. I *think* I notice more Sox errors and less sharp defense when they play in fake fields. Yes? No?

SOXSINCE'70
05-27-2006, 09:24 AM
The Cubs starters are much, much worse, and everyone thinks they're Cy Young candidates.

If Cy Youngs were handed out for simulated games,
Carrie and "The Messiah" would be multiple award winners.:D: :D:

bluestar
05-27-2006, 12:35 PM
But is it my hyperactive worry gland, developed over almost 40 years of Sox-watching, that says that domes and fake turf are bugaboos for the Sox? Does anybody have any nice reassuring stats to show me that they win on artificial turf, overall? Possibly I have caught the gloom bug from listening to Farmer. I *think* I notice more Sox errors and less sharp defense when they play in fake fields. Yes? No?

Isn't this true of most teams whose home fields are not artificial turf? Everyone says it takes some adjustment to play on turf, and teams with turf on their home fields generally play better defense on turf. That's why the Twins are tough to beat at home, even when they have a fairly mediocre team like this year.

TheOldRoman
05-27-2006, 01:26 PM
It's official:

Closer: Bob Jenks
8th Inning: Neal Cotts/Jeff Nelson (!)
7th Inning: Matt Thornton/Brandon McCarthy

Mop-Up Man: Cliff Politte (terrible, just terrible -- though I thank him for last year)

Permanently on the Phone Until July 31: Kenny Williams

(Future White Sox reliever: Scott Williamson)
(just my guess, and I'm not advocating for it, by the way. Just something I think could happen)
How is that official?
Lets let Nelson record more than one out for us before we pencil him in as the set-up man. He has faced 3 men and two of them have reached base. He hasn't proven anything yet.

Bobbo35
05-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Oh well! No click besides paulie. The Sox will be back today. Let's go Jose!!!