PDA

View Full Version : Our Bench

beausox
02-03-2002, 10:56 AM
We know who is starting, but who's going to be coming in off the bench? There's a lot of compeition for the five spots (C, 1B/3B, 2B/SS, OF, OF). Here' show it breaks down.

C-If you assume Alomar as the starter (because he's grossly overpaid), then there are five guys competing for the back-up job. Lee Evans, Mark Delasandro, Josh Paul, Mark Johnson, and Miguel Olivo.

Olivo is probably the least likely to make the team, unless he would break camp as the starter, he is our top catching prospect and needs to play every day. Delasandro is nothing but a Quadruple A player and an orgazational soldier, though its nice we got him a cup of coffee last year. Evans was just a throw in in the Ritchie trade and in my opinion is nothing more than a back-up catcher someday at best. Alomar will not get more than 350 AB's so its more like a platoon partner than a back-up role whihc disqualifies Evans. Again this year its between Johnson or Paul. Paul has the speed and versatility plus the organization loves him. However he still can't hit his way out of a paper sack. Mark Johnson has to be our other catcher, he is relatively young, a former number 1 draft pick, and he is the only catcher that has any patience at the plate. I wouldn't complain if he was our starter.

1B/3B-This is the spot that we are counting heavily on Jeff Liefer for. Leifer can play 5 positions (1B, 3B, LF, RF, DH) and he hits enough to overshadow his defensive stuggles. He's not better than anyone we have starting at those positions, but he makes a great utility guy and come interleague a great pinch hitter in the 9th for the pitcher. However, if Crede breaks camp with the team (which would be another mistake if he's not going to play everyday), Liefer becomes one of the back-up outfielders.

2B/SS-The assumption here is that it will go to Tony Graffanino. While this is probably true, there are many other canidates taht could perform just as well as Tony and are a lot cheaper. We overpaid to resign Tony, he is a good ballplayer, but for an owner that always complains about money, sigining a back-up infielder for so much when you could pick a minor league free agent up for the league minimum makes no sense. Justin Baughman is coming to spring training and is just a good as player as Tony. He would cost a lot less than Tony though. Baughman can only play second, but if Clayton got hurt, Valentin moves to short and Liefer plays third. Also Jason Dellaero fields well enough to be a back-up infielder and he will never hit enough to be a starter. We overpaid for Tony and thats the bottom line.

OF (2)-If Lee isn't traded, then the outfield is Lee, Lofton, and Ordonez. Rowand makes the team as your fourth outfielder and would play left if Lee is traded. The fifth spot comes down two guys were pretty familiar with, Julio Ramirez and Brian Simmons. Neither has hit well in the majors, but Julio needs to find his stroke in AAA and Brian will run through a wall to catch a flyball, Brian will make the team.

We will have a good bench. We got guys with some power, speed, and good gloves that can step in when needed.

RichH55
02-04-2002, 12:47 AM
Essentially I agree here, but do you see both Rowand and Simmons making the team? Essentially if you see Liefer getting more At-bats from the OF slots?

MattSharp
02-04-2002, 02:31 AM
I think the Sox keep 5 bench players. Assuming Alomar, Crede, and Valentin are the starters. Here would be the bench:

C Johnson
IF/OF Liefer
IF Graffanino
SS Clayton
OF Rowand

Rowand can play all three OF positions and Liefer can play LF and maybe RF. Graffanino can play all IF position and Liefer can play 1B and 3B. They have plenty of utility guys. I would prefer to see them dump Clayton and use Simmons, but we can't have everything.

kermittheefrog
02-04-2002, 03:00 AM
Maybe I'm naive but I see Mark Johnson as the starter. I mean all he did was outplay Sandy Alomar in every way imaginable. Either way he and Alomar should be the two catchers on the roster no matter how you cut it.

Liefer and Graffanino are gaurenteed spots. I hesitate to say Rowand is because they might want him playing in AAA everyday. I'll go ahead and say Rowand is a yes. There could be one more spot depending on whether the Sox carry 11 or 12 pitchers, (i.e. if Jerry wants a guy at the back of the pen who never pitches) so if that spot exists I'll say it goes to Simmons because Liefer is a natural DH.

MattSharp
02-04-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Maybe I'm naive but I see Mark Johnson as the starter. I mean all he did was outplay Sandy Alomar in every way imaginable. Either way he and Alomar should be the two catchers on the roster no matter how you cut it.

Liefer and Graffanino are gaurenteed spots. I hesitate to say Rowand is because they might want him playing in AAA everyday. I'll go ahead and say Rowand is a yes. There could be one more spot depending on whether the Sox carry 11 or 12 pitchers, (i.e. if Jerry wants a guy at the back of the pen who never pitches) so if that spot exists I'll say it goes to Simmons because Liefer is a natural DH.

Are you then going under the assumption that Joe Crede will start the year at AAA? I think there's a major bottleneck on the left side of the IF. If Crede busts out this spring I say let Clayton go or get WHATEVER you can for him. Then start Valentin and you won't have to waste a roster spot on him.

Cheryl
02-04-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp

Are you then going under the assumption that Joe Crede will start the year at AAA?

Yup. Harrelson more or less said so at SoxFest. I know he's merely an announcer, but he seems to know more now about how the team is run and what decisions are made than he did when GM.

Anyway, he said Crede needs 5 or 600 more ABs in the minors. Or something along those lines.

voodoochile
02-04-2002, 11:54 AM
M Johnson (Alomar starts)
Leifer (duh)
Graffiano (duh)
Rownd (Lofton starts)

The 5th slot is harder. If you give it to a 12th pitcher then things get really tight at AAA at the CF and C spots. If you give it to a position player it comes down to Paul and Simmons.

Since Simmons is out of options odds are it goes to him. (I just can't see them sending Rowand back to AAA after the season he had last year). But - what do you do with Paul? He isn't going to be happy going back to AAA and he will just take away PT from Evans and Olivio. Delasandro should just retire or ask for a trade, IMO.

If you keep Paul, what do you do with Simmons? He almost HAS to make the squad (or clear waivers - from what I understand). But that leaves Rowand out in the cold. AAA outfiled is stocked and getting tighter. Something has to give. Valenzuela, Borchard (will he be at AA again?), Rameriz (yuck), and now Rowand/Simmons. There just isn't room for all of them to get PT.

I smell another trade coming, but for what or for whom, I have no idea.

What can we get for Paul, Rameriz and Delasandro anyway? How about a bag of baseballs and a new uniform number for JM...

WinningUgly!
02-04-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Yup. Harrelson more or less said so at SoxFest. I know he's merely an announcer, but he seems to know more now about how the team is run and what decisions are made than he did when GM.

Anyway, he said Crede needs 5 or 600 more ABs in the minors. Or something along those lines.
I guess I'd rather have Crede playing every day in AAA than rotting away at the show. Valentin also has to play everyday, I didn't want to see the Crede/Valentin platoon thing at 3b. Damn you Clayton! :D:

pearso66
02-04-2002, 03:28 PM
well if you package clayton, paul, Rameriz and Delasandro, we might be able to get a lifelong minor league ball player..

which in my eyes is better than having clayton sucking up spots in the IF. granted he only plays short, but then that takes 3rd away cuz they are playing jose there. thats just my opinion

RichH55
02-05-2002, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by pearso66
well if you package clayton, paul, Rameriz and Delasandro, we might be able to get a lifelong minor league ball player..

which in my eyes is better than having clayton sucking up spots in the IF. granted he only plays short, but then that takes 3rd away cuz they are playing jose there. thats just my opinion

Losing Royce is truly addition by subtraction at this point.....if we could give up those 4 guys and get a lifelong double A guy...id be happy