PDA

View Full Version : overheard at Starbucks on N Michigan

Fenway
05-26-2006, 07:31 PM
About an hour ago I saw a sad sight. A family walked into Starbucks and they obviously were at Wrigley and then American Girl Place. The boy was probably 8 or so and was crying to his Dad he didn't want to be Cubs fan and the father was telling him it built character. Poor kid.:(:

miker
05-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Where's DCFS when you need them!

batmanZoSo
05-26-2006, 09:12 PM
That would suck to be an impressionable kid right now in a cub household. Imagine longing to be with the glorious champions but mired in your father's depressing blue and red roots of mediocrity. That kid's gonna make some shrink wealthy some day.

Ol' No. 2
05-26-2006, 09:17 PM
That would suck to be an impressionable kid right now in a cub household. Imagine longing to be with the glorious champions but mired in your father's depressing blue and red roots of mediocrity. That kid's gonna make some shrink wealthy some day.Either that or he's going to grow up to be an axe murderer.

RadioheadRocks
05-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Somewhere in the not-too-distant future a pharmacist is filling a Prozac prescription...

nedlug
05-26-2006, 09:55 PM
That's some really funny stuff - hardest I've laughed in a while.

Banix12
05-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Let's hope that kid rebels and joins the south side.

1951Campbell
05-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Let's hope that kid rebels and joins the south side.

Somehow I managed to pick up my dad's Sox fandom yet be totally repulsed by his Bear fandom, so there's hope for that little whelp. :wink:

beckett21
05-26-2006, 10:26 PM
My father's a Cub fan, but fortunately he never imposed his will upon me. He hated going to Wrigley because there was never any parking so he would take me to Sox games instead. :D:

I became a Sox fan at the age of 7, thanks to Oscar Gamble, Richie Zisk and the South Side Hit Men of '77. Never looked back. :cool:

WizardsofOzzie
05-26-2006, 11:12 PM
About an hour ago I saw a sad sight. A family walked into Starbucks and they obviously were at Wrigley and then American Girl Place. The boy was probably 8 or so and was crying to his Dad he didn't want to be Cubs fan and the father was telling him it built character. Poor kid.:(:

Damn thats depressing. Hopefully the kid will switch over before its too late.

Hitmen77
05-26-2006, 11:25 PM

That's pathetic. Not that I'm expecting them to become Sox fans. But if going to Cubs games is too painful and upsetting for this boy, maybe the dad should consider laying off on trips to the Urinal for a while. Is that such a crazy idea? :dunno:

TheDarkGundam
05-26-2006, 11:49 PM
You all think that kid's gonna be messed-up, imagine how this scenario would've played out if Hangar had been in that Starbucks! :o:

getonbckthr
05-27-2006, 12:05 AM
You all think that kid's gonna be messed-up, imagine how this scenario would've played out if Hangar had been in that Starbucks! :o:
Hangar might have kidnapped the little boy to save him from many near suicidal thoughts over the next 60 years.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Hangar might have kidnapped the little boy to save him from many near suicidal thoughts over the next 60 years.

Only to create new near suicidal thoughts. :cool:

TDog
05-27-2006, 12:14 AM
I thought you had to be 21 to get into Wrigley Field.

With the emphasis on beer, they should have to card people at the turnstiles.

DumpJerry
05-27-2006, 12:51 AM
Where's DCFS when you need them!
1-800-25-ABUSE

gbergman
05-27-2006, 01:35 AM
This reminds me of star wars episode 5 & 6
but ill change to them

Father" (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000469/) There is no escape. Don't make me ground you.
[pauses]
Father (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000469/): Son, you do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power as a cubs fan. Join me, and I will complete your training of drinking hard and not understanding baseball. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict of trying to win a world series and bring order to the galaxy by another 98 years of losing.
Son: I'll never join you.
Son: Search your feelings, Father, you can't do this to me. I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate of the white sox and root for a winner.
Darth Vader (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000469/): It is too late for me, son. The Emperor Tribune will show you the true nature of the Cub Force. He is your master now.
Luke (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000434/): Then my father is truly dead.

I would insert a picture but i dont know how to

IlliniSox4Life
05-27-2006, 02:59 AM
That's pretty funny to think about, it's just sad when you realize what's going on. I feel bad for the kid. He has to grow up with his dad caring more about a sports team than his own son. I mean, I love the Sox, but when I have kids, nothing will come before them, let alone something as trivial as a sport. His excuse about "building character" is ridiculous. There are plenty of things in this world that can build character, and cheering for a losing team is hardly one of them. And there's no reason to be concerned about a kid that young developing character - save that for when they actually realize what is going on in the world.

Mr. White Sox
05-27-2006, 05:10 AM
Living on the North Side, I ALMOST succumbed to the peer pressure of becoming a Cubs fan. My parents - who lived in Boston for a while - became huge White Sox fans when they moved to Chicago thanks to Carlton Fisk + Night Games. Luckily my parents had a stronger influence on me than my friends, and the slew of Sox games I went to as a kid sealed the deal. PHEW!

Since those fateful years, I have been to two Cubs games in my lifetime. One was about 10 years ago, and the last time was last summer for free with some Cubby-fan-friends. They lost to the Braves after Prior threw something like 140 pitches in 6 innings. Korey Patterson got the final out. Good times.

WSox597
05-27-2006, 06:11 AM
My father was a cub fan, too. I got over it quickly because his brother took me to Sox games when my father was unable to take us to games due to work pressures.

I've been to Wiggly twice in my life, both times in '66 to see Willie Mays play. I also wanted to see some of the other great Giants players, McCovey, Marichal, you know, actual good players.

I hope that kid is allowed to come to the light.

bigfoot
05-27-2006, 06:26 AM

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:0Kj5o4Qf5UNLVM:www.geocities.com/koekwaus25/Gacy.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.geocities.com/koekwaus25/Gacy.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.geocities.com/koekwaus25/books&h=687&w=404&sz=100&hl=en&start=9&tbnid=0Kj5o4Qf5UNLVM:&tbnh=137&tbnw=80&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djohn%2Bwayne%2Bgacy%2Bclown%2B%26svnu m%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG) This guy was quite a character, too! And a Cub fan.....!

ws05champs
05-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Perhaps Brooks needs to put some sort of program together to help these poor kids. Maybe set up some type of club with a generic sounding name like, "Kids Fun Club" where these parents could drop their kid off. Then without really specifying what the day's activity is, a bus would come and take kids to see a Sox game. The kids would them be instructed to tell their parents they did something vague like "learned about baseball."

Also Brooks has an opportunity for targeting an ad at these kids letting them know that they can rebel against their parents on baseball preferences. Something like:

"Eat your Lima beans."
"I don't want you being friends with him."
"You're not wearing that outside of the house."
"You will be a Cubs fan."

....You don't always have to listen to your parents.

Layla
05-27-2006, 01:35 PM
My dad was a huge Cubs fan (he's been gone 3 years now). My first game was at Wrigley Field Cubs against the Cardinals.

Then we moved to the Southwest Side of Chicago. Went to see White Sox games. My brother and I became huge White Sox fans and my dad stuck with the Cubs.

There is always hope.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Also Brooks has an opportunity for targeting an ad at these kids letting them know that they can rebel against their parents on baseball preferences. Something like:

"Eat your Lima beans."

http://members.aol.com/steelkurtn/punky.jpg

"You can have my Lima beans."

white sox bill
05-27-2006, 02:24 PM

Its called birth defect.

soxwon
05-27-2006, 03:07 PM

i once saw a mother with her little boy about 6 years old
the boy was wearing a cubs hat.
i told her, maam please dont let your kid grow up to be a cubs fan.
Because he will go through life expecting things that dont exist, he will grow depressed and require Therapy, he will have a mentality of a loser.
she looked at me and said " Cardinals fan?".
No i said SOX FAN, eternal optomists.

RealMenWearBlack
05-27-2006, 03:50 PM
They lost to the Braves after Prior threw something like 140 pitches in 6 innings. Korey Patterson got the final out. Good times.

I went to the same game last year for free, too. It was my first non Sox/Cubs Cubs game I had been to since the game where Sosa hit his 300th or 400th home run.

Hangar18
05-29-2006, 03:10 PM
the dad saying that ...............automatically qualified that as another
Stupid Cub Fan Moment