PDA

View Full Version : Maroth to the DL

ilsox7
05-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Well, as some us of have been saying, they would experience some significant setbacks to their rotation. This looks like the start of it.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2459516)

itsnotrequired
05-26-2006, 03:12 PM
I'll use my usual line of "while I don't applaud the injury, I certainly applaud the timing."

:D:

ilsox7
05-26-2006, 03:16 PM
I'll use my usual line of "while I don't applaud the injury, I certainly applaud the timing."

:D:

Yea. I never applaud an injury. But the chances were great at least 1 of the guys, if not 3, would break down in some way this year either in performance or injury.

Baby Fisk
05-26-2006, 03:16 PM
This is definitely bad timing for Motown. After breaking the hearts of any remaining Royals fans last night, they now look ahead to series against Cleveland, New York, Boston and Chicago. Now we shall see how much roar is in these cats.

itsnotrequired
05-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Yea. I never applaud an injury. But the chances were great at least 1 of the guys, if not 3, would break down in some way this year either in performance or injury.

I'm assuming today is his first day on the list. If so, he'll miss the entire Sox series.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-26-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm assuming today is his first day on the list. If so, he'll miss the entire Sox series.

Sore elbow? Don't expect him back anytime soon. That's NOT an injury to mess with.

itsnotrequired
05-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Sore elbow? Don't expect him back anytime soon. That's NOT an injury to mess with.

No doubt. I just counted the days out and there is NO WAY he will be eligible for the Sox series in June. He should be ready by the July series though, assuming Detroit isn't pulling a Prior-Wood routine.

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, as some us of have been saying, they would experience some significant setbacks to their rotation. This looks like the start of it.

WELL, that only give them a BIG FOUR instead of a BIG FIVE.
They still match up with us pitcher for pitcher, unless Garland decides he wants to MAN UP. I could use a little more consistency from Vazquez too right about now if Garland isnt going to MAN UP.

ilsox7
05-26-2006, 03:35 PM
No doubt. I just counted the days out and there is NO WAY he will be eligible for the Sox series in June. He should be ready by the July series though, assuming Detroit isn't pulling a Prior-Wood routine.

Generally with sore elbows, guys get shut down for at least a week. I'd say best case for the Tigers is Maroth comes back at the end of June. Unless this is totally precautionary, but that's generally not the case with a bad elbow.

Hitmen77
05-26-2006, 03:49 PM

Ruh-roh, Raggy.

Seriously, though I don't wish any injury to him. Though this may benefit the Sox, I'm sorry to hear a fine pitcher has gone down to injury. We lost Jose for two starts and those 2 turns in the rotation resulted in the Sox scoring 6 or 7 runs each game and losing both games. Thankfully for us, Jose seems to be fully recovered from that pinched nerve.

Chisox003
05-26-2006, 04:06 PM
WELL, that only give them a BIG FOUR instead of a BIG FIVE.
They still match up with us pitcher for pitcher, unless Garland decides he wants to MAN UP. I could use a little more consistency from Vazquez too right about now if Garland isnt going to MAN UP.
Hangar, the Tigers don't even come close to matching us pitcher for pitcher.

Bullpen maybe, but starting rotation? Tell me that come next month.

palehozenychicty
05-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Hangar, the Tigers don't even come close to matching us pitcher for pitcher.

Bullpen maybe, but starting rotation? Tell me that come next month.

Thank you for injecting reality into the thread. Until the Tigers get to the postseason and succeed, I'm not listening.:rolleyes:

samram
05-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Generally with sore elbows, guys get shut down for at least a week. I'd say best case for the Tigers is Maroth comes back at the end of June. Unless this is totally precautionary, but that's generally not the case with a bad elbow.

Plus, he got lit up yesterday, so there is definitely something wrong there.

elrod
05-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Chris Spurling called up to replace Maroth. Well, if Maroth was really having a true breakout season and not a fluky start, then this is a big setback for Detroit. The other shoe I'm waiting for to drop is Nate Robertson. He's not as good as he's pitching right now. Verlander is solid too, but I bet the league starts to figure him out. Kenny Rogers is the only pitcher that worries me. Bonderman is having an average year, but he's always tough.

ilsox7
05-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Chris Spurling called up to replace Maroth. Well, if Maroth was really having a true breakout season and not a fluky start, then this is a big setback for Detroit. The other shoe I'm waiting for to drop is Nate Robertson. He's not as good as he's pitching right now. Verlander is solid too, but I bet the league starts to figure him out. Kenny Rogers is the only pitcher that worries me. Bonderman is having an average year, but he's always tough.

Robertson is the other shoe, and Rogers after the All-Star break will complete the trifecta.

mmmmmbeeer
05-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Apparently Leyland just made a comment the other day that he'd like to skip Verlander's spot in the rotation here and there to keep him fresh. I guess the most the kid has ever thrown in professional ball is like 130 innings. With Maroth out, this really throws a kink in that plan. They're going to be forced to pitch Verlander every outing until Maroth makes his way back. This could lead to a mid-August collapse in performance by Verlander.

I really like watching that kid pitch, it's REALLY unfortunate that he pitches for the Tigers. The fact he was still throwing 99mph in the 9th inning the other day, just baffles me.

Lip Man 1
05-26-2006, 04:58 PM
I never like to see players get hurt, after all most have families, but I'm sure we won't refuse the good fortune.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
05-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Sore elbow? Don't expect him back anytime soon. That's NOT an injury to mess with.Are we sure it's his elbow? Maybe he hurt his neck watching those HR balls fly out of the park yesterday.

Lip Man 1
05-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Who's? The Royals or the Tigers later on?

Lip

thomas35forever
05-27-2006, 12:26 AM
The only problem I have with this injury is that Maroth is on my fantasy team.

FloridaTigers
05-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Apparently Leyland just made a comment the other day that he'd like to skip Verlander's spot in the rotation here and there to keep him fresh. I guess the most the kid has ever thrown in professional ball is like 130 innings. With Maroth out, this really throws a kink in that plan. They're going to be forced to pitch Verlander every outing until Maroth makes his way back. This could lead to a mid-August collapse in performance by Verlander.

I really like watching that kid pitch, it's REALLY unfortunate that he pitches for the Tigers. The fact he was still throwing 99mph in the 9th inning the other day, just baffles me.

Verlander is really something. If you think he's exciting, watch Joel Zumaya pitch. The Maroth injury is a setback for us, but Roman Colon isn't a bad replacement in the meantime.

munchman33
05-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Verlander is really something. If you think he's exciting, watch Joel Zumaya pitch. The Maroth injury is a setback for us, but Roman Colon isn't a bad replacement in the meantime.

Haha. Yeah, well there's a reason we're all happy here about Roman Colon being in the rotation. There's a huge dropoff. Way bigger than any dropoff the White Sox would feel if someone on our squad went down. Keep that in mind. Because the Tigers, as they're built now, are two or three injuries away from being last year's squad.

FloridaTigers
05-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Roman Colon can throw it. He's been exceptional in relief, and I have faith that he'll pitch decent. Like Oblong said, the White Sox are a Jim Thome injury away from fading. Don't act like the White Sox are the most durable non injury prone team in history. AJ or Dye goes down, thats a massive setback.

CHISOXFAN13
05-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Roman Colon can throw it. He's been exceptional in relief, and I have faith that he'll pitch decent. Like Oblong said, the White Sox are a Jim Thome injury away from fading. Don't act like the White Sox are the most durable non injury prone team in history. AJ or Dye goes down, thats a massive setback.

Wrong. Unlike yours, our general manager has proven throughpout the years that he would do whatever it takes to replace a key injured player.

Why are you trying to start **** here?

FloridaTigers
05-28-2006, 12:51 AM
I'm not. I haven't said anything but truth. Any team in contention that loses their main offensive player is in deep trouble. Don't see why you need to get all pissy about it.

FedEx227
05-28-2006, 01:03 AM
But see thats not true. In 2004 the White Sox lost their two best offensive weapons and still hung around until the last week of the season.

Ol' No. 2
05-28-2006, 01:13 AM
I'm not. I haven't said anything but truth. Any team in contention that loses their main offensive player is in deep trouble. Don't see why you need to get all pissy about it.Rubbish. Teams lose players all the time and survive it. It's called bench strength, and the Sox have one of the best benches in the majors. There's no way the loss of someone like Thome or Konerko wouldn't hurt. But deep trouble??? No.

santo=dorf
05-28-2006, 01:18 AM
Don't act like the White Sox are the most durable non injury prone team in history. AJ or Dye goes down, thats a massive setback.
I recall seeing a stat saying the White Sox saying the White Sox have used the fewest DL days over the past 15 years. Could it be because of their trainers and proper conditioning?

Is that a good enough reason to feel confident in our team's health? How concerned are you with Carlos Guillen, and Magglio's hamburger helper knee?

FloridaTigers
05-28-2006, 01:49 AM
Carlos Guillen is back in his old All-Star form and is getting rest weekly. Magglio is hitting the crap out of the ball including a HR tonight. Frankly, I'm not worried about any of those two right now. Both seem fully recovered, or so it looks to be that way. Polanco did have back problems earlier in the season, but those seem to be a thing of the past. (Hopefully) Maroth is who concerns me the most. This could turn out ugly.

ilsox7
05-28-2006, 01:53 AM
Carlos Guillen is back in his old All-Star form and is getting rest weekly. Magglio is hitting the crap out of the ball including a HR tonight. Frankly, I'm not worried about any of those two right now. Both seem fully recovered, or so it looks to be that way. Polanco did have back problems earlier in the season, but those seem to be a thing of the past. (Hopefully) Maroth is who concerns me the most. This could turn out ugly.

And Thome's been fine for the season, too. If you're going to dismiss any possibility of injury to Tigers players, then by that same logic you should do the same to Sox players.

FloridaTigers
05-28-2006, 01:55 AM
Thome is apperantly fine enough to lead the AL in HRs. No doubt he's healthy. All I said was that a Thome-esque injury could setback the team.

munchman33
05-28-2006, 08:55 AM
And Thome's been fine for the season, too. If you're going to dismiss any possibility of injury to Tigers players, then by that same logic you should do the same to Sox players.

Yeah, and what he doesn't realize is our guys are the only ones he should be dismissing it with. The Tigers offense is full of guys that have spent careers or serious amounts of time on the D.L.

munchman33
05-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Thome is apperantly fine enough to lead the AL in HRs. No doubt he's healthy. All I said was that a Thome-esque injury could setback the team.

I love how you are taking a guy who's been on the D.L. a total of once in his entire career, over a decade long, and using his name as an adjective for a injury.

I mean, should we then call any possible injury Tiger-esque, since that team's pretty much run the gambit? :tongue:

SBSoxFan
05-28-2006, 09:15 AM

The last time I saw Zumaya pitch was when Paulie took one of his 100 mph fastballs out in Detroit.

tigersfan25
05-28-2006, 12:05 PM
The last time I saw Zumaya pitch was when Paulie took one of his 100 mph fastballs out in Detroit.
Paulie's a professional hitter... :D:

FloridaTigers
05-28-2006, 01:28 PM
I love how you are taking a guy who's been on the D.L. a total of once in his entire career, over a decade long, and using his name as an adjective for a injury.

I mean, should we then call any possible injury Tiger-esque, since that team's pretty much run the gambit? :tongue:

Well, a "Guillenesque" or "Magglioesque" injury could hurt us. :(:

Luckily, both appear healthy.

ilsox7
05-28-2006, 02:12 PM

No offense, but DUH. Take away the best offensive player on any team, let alone when that guy is the best offensive player in his league (or close to it) and of course it will hurt the team. What you continually overlook is that this team won the World Series last year without Thome. So while it would hurt our offense, you wouldn't see the Sox packing it in for the year.

This is such a dumb conversation.

FloridaTigers
05-28-2006, 02:23 PM
It really is. Lets end it.

SBSoxFan
05-29-2006, 06:58 AM
Paulie's a professional hitter... :D:
:nod:

nasox
05-30-2006, 10:53 AM
It really is. Lets end it.
But that's no fun.

We want a flame war!
We want a flame war!

Here, I'll start it with a picture.

***Post anything like that again you will be enjoying your toy with a few months off.***

CLR01
05-30-2006, 11:49 AM
But that's no fun.

We want a flame war!
We want a flame war!

Here, I'll start it with a picture.

Are you looking to get a vacation?

Ol' No. 2
06-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Maroth's going under the knife. Out until at least late July. And with Robertson's ERA rising, things are taking a turn for the worse in Tigger-land.

Inklae (http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060601&content_id=1483075&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det)

GoSox2K3
06-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Maroth's going under the knife. Out until at least late July. And with Robertson's ERA rising, things are taking a turn for the worse in Tigger-land.

Inklae (http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060601&content_id=1483075&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det)

Same with Kenny Rogers.

Meanwhile, maybe the Sox should do themselves a favor and come home from Cleveland tonight with a split instead of letting the Indians creep back into this thing.

White Sox Randy
06-01-2006, 03:25 PM
Let's trade them GARLAND for GRANDERSON and ZUMAYA right now. I'm serious.

ilsox7
06-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Let's trade them GARLAND for GRANDERSON and ZUMAYA right now. I'm serious.

Somehow I doubt JG would approve that trade.

Baby Fisk
06-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Somehow I doubt JG would approve that trade.
Haha, you're like the WSI Garland Trade Referee. :cool: "Ilsox7 throws another flag on that play..."

ilsox7
06-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Haha, you're like the WSI Garland Trade Referee. :cool: "Ilsox7 throws another flag on that play..."

Yea. I am trying to say it in a different manner each time, too. Gotta keep some variety in my life!