PDA

View Full Version : Ron Santo- Buffoon

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 02:06 PM
the game is on right now .........heres an excerpt of the last inning.

Hughes: Suspensions were handed down today by VP of operations
Bob Watson ...................Barrett is going to get a TENNNNNNNNNN DAYYYYYYYYY Suspension
Santo: Yeah, um ..............ahem....................yeah........ ...
he.....................ummmmmmmmmm................ ......he...............
yeah...............................uhhhhhhhhhhh... ............
ummmmmm...................................
hes going to appeal it
Hughes: Also says here, Brian Anderson will get 5 games and 3b Coach Joey Cora will get 2 games
Santo: yeah, I dont think coaches need to be getting involved
Hughes: and AJ Pierzynski will Not be suspended, only an undisclosed fine
Santo: well, I think he already got his punishment
(Awkward Silence for a few moments)
Santo: and when I say that, I mean from getting hit

PatK
05-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Why the hell is everyone in Cubdom acting like that punch that Barrett threw actually hurt?

palehozenychicty
05-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Why the hell is everyone in Cubdom acting like that punch that Barrett threw actually hurt?

this is the part that really cracks me up. it ain't like a.j. had to miss a start. :rolleyes:

sullythered
05-26-2006, 02:10 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Santo's buffoonery is possibly my favorite thing about the flubs.
What the hell was AJ getting "punished" for, exactly?

yesenia
05-26-2006, 02:12 PM

Seriously! Did anyone see AJ fall down? He was pretty much pushed away. There wasn't even a mark on him immediately afterward. Pods was the one who had Barret in a headlock on the ground and BA sent Mabry to the ER. Thats a team!

twsoxfan5
05-26-2006, 02:12 PM

Because AJ did admit on the Final Word that he was in a daze after he got hit. I am sure a sucker punch square to the face would hurt even if it didn't knock you down.

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 02:14 PM

Funny part is that his sucker-punch, didnt even hurt him.
Andersons punch to Barrett left a mark. Anyone notice it?

sullythered
05-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Because AJ did admit on the Final Word that he was in a daze after he got hit. I am sure a sucker punch square to the face would hurt even if it didn't knock you down.

A right cross delivered from a "martial arts expert" directly to the jaw of an unsuspecting victim should do a hell of a lot more than "daze" said victim.

I've been the recipient of a few shots in my life, I'm not proud to say, and they weren't from any "martial arts experts." Any time I was hit that square, it, at least, sent me to a knee.

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 02:16 PM

AJ was in a daze because he was extremely shocked that punch came,
out of nowhere. I was Shocked when he did it, I didnt expect that,
it was a clean play, Barrett like an idiot blocked the plate, causing the collision and taking himself out of a play afterwards

Edward
05-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Did anyone see Barrett's press conference today? His response to the suspension was hilarious. He was clearly reading it off a notecard, I doubt he knew what half the words he was saying actually meant. It reminded me of giving a speech in the 3rd grade.

maurice
05-26-2006, 02:19 PM
AJ was surprised by the unprovoked limp-wristed punch, nut hurt.

Barrett (a professional athlete who allegedly works out and trains in martial arts) took a free shot on the jaw of an unsuspecting person and couldn't even knock him down. Meanwhile, the smallest guy in our lineup took Barrett to the ground easily. Mabry tried to take Anderson down, but BA reversed it and landed on top, sending Mabry to the hospital.

I agree with the fellow with the sign that advised Barrett to "hit him with your purse next time." His mother probably kisses harder than that.

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Did anyone see Barrett's press conference today? His response to the suspension was hilarious. He was clearly reading it off a notecard, I doubt he knew what half the words he was saying actually meant. It reminded me of giving a speech in the 3rd grade.

Par for the Course. Michael Barrett ISthat big-time Jock in high-school
who was dumb as a box of hammers, but was a star athlete, pushed over dorks, made fun of foreign-exchange students, beat up children.

Barrett: I are very disappointed at this obvious injunction and tramelsty.

MarySwiss
05-26-2006, 02:31 PM
who was dumb as a box of hammers, but was a star athlete, pushed over dorks, made fun of foreign-exchange students, beat up children.

Hangar, please tell me he didn't really say that! No one could be that stupid, could they? :o:

Then again, he IS a Cub!

Steelrod
05-26-2006, 02:35 PM

He shouldn't be that hard on Cub fans!

Edward
05-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Hangar, please tell me he didn't really say that! No one could be that stupid, could they? :o:

Then again, he IS a Cub!

"I understand there are consequences to my actions, I would've wished the punishment would be less stringent, but I am hopeful that upon appeal, it will be lessened. Ultimately, I want to move on from this and help the Chicago Cubs win baseball games."

It comes off much better on paper, watch the news tonight and see how stupid he sounds during his conference.

MarySwiss
05-26-2006, 02:41 PM
"I understand there are consequences to my actions, I would've wished the punishment would be less stringent, but I am hopeful that upon appeal, it will be lessened. Ultimately, I want to move on from this and help the Chicago Cubs win baseball games."

It comes off much better on paper, watch the news tonight and see how stupid he sounds during his conference.

Will do. We may not get all the Sox games out here in Ariz., but we do get the WGN news, lucky us! :tongue:

However, I'm also perfectly willing to take your word for it.

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 02:43 PM

Thats what was on his his teleprompter. Heres what he said:

" Me know me Actions have consequenshes, I mad very much punishment too hard, Me wish punishment lower.
Me want to go forward and help cubs to lots of games and world series too"

itsnotrequired
05-26-2006, 02:48 PM

" Me know me Actions have consequenshes, I mad very much punishment too hard, Me wish punishment lower.

:rolling:

Edward
05-26-2006, 02:49 PM

Edward
05-26-2006, 02:50 PM

Oh man, you beat me to it :smile:

itsnotrequired
05-26-2006, 02:57 PM
I just checked the pitch counts in the game. Zambrano has 105 pitches through 6...and is throwing a no hitter!

:?:

cheeses_h_rice
05-26-2006, 03:03 PM
I just checked the pitch counts in the game. Zambrano has 105 pitches through 6...and is throwing a no hitter!

:?:

http://www.autographedtoyou.com/celebpics/dusty_baker5.jpg

Right on target for 160 pitches through 9.

SOLID!

Edward
05-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Back on the Santo talk. Did anyone just watch him sing in the 7th?

"Alright, were going through a tough time now, but lets show these cubs how much we love em"

:puking:

peeonwrigley
05-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Santo's toupee is usually bad. Today it looks like a he scooped a dead squirrel off Clark St on his way to the stadium and slapped in on his head, without bothering to glue it.

UofCSoxFan
05-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Anyone listening to him when Jones dropped the ball? Wish I could've heard that. Was it like the Brant Brown "He dropped the ball" quote?

HotelWhiteSox
05-26-2006, 03:37 PM
I've been punched harder in middle school. LMAO, Barrett with a suckerpunch, holds the other guy's arms down, as clear a shot as you will get, and he doesn't even leave a mark, AJ doesn't even flinch

itsnotrequired
05-26-2006, 03:41 PM
I've been punched harder in middle school. LMAO, Barrett with a suckerpunch, holds the other guy's arms down, as clear a shot as you will get, and he doesn't even leave a mark, AJ doesn't even flinch

I wouldn't go that far...

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 03:44 PM

"Alright, were going through a tough time now, but lets show these cubs how much we love em"

B-U-F-F-O-O-N. He knows just how dang lucky he is, to be an announcer for team that doesnt care about how bad he is professionally. No other team, GUARANTEED would ever hire a guy with nothing intelligent to add to a ballgame. And he supposedly played third base.

gf2020
05-26-2006, 03:54 PM
No other team, GUARANTEED would ever hire a guy with nothing intelligent to add to a ballgame.

I'm not even sure that statement is true if you had said: "No other team in the city."

Vernam
05-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Santo's toupee is usually bad. Today it looks like a he scooped a dead squirrel off Clark St on his way to the stadium and slapped in on his head, without bothering to glue it.I just knew that squirrel from our Monday night game was a bandwagon jumper. :redneck

We all owe Barrett a debt for making it okay to hate the Flubs again! Enough of taking the high road . . .

Vernam

soxruleEP
05-26-2006, 04:02 PM

he also screwed up the words--"take me out to cub"

Uncle_Patrick
05-26-2006, 04:38 PM
I heard a great exchange between Pat and Ron today when tuned in to see if they were talking about the fines/suspension:

Pat: "(insert Cubs team physician's name, I can't remember it) wants us to wish his father a happy birthday today."

Ron: "Really...I didn't think he had a father."

Pat: (Long pause) uh...I'm not sure where you're going with that Ron."

Ron: "Uh..nevermind".

hawkjt
05-26-2006, 05:09 PM
heard a little of santo in the 9th.

ooohhhh, oooh no. this is ridiculous, this is ridiculous.

ohmygod. this cant be happening again. oh no.

silence.

LongLiveFisk
05-26-2006, 05:26 PM

silence.

I heard it too....priceless!! :roflmao:

RadioheadRocks
05-26-2006, 05:53 PM

silence.

Perfect ammunition to use toward any sCrUB fans who talk endlessly about the White Sox team being "homers".

Uncle_Patrick
05-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Perfect ammunition to use toward any sCrUB fans who talk endlessly about the White Sox team being "homers".

But its cute when Santo does it.

DMarte708
05-26-2006, 06:20 PM
But its cute when Santo does it.
Well, just don't remember his battle with diabetes and the fact he doesn't have legs. This fact oversees any of his broadcasting skills, and thus, gives him complete immunity from critcism. Anyone who insults Santo obviously insults diabetes survivors.

miker
05-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Because the Cubs play baseball like Michael Barrett punches...

soxruleEP
05-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Well, just don't remember his battle with diabetes and the fact he doesn't have legs. This fact oversees any of his broadcasting skills, and thus, gives him complete immunity from critcism. Anyone who insults Santo obviously insults diabetes survivors.

Gicen my own status as a diabetic, I hope to God that I never hear any SCrub fan say anything remotely like that. Diabetes does not affect your intelligence. Santo is an idiot all by himself.

SOXSINCE'70
05-26-2006, 08:20 PM

I'll side with Batman Zoso on this one.In an earlier post,he said AJ
was fined for "just being a dick".:D:

RadioheadRocks
05-26-2006, 08:24 PM
I'll side with Batman Zoso on this one.In an earlier post,he said AJ
was fined for "just being a dick".:D:

That being the case, why isn't Zambozo being fined every game he pitches???!!!

C-Dawg
05-26-2006, 08:28 PM
B-U-F-F-O-O-N. He knows just how dang lucky he is, to be an announcer for team that doesnt care about how bad he is professionally. No other team, GUARANTEED would ever hire a guy with nothing intelligent to add to a ballgame. And he supposedly played third base.

Does Santo get a bonus every time he mentions 1969? I swear he mentions it in each game; its his only brush with greatness (if you want to call the biggest choke in sports history "great").

I doubt he knows much else about the Cubs. Someone should ask him what position Ron Cey played, for example. He probably doesn't know.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2006, 09:53 PM

:shammy

"And beisbol has been bery, bery goodtome."

QCIASOXFAN
05-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Ron Santo is a stubling bumbling old fool, who has to watch the Cubs play every game and helps make up different excuses why his team doesn't blow ass.

LuvSox
05-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Quick story:

I'm out in the yard today putting up new porch lights. The old timer across the street is doing yard work with the Cubbie pre-game CRANKED, I couldn't help but listen. I can't drown that crap out with music because the power is off so I can put up the lights, blah blah blah. Santo is going on and on about how AJ went at Barrett on purpose, how the punch was justified. Santo is such a dick, all those years of hypoglycemia has gone to his pea sized brain.

LongLiveFisk
05-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Quick story:

I'm out in the yard today putting up new porch lights. The old timer across the street is doing yard work with the Cubbie pre-game CRANKED, I couldn't help but listen. I can't drown that crap out with music because the power is off so I can put up the lights, blah blah blah. Santo is going on and on about how AJ went at Barrett on purpose, how the punch was justified. Santo is such a dick, all those years of hypoglycemia has gone to his pea sized brain.

Gee, who knew Santo had mind-reading capabilities? He actually KNEW what AJ's intentions were?

:kukoo:

:santo = :dumbass:

WhiteSoxRich
05-27-2006, 12:32 AM
Santo also said that he thought Barrett suspension was way too harsh. After all, this is baseball, and sometimes you just can't hold your emotions back. Funny, but AJ seemed to be able to hold his emotions back after getting punched in the face. I don't know many people that would not have swung back. I know I couldn't do it, I would have jacked Barrett if he hit me.

TDog
05-27-2006, 12:38 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Santo's buffoonery is possibly my favorite thing about the flubs.

AJ is getting punished for hitting Barrett's fist with his face. Oddly enough, Barrett didn't flinch, until he started talking about his actions later.

I don't own a television set, and even I saw the replay. Barrett grabbed him and didn't shove him aside, but punched him without warning, let alone provocation. That a radio announcer would even try to convince people things happened differently is sad.

The next time Barrett makes what could be described as a hostile move toward another player, Barrett would be partially to blame for getting the crap kicked out of him. After all, he's a guy who will sucker punch people.

Like nobody saw it.

WSox597
05-27-2006, 06:04 AM
When Santo was playing, we called him "Mr. Clutch" jokingly. If the Cubs were up by a large margin, he'd hit a three-run shot. If they were down 1-0 and had the bases loaded, he'd manage to not drive anyone in. "Mr. Clutch"

Even then, most non-Cubs fans hated this mutt. And in '69 he showed his true colors when he went after that outfielder for muffing a play. Like they would have gone to the Series if only he caught the ball.

And as a third baseman, he was average. Not exactly Brooks Robinson. Or Joe Crede for that matter. The only way he belongs in a Hall of Fame is if there's one for the worst toupees in sports. What is that thing, squirrel or Chihuahua?

southside rocks
05-27-2006, 07:11 AM
"AJ Pierzynski speaks with his game, he does it loudly and does it well, and losers hate him for it."

Source: Jeff McMahon's blog, Chicago Cubune Watch. Great stuff. http://www.cubune.com/

Every now and then I catch myself feeling almost sorry for Santo, and the other Cubs players who are witnessing this travesty of a season, but just when I feel stirrings of compassion towards them, something happens like Barrett punching AJ, or Zambozo plunking Iguchi, and the pity is lost in realizing all over again how much I despise the flubs.

(Note to self: work on being a better person.)

white sox bill
05-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Wasn't santo the butt end of a The Simpsons storyline? Seems one of the characters was sitting on the can and needed t paper, there was none, so he/she looked at book on floor and it said : "The ron santo story" which got used as t paper. Am I thinking of the right thing?

santo=dorf
05-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Gee, who knew Santo had mind-reading capabilities? He actually KNEW what AJ's intentions were?

:kukoo:

:santo = http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/79/04/51/11/0079045111613_150X150.jpg

Fixed your post. :cool:

Yes, I know how poor in taste that is.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-28-2006, 11:49 AM
I heard that exchange while I was cleaning my car. Crap.

SOXSINCE'70
05-28-2006, 12:46 PM
That being the case, why isn't Zambozo being fined every game he pitches???!!!

Your guess is as good as mine.

itsnotrequired
05-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Wasn't santo the butt end of a The Simpsons storyline? Seems one of the characters was sitting on the can and needed t paper, there was none, so he/she looked at book on floor and it said : "The ron santo story" which got used as t paper. Am I thinking of the right thing?
Lisa needed to write a book report and the only physical book left in the library was the Ron Santo book (everything else had been made electronic).

She puts it back on the shelf and some homeless guy grabs it and says he can use it as TP.

Hangar18
05-29-2006, 02:52 PM
I was doing some painting and the SOX game had already ended, so I tuned over to WGN to catch the end of that bogus Brave/Flub game. Hughes is annoucing scores and thier in the 9th, when Hughes announced the Brewer score, when oaf Santo chimes in with "you know they are on a really bad streak and have lost a couple of games".
There was some silence when Hughes then said ....
I think thats Houston your talking about .........
there was some more silence when Santo then said ...."Oh yeah ................"

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
But wait! There was more! The bottom of the 9th inning starts, and Hughes announces a new pitcher is now in for the Braves.

Santo: (Very excited) You know, this guy Reitsma hasnt been that good lately, his ERA is very high, and has been really shaky, we can get to him!
Hughes: The pitcher is actually Ray in the game right now for the Braves.
Santo: Ohhhhh............................................ ....

HAHAHAHAAHHAHAHHAAHHAAHAHAHHAAHHAAHH