PDA

View Full Version : AJ on Dan Patrick after commercial break

Jaffar
05-26-2006, 02:14 PM
I guess AJ decided to call into the DP show after all the talk about the suspensions. We'll see what he has to say in a few minutes.

Tekijawa
05-26-2006, 02:18 PM
"Dan love ya, love your show, Can you play some Metallica? Thanks bye!"

skottyj242
05-26-2006, 02:21 PM
I just turned it on the computer, just caught the "Sportscenter."

CHISOXFAN13
05-26-2006, 02:25 PM
A.J. confirms he was fined for "inciting" the crowd.

Wow, just wow.

Layla
05-26-2006, 02:52 PM

Wow, just wow.

Well, he did a lousy job of it. There were no fights in the stand.

Uncle_Patrick
05-26-2006, 02:52 PM
I caught the end of it. Listening to Dan Patrick now, he's siding with AJ. Thinks AJ was trying to move out of the way of Barrett when the "bump" occurred.

itsnotrequired
05-26-2006, 02:58 PM

Wow, just wow.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Pretty easy to categorize as "unsportsman like behavior".

LongLiveFisk
05-26-2006, 03:13 PM

I figured if he got any fines at all, that might be the reason.

jenn2080
05-26-2006, 03:17 PM
This Cubs fan called in right now and was like I was 10 rows ( i think on the 1st base side)from the field and AJ was clearing going at Barrett. Patrick was like well how could you clearly see it when your view would have been blocked. Then he asked if the guy was a Cubs fan....and of course he was!

mcfish
05-26-2006, 03:18 PM
I caught the end of it. Listening to Dan Patrick now, he's siding with AJ. Thinks AJ was trying to move out of the way of Barrett when the "bump" occurred.I don't understand all of the callers trying to make the point that AJ should have left his helmet and let the batboy pick it up. When did it become a crime to pick up after yourself? As if AJ was supposed to know that Barrett was going to sucker punch him for no good reason, and going for his helmet somehow made that punch ok.

jenn2080
05-26-2006, 03:21 PM
I was laughing about that. They are just trying to find a way to blame AJ so that way their precious Barrett still looks like an Angel!

southside rocks
05-26-2006, 03:33 PM
I don't understand all of the callers trying to make the point that AJ should have left his helmet and let the batboy pick it up. When did it become a crime to pick up after yourself? As if AJ was supposed to know that Barrett was going to sucker punch him for no good reason, and going for his helmet somehow made that punch ok.

Well, Jim Hendry explained it all (from the flubbies website):

"In fairness to Michael, you get jolted like that and you get knocked a little silly," Hendry said. "And A.J. did take a few steps toward our side of the field, and I think it's just normal that you would react that there was going to be more action or some kind of second confrontation, and I hope Michael would be given some kind of leniency for that."

Scoring a run = "confrontation" in flubbieland. Maybe that's why they score so few of them.

McCuddy
05-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Inciting the crowd?

Hell, Iguchi sent the place into a frenzy with the grand slam. What's his fine?

HotelWhiteSox
05-26-2006, 04:31 PM
I don't understand all of the callers trying to make the point that AJ should have left his helmet and let the batboy pick it up. When did it become a crime to pick up after yourself? As if AJ was supposed to know that Barrett was going to sucker punch him for no good reason, and going for his helmet somehow made that punch ok.

Both Barrett and Cubs' fans are idiots. Yeah, he's really going after you when you have to grab him with a bear hug to change the direction he's going on, it's all bull**** spin control

DickAllen72
05-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Well, Jim Hendry explained it all (from the flubbies website):

"In fairness to Michael, you get jolted like that and you get knocked a little silly," Hendry said. "And A.J. did take a few steps toward our side of the field, and I think it's just normal that you would react that there was going to be more action or some kind of second confrontation, and I hope Michael would be given some kind of leniency for that."

There's a big problem with Hendry's excuse:

Barrett: "I didn't have the ball, bitch!"

Not to mention, Barrett is the one that grabbed A.J. from the side.

chisoxfan64
05-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Inciting the crowd?

Hell, Iguchi sent the place into a frenzy with the grand slam. What's his fine?

They`re going to make him play at Wrigley for 3 games.

jongarlandlover
05-27-2006, 12:14 AM
I was laughing about that. They are just trying to find a way to blame AJ so that way their precious Barrett still looks like an Angel!

exactly.

there's cubs fans at my school who totally believe that barrett was justified in punching a.j. i got into an argument with a couple of 'em. :tongue:

pearso66
05-27-2006, 10:00 PM
The best argument from "fans" calling into the Dan Patrick show was "AJ should have been fined. I mean the Sox were already killing the Cubs, he didn't need to run into Barrett" There was even one person who said AJ grabbed Barrett. After the 4th time hearing that, I was tryign to call in, and of course it was busy, but he read an email about a minute after I tried calling a few times, and it said the same thing I was going to, the game was 0-0 when AJ ran over Barrett.

jehosaphat
05-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Quite honestly, $2,000 is a drop in the bucket for major league players. Although I'm sure he wouldn't want to lose $2,000 every game, its really small potatos for one game.

AJ made a clean play - actually a great play. He did nothing to provoke the Cubs catcher to hit him - he was clearly sucker punched by a "bad sport/sore loser" who got beat on a play.

However, I suppose AJ didn't need to leave the field the way he did - trying to whip up the home crowd fans. Given some of the ugly things that have happened in pro sports invovling fans and players over the past couple of years, I honestly think sending a token (i.e., $2,000 fine) punnishment was probably the right thing for MLB to do. As I see it, the token fine is intended not such much to punnish AJ as to remind major league players that they need to be thoughtful in interacting with fans, especially when fights break out on the field. There are plenty of kooks out there who don't need much provocation to do something really stupid.

I actually thought the punnishments dished out by MLB were reasonable, although Barrett could have got 12-15 games. I don't know of many other situations where one player sucker punches another player because he was beat on a play. I'm sure he was frustrated with the losing, but he has to act like a grown man and not a child. He's lucky AJ wasn't hurt.

Martinigirl
05-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Quite honestly, $2,000 is a drop in the bucket for major league players. Although I'm sure he wouldn't want to lose $2,000 every game, its really small potatos for one game.

The point isn't the money. Why should he pay anything if he did nothing wrong? I don't care if the fine was $10, he shouldn't have to pay it.

The fine was done to try to placate the other team, not because it was warranted.

And about the Dan Patrick show, I caught it when I was stuck in traffic and I was actually amazed at the amount of support AJ got from around the country. Most of the callers (except for Cub fans, which were called out by DP) said it was a heads up play by AJ and said that they is the way the game is played. For as much of a bad rep as AJ is pegged with, I think there are a growing number of fans, around the country, that are starting to appreciate his passion for the game.

jehosaphat
05-28-2006, 12:03 PM
The point isn't the money. Why should he pay anything if he did nothing wrong? .

If you read my post, I suggest that he may have done something wrong by playing to crowd as he was walking off the field. I don think MLB fined him to placate the other team. I think they fined him because in this day and age of players jumping into the stands, MLB wants to make sure players understand that their responsibilities to the safety of the fans and their fellow players. I think a token fine was probably a reasonable thing for MLB to do.

CHEESESOXER
05-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Well, we can grin while they have to barrett.

jongarlandlover
05-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Well, we can grin while they have to barrett.

:D: haha

Erik The Red
05-28-2006, 03:30 PM
They`re going to make him play at Wrigley for 3 games.:kneeslap: