PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/26/06

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 10:22 AM
On a "slow" sports newsday, the SunTimes' Chris DeLuca is made to do 2 stories on both clubs today. His first piece is how he doesnt think the Cubs will pull an 05 Astros, and the second piece is on the Detroit Tigers. Its masked as a SOX story, but its all Tiger. I dont have a problem with it, most SOX fans already have been aware of the Tigers for the last couple of years, but I sure wouldve loved another story on a SOX minor-leaguer.

The SunTimes today attempts to do a "Story" today on God and how athletes thank him at various times. Of course, the picture they use?
AJ Pierzynski after his HR on Sunday of Carlos Zambozo. Everyone knows what the SunTimes is doing. The thinly-veiled attempt at a "timely" article is really a Blatant attempt at Mocking AJ and trying to make him look as if he Instigated Zambozos childish meltdown last Sunday. Zambozo didnt even see the motion made by AJ, so to include that in the story was total BS. Zambozo in replays is already losing his cool when he sees AJ and Joey Cora high-Five each other at 3rd base. (I watched ESPN last nite, of all the HR's hit yesterday, EVERY PLAYER high-fived either the 1B Coach or the 3B Coach. Most Hi-Fived BOTH COACHES!!!! Zambozo wouldve been LIVID if he'd seen that!!!!!) Somehow, Cora got suspended for his act, and then Standing up for himself (where have we heard that before?) when Zambozo began barking obscenities at him in Spanish, and Cora wont take that from Zambozo, who may I remind you, is twice his size. Ridiculous.

Best story today? Ironically is in the Tribune today. Ryan Baker, a sports anchor on NBC-5 has been suspended from doing Chicago Sky games, because he was wearing a Sky Hat and Tshirt while doing a broadcast. NBC has apparently taken a stand at journalists appearing biased towards the teams they are covering (hear that Kiley, Sullivan, Murphy, Telander, Mitchell, Sleazak, Morrissey?) Im reading the NBC-5 Press Release and im LAUGHING my butt off. Apparently, the Journalists Code of Ethics seems important to Chicago, a big news town
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0605260252may26,1,4819479.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

All the articles in todays papers deal with whats wrong with the Cubs, who can they trade, when will they trade, should they start over, a Giant Story (complete with picture of McPhail/Baker from spring training) about Andy McPhail and what he thinks of the Cub season so far (2nd exact story/picture like this in almost a week), Cub TV Ratings dipping dramatically, AJ is a jackass, The Detroit Tigers are really good, and how the Trib should sell the Cubs and they will be good then.

Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, being only the 5th team in history to lead from wire-to-wire, and being in a virtual tie for the best record in baseball NOW, the White SOX find themselves lagging Far Far Behind in Media Coverage to a team that, has only THREE 90-win seasons since 1950, finished in 4th Place last year, is currently in 5th Place this year,
and hasnt won anything of significance since the days of Roosevelt, Polio,
air travel being unheard of
Chicago Tribune:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories
Standings as of Friday May 26, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th Place in 05 Cubs 481
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 05 SOX 402

SOecks
05-26-2006, 11:12 AM
I did like the Widger piece by Rosenbloom on the back page though. Very well done. See, it's not so hard to do a positive and intriguing article on a Sox player.

palehozenychicty
05-26-2006, 11:14 AM
I did like the Widger piece by Rosenbloom on the back page though. Very well done. See, it's not so hard to do a positive and intriguing article on a Sox player.

Well, it is Friday, and the managing editor probably forgot to leave his piece on the culinary acumen of Henry Blanco, so this had to go in.

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Theres an interesting piece today by Phil Rogers. His article openly asks how the SOX are able to win and the Cubs able to continually lose.

" As Memorial Day approached one year ago, the cubs and white sox were on relatively even footing. ...The Sox were off to a fast start, while the Cubs were already giving up ground to the St. Louis Cardinals".

Rogers forgets to mention that maybe the SOX WERENT on relatively even footing. The Chicago Media ignored the SOX fast start, only mentioning the SOX by saying they were playing easy teams, and lets see what happens when they play the AL EAST. The Cubs were running so far away with Media Coverage last season at this point, I was fed up and barely read the papers for a while until July. At this time last year, the Cub articles dominated, Whats wrong again, When is Wood coming back, Will Prior be healthy all year, Derrek Lee is the Best player we've ever seen in the history of modern sport, The SOX arent that great, History will show the SOX to fade and the Cubs dominated the SOX in coverage.

After one month in 05 the SOX dominated the AL and were roundly ignored by the Media.

After one month in 06 for the Cubs, Maddux was being hailed the 06 Cy Young winner, the Media was bombastically thrilled and making playoff predictions, Derrek Lee was being hailed as the Greatest Baseball Player in the history of Sport, Maddux' 5-0 start was rewarded with an entire Full-Color, Full-Page picture with the Caption ......FIVE AND OHHHHHHHHHHH!
Heck, the Chicago Media did something UNPRECEDENTED! The Media (Dave Van Dyke) was so HogWild back on April 11th .............
HE did a Mid-Season Report Card on the Cubs ...................
IN APRIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on the 11th!!!!!!!!!
Five Games into the season !!!

The all-star break (when these mid-season reports usually come out) was too far off, the glory that is Cub needed to be reported immediately. Five games into the season. Here are some nuggets from the Hog-Wild Media over a month ago

Mike Downey on 4/11/06, 5 games into the season, says Juan Pierre and Derrek Lee are valuable and this season is shaping up into "something special".
Mike Downey on 4/11/06 also says that the bullpen is different and things are special this year

Rob190
05-26-2006, 12:29 PM
So, you are pretty much saying nothing has changed.

maurice
05-26-2006, 01:56 PM
McGrath hand-picked pro-Cub fluff expert Fred Mitchell to interview MacPhail. To the surprise of no one, Mitchell obligingly provides the most softball question possible on the controversial "house organ" topic:
Q: For those who are not familiar with the line of demarcation between the Tribune newspaper and the Cubs organization, perhaps you could clarify?
LMAO. The queston comically assumes that there is a significant "line of demarcation" and asks MacPhail to "clarify," which is just about the most open-ended "question" possible. Notably Mitchell fails to ask the extremly relevant and focused questions that are on everybody's lips:
- How did you manage to set up an unprecedented meeting to dress down McGrath and Sullivan?
- What did you say to them, and what did they say to you?
- Why do you, Hendry, and other Cub execs feel that the Trib is the Cubs' "house organ" and berate them accordingly on a repeated basis?
- Why do you feel that the Sun-Times is "out-Tribbing the Trib"?
- Has that changed since you gave McGrath and Sullivan their dressing down?
- To the extent that you contest Sullivan's descriptions, why do you think he would lie about you in interviews?
- To what extent do you think it's okay for the Trib to criticize its sister entities like the Cubs?

Unfortunately, we get answers to none of these questions. As everybody knows, open-ended softball questions are designed to solicit BS spin-filled answers, and MacPhail did not disappoint:
A: Certainly, we have no influence with the Chicago Tribune. I think we showed that to everyone's satisfaction.
I never used to think that MacPhail was stupid, but if he really thinks that he "showed that to everyone's satisfaction," he's dumber than a box of rocks. He goes on to say that the "Tribune" owns the Cubs, but whoever edited the interview inserted the abbreviation "Co." to correct him. The rest of his answer ignores the question and focuses on the Cubs payroll.

Dear Trib apologists, if the Trib isn't the Cubs' "house organ," why did MacPhail give this comprehensive interview to the Trib but not to the Sun-Times, the Score, etc.? Why did Mitchell lob only a single, softball question on the "house organ" issue and ignore the relevant questions? Never mind...we already know the answers.

SOXPHILE
05-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Coming soon in the next Freddy Mitchell article:

Sights seen !: Todd Walker & Matt Murton were seen dining at Gibson's, friday night after the Cubs game. Saturday night, Sean Marshall and Michael Barrett- (his wallet a little lighter after being fined by MLB)- were seen having drinks with their entourage at Jilly's, and were then spotted later, cutting the rug at The Hangge Uppe.

-Hard hitting, no nonsense reporting.

ilsox7
05-26-2006, 03:48 PM
I never used to think that MacPhail was stupid, but if he really thinks that he "showed that to everyone's satisfaction," he's dumber than a box of rocks.

He knows who signs his paycheck.

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Coming soon in the next Freddy Mitchell article:

Sights seen !: Todd Walker & Matt Murton were seen dining at Gibson's, friday night after the Cubs game. Saturday night, Sean Marshall and Michael Barrett- (his wallet a little lighter after being fined by MLB)- were seen having drinks with their entourage at Jilly's, and were then spotted later, cutting the rug at The Hangge Uppe.

-Hard hitting, no nonsense reporting.

I have a couple of friends who work security for concerts and live music shows throughout the city. He knows Im a big SOX/Baseball fan, and a couple years ago, he tells me "hey man, I met a couple of your guys at the (insert band name here) show" I was like OH Yeah? who was it? "I cant remember, they were cool, had lots of chicks with them, they were drinking having a good time, one guys name was Wood, the other two I dont remember, one guy was hurt though, I remember he said that" Was his name Prior? " I dont know, he was just hanging out, lot of mixed drinks, dark hair ....Mark was his name?" YEAH, that had to be him I told him.

The next few times, he would tell me he saw some of my "boys" and Id tell him no, those are cub guys your talking about. After a while He told me about meeting a couple of SOX players and knew it because others would say HEY those are SOX players. I asked him it sounded like the Cubs like to party and go to concerts all the time. HE said YES, they were ALWAYS calling to get themselves on the guestlists to get in shows, and that there were always a number of them together. He said theres always one guy, some Rush guy (glendon) always with Wood, drinking enjoying the nightlife.

He said the cub players call them 10 times as much as SOX players do to get comped, and hang out and showboat and do the nitelife thing pretty interesting

SOXPHILE
05-26-2006, 04:53 PM
I have a couple of friends who work security for concerts and live music shows throughout the city. He knows Im a big SOX/Baseball fan, and a couple years ago, he tells me "hey man, I met a couple of your guys at the (insert band name here) show" I was like OH Yeah? who was it? "I cant remember, they were cool, had lots of chicks with them, they were drinking having a good time, one guys name was Wood, the other two I dont remember, one guy was hurt though, I remember he said that" Was his name Prior? " I dont know, he was just hanging out, lot of mixed drinks, dark hair ....Mark was his name?" YEAH, that had to be him I told him.

The next few times, he would tell me he saw some of my "boys" and Id tell him no, those are cub guys your talking about. After a while He told me about meeting a couple of SOX players and knew it because others would say HEY those are SOX players. I asked him it sounded like the Cubs like to party and go to concerts all the time. HE said YES, they were ALWAYS calling to get themselves on the guestlists to get in shows, and that there were always a number of them together. He said theres always one guy, some Rush guy (glendon) always with Wood, drinking enjoying the nightlife.

He said the cub players call them 10 times as much as SOX players do to get comped, and hang out and showboat and do the nitelife thing pretty interesting

That's because everybody loves them ! This is a Cubs town you know !
Frankly, it doesn't bother me that these guys go out on the town. Lots of us do it. As long as it doesn't effect their game the next day. They're young, millionare, pro-athletes. What I don't like is when anyone says "Hi, I'm so an so from this pro team. Can me and my 45 member entourage/"posse" get in your club for free ?" It doesn't surprise me at all that those assclowns think they're so privelaged because they play for the Cubs, that they do that so much.

maurice
05-26-2006, 05:07 PM
The top 2 headlines on the main news page at chicagotribune.com right now:
#1 - "Cubs player appeals punch penalty"
#2 - Mitchell's fluff interview with MacPhail

The #4 story is an article on Dusty Baker, written by the Sox beat writer.
:rolleyes:

maurice
05-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Though the Trib's Cub beat writer offered up the Cubs' spin on the suspensions more than 7 hours ago, there is still nothing posted from the Sox beat writer about the Sox reaction to the discipline directed at Anderson, Cora, and AJ. Either Gonzalez was too busy writing about the Cubs to do his actual job or the Trib remembered that they're the Cubs' "house organ" and only post quotes from their co-workers on the North Side.
:rolleyes:

Fortunately, other folks who cover the Sox did their job and reported in a timely manner that Anderson is appealing his suspension and playing tonight.

miker
05-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Frankly, it doesn't bother me that these guys go out on the town. Lots of us do it. As long as it doesn't effect their game the next day. They're young, millionare, pro-athletes. What I don't like is when anyone says "Hi, I'm so an so from this pro team. Can me and my 45 member entourage/"posse" get in your club for free ?" It doesn't surprise me at all that those assclowns think they're so privelaged because they play for the Cubs, that they do that so much.
Maybe the White Sox players are too busy trying to WIN!

RadioheadRocks
05-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Here'a a link to the LeDuca story that hints at the sCrUBS fancying themselves as "this year's 2005 Astros": http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-deluca26.html

Not only do they have anger management issues, they're delusional as well! :D: :roflmao: :rolling:

cbotnyse
05-26-2006, 09:40 PM
On a "slow" sports newsday, the SunTimes' Chris DeLuca is made to do 2 stories on both clubs today. His first piece is how he doesnt think the Cubs will pull an 05 Astros, and the second piece is on the Detroit Tigers. Its masked as a SOX story, but its all Tiger. I dont have a problem with it, most SOX fans already have been aware of the Tigers for the last couple of years, but I sure wouldve loved another story on a SOX minor-leaguer.

The SunTimes today attempts to do a "Story" today on God and how athletes thank him at various times. Of course, the picture they use?
AJ Pierzynski after his HR on Sunday of Carlos Zambozo. Everyone knows what the SunTimes is doing. The thinly-veiled attempt at a "timely" article is really a Blatant attempt at Mocking AJ and trying to make him look as if he Instigated Zambozos childish meltdown last Sunday. Zambozo didnt even see the motion made by AJ, so to include that in the story was total BS. Zambozo in replays is already losing his cool when he sees AJ and Joey Cora high-Five each other at 3rd base. (I watched ESPN last nite, of all the HR's hit yesterday, EVERY PLAYER high-fived either the 1B Coach or the 3B Coach. Most Hi-Fived BOTH COACHES!!!! Zambozo wouldve been LIVID if he'd seen that!!!!!) Somehow, Cora got suspended for his act, and then Standing up for himself (where have we heard that before?) when Zambozo began barking obscenities at him in Spanish, and Cora wont take that from Zambozo, who may I remind you, is twice his size. Ridiculous.

Best story today? Ironically is in the Tribune today. Ryan Baker, a sports anchor on NBC-5 has been suspended from doing Chicago Sky games, because he was wearing a Sky Hat and Tshirt while doing a broadcast. NBC has apparently taken a stand at journalists appearing biased towards the teams they are covering (hear that Kiley, Sullivan, Murphy, Telander, Mitchell, Sleazak, Morrissey?) Im reading the NBC-5 Press Release and im LAUGHING my butt off. Apparently, the Journalists Code of Ethics seems important to Chicago, a big news town
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0605260252may26,1,4819479.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

All the articles in todays papers deal with whats wrong with the Cubs, who can they trade, when will they trade, should they start over, a Giant Story (complete with picture of McPhail/Baker from spring training) about Andy McPhail and what he thinks of the Cub season so far (2nd exact story/picture like this in almost a week), Cub TV Ratings dipping dramatically, AJ is a jackass, The Detroit Tigers are really good, and how the Trib should sell the Cubs and they will be good then.

Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, being only the 5th team in history to lead from wire-to-wire, and being in a virtual tie for the best record in baseball NOW, the White SOX find themselves lagging Far Far Behind in Media Coverage to a team that, has only THREE 90-win seasons since 1950, finished in 4th Place last year, is currently in 5th Place this year,
and hasnt won anything of significance since the days of Roosevelt, Polio,
air travel being unheard of
Chicago Tribune:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories
Standings as of Friday May 26, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th Place in 05 Cubs 481
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 05 SOX 402

Hanger, I am rather new here and I have to tell you that your media watch is rediculously entertaining!!! :D:

thanks for sharing your wisdom...keep em coming