PDA

View Full Version : Rick Telander Agrees -- Trib, Sell the Cubs

tebman
05-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Haven't found this anywhere on the board yet. Rick Telander in today's Sun-Times writes why the Tribune should sell the Cubs. Not surprisingly, it reads very much like any of a hundred different WSI posts on the same subject. :cool:

Read and nod approvingly. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/telander/cst-spt-rick26.html) :yup:

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Telander is actually in Las Vegas right now, just waking up groggy and hung over. THis is NOT an original article, and was already touched on by that assclown Morrissey. Can the Chicago Media TRY to not be LAZY and touch on a subject thats poignant and timely? NO.

Subject Ideas for Telander since hes got writers block.
1. Trixie McWrigley. Find out who she really is, and why she was let go
2. Michael Barrett. Is he the new Bill Laimbeer of baseball? 3 incidents so far say YES HE IS.
3. Rising fan mayhem at Wrigley the last 20 years

I Read and shook my head disgustedly.

PatK
05-26-2006, 10:24 AM
2. Michael Barrett. Is he the new Bill Laimbeer of baseball? 3 incidents so far

Laimbeer actually won something.

Fenway
05-26-2006, 10:56 AM
As someone who has bounced in and out of Chicago for the last 25 years I must say the Friday papers are vicious towards the Flubs ( yes even the Tribune )

The diehard Cubs fans are fed up FINALLY. The tourist crowd won't care and still pack the dump but the city Cubs fans just can't take it anymore. Let's be real here they lost THREE straight to the MARLINS.

Uncle_Patrick
05-26-2006, 11:16 AM
As someone who has bounced in and out of Chicago for the last 25 years I must say the Friday papers are vicious towards the Flubs ( yes even the Tribune )

The diehard Cubs fans are fed up FINALLY. The tourist crowd won't care and still pack the dump but the city Cubs fans just can't take it anymore. Let's be real here they lost THREE straight to the MARLINS.

Things have changed since 2003. The team got too close. It was the worst thing to happen for the Trib. They had the National League Championship and it slipped through their fingers. Since then, Cubs fans are no longer satisfied with being Loveable Losers. They are no longer satisfied with the "Its the Cubs, what did you expect?" answer.

Of course, an over-hyped 2004 and the White Sox 2005 World Series victory haven't helped at all.

Iwritecode
05-26-2006, 11:21 AM

They've been fed up since 2004. It's just been really difficult to tell because of the tourists filling the park and the Cubune continuing to put a positive spin on everything.

Don't be fooled by it. The true Cubs fans are sick and tired of it and have been for years.

champagne030
05-26-2006, 11:22 AM

I only read one Cubune article today and it was a fluff piece with McFail.

"Q: For those who are not familiar with the line of demarcation between the Tribune newspaper and the Cubs organization, perhaps you could clarify?

A: Certainly, we have no influence with the Chicago Tribune. I think we showed that to everyone's satisfaction...."

:whatever:

I think it was clearly shown last week that you do have influence when you summoned the beat writer and his boss into your office.

"Q: What overall message of encouragement can you give to long-suffering Cubs fans?

A: I certainly sense their frustration. And it is frustration that is evidenced through the action of our players. We need to start to do everything we can to turn the record around the way that Houston did--not only last season but the last two seasons....."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-0605260233may26,1,1367054.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Hmmm. Ratings down, attendance down, sheep getting restless. Cubune response is stay with us sheep. We're going to do exactly what the Astros did the last two seasons......And keep the faith that since the Red Sox and White Sox won that it's our turn.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread......

Fenway
05-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Things have changed since 2003. The team got too close. It was the worst thing to happen for the Trib. They had the National League Championship and it slipped through their fingers. Since then, Cubs fans are no longer satisfied with being Loveable Losers. They are no longer satisfied with the "Its the Cubs, what did you expect?" answer.

Of course, an over-hyped 2004 and the White Sox 2005 World Series victory haven't helped at all.

Look what has happened since October of 2003. Boston rebounds from Gradygate and wins the next year, meanwhile Cubs implode at Shea Stadium and blow the wild card. Then 05 happens and the White Sox win it all. Now the pressure in on the Cubs to make a big statement in 06. Ya well......
(and now Barrett gone for 10 games making the offense that much worse)

It was easy to be a Cubs fan untill 2 years ago since they had Boston and the White Sox as cousins for fultilty. Now they stand all alone and the fans don't like the kool-aid anymore.

The Red Sox needed new ownership to win and that is what the Cubs need badly. They need an owner that cries after a bad loss, not an owner that sells more papers when things are bad.

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Memo to Mr. Telander:

WAKE ME WHEN YOU HAVE SOMETHING ORIGINAL TO SAY

Layla
05-26-2006, 11:30 AM

I agree 100%. 2003 should have been their year. It can argued till the end of time what happened (and I don't mean Steve Bartman). They figured they didn't need to do anything for 2004. But last year, I firmly believe, was the end all for Cub fans.

The White Sox were never suppose to win it. They thought because we didn't have a name (like Sosa) or the two wonder kids (Wood and Prior) we couldn't do it. But we proved them wrong. And I'm sure the most die hard Cub fan had to stop and think why? Was it because there were no egos?
All you had were 25 guys who played hard every day and supported each other.

They never had that at Wrigley.

PatK
05-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Sorry, but for the most part, Cubs fans are too stupid to be fed up because they'll still keep going.

They are like domestic abuse vicitms that keep going back to their abuser, only I don't feel sorry for them.

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Sorry, but for the most part, Cubs fans are too stupid to be fed up because they'll still keep going.

They are like domestic abuse vicitms that keep going back to their abuser, only I don't feel sorry for them.

I dont feel sorry for the blue sheep either. Some of them really do have fun at Wrigley and get drunk, and dont care too much if their team stinks. Thats Fine. Enjoy yourself then. but the others who think its cool now to be mad that theyre losing on a regular basis? HELLO, where have you been the last 98 years? hahahahaha.

palehozenychicty
05-26-2006, 11:38 AM
that is what the Cubs need badly. They need an owner that cries after a bad loss, not an owner that sells more papers when things are bad.

:dollarbill:

Fenway
05-26-2006, 11:38 AM

There are 2 kinds of fans that go to Wrigley.

The ones that go for the park, the atmosphere, the beer, the girls. Winning or Losing doesn't matter.

But there are hardcores that love baseball and that is their team for better or for worse. Those are the fans that are angry and now booing. I can't see how Dusty can last another month.....

Uncle_Patrick
05-26-2006, 11:42 AM
The Red Sox needed new ownership to win and that is what the Cubs need badly. They need an owner that cries after a bad loss, not an owner that sells more papers when things are bad.

Ownership is just the start. Some Cubs fans think if someone like Mark Cuban comes in and buys the Cubs, everything will be better. The whole franchise needs an overhaul, from the top down.

Rob190
05-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Ownership is just the start. Some Cubs fans think if someone like Mark Cuban comes in and buys the Cubs, everything will be better. The whole franchise needs an overhaul, from the top down.

I agree with you right there. From the top down, that organization is a complete mess. The batting and pitching coaches also need to be replaced.

Some fans also think that Pie will come up and save the day, but I have a feeling he will be Pattersonized and ran out of town.

Boy, I am glad I am a Sox fan.:smile:

chaerulez
05-26-2006, 11:51 AM
I like how people here are crying about this article, when if Telander were to write the opposite (as in the Tribune should keep the Cubs), everyone would be flipping out more.

chuckn98229
05-26-2006, 11:53 AM
If you feed people manure and they eat it up and keep coming back for more, where is the incentive to change the menu and start feeding them steak? From a business point of view, there is none.

Fenway
05-26-2006, 11:54 AM

That is exactly what John Heney, Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino have done. Most of the Yawkey/Harrington people were let go. Bringing in Bill James was huge. Yes they were laughed at during Theogate but guess what, today they have the 5th best record in MLB and are in first place and Coco is almost ready to come back.

The Cubs right now don't have a clue.

palehozenychicty
05-26-2006, 12:10 PM
That is exactly what John Heney, Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino have done. Most of the Yawkey/Harrington people were let go. Bringing in Bill James was huge. Yes they were laughed at during Theogate but guess what, today they have the 5th best record in MLB and are in first place and Coco is almost ready to come back.

The Cubs for ninety-eight years since "tinkers to evers to chance" have no clue.

Did a little editing for you. The Red Sox do look like a healthier, more pragmatic franchise. After Schilling/Beckett, their rotation is shaky at best. Clement/Wells/DiNardo/Wakefield does not worry me.

1951Campbell
05-26-2006, 12:15 PM
"Q: For those who are not familiar with the line of demarcation between the Tribune newspaper and the Cubs organization, perhaps you could clarify?

A: Certainly, we have no influence with the Chicago Tribune. I think we showed that to everyone's satisfaction...."

:rolling:

Uncle_Patrick
05-26-2006, 12:16 PM
The Cubs right now don't have a clue.

Of course they don't. If you are the Tribune corporation, do you care if the ball park is filled with tourists instead of real baseball fans? Nope. If I'm the Tribune corp., I doubt I'd be in a huge rush to change anything either.

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 12:17 PM
There are 2 kinds of fans that go to Wrigley.

The ones that go for the park, the atmosphere, the beer, the girls. Winning or Losing doesn't matter.

But there are hardcores that love baseball and that is their team for better or for worse......

Actually 3 Kinds.

1. Fans that go to the park because of the atmosphere, the beer, the girls.
They are a huge and major component. That beer better stay cold, and matter of fact, add more seats in the Bleachers, because those are the preferred seats of young drunks like them. They love to have fun and will pay you twice to sit in those glorious seats.
2. Tourists. Very important. They come by the busload from far away towns with names like Waterloo, DuBuque, ThreeRivers, Sheeps Tail, Walla Walla only because the TV tells them how glorious and exciting the park is and its heaven and you should visit soon.
3. Hardcores. They only account for about 5% of the fanbase in the park

Fenway
05-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Did a little editing for you. The Red Sox do look like a healthier, more pragmatic franchise. After Schilling/Beckett, their rotation is shaky at best. Clement/Wells/DiNardo/Wakefield does not worry me.

Trading Bronson may not have been wise. But Fatso pitches tonight,

(seriously the Rays might be a good wager Friday )

palehozenychicty
05-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Trading Bronson may not have been wise. But Fatso pitches tonight,

(seriously the Rays might be a good wager Friday )

It wasn't, but I think that he's a better fit for the NL anyway. He seems to have taken to Cincy really well.

cheeses_h_rice
05-26-2006, 12:29 PM
I seriously think we've reached the tipping point in Tribco's ownership of the Flubs, and they will be selling the team at some point in the next year or two.

I can't remember a time when the Cubune was getting slammed from so many sides at once -- including its own premier baseball writer Phil Rogers -- and when Flub fans actually demanded an improvement on the field.

Ultimately, I think it was the Sox winning it all in 2005 that sealed the deal, coupled with the atrocious on-field performance this year by the Flubs. Prior to the Sox winning the World Series, it was always just a matter of how bad, comparatively, the Flubs were to the Sox, and Flub fans being smug in their perennial Attendance Trophy streak. We've seen the articles talking about TV ratings growing for the Sox and shrinking for the Flubs. We've seen the multitude sellouts at the Cell, including a 6-game homestand just past.

The tide has shifted, folks. Chicago is going to be a Sox town at some point.

:gulp:

Hangar18
05-26-2006, 12:37 PM
I agree with you right there. From the top down, that organization is a complete mess.

............and has been since 1908. Nothing is going to change unless the team MOVES AWAY, and another team/organization comes here. If your still defiant and remain a cub fan after all that time, knowing theres the other team 8miles South, then no wonder theyre known as the
Dumbest Fans in Baseball.
Down is Up. Losing is Cool. Paying twice for seats is great.

tebman
05-26-2006, 12:42 PM
I seriously think we've reached the tipping point in Tribco's ownership of the Flubs, and they will be selling the team at some point in the next year or two.

I can't remember a time when the Cubune was getting slammed from so many sides at once -- including its own premier baseball writer Phil Rogers -- and when Flub fans actually demanded an improvement on the field.

Ultimately, I think it was the Sox winning it all in 2005 that sealed the deal, coupled with the atrocious on-field performance this year by the Flubs. Prior to the Sox winning the World Series, it was always just a matter of how bad, comparatively, the Flubs were to the Sox, and Flub fans being smug in their perennial Attendance Trophy streak. We've seen the articles talking about TV ratings growing for the Sox and shrinking for the Flubs. We've seen the multitude sellouts at the Cell, including a 6-game homestand just past.

The tide has shifted, folks. Chicago is going to be a Sox town at some point.

:gulp:
I agree. But I wouldn't place any bets yet on how soon that's going to happen. Fitzsimons and his bowtie-wearing lieutenants up in the Tower are influenced by stockholder pressure and corporate pride. The stockholders have been grumbling for some time about the value of holding on to something that's not a "core asset." The company is still trying to dodge a billion (with a B) dollar upaid tax liability, and the advertising market is down. From what I've read, the Cubs could sell for as much as $400 million -- and the Tribune needs the money.

But corporate pride has a powerful grip on these folks. Some might call it steady leadership, others would call it plain stubbornness. Maybe it's those paintings of Colonel McCormick striking a Napoleonic pose that inspires the "never give up!" attitude in the Tribune's board room. But enough successive quarters of a falling stock price might break through their hard heads.

I once read a quote from an editor of Mad magazine in which he said that he saw their role as poking holes in stuffed shirts so that the sawdust could spill out. The Tribune's stockholders might be doing that for us as we watch. :cool:

Fenway
05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
The Trib's TV division is in shambles. The Boston Tribune station has been sinking for years ever since the WB was forced on them and now they stuck with the merged network. So in turn nobody watches the 10 PM news. Same happened in NY and Philly.

http://wb56.com

1951Campbell
05-26-2006, 01:09 PM

Speaking of fed up Cub fans, is that "protest" against the Tribune Co. still slated to take place tomorrow at Wrigley?