PDA

View Full Version : Cool story bout Coop

Chisox003
05-26-2006, 03:56 AM
Well I can't sleep, so I decided I'd share this story with yall because I think its pretty awesome.

As I've said many a time here before, I work at Sox games (vending), and with that I get some "privelages" (I guess) that pretty much no other fan gets. Usually, me and my friend who also works there get to the games 4 or 5 hours early, so for a 7 o'clock game we're usually there around 3.

Anyway, while we're there, we usually go chill in the seats while the stadium is COMPLETELY empty, aside from the grounds crew working on the field (I know, sweet). So we sit there for a while before every game, watch the Sox stretch, play catch, take BP, and so on. (We usually sit in the 1st row right down the 3rd base line near the Sox dugout, so basically right on the field).

Well the other day, Coop came out early as hell while we were sitting there and he was with a little kid, maybe about 10 or 11 years old. Man Soo and the kid started playing catch in LF while Coop observed, watched the kid throw for a few minutes, then started making some suggestions. Man Soo kept backing up, backing up, and at first the kid would 1 or 2 hop every throw in. But after every couple tosses, Coop would break in, show him something new, and BOOM this kid was throwing like he was about 15 or 16.

I turned to my buddy next to me and Im like 'Watch this...Cooper is working miracles with this kid right in front of us.' So after about 10 minutes of throwing in the OF (long toss!), they take this little guy into the bullpen, and I **** you not, he was throwing strikes from 60 feet like it was nothing...and with some pop.

Coop continued to make suggestions, go through some motions, and each throw the kid got better and better. As we're watching this, my friend goes "This kid's gonna be throwing from 48 feet tomorrow in his little league game and be unhittable."

Anyway, they went at it for a good half hour, and from start to finish, this kid's improvement was ridiculous. He *might* (don't quote me here) have been one of the grounds keepers sons, Im not sure. It was just neat to watch Coop work with this kid, and I felt it'd be something you guys as baseball fans would appreciate like myself.

Peace :gulp:

soxinthecity
05-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Cool feel good story and glad there are child labor laws as news like this gets out and the north siders are on this kid like white on rice, like cold on ice, like come on Eileen.

tebman
05-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Great story! The Sox really are lucky to have Cooper in that position. If he can get a 10 year-old kid to go from 1-hop throws to throwing strikes off an MLB mound within an hour, it's easy to see how he got Contreras and Garland turned around. :thumbsup:

salty99
05-26-2006, 11:04 AM
So how do I get to be your friend and get to watch the Sox at 3PM before the game..LOL :bandance:

SOXPHILE
05-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Cool story. Any truth to the rumor that there were Cubs pitching scouts at the park, checking the kid out ? You know, just in case another pitcher goes down...

chi_guy
05-26-2006, 12:35 PM
My son went to the Hickey-Cooper pitching camp over the winter. Great camp. Hickey and Cooper were both great at teaching. So far my son has only 2 hits and 1 run against him in 10 inning pitched.

jenn2080
05-26-2006, 12:52 PM
That is neat!

Vernam
05-26-2006, 01:31 PM
http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/images/content/cubs/hendry22.jpg
Great story. Do you have the kid's phone number?

Vernam