PDA

View Full Version : Baaad Bobby or Papplebaum?

hawkjt
05-26-2006, 02:09 AM
They both are in their second years at closing. Saw papplebaum on espn tonite and he looks good but I think bobby throws harder and has a better breaking ball.

They both look good right now.

IlliniSox4Life
05-26-2006, 02:17 AM
I don't really think you can go wrong with either, but I have to chose Bobby because:
1) He closed a World Series - proven in the playoffs.
2) He's our guy
3) When his stuff is working, he's not just good, the bat can't even touch the ball.

Banix12
05-26-2006, 02:24 AM
It's kind of tough to compare them because Papelbon isn't going to be the closer forever. He's going to be a starter eventually. Bobby on the other hand is in the position he is going to be in for the rest of his career.

If you are asking honestly which one I would want right now on my team I frankly might have to go with Papelbon because I value starters over closers.

If you are asking who i would want to close games I think I probably go Jenks.

gf2020
05-26-2006, 02:58 AM
It's kind of tough to compare them because Papelbon isn't going to be the closer forever. He's going to be a starter eventually.

Boston is still thinking about moving him? After all the problems they've had with closers over the years, you think it wouldn't be worth the risk to convert Papelbon back to a starter.

Banix12
05-26-2006, 03:27 AM
Boston is still thinking about moving him? After all the problems they've had with closers over the years, you think it wouldn't be worth the risk to convert Papelbon back to a starter.

What is the risk in converting him back? With his talent there is a much higher upside in having him start. A great starter is far more valuable than a great closer. You can find closers just about anywhere, look how the white sox got Jenks.

Eventually the older pitching in the red sox rotation is going to break down, in fact Wells already is. At some time they'll move Papelbon into the rotation and find some other guy to close.

Optipessimism
05-26-2006, 03:37 AM
Eventually the older pitching in the red sox rotation is going to break down, in fact Wells already is. At some time they'll move Papelbon into the rotation and find some other guy to close.

Jenks, Cotts, Thornton, and McCarthy were all starters, and of the group only McCarthy looks destined to start again one day. When a guy does an exceptional job in one role, why move him out?

Also, we are talking about the Red Sox not the Pirates. The Red Sox, IMO, will look to acquire a starter before they mess with what is working now.

Banix12
05-26-2006, 05:14 AM
Jenks, Cotts, Thornton, and McCarthy were all starters, and of the group only McCarthy looks destined to start again one day. When a guy does an exceptional job in one role, why move him out?

Also, we are talking about the Red Sox not the Pirates. The Red Sox, IMO, will look to acquire a starter before they mess with what is working now.

There is a difference. Jenks and Thornton are failed starters, and to a degree you might call Cotts one though I don't think I would go that far. But largely those three guys belong in the bullpen because sticking them in a rotation probably won't win a team many games.

Papelbon, like McCarthy, did very well as a starter. Like McCarthy he should return to the rotation because truly effective starters are often rare these days. And I don't think they miss him too much as a closer since effective closers pop out of thin air every spring.

And the Red Sox have converted closers to starters before. Derek Lowe saved something like 45 games one year.

For this season they will try to trade for starters to bolster the rotation because midseason isn't always the best time to find great closers and Papelbon isn't stretched out to start but I think a year or two down the line Papelbon ends up back in the rotation.

Also, with the market so out of control for even mediocre starting pitchers, it could be a better idea as far as value to move Papelbon to the rotation and pick up a closer, which are usually cheaper and tend to be easier to find since most closers are just failed starters with above average stuff.

palehozenychicty
05-26-2006, 09:40 AM

they have a prospect by the name of craig hansen who was a fireball closer at st. john's slated to be their future closer. he came up briefly last fall and will probably move up to the bigs permanently by 2007.