PDA

View Full Version : Sox TV Ratings Going Up

Lip Man 1
05-26-2006, 12:02 AM
From tonight's Tribune column:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060526cubssoxratings,1,2368876.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

FielderJones
05-26-2006, 12:07 AM
So, you're saying that the Sox TV audience is GROWING while the Cubs TV audience is SHRINKING? :wink:

markopat
05-26-2006, 12:11 AM
AND we are selling out games at home???

Wow...could the attendance trophy be in jeopardy on the North Side?

HA

Chips
05-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Are the radio rating up as well, or our the new found TV viewers former radio people?

MrRoboto83
05-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Are the radio rating up as well, or our the new found TV viewers former radio people?

good point!! it would not surprise me.

IlliniSox4Life
05-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Good point, but I doubt it. It is my experience that if you prefered Rooney/Farmer but have access to a TV, you would still have the TV on, just muted and the radio turned up. If the radio ratings are down, it's probably just people turning off the radio and un-muting the TV, which wouldn't really make the TV ratings go up. I'm sure there are people out there who listen to the radio without the TV picture when they have access to it, but I doubt it's a significant number.

Trav
05-26-2006, 01:50 AM
What is with the Cubune and truth today? This piece and the one about how awfull and baseball ignorant the cubs front office has been is the frist time I am hearing this come from the Tribune Co.

BringBackBlkJack
05-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Of course the last three games were higher, it was Big Frank's return to Chicago. However, I think the tide is starting to turn in favor of the good guys. Combine the World Series title and the position to repeat and the fact that the Sox do a much better job of marketing to families (I.E. kids who will be individual consumers in the decades to come) and I think that just might be the formula for a transition to a Sox-first Chicago. Sure, that might be a stretch but it's possible.

soxruleEP
05-26-2006, 07:51 AM
What is with the Cubune and truth today? This piece and the one about how awfull and baseball ignorant the cubs front office has been is the frist time I am hearing this come from the Tribune Co.

They are probably trying to regain their gonads after last week's revelations of tissue-thin walll between corporate entities in the Cubune Company.

Hitmen77
05-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Wow, i'm surprised that the Cubs ratings have been cut in half in two years. Also, the article doesn't come out and say it, but this year the Sox have just about pulled even with the Cubs on WGN/WCIU (4.9 for the flubs and 4.6 for the Sox). Not bad considering the Cubs have a larger, entrenched fan base.

TV ratings may be a better barometer of the number of people following the Cubs than ballpark attendance. At Wrigley, they're always going to get a bunch of people who don't care about baseball and are just tourists and Lakeview 20-somethings who are just going to a few games because they have a lot of disposable time and money and are just there with a crowd to have beers. I bet this part of the crowd generally don't follow baseball and hardly ever put a ballgame on TV.

soxinthecity
05-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Though I like all the attention the Sox are getting I just don't want it to become a circus and some going for the sake of just going and not there for the game.

Cat Thief
05-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Though I like all the attention the Sox are getting I just don't want it to become a circus and some going for the sake of just going and not there for the game.

IMO this is already happening.

tstrike2000
05-26-2006, 10:50 AM
It's also nice that we sell out the 3 game set with Oakland and sweep them while the cubbies get swept by the AAA Marlins in Florida. Perhaps the cubs would get some of their audience back if the baseball were the size of a water cooler, since they seem to hit that very well.

Vernam
05-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Though I like all the attention the Sox are getting I just don't want it to become a circus and some going for the sake of just going and not there for the game.Back in the 80s, there used to be clinics to teach women the ins and outs of football, so they wouldn't be left out while their husbands vegetated in front of NFL games on TV. We need something like that for the bandwagon Sox fans. I want to see the park full, but I can't bear some of the inane banter. (One reformed Cub fan behind us recently asked, "What's that white cement thing the pitcher is standing on?" I'm not making that up.)

Brooks Boyer needs a series of "Baseball for Dummies" clinics. They should cover the basics (e.g., no tossing back home-run balls, no squealing like 2nd-graders when someone hits a pop fly) along with intermediate (not drinking until you puke yourself right at your seat, a common sight across town) and advanced skills (knowing M&M Man's cell number).

Vernam

Sox-on-TV44
05-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Brooks Boyer needs a series of "Baseball for Dummies" clinics. They should cover the basics (e.g., no tossing back home-run balls, no squealing like 2nd-graders when someone hits a pop fly) along with intermediate (not drinking until you puke yourself right at your seat, a common sight across town) and advanced skills (knowing M&M Man's cell number).

Vernam
"Baseball For Dummies".Cubs fans should take that course!:D: :D: :supernana:

eurotrash35
05-26-2006, 11:19 AM
It's our role to step in and play the role of the informed sox fan when we see travesties like that. Who needs a class when you have smart fans all over the stadium? If I hear people say stupid things I'll politely correct them, and we all do the "We don't do that here" call when people want to toss a ball back. This only adds to the draw for your average fan because not only are we not a bunch of loudmouthed drunks at the park but we're friendly and knowledgable about the game as well. Well, friendly as long as we're not sucking it up on the field anyway.

miker
05-27-2006, 05:00 PM
It's our role to step in and play the role of the informed sox fan when we see travesties like that. Who needs a class when you have smart fans all over the stadium? If I hear people say stupid things I'll politely correct them, and we all do the "We don't do that here" call when people want to toss a ball back. This only adds to the draw for your average fan because not only are we not a bunch of loudmouthed drunks at the park but we're friendly and knowledgable about the game as well. Well, friendly as long as we're not sucking it up on the field anyway.
Wasn't there a thread about this not too long ago?

voodoochile
05-27-2006, 05:26 PM

I never believed it until now... You truly are the master dark cloud...:tongue:

Great news and no real shock. I mean the flubbies huge year was the year after they came " " close to going to the World Series. Interesting that the ratings don't go back further. I bet the flubs were much lower the year before.

Win again this year and watch out...

No matter how fun the Wrigley experience is live, there is no way it can be fun to watch that group of clowns on TV.

Hmmm... I wonder if that is a reason their TV ratings are still higher than the Sox. None of the "real fans" want to go deal with the zoo environment that a trip to Wrigley has become. TV sounds just fine rather than constantly have to deal with that group of riff raff...

voodoochile
05-27-2006, 05:28 PM
"Baseball For Dummies".Cubs fans should take that course!:D: :D: :supernana:

Most of them have masters in it from getting their sports news only from the Cubune in the first place...

voodoochile
05-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Oh and I wonder if this is going to be the new attendance argument.

[attendancedarkcloudposter]What is wrong with you freaks? The Sox are getting killed in the ratings rankings. Why the **** can't you idiots stay home and support a winner?[attendancedarkcloudposter]

I want Mags back
05-27-2006, 05:41 PM
i like the quote about 'Cubs ratings may be up for comic relief" HA HA

SoxFan64
05-27-2006, 06:11 PM
No matter how fun the Wrigley experience is live, there is no way it can be fun to watch that group of clowns on TV.

I don't know this clown is all right by me.

:andy

1 Dog
05-27-2006, 07:03 PM
The national media would do well to try to market the Sox better. The Sox are a dangerous team that can win a game several different ways. Even if I was not a Sox fan, I would watch their games, because you will see good baseball being played (most of the time).

Obviously, the 2005 WS was my favorite ever for personal reasons. Still, the last two autumns have seen some phenomenal, even historical, runs by AL teams. That is good for the overall health of the game (unless the NL keeps going downhill). I guess my point is that you would think that the national media would take this opportunity to do something different and exciting themselves.

Oh well...