PDA

View Full Version : The Big Hurt Dissed by Rangers Broadcasters

RKMeibalane
05-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Earlier tonight, during the A's-Rangers MLBTV telecast, Josh Lewin was giving a brief summary of Frank's career numbers and all-time ranks. He then posed the question to his partner, Tom Grieve (father of Ben Grieve), "Is Thomas a HOF'er."

Grieve said, "After his tenth year of huge production, I thought he was a shoe-in, but because of the last couple of injury-plagued years, I think his chances have been hurt. I guess he's still got a chance."

Hey, Tom! Your son sucks at baseball! :cool:

EndemicSox
05-25-2006, 11:10 PM
As long as he keeps his average above .300, he is a lock. He may not be a first-ballot HOF'er, and there will be many "experts" who didn't see him play that often who say he is not HOF material, but the Big Hurt was on top of the game for quite a while.

KnightSox
05-25-2006, 11:12 PM
"What have you done for me lately" does not apply to a future HOF candidate, what a moronic statement.

Tragg
05-25-2006, 11:13 PM
I get a fair amount of Rangers games down here, and Grieve has never liked Frank much. He used to rag on his D all the time.

Also in that game, baseball's only 103 win quality team, the team who's second 5 pitchers could be the 1st 5 on 30% of the staffs in the league, blew a 7-0 lead and falls to 3 under .500. (uh, per Joe Sheehan that is).

TDog
05-25-2006, 11:40 PM
As long as he keeps his average above .300, he is a lock. He may not be a first-ballot HOF'er, and there will be many "experts" who didn't see him play that often who say he is not HOF material, but the Big Hurt was on top of the game for quite a while.

I'm not so sure anymore. Thomas never got along with most baseball writers who vote on the Hall of Fame, and his hanging on to get 500 home runs when he's in physical shape that would have forced retirement 35 years ago isn't helping his cause.

I'm not saying he doesn't belong. I'm saying that some of the baseball experts dissing him are people who vote for the Hall of Fame. He's more deserving than Bert Blyleven, obviously, who isn't deserving but still inspires columns in his support. Thomas will be seen as a DH, not a first baseman, just as Harold Baines, despite being an outstanding right fielder with a great arm, will be seen as a DH. Some voters will count that against him.

Frank Thomas will probably get to the Hall of Fame, but I no longer see him being elected on the first ballot.

StockdaleForVeep
05-26-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm not so sure anymore. Thomas never got along with most baseball writers who vote on the Hall of Fame, and his hanging on to get 500 home runs when he's in physical shape that would have forced retirement 35 years ago isn't helping his cause.

I'm not saying he doesn't belong. I'm saying that some of the baseball experts dissing him are people who vote for the Hall of Fame. He's more deserving than Bert Blyleven, obviously, who isn't deserving but still inspires columns in his support. Thomas will be seen as a DH, not a first baseman, just as Harold Baines, despite being an outstanding right fielder with a great arm, will be seen as a DH. Some voters will count that against him.

Frank Thomas will probably get to the Hall of Fame, but I no longer see him being elected on the first ballot.

All depends really who will be on the ballot with him. Plus to prove how moronic the statement is about after thomas' 10th season then his injuries hit so me may not be a HOF'er, in that regard, Griffey JR isnt a hall of famer because he has had only 1 healthy season in cincinatti.. Reason why griffey comes to mind too is cuz they both were at the primes of their careers at the same time, at one point they were chasing Marris. So when griffey goes, i presume thomas will be before or lil after

Oblong
05-26-2006, 12:40 AM
I think it will be interesting how the voters deal with these guys when the time comes. A look at his numbers and it's pretty much a no brainer. I wouldn't be surprised if voters don't consider some of the bigger offensive figures from the 1998-2003 period. I don't give the voters a lot of credit on thinking things through. They seem to have a tendency to just go on initial feel and leave it at that. They could see Thomas and see a big musclular dude and just assume he was on steroids and not vote him in.

I think because of that Griffey and Thomas will be underrated. I see Griffey as more of a shoo-in because he's got the magic HR number.

This isn't what I think should happen but what I think the voters will do.

I've liked Thomas ever since he tipped me $300 for giving him and the other players a ride back from a Windsor bar at 4 am.

Chips
05-26-2006, 12:59 AM
I think it will be interesting how the voters deal with these guys when the time comes. A look at his numbers and it's pretty much a no brainer. I wouldn't be surprised if voters don't consider some of the bigger offensive figures from the 1998-2003 period. I don't give the voters a lot of credit on thinking things through. They seem to have a tendency to just go on initial feel and leave it at that. They could see Thomas and see a big musclular dude and just assume he was on steroids and not vote him in.

I think because of that Griffey and Thomas will be underrated. I see Griffey as more of a shoo-in because he's got the magic HR number.

This isn't what I think should happen but what I think the voters will do.

I've liked Thomas ever since he tipped me $300 for giving him and the other players a ride back from a Windsor bar at 4 am.

Nobody thinks that Thomas is juiced up.

MUsoxfan
05-26-2006, 02:19 AM
Earlier tonight, during the A's-Rangers MLBTV telecast, Josh Lewin was giving a brief summary of Frank's career numbers and all-time ranks. He then posed the question to his partner, Tom Grieve (father of Ben Grieve), "Is Thomas a HOF'er."

Grieve said, "After his tenth year of huge production, I thought he was a shoe-in, but because of the last couple of injury-plagued years, I think his chances have been hurt. I guess he's still got a chance."

I don't know what the problem is. I agree with Grieve's statement. He's not at 500 HR's or 3000 H's yet which are seen as the benchmarks for a HOF hitter. I love the guy, but Frank is a borderline HOF'er at best

SouthSoxFan
05-26-2006, 10:07 AM
For the decade of the 90's, he was the best hitter in the game. Two MVP's.
All-time OPS leaders...
1. Babe Ruth 1.1638
2. Ted Williams 1.1155
3. Lou Gehrig 1.0798
4. Barry Bonds 1.0533
5. Todd Helton 1.0404
6. Jimmie Foxx 1.0376
7. Albert Pujols 1.0372
8. Hank Greenberg 1.0169
9. Rogers Hornsby 1.0103
10. Manny Ramirez 1.0076
11. Frank Thomas .9947
12. Mark McGwire .9823
13. Mickey Mantle .9773
14. Joe DiMaggio .9771

He'll be in Cooperstown.

skobabe8
05-26-2006, 10:21 AM
If you are the best hitter in the history of a 105 year old franchise you are a HOF'er. I don't care who you are.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-26-2006, 10:36 AM
"What have you done for me lately" does not apply to a future HOF candidate, what a moronic statement.

It's good that baseball's HOF makes every ballplayer wait five years before becoming eligible for induction, if only so complete idiots like Grieve have no choice but looking at everyone's total career -- not just their twilight years.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-26-2006, 10:40 AM
For the decade of the 90's, he was the best hitter in the game. Two MVP's.
All-time OPS leaders...
1. Babe Ruth 1.1638
2. Ted Williams 1.1155
3. Lou Gehrig 1.0798
4. Barry Bonds 1.0533
5. Todd Helton 1.0404
6. Jimmie Foxx 1.0376
7. Albert Pujols 1.0372
8. Hank Greenberg 1.0169
9. Rogers Hornsby 1.0103
10. Manny Ramirez 1.0076
11. Frank Thomas .9947
12. Mark McGwire .9823
13. Mickey Mantle .9773
14. Joe DiMaggio .9771
He'll be in Cooperstown.

Personally, I hope Frank is smart enough (lucky enough?) to retire the exact same year as Barroids. Then the voters will have a clear choice about what the last 15 years of baseball have been all about.

If Barroids is the greatest juicer of the 90's, then Frank Thomas is the greatest hitter. With five extra years of perspective, the choice will be even clearer than it is today.

Baby Fisk
05-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Nobody thinks that Thomas is juiced up.
We should run this by WSI's Unfounded Allegations Guy. Berkules, your thoughts? :cool:

RKMeibalane
05-26-2006, 10:52 AM
It's good that baseball's HOF makes every ballplayer wait five years before becoming eligible for induction, if only so complete idiots like Grieve have no choice but looking at everyone's total career -- not just their twilight years.

Agreed. As far as HOF players are concerned, this is how I see it:

Frank Thomas is a HOF'er.

Ken Griffey Jr. is a HOF'er.

Mike Piazza is a HOF'er.

Jeff Bagwell is a HOF'er.

Roger Clemens is a HOF'er.

Pedro Martinez is a HOF'er.

Greg Maddux is a HOF'er.

Tom Glavine is a HOF'er.

John Smoltz is a HOF'er.

Randy Johnson is a HOF'er.

Curt Schilling is a HOF'er.

Manny Ramierz is a HOF'er.

Craig Biggio is a HOF'er.

Barry Bonds is not a HOF'er (his numbers through '99 are good enough, but it's looking more and more likely that he's going to be banned for life).

Sammy Sosa is not a HOF'er.

Mark McGwire is not a HOF'er.

Rafael Palmeiro is not a HOF'er.

tstrike2000
05-26-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't know what the problem is. I agree with Grieve's statement. He's not at 500 HR's or 3000 H's yet which are seen as the benchmarks for a HOF hitter. I love the guy, but Frank is a borderline HOF'er at best

I disagree with one thing. He's a sure Hall Of Famer. Obviously Frank has his share of detractors, but based on the numbers of .300, 20 hr, 100 rbi, 100 runs, 100 walks for 7 straight years, career .300 avg, .400 OBP, 450+ career HR, and 2 (what should've been 3) MVP awards should put him in.

batmanZoSo
05-26-2006, 11:18 AM

Just the bold text right there and that he goes on to question Franks worthiness proves he's an idiot.