PDA

View Full Version : Cubune article on Josh Fields

maurice
05-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Suggests (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0605250225may25,1,3913773.story?coll=chi-sportswhitesox-hed) that they might move him to LF to replace Podsednik. :?:

I suppose he could end up replacing Dye in RF, but first he'd have to win a death match with Ryan Sweeney.

soxfan1983
05-25-2006, 05:40 PM
thats interesting... if they "replaced" podsednik in left... would he move to centerfield then? but at the same time... pods IS 30 years old, and even though hes only been in the league for a few years now... hes getting up there in baseball age. so who knows....

Randar68
05-25-2006, 05:42 PM
thats interesting... if they "replaced" podsednik in left... would he move to centerfield then? but at the same time... pods IS 30 years old, and even though hes only been in the league for a few years now... hes getting up there in baseball age. so who knows....

1) Pods isn't a CF'er, end of story
2) Losing Pods would mean being back to a lead-off hitter-less team.

caulfield12
05-25-2006, 11:45 PM
My personal feeling is that Owens is probably never going to be an everyday MLB player. Of course, many said the same about Rowand and even Crede (another Snopek?) And going out and getting someone like Juan Pierre has risks as well. Itīs easier to replace a bat than it is to find one of the 6-8 true difference makers in MLB, the Chone Figgins, Pods, Jose Reyes type of disruptor at the top of the line-up.

All things considered, as long as Pods is completely healthy, you have to favor keeping him over Dye, because he is so important to the psychology of this team and its aggressiveness. You also have the injury question mark about Dye, especially as he gets into his 30īs.

Obviously, a lot depends on the development of Sweeney (power especially) and whether or not Fields can adapt to LF.

And for all those trying to trade Garland....buy low, sell high. Not the opposite.

Tragg
05-25-2006, 11:49 PM
I agree with Randar - When you're talking about a left fielder, that Pods is a left fielder is the small issue...the big issue is that he's lead-off hitter, the only decent one we've had since Tim Raines.

White Sox Randy
05-26-2006, 10:28 AM
I think that we would be better off trading him to a team that needs a young thirdbaseman. We might be able to get something substantial for him.

I think Crede is our man for the future. Fields bat is not THAT great and then not being a natural OFer, I think his value is a lot lower there.

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2006, 10:49 AM
I think it might be wise for the Sox to hang on to Fields. Even if the Sox lock up Crede long-term (which I would like to see), Fields could become their starting first baseman once Thome leaves or retires at the end of his current contract, because Paulie then could move to DH.

I have to trust others' observations about minor leaguers, though, since being in Texas I don't get opportunities to see Sox prospects at all.

I would be concerned if Owens isn't the answer as Podsednik's eventual replacement in 2008 or 2009. Once Pods loses his speed, the Sox either would need to overpay to get someone like Carl Crawford, or would have to find a high-OBP guy who may not have terrific base-stealing prowess, but who would get on base for the plethora of good hitters who will bat behind him.

veeter
05-26-2006, 12:57 PM
To me, the bottom line is, Fields has NEVER played in a regular season major league game yet. He is still simply a prospect. So before we think about changing around a world championship team, the kid needs to prove himself. Being 30 y/o as Pods is, that is not old at all. Guys play well into their 30's these days. I think Josh is the real deal, but I'm not ready to anoint him a starting spot just yet.

White Sox Randy
05-26-2006, 02:26 PM
How about trading him to Philly for Gio ?

Grzegorz
05-26-2006, 10:41 PM
I think it might be wise for the Sox to hang on to Fields. Even if the Sox lock up Crede long-term (which I would like to see), Fields could become their starting first baseman once Thome leaves or retires at the end of his current contract, because Paulie then could move to DH.

Casey Rogowski anyone??? Fields is a keeper; lets see how he handles the switch to the outfield. I am not sure first base is in his future.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Casey Rogowski anyone??? Fields is a keeper; lets see how he handles the switch to the outfield. I am not sure first base is in his future.

Yeah. The Carlos Lee route seems like the best option for now.

Ol' No. 2
05-27-2006, 02:51 PM
The problem is, the Sox are stacked with OF prospects, and they don't have that many openings. Anderson is going to be holding down CF for some time to come. Pods isn't going anywhere any time soon, either, mainly because he fills the leadoff spot. At best they might have an opening in RF, and they already have a bunch of options there. (Can Fields even play RF?)

It seems to me he's approaching trade bait status, along with Rogowski. And as trade bait, he's a lot more valuable as a 3B than as a LF.

SoxFan64
05-27-2006, 03:58 PM
The problem is, the Sox are stacked with OF prospects, and they don't have that many openings... At best they might have an opening in RF, and they already have a bunch of options there... It seems to me he's approaching trade bait status, along with Rogowski. And as trade bait, he's a lot more valuable as a 3B than as a LF.
I agree. I wonder if he can move to SS ala Cal Ripkin. But that is not a given either. Would he be an upgrade to Uribe? Offensively, perhaps. Defensively, hard to see that one.

But if Fields is such a good athlete then they should try him out at other spots. Heck, PK and CLee both were 3Bers at points in their Minor League career. No use trying.

But ultimately I think he is trade bait if we sign Crede long-term.